REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Buy & Sell > USED Automotive Vehicles For Sale ONLY

USED Automotive Vehicles For Sale ONLY Zero Tolerance for violation of rules.
Used Cars, Sedans, Wagons, SUVs, Sport Bikes for Sale...

Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #51
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

have you ever purchased a 3 day trip permit to drive the car around in WA? Cause I need to drive the car back from Lakewood WA on tuesday...just wonderin...I don't have the title in hand yet...its still in the mail. Gonna park her in blaine until I get the paperwork done.
Advertisement
gti303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #52
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
They are not numbered. You can photocopy it.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #53
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
found a few online...

any one in particular I should use?

http://abouttime.files.wordpress.com...-worksheet.pdf
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...export_wks.doc
http://www.moverscanada.com/vehicle_export.html

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 11-19-2007 at 04:54 PM.
fliptuner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #54
shwangsta

Lowside67 much props and thanks for the all info. They should pay you at riv for doing something the govt couldnt make clear.

Can you help me answer some questions? I'm thinking of importing a 2007 Infiniti M35, the savings for the car is incredible.

In Part 2, Step 2:

1) What is the 6.1% duty and 6% GST charged based on? I'm assuming that's it's based on the amount the paperwork states you bought the vehicle for.

2) If it is based on the paperwork, technically could i have the seller mark the car lower and pay him the rest on the side? Therefore pay duty and tax on a paperwork that claims I bought a 07 Infiniti for "$20,000"?

3) to apply the duties and taxes, Is it converted to CDN from USD first depending on the rate that day?

Many thanks in advance again!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #55

Both my autoplan agent and ICBC customer service have told me an insurance binder is not enough to legally drive a car accross the border. I also need to buy a Transit Permit from Washington to license the car itself. ICBC told me they would impound the vehicle at the border if I did not have this Transit Permit. Perhaps the first post in this thread should be modified before someone gets themselves in some hot water...

Talked to Washington State Licensing: 360-902-3600

The "transit permit" is good for one day. You can buy a "trip permit" that's good for three days for ~$30.

Cost Cutter Licensing is just across the Baine border crossing 360-332-7089.

Last edited by Dr Pooface; 11-21-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Dr Pooface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #56

I bought a trip permit, and on it it only said 'No vehicle shall be driven on a WA highway without displaying a valid permit'. Or some variant of this...so I think we can drive around the small roads?

The insurance binder did not include the temp permit though to stick on the back of the car...I think this should be ok?
gti303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #57
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

What about this situation:

My brother (temporarily) works in the states...he has a US Driver's Licence and bought a new SUV and has been driving it for the past 4 years.

When he moves back, can he bring it here and sell it here?
PhamJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:58 AM   #58
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pooface Both my autoplan agent and ICBC customer service have told me an insurance binder is not enough to legally drive a car accross the border. I also need to buy a Transit Permit from Washington to license the car itself. ICBC told me they would impound the vehicle at the border if I did not have this Transit Permit. Perhaps the first post in this thread should be modified before someone gets themselves in some hot water...

Talked to Washington State Licensing: 360-902-3600

The "transit permit" is good for one day. You can buy a "trip permit" that's good for three days for ~$30.

Cost Cutter Licensing is just across the Baine border crossing 360-332-7089.
Actually, if the vehicle you are buying has valid plates (tags) on it, then you do NOT need a permit, you just need the binder. It is only if the vehicle does not have valid tags that you will need the permit.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 AM   #59
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally posted by PhamJam
What about this situation:

My brother (temporarily) works in the states...he has a US Driver's Licence and bought a new SUV and has been driving it for the past 4 years.

When he moves back, can he bring it here and sell it here?
He can bring it back but he has to go through the same process as everybody else.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally posted by lowside67
He can bring it back but he has to go through the same process as everybody else.
Paying duty/taxes as well though?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #61
Old School RS

Duty for sure. There is a possibility that he can get around taxation under what are called "settler's effects" but I dont know either way. Talk to a broker.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #62

Quote:
Duty for sure. There is a possibility that he can get around taxation under what are called "settler's effects" but I dont know either way. Talk to a broker.
OK Thanks LowSide!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #63
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Hello everyone!

I just completed the import of a 2003 Lexus IS 300. It was a private sale, seller in Tacoma. While the info from Lowside is excellent and appears to be complete and accurate, I'll add a few tips from my experience.

IGNORE THE NUMBERING SYSTEM. I tried to organize it and gave up. My mind is all over the place.

1) The duty is based on the purchase price of the car. The border wanted a copy of the cheque which I didn't have, but I did have the bill of sale (just a purchase agreement signed by both parties) and I had a printup of the ad which was fine. If Canada Border Services is skeptical about your price, they'll charge you what THEY think the car is worth, so backup your claim.

1b) Duty is not paid on North American made vehicles (or MOSTLY NA made). If your VIN starts with a 1,2 or 4 (I think) you shouldn't have to pay duty. My lexus VIN starts with a J (Japan) and I paid.

2) Calling Lexus for the Recall Clearance letter was brilliant. They were helpful and friendly and it was faxed to me the next day with hardcopy in my mailbox in 72 hours. Don't bother emailing (I got no response), call the 1-800 number and say hello.

3) I bought a travel binder to bring the car up. It lasted 10 days and cost 60 bucks with extended coverage and comprehensive.

3b) I spoke to insurance agencies in washington... No washington insurance was required. The seller left his plates ('tabs') on the car, which is what you need plus your insurance binder to get the car to BC.

4) Bring copies of everything! Bill of sale, ad (if applicable), cheque, email from US customs stating that the car can be exported, etc. The guy at the US border said the car wasn't ready despite the email they sent stating it was. I didn't have a copy but I pushed and he released it.

6) Your insurance binder is only for point A to point B, once the car is in BC it should go straight to your home, you need temporary insurance for getting the inspection done.

7) Form 2 gets sent to you by RIV once you've entered the country and paid the import fee (despite info on some websites, I didn't pay this fee at the border). If you request it at time of payment, you can get form 2 faxed or emailed to you instead of snail-mail, saving lots of time. I was registered and driving happily (and legally) friday in a car that was imported on tuesday!

Those are all the tips I can think of at the moment.

Even though I had to pay duty and GST (no GST on private sales in Canada), the GST/PST was on a lower purchase price than if I bought it here, and I'd have paid PST anyways. Even the cost of driving 2 cars to Tacoma (twice) to buy and take home the car, licensing and finally inspections, I still saved myself about $4,000 on a used vehicle. I considered it worth the work, which isn't work if you can follow directions.

Most importantly, I got to extend my options to really find the car I wanted since these aren't exactly abundant...

Good luck!

Brandon
ScaryFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #64
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

meyowa wangowa
porsche911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #65
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanks for this awesome writeup.

If my vehicle is older than 15 years, than do I still need a recall letter?
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #66
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Actually, if the vehicle you are buying has valid plates (tags) on it, then you do NOT need a permit, you just need the binder. It is only if the vehicle does not have valid tags that you will need the permit.
wat exactly is valid plates?? any lisence plates?? US plates?? US plates with insurance on them??
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #67
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

are there any dealers/brokers who can do the whole process for a fee? like getting a NEW car, doing all the paper work, and bringing it straight to the door.
weiweiwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #68
jep
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I am looking to import a Porsche from California and I have three questions:

1).Is GST on an importing a car higher than usual or is the 6% GST noted on the first post the old rate?

2).Can all the dealerships of the particular car I'm buying provide the recall letter?

3).Anyone know how much dealerships charge for this recall letter or is it free?

FS: Movado Watch, Canucks Tickets, Diecast cars, Keurig, Weight Bench

I'm Tony Montana, you f*ck with me!
You're f*cking with the best!
jep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #69
Old School RS

1) It's now 5%.

2) They can write the letter but there's no guarantee it will work if it doesnt come from PCNA (head office). PCNA will not write you a letter, so if RIV declines your letter you're hooped and the car cant be registered.

3) Depends on the dealership, if I were buying one, I'd be expecting them to write it for free.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #70
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally posted by pingu81
The RIV website says:

All vehicles (except buses) that are over 15 years or older by the date of manufacture are exempt from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles program. You must be able to prove the age of the vehicle to a Customs officer.

What specifically does this mean? Which steps in the first post of this thread can be considered skipped assuming that the car is 15 years or older?
Quote:
All the US side is the same, everything regarding the title, bill of sale, etc is the same. The difference is you are not required to pay the $209 to the RIV, not required to do a federal inspection (ie you dont need DRL).
hey lowside
so cars over 15yrs of age are exempt of the gas consumption tax?
federal inspection?

im lookin into a 67 Lincoln. private sale, and has good tabs.
what steps can i skip???
locoslancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #71
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

DOES ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT THE Excise Tax ON A 99 ECLIPSE SPYDER ? i WANNA GET ONE FROM THE STATES BUT DONT KNOW TO MUCH ABOUT THE IMPORTING STUFF.
P.M. ME WITH THE ANSWER
THANKS
BALL3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 PM   #72
I don't get it

if you read the whole thread, i believe you'll see that only 2007+ vehicles are subject to excise tax.

My RS Feedback
EcLiPsEbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #73
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

i dont think this has been covered yet, however if anyone can offer their knowledge, it would be great.

Assuming you buy a brand new car from a dealership, the dealership there will not finance you right? So does this mean the only option is to buy it out right?

I guess it is possible for a bank to give you a loan to buy a car, but im not sure how likely and more complicated then it becomes?

Thanks
10051981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #74
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Excellent write up. I will be printing it off and take it with me to go through the process.

Perhaps the original post could be updated to show that the Excise tax is for 2007+ vehicles only, and GST is now 5%.

Last edited by TouringTeg; 05-27-2008 at 07:57 PM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:47 AM   #75
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

umm, the car that I am bringing over doesnt have a place for the front licence plate, can I get it across the border and to the point where things like daytime running lights and such need to be dealt with prior to the federal inspection?
Hot Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote