REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Buy & Sell > USED Automotive Vehicles For Sale ONLY

USED Automotive Vehicles For Sale ONLY Zero Tolerance for violation of rules.
Used Cars, Sedans, Wagons, SUVs, Sport Bikes for Sale...

Old 04-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #76
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pooface View Post
Both my autoplan agent and ICBC customer service have told me an insurance binder is not enough to legally drive a car accross the border. I also need to buy a Transit Permit from Washington to license the car itself. ICBC told me they would impound the vehicle at the border if I did not have this Transit Permit. Perhaps the first post in this thread should be modified before someone gets themselves in some hot water...

Talked to Washington State Licensing: 360-902-3600

The "transit permit" is good for one day. You can buy a "trip permit" that's good for three days for ~$30.

Cost Cutter Licensing is just across the Baine border crossing 360-332-7089.
I just came back last week without front plates. I just had a trip permit from Washington and binder insurance from ICBC.
Advertisement
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #77
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Does anyone know if I still need to pay a/c tax for a 15 year and older car?

Also, do those storage places need to be notified ahead of time?

Last edited by DC5R; 06-24-2008 at 09:45 PM.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #78
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5R View Post
Does anyone know if I still need to pay a/c tax for a 15 year and older car?

Also, do those storage places need to be notified ahead of time?
You need to pay the ac tax whether it is working or not.

I did not need to notify the storage place.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #79
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

what about bringing in RHD cars? someone is interested and lives close so how does that work?

Last edited by JDMes; 10-01-2008 at 11:25 AM.
JDMes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #80
I am Hook'd on RS

Does anyone know if you can still bring lifted trucks across the border? I've gotten mixed info from alot of different sources. Some say you can bring them over but Inpsection shops will not pass lifted trucks, and some people say you can't bring a modified truck over the border at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.
lifeonacloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #81
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeonacloud View Post
Does anyone know if you can still bring lifted trucks across the border? I've gotten mixed info from alot of different sources. Some say you can bring them over but Inpsection shops will not pass lifted trucks, and some people say you can't bring a modified truck over the border at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.
As I have said before, the agents at the border have no say as to whether your vehicle can come across the border or not as long as it is listed as an eligible vehicle on the RIV's list. However, to license your vehicle it will have to pass a BC Out of Province inspection. You need to verify with any shop that can perform this inspection what modifications are acceptable.

Also, to go through a federal inspection which is also required, things like aftermarket steering wheels that affect a factory airbag may be an issue.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #82
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
wat exactly is valid plates?? any lisence plates?? US plates?? US plates with insurance on them??
Anyone know the answer to this question. I need to know ASAP too.

The word tags is used too, whats that?
machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #83
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Love this info very very very useful. One question, do you know anything about importing into mexico. i have a friend who would like to import an old land rover defender into mexico. Other question would be about the importing into canada, if you are a dual citizen is there any red tape that you wouldnt have to go through when importing? or is it all basicly the same? if anyone can answer these greatly appreciated. Thanks
akelly907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #84
RS Lurker, I don't post!

hey.. um.. the link to the pdf is no longer valid... this is what I got from the RIC site

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...list/vafus.pdf
Bproof21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #85
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

This is great information!

I do have 1 question that has not been answered in this thread. Are there any further steps required if the car being imported has a salvage title?

Thanks in advance!
srv777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #86
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

amazing info ... im curious if there is a fuel excise tax if i were to bring a vehicle across the borderin north dakota to sask and then have it inspected and insured in sask ?
kent stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #87
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Question looked on eligible list all hondas are of course there, so what about bringing in a rhd newer civic type r etc... Cause technically the 96 civic is on the list... but its rhd..
hondalsvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #88
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

this is list is only for US cars into canada.
d_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #89
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

So you cant bring US registered JDM cars unless they are 15 years old?
hondalsvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #90
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

ohh.. i'm not sure about that.
could be a loop hole in that.
d_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #91
RS Lurker, I don't post!

lowside67

Thank you for putting this guide together. I have found it very useful. I know you spent a lot of time on this so I was trying to not bug you with additional questions.

I am wanting to buy a 2003 toyota from a toyota dealer in San Francisco. I am planning to fly down and pick it up. He is claiming that because I am picking it up and not having it shipped I have to pay California state tax. You and others have said that is not the case. Is there a tax exemption form or something I can point them to.

Thanks
CDN Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #92
RS controls my life!

Bump, I'd like to know the same answer to the post above me. Thanks.
2009 Honda Ruckus
007WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #93
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Guy View Post
lowside67

Thank you for putting this guide together. I have found it very useful. I know you spent a lot of time on this so I was trying to not bug you with additional questions.

I am wanting to buy a 2003 toyota from a toyota dealer in San Francisco. I am planning to fly down and pick it up. He is claiming that because I am picking it up and not having it shipped I have to pay California state tax. You and others have said that is not the case. Is there a tax exemption form or something I can point them to.

