REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Buy & Sell > USED Automotive Vehicles For Sale ONLY

USED Automotive Vehicles For Sale ONLY Zero Tolerance for violation of rules.
Used Cars, Sedans, Wagons, SUVs, Sport Bikes for Sale...

Old 08-13-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Guide to Importing US Vehicles

My Guide to Importing a Vehicle from the US to Canada:

PART 1 - BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR VEHICLE

Step 1 - Check your vehicle can be imported!
This is the RIV eligibility list to determine which models can and cannot be imported:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...ist2/VAFUS.pdf
* IF YOUR VEHICLE IS 15 YEARS OLD OR OLDER, IT IS AUTOMATICALLY ELIGIBLE
* ANY VEHICLES NOT ORIGINALLY SOLD IN THE USA - IE JDM VEHICLES - ARE NOT ELIGIBLE

Step 2 - Determine if Your Vehicle Has an Excise Tax <-- NEW
The BC Government has now determined that if your vehicle is inefficient on fuel, you will be required to pay an extra excise tax.
* ONLY REQUIRED ON VEHICLES THAT WENT INTO SERVICE MARCH 20, 2007 OR LATER (PRIMARILY 2008+ MODEL YEAR VEHICLES).
The official ratings for 2009 model year vehicles is here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/et/et...h-2009-eng.pdf

Step 3 - Purchase Your Car
Regardless of what the seller says, you do NOT pay tax to whatever state it was purchased in since you are not a resident of that state. (I have been advised that some people have had states require you to pay tax. I have bought vehicles from 39 states now and never been required to pay tax, but inquire at the DMV or tax office for the specific state you are buying a vehicle in.) Make sure you have:
1) A title for your vehicle, fully signed over to you
2) A bill of sale for your vehicle, must clearly indicate VIN #, purchase price (and currency), kms, the seller's personal information, and the buyer's (your) personal information.
* MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THAT THE TITLE'S VIN # MATCHES THE VEHICLE AND THAT THE SELLER'S ID MATCHES THE ID ON THE TITLE UNDER "OWNER"

Step 4 - US Export Documentations
You must contact Blaine US vehicle export office (assuming this is where you are bringing the vehicle across - Pacific Truck Crossing) and obtain a Vehicle Export Worksheet. You can phone them at 360-332-2632 and leave a message to receive it by fax or email them at cbp.blaine-export@dhs.gov and they will email it back to you. Fill out this form, along with a copy of the title (front and rear) and a copy of the bill of sale and either fax or email it back to them.
* THIS MUST BE COMPLETED 3 BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE THE VEHICLE CROSSES THE BORDER (NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE!)

PART 2 - BEFORE YOU CROSS, THE DAY OF

Step 1 - Insurance
You must have a way of legally driving your vehicle on the US and Canadian sides of the border. You can have your local Autoplan agent and have them issue you temporary insurance (called an insurance binder). Not all agents are aware this exists as it is not commonly used so if you have any problems asking for an insurance binder (which does exist, I promise!), just call another agent. To use this binder, you must also have the US plates on the vehicle, and they must be valid. If they are not, you will need to obtain a "trip permit" - this comes from the DMV from wherever you are buying the vehicle.

Step 2 - Prepare Your Documents
For your day at the border you will need:
1) ORIGINAL title
2) ORIGINAL bill of sale
3) COPY of title (front and back)
4) COPY of bill of sale
5) Proof of insurance (may or may not be asked for, but make sure you have it just in case!)
6) Money. You may need a lot, or a little bit - you will need to be able to pay (they accept interac, credit card to a maximum of $500 on each card, and cash):
$100 A/C Excise Tax (if your vehicle has a/c)
$1000-$4000 Fuel Excise Tax (if your vehicle is subject to it)
6.1% Duty (if your vehicle has not been produced in North America)
5% GST

PART 3 - CROSS THE BORDER WITH YOUR VEHICLE

Step 1 - US Customs to EXPORT
Drive your vehicle from wherever it is in the US to the Blaine border crossing (make sure to go to the commercial crossing. Park your vehicle at the examination pullout (pretend you are driving across normally, you will see a small pullout on the left side right next to the window booths to enter the US). Bring your keys and paperwork inside and find the "VEHICLE EXPORT OFFICE." Give them your title and keys and they will confirm they have received and processed the paperwork you have sent them 72 hours ago. They may or may not inspect your vehicle, but the final result will be a "VEHICLE EXPORTED" stamp that goes right on your original title.
*YOU MUST ARRIVE BY 3:30PM ON MON-FRI OR THEY WILL NOT EXPORT YOUR VEHICLE!

Step 2 - Canadian Customs to IMPORT
Head over to the Canadian border. They will send you inside after you declare you are importing a vehicle and show you where to go inside.

Step 2A - Form 1
Ask the agent inside at the counter for a FORM 1. Go ahead and fill it out, asking the agent for help if you have any questions. Ensure you check "Credit Card" at the bottom and fill your credit card in to process the RIV payment.
*IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW WHERE YOUR VEHICLE WAS PRODUCED!

