REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #2126
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmhaze View Post
Thats probably your best bet anyways (assuming your a dman) you're not going to be ringing it off the bar in the slot very often. What happens when your reserve runs out? *Knock on wood* lol

The RBZ's are durable sticks. I absolutely love their type of blade, and i believe the stage 2's is very similar to the first gen..atleast thats how it felt. For $200 you can't really go wrong.

I know i just got an Easton lol but it really pisses me off when the blade goes before the shaft. It was the exact opposite with the RBZ.
For me, Easton have never had any sort of durability so I can't say either way.
My Bauer and Warrior's blades always wear out before before the shaft does.

When my stash of Tone's are gone, I'll probably try the NXG's or buy more Nexus's.
I am going to trade in my uncut RBZ2 for an APX2 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
your problem is that pinging shots off the x bar isn't going to get your goals
What? I've been doing it all wrong the whole time?
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #2127
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

BAM!

BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #2128

BOOM!!

Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #2129
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^^ Which knee guards were you wearing prior to those Bauers?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #2130
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Please provide a mini review of those Bauer kneepads after a few games. They were on the top of my list to replace my plain-jane Reeboks (the plastic cap ones) which I actually don't mind, but at the time they kept slipping down into my shins. A $20 Vaughn knee-pad garter fixed that, and I actually like my Reeboks now as they feel like tanks while still being "low-profile".

Disclaimer: I use G-Form knee pads underneath so they don't dig into my knee. I would never wear the Reeboks bare.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
^^ Which knee guards were you wearing prior to those Bauers?
Reebok P2 Pros with suspenders.

Very nice. Soft landings. But too big for the knee lock on my pads =\
Old 11-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #2132

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Please provide a mini review of those Bauer kneepads after a few games. They were on the top of my list to replace my plain-jane Reeboks (the plastic cap ones) which I actually don't mind, but at the time they kept slipping down into my shins. A $20 Vaughn knee-pad garter fixed that, and I actually like my Reeboks now as they feel like tanks while still being "low-profile".

Disclaimer: I use G-Form knee pads underneath so they don't dig into my knee. I would never wear the Reeboks bare.
Sure!

Here's one done by a goalie out in the states:
My Bauer Supreme Knee Pad Review - Goalie Store Bulletin Board

That review made a large impact on why I purchased my set. And now, I'm a big fan.

Provided, that the 2 upper knee/thigh sections are carry over from the old black and red ones from before. They simply just changed the knee landing area and added an anchor piece. If you have the RBK plastic ones now, you'll know what I mean. It's literally what you have now, but with a MUCH better knee area.

You wear it so that the anchor strap would be secured on your shins. and when you go down into the bfly, the second section drops down in front of the knee landing.

Took a good shot there last week, and didn't feel anything other than the thud from impact.

I use a RBK garter as well. The pads stay in place all game. No issues. The top straps have rubber strips in it to prevent moving. The anchor strap works REALLY well in conjunction. Overall, I believe this is a good design.

I would really recommend any goalie to give this unit a try. I like it much better over other offerings (passau, Vaughn, Warrior) which are either too bulky, too expensive, or not confidence-inspiring.

That being said. NOthing wrong with my last set of knee pads (RBK P2, which is now for sale. On the cheap). But they're simply just too wide to be used effectively on a set of Brian's pads =p
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #2133
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I was surprised as to how narrow the knee channel is on your Brians. Good to see that your knees are well protected now though. I had a puck wiggle it's way around my knee pads about 3 weeks ago, and it's still tender to the touch. Those biscuits can do some serious damage

What are your thoughts on the new Reebok C/A now that you've had a few skates with it?

Quote:
That's a good idea. I loved my old Reebok plastic cap knee pads, but they were hard landing after a couple of sweats packed in the padding.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #2134
they call me the snowman

lol, I just got a txt from a high level team that I subbed four games this season. They cut their starter and want me to start for them. Pretty cool, eh?

Except that they want me to pay.

I was on the fence about it, because I am an Ice Ninja, first and foremost. Playing 2-3 games a week in a higher level is a real shit kicking, and fatigue affected my performance while I was sparing. But this makes my decision so much easier.

I feel kind of like Tim Thomas right now.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #2135

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I was surprised as to how narrow the knee channel is on your Brians. Good to see that your knees are well protected now though. I had a puck wiggle it's way around my knee pads about 3 weeks ago, and it's still tender to the touch. Those biscuits can do some serious damage

What are your thoughts on the new Reebok C/A now that you've had a few skates with it?
It's pretty good. However, haven't had any hard shots to it yet, surprisingly. I think it'll hold up just fine. I'm installing some reinforcement to the bottom belly area though. I haven't had any stingers there, but it's thin. Just to be cautious.

Yeah....Brian's knee channels are like Vaughns. I'm not big on the narrow channels at all =p.

You had a puck slip and catch you under the passaus?!

Quote:
That's a good idea. I loved my old Reebok plastic cap knee pads, but they were hard landing after a couple of sweats packed in the padding.
I still hate those. If they ever shifted or if your knee pads wore out, you'd be fucked royally =p
Old 11-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #2136

Quote:
lol, I just got a txt from a high level team that I subbed four games this season. They cut their starter and want me to start for them. Pretty cool, eh?

Except that they want me to pay.

I was on the fence about it, because I am an Ice Ninja, first and foremost. Playing 2-3 games a week in a higher level is a real shit kicking, and fatigue affected my performance while I was sparing. But this makes my decision so much easier.

I feel kind of like Tim Thomas right now.
how high is the level? maybe I'll play.....=)
Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #2137
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
You had a puck slip and catch you under the passaus?!
Yeah, during practice one night. A clapper from about 15ft away. It took a weird bounce off something in front, and deflected under one of the clamshell pieces. It was the night I forgot hockey socks, and I know that had something to do with it. It hurt a bit, but not enough for me to stop practice, or even that drill. But 3 weeks later, it's still there.

Stupid puck!

Quote:
how high is the level? maybe I'll play.....=)
Div 4 out of 13 in Langley ASHL. Not a lot of defense, or self control. Last time I played, we had 38 minutes of penalties in a 45 minute game.

It's a good div, and awesome hockey. But I got a little PTSD playing there. I've never been run so much, taken so many head shots, and had that many dust ups since my days of ball hockey.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #2138

Quote:
Yeah, during practice one night. A clapper from about 15ft away. It took a weird bounce off something in front, and deflected under one of the clamshell pieces. It was the night I forgot hockey socks, and I know that had something to do with it. It hurt a bit, but not enough for me to stop practice, or even that drill. But 3 weeks later, it's still there.

Stupid puck!

Div 4 out of 13 in Langley ASHL. Not a lot of defense, or self control. Last time I played, we had 38 minutes of penalties in a 45 minute game.

It's a good div, and awesome hockey. But I got a little PTSD playing there. I've never been run so much, taken so many head shots, and had that many dust ups since my days of ball hockey.
ouch dude. I know the feeling =(

As for playing....I'll play for them in a pinch. As you and I both know....I can grind with the best of them =)
Old 11-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #2139

Quote:
Sure!

Here's one done by a goalie out in the states:
My Bauer Supreme Knee Pad Review - Goalie Store Bulletin Board

That review made a large impact on why I purchased my set. And now, I'm a big fan.

Provided, that the 2 upper knee/thigh sections are carry over from the old black and red ones from before. They simply just changed the knee landing area and added an anchor piece. If you have the RBK plastic ones now, you'll know what I mean. It's literally what you have now, but with a MUCH better knee area.

You wear it so that the anchor strap would be secured on your shins. and when you go down into the bfly, the second section drops down in front of the knee landing.

Took a good shot there last week, and didn't feel anything other than the thud from impact.

I use a RBK garter as well. The pads stay in place all game. No issues. The top straps have rubber strips in it to prevent moving. The anchor strap works REALLY well in conjunction. Overall, I believe this is a good design.

I would really recommend any goalie to give this unit a try. I like it much better over other offerings (passau, Vaughn, Warrior) which are either too bulky, too expensive, or not confidence-inspiring.

That being said. NOthing wrong with my last set of knee pads (RBK P2, which is now for sale. On the cheap). But they're simply just too wide to be used effectively on a set of Brian's pads =p
As a person starting out with the position, I picked up a set of V2's for super cheap. Anyways, the only knee pads that fit and allowed pad rotation at the time I bought (last year) were the Reeboks. Not even the Vaughn ones fit the channel, which is so narrow.

With the Bauer Pros and the Warriors released in the past few months, my interest in new knee pads increased again. The garter fixed that, but now I'm hoping something breaks so I can pick up the Bauers.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #2140

Are the size of those Bauers similar to Vaughn?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #2141
x_x

Quote:

Stupid puck!

From a goalie stand-point, i never thought getting run and taking headshots was good/enjoyable hockey
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #2142

Quote:
From a goalie stand-point, i never thought getting run and taking headshots was good/enjoyable hockey

lol...douchbag beerleaguers know me well.

Or know my poke checks and blocker hand well....hahaha

I've actually timmy thomas'd someone before for taking too many runs at me in my crease.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Are the size of those Bauers similar to Vaughn?
Smaller. I'd say it's not as bulky as the vaughn units, which I liked.

So far, 4 games, no issues. Lands well. I bare notice its presence, and took a clapper there last night just in the foam part of the lander, got under the second row clamshell portion. No issues. felt a slight slap at the knee and that's about it.

Extremely happy with it!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #2144
they call me the snowman

Quote:
As for playing....I'll play for them in a pinch. As you and I both know....I can grind with the best of them =)
I will keep that in mind, man. It's always good to have a couple goalie's cel numbers in the phone.

Quote:
Agreed.
Head shots aren't as much of an issue. My mask is tested pretty much every night. I get into the b'fly and square to the puck, and I guess my head is perfectly in line with the top shelf. The secret to survival is a good mask with fresh foam, a thick ass Sham sweatband, a dangler, and a lack of brain cells to damage

As for running, that pisses me off. Problem is, I fed a dude some blocker a couple weeks ago, and was warned by the ref that using my blocker was assault, and I didn't want the law to get involved. I was like "WTF?!? A guy gets a game for fighting, and we get the law called on us". That was nuts. When I asked a senior goalie about it, he told me it was legit, and that anyone who uses their blocker is a thug. After recovering from the mild stroke I had hearing that shit, I asked him what church league he played in, because Langley ASHL might as well be the Prince George goon league. Srsly.

Quote:
Extremely happy with it!
Awesome man!
You were getting stressed out there for a bit with your setup. Good to see you're gaining confidence in your protection again.

The Ninjas still need you for the game on Saturday the 23rd. That should be a great game with a few more of our key guys back in the lineup. I'm actually sad that I can't make it
Old 11-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #2145
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Couple years back I was driving to the net and their dman took me down and we both crashed the goalie. As we were all trying to get back up, the goalie intentionally kicks his leg around and nails me in the face with his skate. Had I not been wearing a cage, I'd have no teeth left. Back then, I'd been going back and forth about cage or visor, but this incident has eased that debate lol.
Posted via RS Mobile
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by True.True View Post
Couple years back I was driving to the net and their dman took me down and we both crashed the goalie. As we were all trying to get back up, the goalie intentionally kicks his leg around and nails me in the face with his skate. Had I not been wearing a cage, I'd have no teeth left. Back then, I'd been going back and forth about cage or visor, but this incident has eased that debate lol.
Posted via RS Mobile
Crap that's scary man. Kicking aside, that's why I nerd it up by wearing a neck guard as well. The new thin kevlar ones from Bauer are great.

That reminds me of the first day I put on a cage after wearing a visor. I was playing UBC intramurals, and while parked in front of the net, the puck was shot and hit the goalie and bounced straight up. As I waited for it to drop, the goalie swung his stuck one-handed to try and bat it away. Instead he missed and hit my face knocking me back on my ass. After that, I never dared to go with a visor again.

The thing that bugged me the most was that there was no call!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #2147

Quote:
I will keep that in mind, man. It's always good to have a couple goalie's cel numbers in the phone.

Agreed.
Head shots aren't as much of an issue. My mask is tested pretty much every night. I get into the b'fly and square to the puck, and I guess my head is perfectly in line with the top shelf. The secret to survival is a good mask with fresh foam, a thick ass Sham sweatband, a dangler, and a lack of brain cells to damage

As for running, that pisses me off. Problem is, I fed a dude some blocker a couple weeks ago, and was warned by the ref that using my blocker was assault, and I didn't want the law to get involved. I was like "WTF?!? A guy gets a game for fighting, and we get the law called on us". That was nuts. When I asked a senior goalie about it, he told me it was legit, and that anyone who uses their blocker is a thug. After recovering from the mild stroke I had hearing that shit, I asked him what church league he played in, because Langley ASHL might as well be the Prince George goon league. Srsly.

Awesome man!
You were getting stressed out there for a bit with your setup. Good to see you're gaining confidence in your protection again.

The Ninjas still need you for the game on Saturday the 23rd. That should be a great game with a few more of our key guys back in the lineup. I'm actually sad that I can't make it

Yeah I was. It was really the fear of another puck in the knee and throat.

I got my game back dude. Absolutely. Even got a shootout win the other day after standing on my head to claw back froma 4-2 deficit.

I'll totally play for u man.

FYI, Poke checks are much more "legal". and hard to call. Forwards get scared if they know you can poke check well (which I do.) cuz they don't want to fly face or knee first in the boards at full speed. Especially now with Stamoks being injured by the post the other day....

Blocker wise, you jam the beveled edged at the back of knee during a "bfly". It's more legal, and I know it hurts them like the dickens. cuz hey...if they're close enough in the crease for you to do it.... haha
Old 11-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #2148
UFO

Quote:
The thing that bugged me the most was that there was no call!
Yeah darn near impossible to draw high sticking calls with a cage, ref probably thinks you just lost your balance and fell on your ass yourself. I think I've had 1 call against, and probably a few handfuls missed. The price to pay to save your teeth
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #2149
x_x

Quote:

Agreed.

Awesome man!

Blockers to the face is pretty srs business, nobody really expects it, which makes for a nasty sucker.

I had a goalie one time try to plea to the ref to have a goal disallowed because i rang the puck right off his helmet and in

Ever play out in 8 rinks?
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #2150

seriously? Off the mask?

What a moron.

Yeah dude. Every now and again.

As a goalie, you gotta be sneaky about the blocker. Everything you do is "happenstance from the nature of the position's techniques"

lol