Thanks
I dont know about a specific form, however, in my experience, the fact that I am buying with an out of state address, driver's license, and most importantly, am not titling the vehicle in CA, has been enough to not pay tax. I am confident that they are not required to charge sales tax to out of state buyers, however, I dont have a link to a specific piece of legislation, etc. You will just need to convince them.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #94
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondalsvtec View Post
Question looked on eligible list all hondas are of course there, so what about bringing in a rhd newer civic type r etc... Cause technically the 96 civic is on the list... but its rhd..
The RIV is very 100% clear that in the case of vehicles <15 years old, only vehicles originally sold in the United States and on the list of eligible vehicles are allowed to be imported without exception.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #95
RS controls my life!

Does someone have directions to the border crossing in Blaine, not the Peace arch, but the vehicle import area.

Thanks
2009 Honda Ruckus
Old 11-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #96
RS controls my life!

Disregard that last post.

Another question. The car I bought had it's tags expire (from California) in October and right now it has "storage" registration on it.

1. My question is, can I get the insurance binder from icbc as is with the cali plate like this?

2. If not, do I need to get an insurance binder for the california plate as well as a trip permit from California DMV?

3. Do I have eat up the full year registration costs?

And if I do have to go and get the trip permit, aren't that going to try to make me pay california state tax?

I'm going this saturday, so the sooner the answer, the better.
2009 Honda Ruckus

Last edited by 007WRX; 11-01-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #97
Old School RS

A question, by PM:

Quote:
Regarding the Inefficient Vehicle Fuel Excise Tax (Green Levy):

You state that this tax is primarily for 2008 model vehicles, that doesnt seem to be the case, i have called trend/lp auto and on a 2006 trailblazer ss they are telling me that i have to pay a excise tax of $3000 from what i understand from you is i shouldnt since the car is a 2006, any way you can clarify this for me?
Answer:

That is completely, and blatantly 100% false.

From the RIV:

Quote:
Excise tax (Green Levy) on fuel inefficient cars

This tax is applicable to vehicles purchased in Canada or imported from the United States and is applied to a passenger vehicle if it:
is a car, SUV or van with a weighted average fuel consumption of 13 litres per 100 km or higher, and was put into service after March 19, 2007.
Vehicles are taxed, based on weighted average fuel consumption, at the following rates:
At least 13, but less than 14 litres per 100 km: $1,000
At least 14, but less than 15 litres per 100 km: $2,000
At least 15, but less than 16 litres per 100 km: $3,000
16 or more litres per 100 km: $4,000
Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #98
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007WRX View Post
Disregard that last post.

Another question. The car I bought had it's tags expire (from California) in October and right now it has "storage" registration on it.

1. My question is, can I get the insurance binder from icbc as is with the cali plate like this?

2. If not, do I need to get an insurance binder for the california plate as well as a trip permit from California DMV?

3. Do I have eat up the full year registration costs?

And if I do have to go and get the trip permit, aren't that going to try to make me pay california state tax?

I'm going this saturday, so the sooner the answer, the better.
1, 2: If the tags are expired, you will need a permit in addition to an insurance binder. To drive in the US, you need a permit and insurance - they are separate. If you do not have a valid plate, you need a permit in lieu of it. Regardless of whether you have permit or plate, you need the ICBC Binder.

3, 4: I doubt it, but the best bet is to call the California DMV.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #99
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post

Answer:

That is completely, and blatantly 100% false.
thanks for clearing that up, I was actually pretty shocked when LP Auto(revscene sponsor) told me that I had to pay the excise tax on a 2006 SUV, Exact words were" since the car you are importing will first see service in CANADA (Oct 2009) you have to pay" also stated they charged another customer that imported a 2005 SUV the excise tax! How ever I did not end up importing through them since clearly they are not aware of the procedures or are trying to make a little more cash by telling this to customers who are importing for the first time!

Thanks for the info, and a great write up.

A little tip for 1st time importers do some of your own reasearch before letting a import company do all the work for you, I almost learned the hard way!!
mj_39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #100
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_39 View Post
thanks for clearing that up, I was actually pretty shocked when LP Auto(revscene sponsor) told me that I had to pay the excise tax on a 2006 SUV, Exact words were" since the car you are importing will first see service in CANADA (Oct 2009) you have to pay" also stated they charged another customer that imported a 2005 SUV the excise tax! How ever I did not end up importing through them since clearly they are not aware of the procedures or are trying to make a little more cash by telling this to customers who are importing for the first time!

Thanks for the info, and a great write up.

A little tip for 1st time importers do some of your own reasearch before letting a import company do all the work for you, I almost learned the hard way!!
Indeed.

If anybody feels the desire to drop beer off to me, just send me a PM...

I also accept Paypal and full frontal nudity of your girlfriend.

-Mark