REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 12-09-2023, 06:53 AM   #4826
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,722 Times in 3,141 Posts
It’s so true. With my Costco getup and overall hobo-ey-ness everyone thinks it’s fake anyways.

I’m fine with that though, I don’t buy watches to bling. I buy watches to collect.
Advertisement
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2023, 07:12 AM   #4827
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,818 Times in 8,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
It’s so true. With my Costco getup and overall hobo-ey-ness everyone thinks it’s fake anyways.

I’m fine with that though, I don’t buy watches to bling. I buy watches to collect.
Of course I was cappin! It's true though, you know it
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2023, 10:33 PM   #4828
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,458 Times in 5,117 Posts
So I have quite a few G-Shock watches that I rotate through, but when I want to wear analog stuff there’s 1 cheaper quartz watch maker Skagen of Denmark that I really like the products of, they do a lot of Bauhaus design and are definitely more interesting to my eye than a Daniel Wellington or other such watches.

I had 3 of them already and had my eye on a collector edition 1/500 one that I had wanted for a bit, when I saw it marked down from $200-ish to $59 on Black Friday I had to jump in it. I think I got lucky and picked up the last one because after I bought it, the site said it was sold out!

It took awhile to get it as Canada Post punted the package around but I finally got it yesterday and I really like it, wore it all day today and feel like it shows a lot more expensive than it actually is.

68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2023, 10:53 PM   #4829

Very Bauhaus, yup. Is that entire dial lumed?
Old 12-14-2023, 04:58 AM   #4830

Totally looks like a nomos but with some more character. Well done !

How big is that case ?! It looks huge. The crown is elegant too
Old 12-14-2023, 06:51 AM   #4831
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
BRB throwing away my Nomos in the trash

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 07:23 AM   #4832
Performance Moderator

Haha I don't know about that, I would still love a Nomos Ahoi myself... but definitely could be mistaken for one at a very quick glance I guess lol

It's a 44mm case I think and yes the whole dial is lumed.
Old 12-23-2023, 04:17 PM   #4833

I saw this at holt today. Weird. It’s a customized Rolex explorer II. Grossly overpriced but interesting

https://www.holtrenfrew.com/en/Produ.../p/20267034001

Old 12-23-2023, 04:38 PM   #4834

Why do that to a Rolex and not a Seiko?
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2023, 04:53 PM   #4835
Performance Moderator

Cuz fuck you money... "Yes I CAN afford to just fuck up a Rolex" lol
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2023, 05:40 PM   #4836

I’m waiting for it to continue dropping. Maybe if it was like 20k then it’s not a half bad buy cuz the explorer 2 is 18k on the gray market
Old 12-23-2023, 07:01 PM   #4837

16550/16570 are the best watch designs of the 80s and they turn it into an Instagram watch
Old 01-06-2024, 12:38 AM   #4838

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I haven't worn my Panerai in quite a while... Yeah, as you know, I replaced the movement with a Seagull based on the Unitas 6497-2... It wasn't really that necessary, but the replica was not keeping great time, and I thought it would be cool to get into the hobby of watchmaking

When I did it, I posted here that I had to deal with the seconds pinion, and just filed it off. Bad idea. I think the motion of filing it must have caused some damage, because the watch would stop at random times, even outside the movement with no hands. If it was a real ETA I would be pretty annoyed and would probably have to take it to a watchmaker to figure out, but it was a $30 Seagull, so I just bought another one. And some quality clippers to cut the seconds pinion off, instead of filing it.

Installing the new one, the setting lever of the keyless works kept falling off. I was pretty pissed, because I had gotten the watch like 90% reassembled, and couldn't get the stem to go in. I had to take it apart all over again, and figure it out. Comparing it to the first Seagull, I noticed the setting lever was just gone. So it must have fallen out and it's sitting on my floor somewhere I can't find.

So I took the setting lever out of the busted Seagull, and installed it into the new one. At this point I was quite proud! And happy I didn't have to disassemble the keyless works entirely.

Problem is, when I went to install the stem again, it fell off again. Upon further inspection, the screw that holds the setting lever in place was broken off. Below is a picture of the broken screw, beside a normal screw:

So I submitted for a refund.

If I feel like taking watchmaking even further, I could take it apart more to move that screw over to the new movement. But man this is tough! I bought the visor that was recommended here, but now I need a proper desk - my computer desk is too low, or my seat is too high, so working on this stuff is not comfortable. We'll see I guess.

The other option is to take the barrel spring and move it to the first replica movement, since I think that's what's causing it to lose accuracy as it winds down. It's perfect at full wind, but gets more and more inaccurate as the spring unwinds. We'll see I guess.

Kind of annoyed, because I really like this watch, and it's been sitting in my drawer in pieces for weeks now
I was finally able to get it up and running again!

I pulled that setting screw out of the old movement, which meant first removing the ratchet wheel and barrel wheel (btw the screws look identical but one is reversed) and the bridge holding them on both movements. I could keep the click in place which is nice (one less part to potentially lose, especially the tiny spring).

Swapped the setting screw over, installed the dial, installed the hands, installed the movement into its case. Looks great! But it won't run

For some reason, the escapement wheel wouldn't fully tick over. I put it away and slept on it (but not before ordering another movement, after getting a refund on this one.. doh. I did cancel it though, let's see if that goes through), and it occurred to me the next day that while I did a better job of clipping off the seconds pinion, there was probably somewhere between 0.1-0.3mm of it still sticking out, and it could only be a problem when the dial was pressing onto it

Popped the dial off and sure enough, it's ticking away perfectly again

To get rid of that remaining pinion, I used an emery board very carefully. No file this time lol. I flattened it off, making sure to Rodico up any dust that might have been generated. It will probably still die some time; we'll see.

Put the dial back on and it works this time! Reinstalled the hands, cased the movement, and I am once again up and running, after over a month. I even got a new gasket for the case back - the last one got stretched when I was installing the case back some time. Lubed it up a bit first to prevent this from happening again.

I forgot how happy it makes me to wear this watch; I really want to own a real one some day, or a high quality vintage replica might be even better. I know they 're not expensive for some people in here, but there's no way I can spend that much on something so frivolous right now, even if it does give me joy. One day, perhaps! Until now, I love this fake cheapy watch, especially now that I've put some work into it myself.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2024, 03:38 AM   #4839
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Nice work. Honestly, being able to afford and owning a gen wears off after awhile and you wonder wtf you paid that much for it. That's how I felt when I owned a gen PAM 111 and had way more fun with the reps
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2024, 05:55 AM   #4840

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
Nice work. Honestly, being able to afford and owning a gen wears off after awhile and you wonder wtf you paid that much for it. That's how I felt when I owned a gen PAM 111 and had way more fun with the reps
I hear you on that. It just feels like it would be 'correct' somehow, you know? After taking this thing apart many times, I have an even deeper appreciation for how much of a cheap replica it is, even though it looks totally great from far away, and it still pleases me to wear it. Maybe I'd have to try wearing a genuine to see if I feel any different about it. I adore the history of Panerai, but as I've posted here several times, they really shit on their own history constantly, so it makes little sense to reward Richemont just for being the one that bought the company.

BTW I have to thank you for the suggestion on the magnifying headset. I don't know if it's better than using a traditional loupe, but it works great for me
Old 01-08-2024, 12:18 PM   #4841

yes considering most of these fancy, thousands upon thousands of dollars watches are only there to tell the time (inaccurately too i might add) and the occasional date, you really are wondering what the hell am i spending money for.

Its an ego thing, its a status thing and its basically the only business acceptable jewelry for men. Your nipple rings are not presentable.

Enjoy your watches! whatever you do, dont squirrel them away. Just wear it and love it.
My crazy wife keeps putting my watches in the safety deposit box at the bank and i keep telling her to lay off my god damn shit.

Shes like what if you get jacked!? im like fuck it, who cares! i got insurance anyways.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2024, 02:12 PM   #4842

Yeah the idea of keeping things in pristine condition makes no sense to me. Who are you doing it for, the person you plan on selling it to? Zero sense. Wear that shit!
Old 01-08-2024, 09:29 PM   #4843
RS Veteran

Funny shit.

I managed to pick up a Moonswatch for my dad during a recent visit in HK.

I gift it to him when I came back during a short visit in Vancouver. I found out the asshole put it away in the safety deposit box in fear that thieves and bandits would jump out of a Toyota LE Van and chop off the arm wearing the watch. I was so disappointed. Wish I made this up.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2024, 11:11 PM   #4844
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I gift it to him when I came back during a short visit in Vancouver. I found out the asshole put it away in the safety deposit box in fear that thieves and bandits would jump out of a Toyota LE Van and chop off the arm wearing the watch. I was so disappointed. Wish I made this up.
Ah, the good old 'pak yao' vans. That's still how I point them out when we see one on the road.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 01:02 AM   #4845

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Funny shit.

I managed to pick up a Moonswatch for my dad during a recent visit in HK.

He couldn't tell it's basically a McDonald's toy watch?
Old 01-09-2024, 01:06 AM   #4846

Finally took a moment to try on a watch I've been eyeing for a while (iykyk)

Love a big ol chunky pilot chronograph

Really like the way the subdials are all the way out... Center of the dials look almost exactly where the 3 and 9 hour indicators would go. No numbers being cut off either. 12 hour counter added to the small seconds subdial as well. Looks good man

This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2024, 06:54 AM   #4847
RS Veteran

Quote:
He couldn't tell it's basically a McDonald's toy watch?
That's what I was telling him. I told him this is not even a real Moonwatch.

In his head, it's an Omega and that means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2024, 07:00 AM   #4848

old people are hilarious and cute. Just tell him its a real Omega (it kind of is) and then he'll love it even more. OMG OMG MY SON BOUGHT ME AN OMEGA!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Finally took a moment to try on a watch I've been eyeing for a while (iykyk)

Love a big ol chunky pilot chronograph
Skinny you really got a theme going on here. This is one nice piece! it matches really well with the Panerai
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2024, 07:11 AM   #4849
RS Veteran

He legit thinks its a real Omega which is why he thinks it's super expensive. #AsianFail!

Old 01-09-2024, 07:52 AM   #4850

ah good enough, you still get some street cred with that watch vs say a regular seiko or citizen.

hilarious!