REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Car slams into teens (Richmond)

Car slams into teens
Three boys in hospital, one in critical condition
Tracy Sherlock, Richmond News
Published: Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A 16-year-old boy is in critical condition and two others are in serious condition after all three were hit by a car on Saturday evening.
They were walking through the crosswalk at the intersection of Dunoon Drive and Williams Road, just west of No. 3 Road, when they were hit.

The three Steveston-London secondary students were still in hospital as of Monday. The boy in critical condition, from Hong Kong, is suffering a major head trauma, said Cpl. Nycki Basra, Richmond RCMP spokeswoman.

Two of the boys are international students from Asia and one is a Richmond resident. "Being relatively new, they haven't established deep roots in this community, however their friends, classmates and teachers are concerned and deeply upset," said Jim Allison, the principal of Steveston-London.

Police do not think the weather, alcohol or speed were factors in the collision.
"It was raining, but it was moderate. There was no pooling, snow or ice," Basra said.

The RCMP are considering charges of dangerous driving causing bodily harm against the male driver, who is in his 70s. He is uninjured.

This is the second accident involving three pedestrians in two months in Richmond, Basra said. In November, a woman and her two children were crossing an intersection in Steveston when they were hit by a car.

"We want to remind drivers to slow down and watch for pedestrians, and we also want to remind pedestrians to be more careful," Basra said.

The RCMP will be conducting pedestrian safety sessions in the coming weeks to draw more awareness to the issue and to educate people.

Anyone who witnessed this incident around 7:30 p.m. Jan. 10 involving a 2003 grey Honda Accord is asked to contact the Richmond RCMP at 604-278-1212.
Advertisement
CruisingDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

This is something that actually deserves to be in the Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Event section. Not some random unrelated low humor reports of Romanian women sticking hair spray bottles up their back doors.

Careful driving everyone. Please contact RCMP if you have any hints.

Peace

[youtube]YY4hICSiRa4[/youtube]

Last edited by CruisingDream; 01-14-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: youtube insert
CruisingDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Wow that's so scary, my friend and I were out and about in Richmond at that time too.

I swear they really need to retest elderly people and bad (women) drivers in Richmond :/
I always almost get run over by those people = =;

- Aiko
kanachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

damn
how did he not see 3 people?
Honyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

yeah i was heading home after work yesterday around 5PM-ish n everyone had to U-turn due to the accident scene as the police blocked off the road both ways..
RC0310_EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

There are so many people on the road, not dicking around or anything or even on their phones. just people driving with two hands on the wheel that just need to get the fuck off the road.

Honestly, how do these people get their licenses? we need a better system obviously.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

ya i dont get that
how do you NOT see 3 people...
LexiSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #8

those old people should just stay home and make soup holy fuck dude was in his 70's had fucking late reaction i bet
blackjack101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingDream View Post
Car slams into teens

"We want to remind drivers to slow down and watch for pedestrians, and we also want to remind pedestrians to be more careful," Basra said.

The RCMP will be conducting pedestrian safety sessions in the coming weeks to draw more awareness to the issue and to educate people.
I'm pretty sure the driver is at fault but damn... even if pedestrians have the right of the way they still need to use their brain. I have seen ppl that press the pedestrian light and than immediately start to cross the street without even glancing to see if the cars are stopping.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
elderly people again....... sigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
At 7:30 PM it would be totally dark. I'm not saying the guy needs to watch where he's going but like a few posts up said people need to use some common sense when crossing the street as well. It doesn't matter if you have the right away or he has to stop because if a car hits you it's a lose lose situation for the pedestrian every single time.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
ummm, i don't think old people should drive...

UNCE UNCE UNCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP
tonyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Jeeez... I feel bad for the people that got hit... =[
macatacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #14
The sound of inevitability

I honestly hate old people. I really, really hate these mother fuckers.
They fuck up EVERYTHING. I think that by the time a person reaches 60 we take away their license to drive.

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #15

It's not just old people, it's bad drivers in general.

I just wished they'd be retested after 60. I mean a lot of elderly people don't like to get prescription upgrades :/

- Aiko
kanachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #16
racing & tech mod.

I'm not going to defend poor drivers - BUT - there are a lot of IDIOT pedestrians out there too.

Last week I was driving down lower capilano road at night, with my headlights & foglights on, and some idiot teen dressed in full black suddenly jumped from the grass (where he was literally invisible) out onto the road, to avoid a lake-sized puddle. Fortunately I was creeping along at 45kph, if I had been going my usual 60+kph I might have mowed him down. Like fuck - he could have died!!

An then again the other day some douche was running down the sidewalk as I was driving down the road, and I'm entering a roundabout intersection where I don't have to stop, and he tries to run across in front of my car, which no way in hell can stop in that short of a distance. So I just carefully swerve around him. Then I can see the look of surprise on his face in the rearview because I didn't stop, when actually, by law, I had right of way.

It goes both ways people.. just cuz you're a pedestrian, it doesn't mean the car is gonna see you and stop for you. BE CAREFUL!

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 01-14-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #17
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7even View Post
They fuck up EVERYTHING. I think that by the time a person reaches 60 we take away their license to drive.
well maybe after 65 they should get re-tested every 2 or 3 years because their reflex fucking sucks
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #18
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The7even View Post
i 2nd that, many many, or the majority of elderly drivers i've seen either:
a) drive 35-40km/h
b) stays in the left lane
c) a + b

heck some elders i've seen comming out of their cars can barely even walk!
it's just scary knowing they r driving on the road where any moment they can not react in time and rear end u, which had happened a few years back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #19
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

HOLY CRAP thats like right down my street, literally like 20 seconds away. I just graduated from Steveston London last year. THAT crosswalk is deadly, when its raining and dark, you cant see ANYBODY if they wanna cross. I had a close call there too on that exact crosswalk around halloween.
They need some lights there, for sure.
Hope those kids pull through, im gonna ask some friends see if i know them, damn that sucks.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #20
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

At the bank where I work I see all these old people that can barely press the buttons on the pinpad and their hands shake like a motherfucker. And then they tell me the road was slippery while they were driving to the bank. fuck.
bbbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:53 PM   #21
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Hit and run like that??? fucked up... hope they catch them and that the 3 people recover
wyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #22
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

On a side note, Jim Allison was a really awesome vice principal. Glad he's now the head dude there.
-MFC Fan # 3
-RS ELITE NINJA smurf-ninja
-L.B.C.: REVscene's Resident Lowballers
-RS Photography Crew WpnOfChoice: Sony DSC-F717~"Dana"

http://www.flickr.com/duckducksnap
Levitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #23
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^ i don't believe this article was a hit and run. They clearly stated "The RCMP are considering charges of dangerous driving causing bodily harm against the male driver, who is in his 70s. He is uninjured." Such an unfortunate event, hope the 3 boys will get to go home soon.
xyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #24
RS controls my life!

wow thats scary,

important thing to look out and slow down now especially with all the fog at night now.
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #25
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

while backing out of my alley going 5 km/hr. a car going atleast 50-60 km through an alley rocked the back of my bumper. He drove past to the end of the road, took about 4 minutes to reverse back to my house, ever so slowly, and took another 3 minutes getting out of the car. His birthdate on his license was 1927. 81 fucking years old. ICBC said it was no contest and would be my fault since it was us backing out and couldn't prove he was speeding. Funny thing is, that if he hadn't hit my car- he would have hit a pole just because of how close he was driving to the houses. makes me sick.
^ hahaha, the guys there only provide you info to places where to get massages your penis!
yson_3 is offline   Reply With Quote