Step 2B - Assemble and Hand In
Make sure to sign and date both copies of the B3 that print and stick the barcode to it. Also fill this barcode in on your Form 1.

Step 2C - Wait
It may take 5 minutes, it has taken me as long as 6 hours one day. Luck of the draw and by how many people are there ahead of you. They will call you to the cashier by name when you are finished.

Step 2D - Pay
With whatever combination of Interac, Credit Cards, and Cash - pay your bill. Make sure you leave with:
1) Original Title
2) Original Bill of Sale
3) Form 1 (yellow and white sheets) *MARKED PAID

Step 2E - Leave
Thank god this day is over!

PART 4 - AFTER THE BORDER

Step 1 - Out of Province (Provincial) Inspection
An "OUT OF PROVINCE" (Provincial) inspection is required. There are many shops in the lower mainland that are licensed to perform this (it should be approximately $75).

Step 2 - Compliance
Before your vehicle is federally inspected, you will need to make sure your vehicle has:
1) Daytime Running Lights
2) Speedometer labels in KMS (doesnt have to be the main display, an analog or digital readout is fine).
3) All lights (airbag, check engine, etc.) function properly and are out.
4) No open recalls (you will need written documenation of this)
NOTE: YOU MUST SCAN/EMAIL YOUR RECALL LETTER (ALONG WITH YOUR CASE # FOUND AT THE TOP OF YOUR FORM1) TO RECALL@RIV.CA BEFORE THEY WILL RELEASE YOUR FORM 2.
IF YOU CANT SCAN IT, CALL THEM AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU A FAX # BUT THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED - THEY OFTEN LOSE THESE FAXES.

Step 3 - Federal Inspection
By now you should have received in the mail your FORM 2 from the RIV. If not, give them a call at 1-888-848-8240 and ask them of the status of your case (your case # is printed on your form 1 and is a 6 digit number currently starting with H (H123456). Take this form, along with the white and yellow copies of your FORM 1, and recall documentation to any designated inspection centre (almost any canadian tire is one) and ask them to perform a federal inspection. This inspection is included in the RIV fee ($204.75 including GST as of the latest edit). They should stamp your documents and give you copies of the form 2 and recall letter and your original white and yellow copies of the form 1 back.

Step 4 - Register Your Car
Head over to your ICBC agent and bring with you:
1) WHITE copy of Form 1 (stamped by border & Canadian Tire)
2) ORIGINAL title
3) BLUE copy of provincial inspection

You're done! Your insurance agent will collect PST from you based on the amount you paid for the vehicle. With these 3 documents, the agent should be able to register your vehicle into the province and then add insurance and license plates should you chose.

Step 5 - Keep for your records
1) YELLOW form 1 copy
2) STAMPED form 2 copy
3) YELLOW provincial inspection copy
4) ORIGINAL bill of sale

Amended March 20, 2010
Advertisement

Last edited by lowside67; 03-30-2010 at 03:07 PM.
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

It is important to Note that if your vehicle is older then 15 years you dont need to do the federal inspection.

Also I have never had to make the Speedo read in Kms.. and never even heard of this.. (I could be just lucky)

Very good information though..

A+ to the author..
I have been thinking about writing one up.. but this saves me the trouble..
Old 08-14-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally posted by dah_hunter
It is important to Note that if your vehicle is older then 15 years you dont need to do the federal inspection.

Also I have never had to make the Speedo read in Kms.. and never even heard of this.. (I could be just lucky)

Very good information though..

A+ to the author..
I have been thinking about writing one up.. but this saves me the trouble..
Good point re: 15 yrs old.

As for the speedo in kms, it's definately the case. Kms dont have to be the biggest, or it can be digital, etc. but it needs to be somewhere. Vehicle like Mercedes where they show ONLY mph will need to be changed.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

sticked. so edited.
-Rik

Last edited by Rikter; 08-15-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Rikter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #5
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikter
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...hreadid=461568

WOw good job on making a thread to which there is already a sticky thread with over 1000 views.
-Rik
Actually, if you read that sticky, you'll see *I* wrote it.

They will be deleting that thread and stickying this one so that way I can update it.

But thanks for coming out, it really makes me feel appreciated for spending all this time to write it, and then answer PMs all day long about individual questions.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thnx lowside,the way I see it its just too much of a hassle to deal with unless you're after a car that absolutely hard to find here in good condition.

With all these taxes and fees you might be able to save a grand or two but think about the time you have to put into it.

But I guess once you do it and go through the headache once then the next time itll be easier for you the next time around.
BATDELSOL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally posted by BATDELSOL2
Thnx lowside,the way I see it its just too much of a hassle to deal with unless you're after a car that absolutely hard to find here in good condition.

With all these taxes and fees you might be able to save a grand or two but think about the time you have to put into it.

But I guess once you do it and go through the headache once then the next time itll be easier for you the next time around.
Agreed. One of the reasons I posted this is as a dealership who imports BMWs, Porsches, Audis, etc. from California, we often get people who go on Ebay and just multiply that price by the exchange rate and assume they're done - it's simply not the case. It usually works out that the more expensive the car, the better the savings.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Yeah on a used car you'll save a few thousand (and imo, you really don't spend THAT much time) but if you picked up a new car the savings are ridiculous.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

What if the "seller" of the car is already in BC with it? cruise down to the border. just get the export docs 3 days in advance or what?
TheSmokeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #10
Old School RS

At the US border they make it quite clear, during the 72 hour waiting period the car MUST remain in the US.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
Old School RS

Quote:
Sent by PM
what about bringing in modified cars? would it be more difficult?

i was thinking of bringing in a toyota supra but he has some mods on it..
its a 1994, would i need to aircare it when i register it in BC?
Two parts to this question...

Regarding modified vehicles:
As long as the vehicle is still the same general vehicle (ie has the proper VIN # and isnt some absolutely crazy kit car) you will have no problems at the border. However, you have to pass the BC Provincial Inspection (this is the exact same inspection as you have to pass when you are given a VI). You should contact a shop that is licensed to perform this inspection to ask them specific questions about motor swaps, etc. Generally suspension, body kits, etc. are OK, but lights, exhaust, etc. are often points of contention. In terms of interior, pretty much anything goes as long as you still have seats.

Regarding aircare:
Any vehicle brought in from the US can be registered once without aircare (so essentially you have 1 year's worth of insurance before you have to renew). Then the rules are the same as locally. All vehicles 2001 or newer are exempt from aircare currently. Since your vehicle is a 94, it will need to be aircared. More info at http://www.aircare.ca
Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #12
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

wat if one is buying a US vehicle from a private seller, how can u get orig. title & orig. bill of sale? can i just get a transfer form from an insurance company and fill it up like we do here in BC?? and for the bill of sale, i wonder do i needa fill up any special form if the car is sold under market value, like we do here in BC, and at last how can u do a lien check on US vehicle??
#133-2323 Boundary Rd.
Vancouver BC V5M 4V8
www.nmotionauto.com

Last edited by OverRev; 09-07-2007 at 08:44 AM.
OverRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:03 AM   #13
Banned By Establishment

what about motorcycles? and does anyone know if you can bring a motorcycle across the border inside a van?
pankrationisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #14
Old School RS

Sure but you are going to go through the same process - going inside, form 1, duty, etc.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally posted by lowside67
Actually, if you read that sticky, you'll see *I* wrote it.

They will be deleting that thread and stickying this one so that way I can update it.

But thanks for coming out, it really makes me feel appreciated for spending all this time to write it, and then answer PMs all day long about individual questions.
Thanx for all the info, this has helped me narrow down a car now.
'89 gixxer 750- parts possible future bike
'88 katana- black, missing guages fairing and a passenger seat, sexy
zumvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #16
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally posted by OverRev
wat if one is buying a US vehicle from a private seller, how can u get orig. title & orig. bill of sale? can i just get a transfer form from an insurance company and fill it up like we do here in BC?? and for the bill of sale, i wonder do i needa fill up any special form if the car is sold under market value, like we do here in BC, and at last how can u do a lien check on US vehicle??
Oops sorry, I didnt see this question here.

1) The seller even if they're private must have the original title as that is the only document that proves that they own the vehicle. Most states do not have a transfer form - the back of the title has a spot where the previous owner can sign the title which effectively says they are releasing ownership to whoever has the title. Bill of sale is not a standard document, just type something up make sure it has the VIN, your name and address, their name and address, make/model/year, kms, and the price (and the currency ie $USD).

2) If they have a clean and clear title in their name in their possession, that is in itself proof there are no liens. In the US, if you owe money on a car, the person who you owe money to holds the title in their name until you make the last payment in which case they will transfer the title to them. So to recap, if they have the title in their name in their possession, the vehicle is clear of liens.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:53 AM   #17
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Great info...

Any updates?
[RSX-S] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #18
Old School RS

My last post was 3 days ago...

Do you have a specific question?
Old 09-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Woops, sorry. I didn't see that. It says amended 2007, so I assume it hasn't been updated for a while.

Thanks for the info.
[RSX-S] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #20
I am Hook'd on RS

EXCISE TAX?? just another way for the government to get their hands in our pockets! bull$h*t
ridin18s01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:27 PM   #21
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

What is the best way to pay for the vehicle? Isn't there a law against bringing over $10K down or something? Or is that just for cash... could you bring a bank draft of the full cost??
prophit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 AM   #22
Old School RS

Technically the rule says you must declare whenever you cross the border with more than $10k in currency. Technically that means bank draft, cash, etc. and they will make you fill out some forms designed to combat money laundering, etc. The best way to buy a vehicle is probably with a bank draft and you can keep that in your wallet and either tell or not tell them depending on your mood. Keep in mind they may want you to verify that draft before you take their car away.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

great info. Do you need to have the title transfered into your own name before bringing over the car or do you just need the title with the sellers signature on the back?
acetrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #24
Old School RS

You just need it signed off.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:16 AM   #25
SG1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

not sure if this question is appropriate here.
Will vehicle manufacturers honor the warranty once it crossed the border? or do people need to take their car back to the US to have it serviced? Thanx
SG1 is offline   Reply With Quote