REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 08-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #176
Rider

Thanked 2,601 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse_x View Post
Good to know I'm 21 and making more than OP's suggested brackets.. though I still disagree with the numbers.

Not to patronize, but I'm making more than all my close peers and parents, but it really depends on your work.

I know people who are 20 and clearing 200k a year.. but they're working in Ft. McMurray.
do you know what jobs they are doing up in ft mcmurray ?

in the mine field on site ?

are they engineers ?
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #177
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
How do u guys make all that money? I'm grossing under 30k. I guess there are way too many CAs out there
I feel sorry for you if you're making that money and you're an aspiring CA. Heck, you could make more than that in commissioned retail.

It has always been my understanding that fresh grads working for a big-4 firm are making at least in the 40s when they start.

Last edited by Tapioca; 08-19-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #178
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I feel sorry for you if you're making that money and you're an aspiring CA. Heck, you could make more than that in commissioned retail.

It has always been my understanding that fresh grads working for a big-4 firm are making at least in the 40s when they start.
All depends on your profession and the company you work for. I'm a AutoCAD designer @ a small (25 people) electrical engineering firm. Started @ gross 40k/year and got a raise after the 3 month probation. Yet I'm still going to go back to school because my speciality is in Architecture and I want more knowledge into the Civil/Structural side of the industry.
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #179

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:

How do you think the bigger CA firms make money?....use fresh new cheap labour, pay them nothing and charge them out for $200/hr
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #180
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

It's tough to find a job now. None of my co-workers are satisfied with their pay but it has been tough to switch. Kinda sad that we all have the defeated mentality that "at least we have a job". Gotta get out into the industry once get my designation and hope that things are better.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #181
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
How do you think the bigger CA firms make money?....use fresh new cheap labour, pay them nothing and charge them out for $200/hr
CA firms also drive their employees hard, so 70-80 hours a week on a fixed salary is where their money is made. Even if they're charging their clients 200/hour and paying their employees 20/hour (which is close to 40K), they're still making 1000%.

Quote:
All depends on your profession and the company you work for. I'm a AutoCAD designer @ a small (25 people) electrical engineering firm. Started @ gross 40k/year and got a raise after the 3 month probation. Yet I'm still going to go back to school because my speciality is in Architecture and I want more knowledge into the Civil/Structural side of the industry.
I think 40K/year is a reasonable starting salary if you're in a specialized profession, like what you describe. Friends of mine who were in similar situations as you started around that figure and now make 20-30K more than they did when they started.

Quote:
It's tough to find a job now. None of my co-workers are satisfied with their pay but it has been tough to switch. Kinda sad that we all have the defeated mentality that "at least we have a job". Gotta get out into the industry once get my designation and hope that things are better.
There's no question that it's a tough job market, but you have to be proactive if you want that dream job. A friend of mine who doesn't even have a CA designation was out of work for several months until he landed a gig at a medium-sized organization. He obviously hasn't shared what his exact salary is, but I'm fairly certain it's in the 50K range. You just have to put yourself out there and not feel sorry for yourself.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #182
The Fiesta Dipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
What is it that you do?
Work at a Box Factory in Richmond; by no means glamorous work but I get paid well and I it requires no post secondary most new hires are 18 years old right out of high-school.
Posted via RS Mobile
E_Fahlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #183

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Very hard to find a job. I would love to get into Architecture but the jobs aren't there. And networking is hard enough when your at the bottom of the barrel. Hopefully once I get back to school, meet more people and get the word out I want to be 40hrs/week at 1 firm, and freelance for afew more in my spare time. A work-a-holic of sorts, lol.

But ya..... the economy is still in the pooper and I'm happy making what I make now.. just wish it was more =P
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #184
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsomnii View Post
do you know what jobs they are doing up in ft mcmurray ?

in the mine field on site ?

are they engineers ?
Power Engineers, Process Operators at oil refineries, power plants..

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #185
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty_Capone View Post
Work at a Box Factory in Richmond; by no means glamorous work but I get paid well and I it requires no post secondary most new hires are 18 years old right out of high-school.
Posted via RS Mobile
Crown packaging?

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #186
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
There's no question that it's a tough job market, but you have to be proactive if you want that dream job. A friend of mine who doesn't even have a CA designation was out of work for several months until he landed a gig at a medium-sized organization. He obviously hasn't shared what his exact salary is, but I'm fairly certain it's in the 50K range. You just have to put yourself out there and not feel sorry for yourself.
Yea, not really pitying myself. It's more that it's a catch 22 where I know I should be able to get a better paying job, but in order to get a designation, we CA students HAVE TO work for these accounting firms and get paid peanuts. Not really a way around it because experiences elsewhere will not count. Just a bit frustrating that's all.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote