REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 11-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #501
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Went to Pho Tam after class today - got the usual #1 large and it ended up pretty good; must better than last time when the beef was way overcooked.
Advertisement
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #502
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6insomnia9 View Post
Just had pho at nainamo and broadway, its not bad but it isn't Le do.
you need to goto the one on nanaimo and 1st ave.
the good pho place has moved and the new owner now sucks.
TheSalesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #503
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt View Post
Pho Tan main and 30th HANDS DOWN.
I work near this place so I eat there once a week. Never disappointed.
chic604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #504
Banned By Establishment

just had lunch at lemon grass in Richmond and it was good as usual
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #505
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

FUK THIS THREAD!!!!!! im stuck in the UK with no fukin pho. Ive been craving for the past 3 months. god dammit!!! im goin to order 2 fukin big bowls of thaison spicy pho when i get to vancouver fuk me.!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #506
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I will be posting my mom's recipe on how to make PHO. So for all you lovers out there who want to learn how to make it, I'll be doing it for you within the next month (I think) with pictures.
<div id="zunecard_big" class="zunecard"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://social.zune.net//xweb/lx/swf/zunecard.swf?ver=1192" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2f zcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3fzunetag%3dbedheadfr 3d%26src%3dlarge&MMplayerType=PlugIn" height="260" width="548"></div>
Neoxphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #507
Need to Seek Professional Help

Pho Tau Bay in Surrey!
RiceFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #508
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxphuse View Post
I will be posting my mom's recipe on how to make PHO. So for all you lovers out there who want to learn how to make it, I'll be doing it for you within the next month (I think) with pictures.
Please try to take pictures

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #509
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
had pho 101 again yesterday, had their usual special and chicken wings..

satisfied again.. too bad the guy working there thens to slack off a bit, but the cooks are fast and presentation is good
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Please try to take pictures
Once my gf has free time and she wants to eat it, I will do it.

I will be making PHO GA (chicken Pho); however, you if you want BEEF all you have to do is substitute the beef with the pho. However, the beef broth takes about 3 hours to to stand and boil. Whereas the chicken pho is 10 mins. Beef broth also tastes better the following day; however, chicken you can eat right away.
<div id="zunecard_big" class="zunecard"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://social.zune.net//xweb/lx/swf/zunecard.swf?ver=1192" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2f zcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3fzunetag%3dbedheadfr 3d%26src%3dlarge&MMplayerType=PlugIn" height="260" width="548"></div>
Old 11-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #511
RS Veteran

I meant take pics of your mom and gf but the pho is just as good!

Just kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidding!

I've yet to see true, authentic homemade pho.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 11-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #512
Banned (ABWS)

Any Vancouverites out there:

Viet Do or Pho Hoa.
tyla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #513
Banned (ABWS)

^ey! I didn't fail, i meant "any vancouverites out there, check out: ____ ___" XD
tyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #514
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyla View Post
^ey! I didn't fail, i meant "any vancouverites out there, check out: ____ ___" XD
Here on RS. People fail posts for no apparent reason. Get use to it.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #515
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyla View Post
Actually, I think it is because you mentioned pho hoa.

Seriously man, if you even remotely think that place is good, you need to re-access your pho dining lifestyle.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

Seriously man, if you even remotely think that place is good, you need to re-access your pho dining lifestyle.
Worse place ever. Totally agree.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #517

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

"You got it, dude!"
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #518
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
+1 for how bad pho hoa is, went to the one in richmond... servers were "talking" in the back, floaters in the soup >.<
Confusing menu...
and did someone mention they reuse the soup?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #519
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^ small portions as well. I mean wtf. And the best thing is, they expect you to tip them, after not doing anything LOL
wuuhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #520
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxphuse View Post
Worse place ever. Totally agree.
nahh pho hoa is not the worst place but it is one of them. golden train and the place on broadway and cambie are probably worse. Have you tried the salad roll at the broadway & cambie? 1 bite and i spit it out and threw it away, it was disgusting and this dude beside our table ate 2 of them like they were good. I couldn't believe anyone can even eat that sh!t. My gf wanted them and she ate half of one and couldn't even stand it. The place is dirty too.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #521

I'll probably be making PHO next week (probably Sat). So for all of you want to know how it's done it'll be posted sooner or later.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #522
RS Veteran

^
Inviting us would be a much better idea.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #523
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Pho Tau Bay in Surrey, I think its 148 st and 108 ave? I'm not too sure about the address but it's in the same complex as Subway, Macs, The donair place [which I can't remember the name of] Anyways that place is pretty good, and they open til midnight on weekends.

Pho Tam by Surrey Central was pretty good too but I haven't been there in awhile so I'm not sure if the quality has gone down or not.

Thai Son [373 E. Broadway] is great for other Vietnamese food like bun bo hue, the crepes, caramelized fish or pork and that sour soup. I'm not sure about their pho though.
peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:24 AM   #524

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
If anybody's interested, I got this pho recipe from a member on another forum:

The trick to making good pho broth is this: low and slow. After you first parboil the bones to remove impurities, you want to cook it on low heat and for several hours.

Here's the recipe:

Broth:
5-6 lbs of beef shank bones, with marrow
2 lbs of beef shank meet (trimmed off silver skin and fat)
2 onions, charred on the outside, then scrape away the burnt bits. (You can cook this directly over flames for 4-5 minutes.)
1 4-5" finger of ginger, charred the same way as the onions
6 full star anise pieces
8 whole cloves
3-4" cinnamon stick
1 1.5" thumb-size piece of yellow rock sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
4-5 tablespoon fish sauce (adjust to your liking)

To cook the broth, first bring a pot of water to a boil. Put in the bones, then boil for 4-5 to let the impurities float to the surface. Dump out the pot. Make sure the bones are well rinsed so there're no loose bits.

Cover the bones with about 6-7 quarts of cold water. Add in onion, ginger, cinnamon stick, salt, fish sauce, and the shank meat. Wrap the star anise and cloves in a piece of cheesecloth, or put them in a teaball, so you can remove them later. This spice pack should be removed after about 2 hours, but you can leave it in longer if you want a more aromatic broth.

Bring the broth to a boil, then turn down to low heat. Remove the shank meat (not the bones) in about 60-70 minutes. Wrap up so it doesn't dry out, set aside.

Let the broth cook on low (or even simmer, depending on how much heat you have). The key is to not invigorate the broth too much. Skim off the scum and fat that float to the top, but do leave a bit of fat behind (it's delicious fat, man). Let it cook for 5-6 hours, but at a minimum 4 hours is needed. I find that after 6 hours, you get significantly diminished return when you cook it longer. So, longer cooking is really not necessary. That said, if you leave the broth overnight, it'll deepen in flavor.

That's it for the broth, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Just let it cook on low, and you can go about your business, e.g. go to a local pub for a little bit.

As for the content of the bowl, I use sirloin meat (in the freezer for a few minutes, sliced thinly), beef meatballs (with tendons), beef tripe (optional), pho noodles (soak for about 30-45 minutes before cooking), thorny cilantro, cilantro, thai basil, mint, beansprout, lime, and onion (optional). (You don't need all of the herbs, but at a minimum get thai basil, beansprout, cilantro, and lime.)

Oh, if you like the tendon bits, once the both is done, take a small knife and trim off the tendon bits off the bones. (This is where I usually get my fill of tendons before other people get to them. )

------------------------------

If you've never seen pho made before, there's an extra chapter for you. After you've cooked everything, removed the bones, sliced the meats, etc.--crank up the heat and get a rolling boil going.

In a separate, smaller pot, fill with water and bring up to a boil. Take 1 serving of the soaked pho noodles, put in a strainer, then dunk in the boiling water for 3-4 minutes, until the pho is al dente. Take out, strain, put on the bottom of a large bowl.

Next, layer a few slices of the cooked shank meat, a few meatballs (cut in half), some tripe or tendon pieces (optional), then a few slices of the raw, thinly sliced, sirloin. Spoon the boiling broth over this, season with pepper if necessary. Serve.

At the table, have all the veggies (rinsed and dried), lime wedges, etc. arranged on a big plate. Have a container or a bottle of hoisin sauce, and sriracha, on the table as well. Let your guests help themselves to the veggies and condiments.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:52 AM   #525
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
FUK THIS THREAD!!!!!! im stuck in the UK with no fukin pho. Ive been craving for the past 3 months. god dammit!!! im goin to order 2 fukin big bowls of thaison spicy pho when i get to vancouver fuk me.!
http://maps.google.ca/maps?rlz=1C1CH...ed=0CBAQtQMwAA

dude... there are pho places in the UK. i duno which city you're in though.

when I was in london for a few months there was no way I could go without pho.

I tried like.. 5 different places? they all were a rip off and sucked ass.

EXCEPT ONE PLACE. lol it's kinda far out, i forgot the area, and the name of the restaurant, but it was good. I'll ask my friend, she may remember but, i doubt it. anyways it was the only good pho restaurant in all of london, i swear.

and don't trust any review of any asian restaurant in england, i swear, the people there don't know what they're talking about when it comes to food.

if No 9 opened in chinatown there, they'd be the best Chinese restaurant... in all of the UK probably, i swear.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote