REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Hockey Gear Whoring Thread and Reviews (https://www.revscene.net/forums/564246-hockey-gear-whoring-thread-reviews.html)

!Nhan 03-23-2012 06:44 PM

Speaking of skate sharpening, I recently started power skating and playing drop ins and am having a hard time finding someone who sharpens it well. I tried cyclones and their 1/2 was nice. Tried the 1/2 at sportchek and it had too much bite that I oculdn't even stop. Tried FBV 50/100 and it felt as if my skate wasn't even sharpened at all.

Where/who do you guys get to sharpen your skates?

Hondaracer 03-23-2012 09:02 PM

hockey shop, i hadnt been there in a while and was just getting mine sharpened at 8 rinks and twin rinks, hockey shop's was awsome and they do a good job/take their time, this was the first time i had been into the new location, it's insane

lol so stupid the totalone gloves are $200 when you can buy the girdle for cheaper, first time being in the market for new gloves in a while and there was nothing that really caught my eye on the 800 pairs on the wall at hockey shop, totalone's and X60 were nice but dont feel like spending that

mickz 03-23-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 7861991)
hockey shop, i hadnt been there in a while and was just getting mine sharpened at 8 rinks and twin rinks, hockey shop's was awsome and they do a good job/take their time, this was the first time i had been into the new location, it's insane

lol so stupid the totalone gloves are $200 when you can buy the girdle for cheaper, first time being in the market for new gloves in a while and there was nothing that really caught my eye on the 800 pairs on the wall at hockey shop, totalone's and X60 were nice but dont feel like spending that

Hence why I go pro stock. It's usually cheaper to buy and more unique. Not to mention it maintains it's resale value better than retail.

SumAznGuy 03-23-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Nhan (Post 7861848)
Speaking of skate sharpening, I recently started power skating and playing drop ins and am having a hard time finding someone who sharpens it well. I tried cyclones and their 1/2 was nice. Tried the 1/2 at sportchek and it had too much bite that I oculdn't even stop. Tried FBV 50/100 and it felt as if my skate wasn't even sharpened at all.

What one person likes, you might not.
I liked the old guy that use to work at 8 rinks but many people have complained about him.
There is 2 guys at the Coquitlam Cyclone Taylors that I don't mind. I can get 3 ice times before I have to get the skates resharpened. I've had sharpens where it just didn't feel right first time stepping onto the ice.

The guys at the Ice Level sports in Richmond did a decent job but it is too far for me to go.

Hondaracer 03-23-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 7862048)
Hence why I go pro stock. It's usually cheaper to buy and more unique. Not to mention it maintains it's resale value better than retail.

where do u go for pro stock? online?

mickz 03-24-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 7862104)
where do u go for pro stock? online?

I usually buy online. Usual places such as eBay or forums like MSH or Sports2k. Cyclones and Hockey Shop usually get some pro returns here and there but they don't have a lot to choose from.

Noir 03-25-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 7861224)
Honestly though, if any of you were to approach me at the rink and talk shit about my equipment i would knock you out. Lets get off the whole "yohr bag is ghey" talk. Its embarassing and belongs in the fashion thread, not this one. Are we bitches, or are we men?

That's excessive. Insecure much? Like I said, there's nothing wrong it, but some things will always have their associations whether it's warranted or not. Like it or not, that's just the nature that's been cultivated within the sport. ie

1. There's certain associations made for people who wear Ovechkin visors (for all we know, they could be the nicest people off-the-ice)
2. People who wear #99 (or perhaps other numbers considered vanity numbers)
3. Guys who wear pink gloves
4. Pink Jerseys
5. And guess what, like it or not, there are opinions attached with wheeled bags to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 7861991)

I would say the same a year ago but I totally would recommend anyone at this point on against the Hockey Shop.

They can sharpen the blades adequately sharp, but I find they take wayyy too much steel per sharpen. Of course you won't notice this immediately but it's something I noticed over time.

What I really hated about it though is that by the time they grind your blades down, they grind it in a really wierd fashion. I noticed that the flat portion of my steel kept decreasing and my the curved portion of at both ends of my skates steel kept getting bigger.

Totally bad for skaters; causes balance problems. I think I noticed it rather quickly (within a year) since I bought their season pass and I was sharpening almost every other game. (i just love the feel of playing with a fresh sharpen).

My favourite: Cyclone Taylor @ Vancouver. I have yet to try the Surrey one though. I hope the techs there have the same quality as their Vancouver counterparts.

Helga 03-25-2012 06:01 PM

5'7 140lbs
55 or 70 flex dolomite... any reviews ideally my weight/height?

currently i have a two piece ak 27 over 100 flex as a defenceman stick for slappers...

Nvasion 03-25-2012 06:56 PM

im 5'10 170 lbs and i picked up a 70 flex dolo and its fukin great! sticks so whippy i love it! i got the nongrip one though so i kinda regret it because its super slippery but i taped it up so its okay now.

trip 03-25-2012 07:13 PM

go for a 70 flex.

general rule is half your weight = flex

-10 if you dont take alot of slappers/weaker
+10 if you take slappers/strong

Hondaracer 03-25-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 7863558)
That's excessive. Insecure much? Like I said, there's nothing wrong it, but some things will always have their associations whether it's warranted or not. Like it or not, that's just the nature that's been cultivated within the sport. ie

1. There's certain associations made for people who wear Ovechkin visors (for all we know, they could be the nicest people off-the-ice)
4. Pink Jerseys
5. And guess what, like it or not, there are opinions attached with wheeled bags to.

I would say the same a year ago but I totally would recommend anyone at this point on against the Hockey Shop.

They can sharpen the blades adequately sharp, but I find they take wayyy too much steel per sharpen. Of course you won't notice this immediately but it's something I noticed over time.

What I really hated about it though is that by the time they grind your blades down, they grind it in a really wierd fashion. I noticed that the flat portion of my steel kept decreasing and my the curved portion of at both ends of my skates steel kept getting bigger.

Totally bad for skaters; causes balance problems. I think I noticed it rather quickly (within a year) since I bought their season pass and I was sharpening almost every other game. (i just love the feel of playing with a fresh sharpen).

My favourite: Cyclone Taylor @ Vancouver. I have yet to try the Surrey one though. I hope the techs there have the same quality as their Vancouver counterparts.

yea actually now that you mention the blade thing, one of my buddies who gets a fairly regular sharpening at hockey shop got new blades a while back mostly because one of his blades fell out of is one95's but it seemed like it was more to do with how low the boot had become to the ice, my blade was almost 1/4 of an inch thicker by looking at it

The cyclone taylor in surrey, last 2 times ive been in there it's all young kids working, dunno if they have a different person doing the sharpening but i didnt like anything about the surrey location

Noir 03-25-2012 08:13 PM

^ Thanks for the tip about Cyclone (Surrey)

originalhypa 03-26-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 7863558)
That's excessive. Insecure much?

Excessive? Give me a break.
This is a hockey gear thread, not a knitting and cock sucking thread. Go ahead, the next time you're at a drop in game talk shit to the guy next to you. Call him a newb, and make fag jokes about his bag and stick. Within minutes one of two things will happen. Someone will strike you, or you'll simply be labelled an idiot and ignored. The rule is simple and it works with hockey, and life. Don't be a douchebag goof, and you may just make a friend or two.

Quote:

Like I said, there's nothing wrong it, but some things will always have their associations whether it's warranted or not. Like it or not, that's just the nature that's been cultivated within the sport. ie

4. Pink Jerseys
I'm glad my life isn't cluttered with pointless rules and associations like yours.
It's nice to not have to worry about if some 160lb kid thinks I'm a fag because I run a wheeled bag.

:lol

Noir 03-26-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 7864324)
Excessive? Give me a break.
:lol

How is threatening to knock a guy out not excessive? I sure hope when you knock me out because I think otherwise of certain opinion of yours, your kid is watching.

I'm sure they'll be proud that their dad is such a G.

On another note, yes in locker rooms we do make fun of guys who as I stated, either:

1. Has a wheeled bag,
2. Pink gloves,
3. Ovechkin visors
etc.

I nor others have never gotten knocked the fuck out. They just jab back with another joke we all take in stride. Like you know... typical locker room jest.

And just so you know, I didn't cultivate this macho culture with the sport. It's always been inherent. And this macho sentiment isn't just isolated on wheeled bags.

Just look at how hockey players view face shields. There's a certain connotation connected with wearing face shields as well but heck, we all still wear it. In fact, there are some beer leagues locally that you'll get a good ribbing for wearing a cage; and despite how unobtrusive shields have become at today's age... some players will still never be caught wearing one.

But hey... you're clearly sensitive about your wheeled bags :rolleyes:

At least, I don't threaten to knock people out when I get ribbed for wearing a full bird cage.

Noir 03-26-2012 10:09 AM

BTW, just so you know... I never thought you were a fag for using wheeled bags. However, I really think you are being a fag now for being overly sensitive over out of all things... a fucking bag.

Feel free to knock me out Gangster.

mako 03-26-2012 10:39 AM

I call a staged fight at centre ice

wreck 03-26-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 7864336)
How is threatening to knock a guy out not excessive? I sure hope when you knock me out because I think otherwise of certain opinion of yours, your kid is watching.

I'm sure they'll be proud that their dad is such a G.

On another note, yes in locker rooms we do make fun of guys who as I stated, either:

1. Has a wheeled bag,
2. Pink gloves,
3. Ovechkin visors
etc.

I nor others have never gotten knocked the fuck out. They just jab back with another joke we all take in stride. Like you know... typical locker room jest.

And just so you know, I didn't cultivate this macho culture with the sport. It's always been inherent. And this macho sentiment isn't just isolated on wheeled bags.

Just look at how hockey players view face shields. There's a certain connotation connected with wearing face shields as well but heck, we all still wear it. In fact, there are some beer leagues locally that you'll get a good ribbing for wearing a cage; and despite how unobtrusive shields have become at today's age... some players will still never be caught wearing one.

But hey... you're clearly sensitive about your wheeled bags :rolleyes:

At least, I don't threaten to knock people out when I get ribbed for wearing a full bird cage.

you talk a lot for a guy rockin a cage

!Nhan 03-26-2012 11:38 AM

Who cares who wears what. Let's get this thread back on topic before people start getting points or it ends up in FC. There's a lot of knowledgeable people on here willing to share their experiences and also a bunch of us who just want to show off our stuff.

Back on topic or points will be handed out.

mako 03-26-2012 11:45 AM

Ok I got a real question needing an answer

I got myself a pair of pro stock Jofa shins that don't have straps on them. I've seen them like this in NHL players changing rooms.
Does anybody have any experience with these?
How should I keep them in place?

6thGear. 03-26-2012 11:49 AM

Try a 5/8 cut. It's an all around sharpen, gives you bite but still has glide to it. Speaking of, are you going to own div 14 now that your an ice player and am also taking power skatng?

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Nhan (Post 7861848)

!Nhan 03-26-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6thGear. (Post 7864471)
Try a 5/8 cut. It's an all around sharpen, gives you bite but still has glide to it. Speaking of, are you going to own div 14 now that your an ice player and am also taking power skatng?

yeah i got that cut yesterday and it felt great. had my edges but was still able to stop. and no i'll be hiding behind jon when i play hornets with you guys. i'm still a plug who's just taking a roster spot cuz there was one open :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nismo_s13 (Post 7864461)

I got myself a pair of pro stock Jofa shins that don't have straps on them. I've seen them like this in NHL players changing rooms.

best bet would be to go to cyclones, sportchek, hockey shop and find these, or order them online

Reebok Sr. Shin Straps

toyobaru 03-26-2012 12:03 PM

why is it such a big deal to have a wheeled bag? just because you cant afford one dont rag on others who can

jdmhaze 03-26-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nismo_s13 (Post 7864461)

Throw some socks over them and get some clear hockey tape (many just call it sock tape) and tape em up however you like.

Its quite common but I like putting one good strap right below my knee and one down at the mid point of my shins.

mako 03-26-2012 01:48 PM

Thanks guys
I'm gonna try the straps
Don't really like tape cause I broke that habit 2 years ago

SumAznGuy 03-26-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nismo_s13 (Post 7864581)
Thanks guys
I'm gonna try the straps
Don't really like tape cause I broke that habit 2 years ago

I use to do the straps when I was a kid. I like the tape much more, but I end up using quite a bit of tape a week when I play 4-5 times and some days twice. :rukidding: