REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #51
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
i just went to donair affair today,had the carribean beef and honestly was not impressed. It was bland, and not spicy enough at all.

If you like that place, do yourself a favour and try best donair like 5 mins away from there. 160th and fraser to the left and behind the IGA, across from a bubble tea place.

This is my unbiased opinion, Best Donair, has way more varieties, way more flavorful or spicy depending what you get. The only reason i rep them so much is cause if that place closed i would seriously cry.
is it in the same complex?
or like across the street on the petero canada side?

seriously, when i get back to vancouver i'm going to all these places!
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
no its right in the same complex, same building as the IGA just behind the coffee shop
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #53
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I ate Donair at SFU and liked it until I realized that they use HALAL chicken so I would never ever eat that ever again. Does the Donair in Surrey use Halal meat???????????
nbjovo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #54
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
What's wrong with Halal chicken?
(Genuinely curious because I can't think of any reason why.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #55
VLS Head Mod

^^ what is Halal chicken??
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #56
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
variety of substances are considered forbidden (haraam) as per various Quranic verses:

* Pork, or any pig-based products (e.g., pork gelatine)[Qur'an 2:173]
* Blood[Qur'an 2:173]
* Animals slaughtered in the name of anyone but God (there are debates regarding the permissibility of meat slaughtered by Jews, i.e., kosher meat).[Qur'an 2:173]
* Carrion[Qur'an 5:3]
* "Fanged beasts of prey" as per the Sunnah, usually simplified to all carnivorous animals, with the exception of most fish and sea animals[citation needed]
* All intoxicants (especially alcohol).[Qur'an 2:219]

There is some disagreement among Muslims regarding seafood, especially predatory sea creatures. IFANCA (Islamic Food and Nutrition Council of America) states, regarding the opinion of Islamic scholars:[3]

* All are in agreement that fish with scales are halal
* Sunnis consider all fish to be halal, while some Shias consider only shrimp and fish with scales to be halal[4] Within mostly the Hanafi School of thought, there is a strong position that shellfish (shrimp, lobster, crab, clams, etc.) are prohibited[citation needed].

* Most agree that frogs are haraam due to the prohibition of killing them in hadith.[citation needed] In fact it is common belief among Southeast Asian Muslims that animals who live on both land and sea (such as amphibians, some reptiles, and some species of bird) are off limits.[citation needed]
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #57
HELP ME PLS!!!

ok i went to the lpace on fraser highway, the one in the IGA complex, my donair was freak'in COLD!!! they guy didn't even keep it warm.

donair affair is where it's at. best donair i've had in canada so far.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #58
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

My fave is on the southwest side of Robson and Granville (across from Sears). I forgot the name but it's a tiny joint, take out only with only enough room for you to line up to buy the shwerma/fallafel. I think they opened another one 2 doors down with seating space but the menu is a bit different. Everytime I go there is a lineup.

Stay away from the place on Crystal Mall, i have no idea what crap sauce they put in but it sure was not Tzakiki or Hummus. They used some brown sauce, gross me out...
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #59
I am on the internets

there is THE BEST shawarma place in kerrisdale called Al Pasha.

the guy is SUPER nice and I can guarantee yo, it will the best shwarma EVER.
he pays attention to every detail in every shwarma..

its DELUX
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #60
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Bumping an old thread because I have just recently discovered donairs and am in love.

I remember back in France, all I would eat were gyros with fresh french fries on top. It was simply amazing.

Anyways, I recently came back from Chilliwack and stopped by a place called Peggi's Donairs or something like that it rekindled my love for donairs.

Question is, what is the best place that you guys know of that is in the Burnaby/East Vancouver area for Donairs?

I read this thread but it revolved around Surrey mostly so please, let me know your donair places in East Van or Burnaby!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #61

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
There's one in bby along kingsway in crystal mall. It's store front is facing kingsway so you can access it from there (I ended up walking around the mall for 20 min looking for it lol).
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #62
RS Veteran

^
Abdul's! This place is an absolute must! It's across from "Big Lai Palace" on the corner where the HSBC is (Kingsway/Willingdon)

That guy is awesome! Super friendly and the donairs/shwarmas he makes are delicious!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #63
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^
Abdul's! This place is an absolute must! It's across from "Big Lai Palace" on the corner where the HSBC is (Kingsway/Willingdon)

That guy is awesome! Super friendly and the donairs/shwarmas he makes are delicious!
How does Abdul aka "boss" look like..?

Is he the only male worker in the place since it's a small joint?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #64
RS Veteran

Yeah, it's a small joint I think beside an insurance agency or currency exchange. That, or some computer place.

I'm not sure how to describe him but he's an older Arabic man with an obvious accent. Wears glasses and has a beard. Just walk in and call him boss. He loves it and gets a thrill from it.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #65

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Only bad thing about abduls was I saw how he makes the donairs.. no gloves lol. Big sweaty hairy hands go all over your lunch hahah
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #66
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
so?

anyways

place next to celebs and babylon on granville and robson are best probably.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #67
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
try donair dude on davie
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:16 AM   #68
Banned (ABWS)

There is a new donair place across the Joyce Skytrain station called Donair Land. This is my new fav donair place in East Van/Burnaby (better & fresher than Abdul's imo) and the dining area is nice and clean.

Donair Land still cannot compete with the donairs you can get downtown though.
RollingStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #69
CRS

Alright, since the weekend I'll rate a few of the Donair places I've been. Sort of went on a Donair binge.

Peggi Sou Donair (Chilliwack) - 9/10

Gives military discount so if you have a military ID, I think it is something like 50% off which is ridiculous. Portions are huge and everything is fresh and ridiculously awesome tasting. It is a small hole in the wall and is family owned. I would suggest anyone and everyone to go try this place out. I get the large donair everytime and it is really big. The regular should satisfy most people.

Solav Souvlaki & Donair (Burnaby - Metrotown) - 7/10

Another hole in the wall and there isn't really anything to complain about. However, there isn't anything to write home about either. It is very regular and normal and there isn't very much else to say. I don't remember anything extraordinary.

Abdul's Barbeque (Burnaby - Crystal mall) - 7/10

Same as the above, nothing to really write home about. Provided a unique taste that I didn't get at the above. However, the lettuce and tomato taste super fresh. The beef shoulder, however, lack something to be desired. The sauce was decent the hot sauce was pretty good.

Donair Land (East Vancouver - Joyce Station) - 8/10

Portion was kind of small compared to the rest (as in meat and greens) but everything tasted super fresh and clean. I'm not sure how I would define as something tasting clean but I guess it was crisp and you know what you're getting hasn't been laying around for days. Right now they have a deal for 3.99 for the donair so it is the best value so far.

Donair Town (Burnaby - SFU) - 8/10

Probably one of the very few meals I'm willing to eat everyday at SFU. I always order the super beef and there is a lot of beef there. The lettuce and tomatoes are alright but nothing as fresh as Abdul's or Donair Land but isn't bad either. I get it with garlic sauce and it is very good. Only complaint really is that I get super thirsty after eating it but while I'm eating it, it is awesome. Higher ranking because of value and the sheer amount of beef you can get with the "super".

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 11-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #70

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
ive had many donairs in my life and i can say the best places are:

Paradise donair in new west - two medium donairs and a drink for like $8 taste awesome and cheap as fuck

Best donair in surrey on fraser/160th - by far the best donair ive had in my life like 12 different flavors, get a meditaranean donair if you dont mind a little spice
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #71
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
ive had many donairs in my life and i can say the best places are:

Paradise donair in new west - two medium donairs and a drink for like $8 taste awesome and cheap as fuck

Best donair in surrey on fraser/160th - by far the best donair ive had in my life like 12 different flavors, get a meditaranean donair if you dont mind a little spice
I used to go to Paradise Donair all the time, when they had donairs for students for only a buck. Haven't been since!
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #72
My homepage has been set to RS

I'm not a big fan of SFU Donair. It's OK, but nowhere near as good as Babylon Cafe downtown.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #73
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

My favorite shawarma plate is on commerical, its called Best Falafel,, its awesome there! it's a clean place and very authentic! its on commerical between E 4th and 5th.
MASTER_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #74
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTER_J View Post
My favorite shawarma plate is on commerical, its called Best Falafel,, its awesome there! it's a clean place and very authentic! its on commerical between E 4th and 5th.
This place sucks now. It was great 7-8 years ago. Now the portions are very small. I would need two shawarma plates to be full
Posted via RS Mobile
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #75
My homepage has been set to RS

have any of you guys tried the donair place by St. Thomas Moore Collegiate? i forgot the name. it's right across the street from what i remember, that was the only place i've tried donairs, but i had it everyday after school, i'm not even exaggerating..
boss_clad is offline   Reply With Quote