REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Newbie Drop in Hockey (https://www.revscene.net/forums/548077-newbie-drop-hockey.html)

SumAznGuy 11-26-2008 02:39 PM

Usually, comfirm there is a spot for you, and then pay when you show up.
If you comfirm there is a spot for you and you no show, expect them to ask you to pay anyways because in the end when not enough people show up, the organizer will be out some money. If you give enough notice, they may be able to find someone to fill that spot.

AzNightmare 12-07-2008 09:29 PM

I just came back from Ice Level sports store, and bought all the stuff I needed. Ended up paying $300 for jock underwear, pants, socks, knee, elbows, shoulder pads, and jersey.

I think I spent a bit more in this store than if I just stuck with Sportchek because the stuff they got at Sportchek are more mid range and cheaper. But I only went to Ice Level because of the store credit I had. And everything's final sale too. But I guess it's hard to buy stuff bit by bit in each store because I wanted to know how everything felt when I wear all the gear together.

Anyway, I'm glad that's done, and pretty excited to come out now on Dec 13. I was told to bring white socks/jersey and coloured socks/jersey. But I only got black socks and a black practice jersey. I don't really want to spend another $30-35 right now to get white socks and jersey as well. Is it possible if I just get put on the coloured team or something?

F3 12-08-2008 01:25 AM

Ppl aren't anal about sock color matching your jersey color so most ppl will only have 2 different colored jerseys and not socks as well. It's best to have a dark and light jersey but for now u can probably just borrow one from someone else or hope to get put on the dark team.

raygunpk 12-08-2008 04:30 AM

Yeah, socks don't matter but jerseys do for sure. I wear purple socks sometimes, nobody cares. Check out smaller stores like Sports Exchange for good deals and specials.

Noir 12-08-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 6161103)
Is it possible if I just get put on the coloured team or something?

Yes it is possible.

Other than that, you don't need socks either. But its good to have a white coloured prac. jersey as well. BTW, prac. jerseys are $10-$20, not $30-$35. So if you don't mind skipping a McDonalds meal or 2, that already pays for your expense right there :D.

It's also a pretty friendly group. So I'm sure if you're put on the "white" team to balance out strength, that some people will have spare white jerseys to lend as most guys come with a "dark" and "white" jersey.

Keroleen 12-08-2008 03:41 PM

Ill have extra pink jerseys from my team so you will have a light jersey =)

AzNightmare 12-08-2008 09:15 PM

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/Merchan...ticeJersey.jpg

oh my...

shishkabobo 12-08-2008 10:15 PM

^ no no it is even better dude.
CAREBEARS COUNT DOWN! 4-3-2-1!!!

AzNightmare 12-09-2008 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 6162025)
Yes it is possible.

Other than that, you don't need socks either. But its good to have a white coloured prac. jersey as well. BTW, prac. jerseys are $10-$20, not $30-$35. So if you don't mind skipping a McDonalds meal or 2, that already pays for your expense right there :D.

The $30-$35 was from the jersey + socks together. (I've only checked Sportchek and IceLevel and jersey's were going for $20)
But I guess I won't be needing any more socks now. I got a plain black one.
Tried to get black ones with white/gray stripes but they didn't have ones my size.

I got a black/white theme going on, since I bought my gloves first and they were black and white, I just continued on with the theme. haha

Noir 12-09-2008 09:08 AM

Saw your info, says you're in Vancouver.

Here's a quick look at Cyclone Taylor's located at Oak & 49th.
http://www.cyclonetaylor.com/practicejerseys.html
All colours are going for $13.

I've been to Sports Exchange in Burrard St. and The Hockey Shop in Surrey and they are roughly around the same price, give or take a dollar or 2.

AzNightmare 12-09-2008 10:47 AM

Damn... I better go check these places out. Or I might have to wear a pink jersey on Saturday.

Damn, that sucks. I paid $20 for my black jersey at IceLevel.

Keroleen 12-18-2008 05:24 PM

looking for a few more newbies for this saturday drop in session....if interested please email kbi.hockey@gmail.com before 5pm Friday.

mickz 12-20-2008 10:09 PM

Go buy a blank white jersey from Wal-Mart. I think it's around $10, $15 max.

And to rant about Sportchek again I would never buy my gear from there unless you know how you want your gear to fit and 100% know the product you're buying. If you are starting out I would pay a bit extra and get fitted at a real hockey store instead of asking some Sportchek employee questions, who most likely has probably never been on the ice in his life.

Buying gear can be pretty cheap if you know where to look. Some gear I will only buy brand new, but for certain things like visors, gloves or sticks I don't mind buying used. I bought some brand new pro stock Tampa Bay Lightning Tackla 5000 pants and they only cost me $110. You could only get a mid-end pant at that price if you don't shop around.

AzNightmare 12-21-2008 11:36 AM

I already picked up a white jersey from cyclone taylor and started playing at this drop in last week (and yesterday). Quite fun. lol

I'm pretty sure I'm the worst player out there though. you guys have a different definition of "newbie" than what I have. hahaa

Keroleen 01-07-2009 08:26 AM

I need a 2nd goalie this week...anyone newbie goalies out there?

yau1225 02-10-2009 08:29 PM

is this thing still going on? i know its been a month since the last post @@

Keroleen 02-11-2009 12:54 AM

i do a weekly mailer to the group....thru kbi.hockey@gmail.com.
if you are interested send an email there and ill add you to the mailer.

RayBot 02-16-2009 09:29 PM

Woot...i'll be there saturday. Don't forget to say hi anyone that plays from here....

ewong 02-17-2009 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 6284673)
Woot...i'll be there saturday. Don't forget to say hi anyone that plays from here....

Sweet, be nice to see you on the ice again Ray. Gotta teach some of them goons their place ;)

RayBot 02-17-2009 08:47 AM

are u serious??

Noir 02-17-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewong (Post 6285122)
Sweet, be nice to see you on the ice again Ray. Gotta teach some of them goons their place ;)

I know Raybot's weakness!!!

Spoiler!

RayBot 02-17-2009 01:17 PM

HAHAHA...spoiler.....

In order for you to expose my weakness, you gotta knock me over first.

SumAznGuy 02-17-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 6285707)
HAHAHA...spoiler.....

In order for you to expose my weakness, you gotta knock me over first.

Just ask Noir. I had no problems catching him, with his head down. ;)

Keroleen 02-17-2009 02:51 PM

Phil always skates with his head down..stops turns and then tries to shoot...guarenteed....
god damn you know you can get Ed every single time....:P

SumAznGuy 02-17-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keroleen (Post 6285867)
Phil always skates with his head down..stops turns and then tries to shoot...guarenteed....
god damn you know you can get Ed every single time....:P

That's cause in a real league, anyone who tries that move on me gets a shoulder in his chest. Just ask Jason of the Killer bunnies. =)