REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #126
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
What do you do w/ all the oil after?
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #127
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
You can keep it and use it again, it gets even better the second time

Depending on how dark it is, or if it's full of chunks of crap, you might have to toss it out. Store it in the fridge.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #128
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
Canola and soybean oil are not "good" for you, but they are "better" for you than animal fat. Saturated fat directly contributes to heart and artery disease... Or are you calling all those doctors and scientists which proved this dumb?

Having said that, it's animal fat that gets things super golden crispy and yummy.

My motto is "everything in moderation"
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #129
My homepage has been set to RS

did anyone say pajo's in steveston in richmond yet? I don't even like fish and chips but i heard this place is jizz-your-pants good...i gotta try it
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #130
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amargovs View Post
did anyone say pajo's in steveston in richmond yet? I don't even like fish and chips but i heard this place is jizz-your-pants good...i gotta try it

Its good but not THAT good lol!
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Canola and soybean oil are not "good" for you, but they are "better" for you than animal fat. Saturated fat directly contributes to heart and artery disease... Or are you calling all those doctors and scientists which proved this dumb?

Having said that, it's animal fat that gets things super golden crispy and yummy.

My motto is "everything in moderation"
Wow, are you living in the 80's? Or are you just not up to date with the latest in nutrition? Animal fats CAN be good for you. And they do NOT directly correlate to heart disease. There is a reason why Atkins dieters end up with lower LDL levels (bad cholesterol) and triglycerides (the stuff that kills your heart/arteries) than people who go on "low fat" diets. Not to say that Atkins is a healthy balanced diet, but it proves the point.

Fat is not the enemy, insulin is. And shit like canola and soybean oil, you might as well be consuming motor oil.

So yes. I am calling all those doctors from the 70's idiots. There were only about 4 of them doing all this 'research' on fats back then, and everyone has followed suit during the 80's. But now, doctors are a lot smarter, and figuring out that the body needs fats. saturated and unsaturated. Animal and vegetable.

So yes, if you still think like they did in the 70's and 80's, you are an idiot. And your estrogen levels are probably too high.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #132

Oh yeah, the freaking American Heart Association must be wrong because you read a few articles on the internet saying saturated fats are good for you.

Sorry, but the AHA is pretty much the authority on heart disease. When they change their recommendations I'll agree with you.

Directly from their site:
"Saturated fat
Saturated fat is the main dietary cause of high blood cholesterol. Saturated fat is found mostly in foods from animals and some plants."

"Limit saturated fat intake to less than 7 percent of total daily calories"

And name calling in the FOOD forum of all places makes you a big WINNAR!!1
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 05-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #133

Quote:
Oh yeah, the freaking American Heart Association must be wrong because you read a few articles on the internet saying saturated fats are good for you.

Sorry, but the AHA is pretty much the authority on heart disease. When they change their recommendations I'll agree with you.

Directly from their site:
"Saturated fat
Saturated fat is the main dietary cause of high blood cholesterol. Saturated fat is found mostly in foods from animals and some plants."

"Limit saturated fat intake to less than 7 percent of total daily calories"

And name calling in the FOOD forum of all places makes you a big WINNAR!!1
Like I said, welcome to the 80's. If you are going by old notions from the 70's and 80's, listening to the fat dieticians at the AHA, then... well.. I already said what I needed to say.

I'm not calling names, I am stating facts.

Idiots go by old notions, old ideas, without thinking of new science and new ideas. They close their minds to learning, and shut down when people tell them they are wrong. They go look for "facts" from other idiots who are still basing their claims on decades old information, and try to prove themselves correct.

So are you an idiot? I'm not going to say, it all depends on your reaction.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #134

Here's some info from modern doctors, who aren't going by decades old information. Please read it, you will become a better person for it. At least read it. I made a few comments in italics. I bolded some important parts too

Asking about saturated fat is like asking about the war in Iraq: The answer you get completely depends on who you ask.

Since you asked me, I'll tell you my opinion, but rest assured that if you ask a Stepford Wife Dietitian (that would be the AHA people you referred to) you'll get an entirely different answer. Of course, if you were the type to listen to those idiots, you probably wouldn't be reading my column (please read it anyway. You may not be an idiot for much longer).

For years and years the main rap against saturated fat is that it raises cholesterol, which in turn "causes" heart disease. But the importance of cholesterol as a major risk factor for heart disease is beginning to be questioned. And the fact is that saturated fat sometimes raises cholesterol and sometimes doesn't, and ultimately it may not even matter.

In 2008, The American Society of Bariatric Physicians in conjunction with the Metabolism Society presented an entire two day conference in Arizona entitled: "Saturated Fat and Heart Disease: What's the Evidence"? I attended that conference, in which some of the smartest researchers investigating this issue participated, and I can sum up the answer to the question "What's the evidence?" for you in two words: Not much.

In my opinion, the "fate" of saturated fat in the body depends completely on what else is eaten. If you're eating a high-carb diet, the effect of saturated fat may indeed be deleterious, but if you're eating a low-carb diet it's a whole other ballgame. (like I said, insulin is the problem, not fat)

Hold the hashbrowns

"If carbs are low, insulin is low and saturated fat is handled more efficiently," said Jeff Volek, PhD, RD and one of the major researchers in the area of diet comparisons. "When carbs are low, you're burning that saturated fat as fuel, and you're also making less of it."

So, eat way less carbohydrates and way less sugar, and it may not matter how much saturated fat you eat.

One reason that saturated fat has been demonized, in my opinion, is that much of the research on diet and disease has lumped saturated fat together with trans-fats. Trans-fats weren't even a health issue until relatively recently, and for decades researchers didn't distinguish between the two when doing studies of diet patterns.

Why does this matter? Because manmade trans-fats really are the Spawn of Satan. They clearly raise the risk for heart disease and stroke, and, according to Harvard professors Walt Willett and Alberto Ascherio, are responsible for 30,000 premature deaths a year.

Another reason saturated fat has such a bad reputation is that much of the saturated fat people consume comes from really crummy sources. Fried foods are not a great way to get fat in your diet. Neither is processed deli meats nor hormone-treated beef. But the saturated fat from healthy animals — like grass-fed beef or lamb — or the saturated fat in organic butter or in egg yolks is a whole different story.

I've never seen one convincing piece of evidence that saturated fat from whole food sources like the ones I just mentioned has a single negative impact on heart disease, health, or mortality, especially when it's part of a diet high in plant foods, antioxidants, fiber and the rest of the good stuff you can eat on a controlled carbohydrate eating plan!

So what's the verdict? Though there may be certain cases where saturated fat could be a problem — i.e. those with the ApoE4 gene making them more susceptible to Alzheimer's seem to benefit from avoiding too much saturated fat — for most people a healthy diet of moderate calories that's low in sugar shouldn't have any problem with saturated fat from whole food sources.

Of course that won't stop the diet dictocrats from continuing to tell us how "a low-fat diet prevents heart disease," but inconvenient facts have never stopped the American Dietetic Association!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #135

Also, please take the time to read this medical publication as well:

The case for not restricting saturated fat on a low carbohydrate diet

We would like to compliment Drs. Arora and McFarlane on their timely review of low carbohydrate diets in diabetes management [1]. Undeniably, the prescription of low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets to treat diabetes has to be questioned and the power of carbohydrate restriction seriously considered. The article dispels common myths and provides a convincing argument for successful use of carbohydrate restriction in treating diabetes. One point stressed by Arora and McFarlane was that mono and polyunsaturated fat should be emphasized over saturated fat as a way to achieve caloric balance on a carbohydrate-restricted diet. We contend that the recommendation to intentionally restrict saturated fat is unwarranted and only serves to contribute to the misleading rhetoric surrounding the health effects of saturated fat.
We believe restriction of saturated fat is not warranted on a low-carbohydrate diet because of our work showing favorable responses in clinical risk factors for diabetes and cardiovascular disease in low-carbohydrate diets that were rich in saturated fat [2]. In addition, German & Dillard [3] have reviewed several experimental studies of the effects of saturated fats and the results are found to be variable and there is a general failure to meet the kind of unambiguous predictions that would justify the recommendation to reduce saturated fat in the population [3]. Other critical reviews of the evidence [4] have questioned whether public health recommendations for reducing saturated fat intake [5] are appropriate.
The critical issues are:
1. The atherogenic potential of saturated fats varies greatly depending on chain length and whether it is present alone or added in foods. Stearic acid (C18) is a major saturated fat found in beef, chicken, and pork and has repeatedly been shown not to raise LDL cholesterol levels [6]. Even palmitic acid (C16), the most abundant saturated fatty acid in the diet, does not raise LDL cholesterol in the presence of adequate linoleic acid [7].
2. The effect of saturated fat cannot be assumed to be independent of specific dietary conditions. In particular, hypocaloric or low total fat diets may show different results than deduced from epidemiology. A recent report [8] showed that for a woman on a relatively low fat diet, a greater saturated fat intake was associated with a reduced progression of coronary atherosclerosis. An editorial described this as "an American paradox [9].
3. Evaluation of the overall health effects of saturated fat requires consideration of markers in addition to LDL-cholesterol. Isocaloric replacement of carbohydrate with any type of fat results in decreased triglycerides and increased HDL-cholesterol, the effect on HDL-cholesterol being greater for saturated fat compared to unsaturated fat [10]. Reductions in saturated fat also adversely affect HDL subpopulations by decreasing larger HDL2-cholesterol concentrations [11], whereas increases in saturated fat increase this antiatherogenic fraction [12,13]. Furthermore, very low-carbohydrate diets rich in saturated fat increase LDL size and conversion from a high-risk pattern B to a lower risk pattern A phenotype [2].
4. Finally, there is the concern that recommendations to limit saturated fat would lead to their replacement with carbohydrate, which can have undesirable effects (increased triglycerides with decreased HDL cholesterol) [10].
For these reasons, we believe that the recommendation to restrict saturated fat in favor of unsaturated fat on a low-carbohydrate diet is unnecessary and may even diminish some of the beneficial physiological effects associated with carbohydrate restriction. At the very least, the food restriction required to reduce saturated fat will compromise the palatability of the diet and ultimately the acceptance of the approach to diabetes management recommended by Arora and McFarlane [1].

Here's the original article, if you want to follow the references.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #136

I will agree with you on one thing though: Everything in moderation. Unless you have a specific goal in mind (body building, fat loss, etc) then you need to focus on more of one thing or less of another.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #137
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You can keep it and use it again, it gets even better the second time

Depending on how dark it is, or if it's full of chunks of crap, you might have to toss it out. Store it in the fridge.
Yea, I was actually wondering how you dispose of it. Flush it down the toilet?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #138
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

^ Take it to a restaurant, they have dumpsters out back. Flushing is bad as you'll mess up your plumbing if you do it often enough.

Or... put it into some engine oil jugs and take it to the local garage.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #139
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Way to derail the thread....
back on topic!
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #140
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Holy calm the fuck down Jesus Christ.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Yea, I was actually wondering how you dispose of it. Flush it down the toilet?
I put it in a disposable container and just throw it in the garbage bin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I know right? I didn't expect anyone to start ranting at me with their 1970's era knowledge, thinking they are right. Oh well I shut him up finally
Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #142
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Only on RS will you find people arguing over fucking OIL
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:31 AM   #143

Only 2 minutes. Watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4
Old 05-30-2009, 01:30 AM   #144
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
+1
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Pardon me for trying to clear up misinformation. I don't think any of my comments were made in a heated manner, he obviously has some sort of chip on his shoulder.

I don't believe a couple articles immediately disproves all previous knowledge on the matter.

He's entitled to his opinion, you're free to agree. But you'll notice that I haven't resorted to calling him an "idiot" because his opinions differ from mine.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 05-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #146

Quote:
Pardon me for trying to clear up misinformation.
Wow... Just, wow.

Anyway, rather than have ignorant fools continue to poo-poo on this thread, I made a new thread about the whole moronic "saturated fat is bad for you" bullshit. Hopefully some more people will learn from it, and not just plug their ears, close their eyes, going "LALALALALALALALALA THE GOVERNMENT SAYS ANIMAL FAT IS BAD SO I THINK IT IS LALALALALA"

I take back calling you an idiot. It turns out that I have been misinterpreting the meaning of "ignorance" for a long time. According you Wikipedia, it refers to people who "choose to subjectively ignore information." and that "This should not be confused with being unintelligent, as one's level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same."

So that is you. Choosing to ignore new information makes you ignorant. Although the fact that you are still claiming to "clear up misinformation" kinda skews my opinion of you toward the direction of stupidity (sorry).
Old 05-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Wow... Just, wow.

Anyway, rather than have ignorant fools continue to poo-poo on this thread, I made a new thread about the whole moronic "saturated fat is bad for you" bullshit. Hopefully some more people will learn from it, and not just plug their ears, close their eyes, going "LALALALALALALALALA THE GOVERNMENT SAYS ANIMAL FAT IS BAD SO I THINK IT IS LALALALALA"

I take back calling you an idiot. It turns out that I have been misinterpreting the meaning of "ignorance" for a long time. According you Wikipedia, it refers to people who "choose to subjectively ignore information." and that "This should not be confused with being unintelligent, as one's level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same."

So that is you. Choosing to ignore new information makes you ignorant. Although the fact that you are still claiming to "clear up misinformation" kinda skews my opinion of you toward the direction of stupidity (sorry).
I have not "ignored" your information. I find it interesting, however I do not find myself changing my habits on that information alone.

Hence why, I said:

"the AHA is pretty much the authority on heart disease. When they change their recommendations I'll agree with you."

And who knows, maybe one day they'll CHANGE their recommendations.

Seriously dude, chill out already.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 05-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #148

Quote:
I have not "ignored" your information. I find it interesting, however I do not find myself changing my habits on that information alone.

Hence why, I said:

"the AHA is pretty much the authority on heart disease. When they change their recommendations I'll agree with you."

And who knows, maybe one day they'll CHANGE their recommendations.

Seriously dude, chill out already.
What makes them the "authority" anyway? Just the fact that they are? Do you never question the authority of special interest groups? Whatever is said by these people, you just listen to, ignorant to all other information? Without asking them for proof of their concepts?

Go watch the movie, read some books. Read the blog. Find out why the "authorities" you are so strongly believing are basing everything on bullshit science. There's plenty of info out there. No need to ask me to "chill out", there is nothing "unchill" about what I am doing. I am trying to help you (and others) by sharing this information. Believe me, I was on your side of the fence for a long time. And now I weigh almost 30 lbs less than I did then

So yeah, if you want to cook food so it tastes good, use proper fat. Don't use "vegetable oil" and don't use hydrogenated oil. Use fat, the way humans have been doing since... forever. Your food will taste better, and your cholesterol levels will improve
Old 05-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #149
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
don't eat soy cause its bad for you also
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #150
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
arguing over motor oil, I expect a yes. but cooking oil? jesus, mary, and joseph, that is eff'ing retarded.