REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   HDTV for free (https://www.revscene.net/forums/465060-hdtv-free.html)

SumAznGuy 04-13-2007 02:53 PM

HDTV for free

Do you think this will work?
http://members.shaw.ca/hdtvantenna/pictures.htm

Looks like I have a weekend project, besides painting my place.

corollagtSr5 04-13-2007 02:59 PM

So is this just an antenna you use instead of cable?
I don't think this will work

97ITR 04-13-2007 03:05 PM

Yes, this will work. It's just receiving OTA HD signals which are more popular in the states but, unfortunately, not so much here. In Vancouver, you'll be lucky to just get CBC-HD. Oh, your t.v will also need a built-in atsc tuner.

corollagtSr5 04-13-2007 03:20 PM

well after reading the entire page, i guess it could work
it says the tv has to detect a digital reading of a certain frequency

carisear 04-13-2007 03:39 PM

but, apperently OTA gives a better signal than cable does? at least, that's what i read on the forums a few months ago. i dunno how true it is.

1990TSI 04-13-2007 06:19 PM

So this probably wouldnt work in squamish then right? :(

I think my TV would support it

97ITR 04-13-2007 06:46 PM

OTA HD signals are supposed to yield a better picture and best of all it's free; however, all of this is a moot point because, as I've already mentioned, CBC is the only HD channel broadcasted OTA in our city and even that isn't receivable throughout the GVA. So even if you do fashion this makeshift antenna, you'll only pick up that one HD channel if you're lucky. If you want HD in the GVA, unfortunately, you're stuck with cable or satellite.

vic_086 04-13-2007 07:56 PM

if you have a built in ATSC tuner in your television, you would be able to pick up on about 4 channels of high definition. But like a person said, this is more popular in the states, it's not a big deal here yet.

All this guy did was build an antenna, which you have the option of buying in a store. If you pick up a good active instead of a passive antenna, it would give you a stronger signal

b0unce. [?] 04-13-2007 08:07 PM

if anyone actually makes this and it works.
willing to pay and buy one?

vic_086 04-13-2007 08:13 PM

^ buy it in stores

Presto 04-13-2007 08:31 PM

UHF antenna is less than 20 bucks at XS Cargo. I tried it in Coquitlam, and got nothing. I'm in a really open area now in Langley... it might be worth trying again. Even if it's only CBC-HD, i don't care. That's all that really matters anyways... Hockey Night in Canada! I just get the rest of my HD off the net.

SlayerS_`BoxeR` 04-13-2007 08:38 PM

anyone tried it yet?

yangwenli 04-14-2007 01:23 AM

nice found. I just bought shaw hd cable box because I need to see channels higher than 60. Damn Shaw moved Golf channel to 144

Vansterdam 04-14-2007 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Presto
UHF antenna is less than 20 bucks at XS Cargo. I tried it in Coquitlam, and got nothing. I'm in a really open area now in Langley... it might be worth trying again. Even if it's only CBC-HD, i don't care. That's all that really matters anyways... Hockey Night in Canada! I just get the rest of my HD off the net.
hockey night in canada in HD would be good enough for me to try this :D

syee 04-16-2007 01:29 PM

Game 1 & 2 of the Canucks playoff games were in OTA HD. :D Thursday's game is in HD on CBC and game 7 (if it goes that far) will be on HD as well. It's about time they showed some Canucks games in HD!

As for me, I'm using this for my HD antenna. I get CTV and CBC with it. I'm in East Van (near Nanaimo Skytrain) and just point it north (towards Mt Seymour which is where the transmitters are)

Presto 04-16-2007 02:13 PM

^^^

That's a nice antenna. How is the picture quality from where you are?

syee 04-16-2007 02:18 PM

Not bad. I get at least 70-80% signal if I point it north. Rarely drops out, although I do have pretty good line of sight to Mt Seymour. I use it indoors actually. (it's propped up against my couch) :D

perfect_g 04-16-2007 06:38 PM

no luck picking any up out here. I heard that the peeps in Toronto get a dozen OTA HD channels

syee 04-20-2007 02:15 PM

yeah...we definintely need a bunch more channels to make the investment worthwhile.

Back when I lived in Denver, I had like 10 channels available. With so many HD channels, I pretty much didn't need cable. :D

DJ Milk 04-22-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by perfect_g
no luck picking any up out here. I heard that the peeps in Toronto get a dozen OTA HD channels
That's because right across the river is Buffalo, New York which probably have 95% of the HD channels that people in Toronto is able to receive. If you get a big enough setup, you might be able to pull in some Seattle HD channels from here :p

godwin 04-22-2007 03:40 PM

Why not just get a FTA satellite system? There are tons of channels and you get HD.

syee 04-26-2007 01:38 PM

Some TV's will already have an ATSC tuner on it, so you don't need any additional hardware other than an antenna. FTA is nice, but you'll need to buy a receiver to use it.

johny 04-26-2007 04:09 PM

I was playing with a samsung 19" HD LCD at work today. hooked up a normal non directional TV antena to it. scanned TV channels for normal air signals (you get about 6 around here) and to my surprise it picked up CBC HD and CTV HD. so I guess it has a built in HD tunner.

pretty sweet :D definatly not full quality. an HD ant would probably be better. but looks fine with a normal tv ant.

AMG_ETR 05-05-2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by godwin
Why not just get a FTA satellite system? There are tons of channels and you get HD.
fta hd boxes are about 500 plus 200 for the rest of the gear, plus the only one that works is coolsat (sometimes works cause codes are pain to get), not really worth it in my opinion, just pay for bell hd for now and waite a year for fta hd...

godwin 05-06-2007 06:15 AM

There is also Viewsat HD, which can also receive HD OTA

Quote:

Originally posted by AMG_ETR
fta hd boxes are about 500 plus 200 for the rest of the gear, plus the only one that works is coolsat (sometimes works cause codes are pain to get), not really worth it in my opinion, just pay for bell hd for now and waite a year for fta hd...