REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:41 AM   #2326
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Edit-double post
Advertisement
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #2327
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
I know one if not both of those boys at cyclone used to work at sportchek.

Sportchek actually does a good job if you find someone that is consistent and always go to him. Sportchek gets scary Sometimes because of the turn over an and if you happen to get a rookie or someone that just sucks at sharpening.

Justin (asian guy short hair) at Richmond does a pretty consistent job, there is another fobby looking asian with longer hair and chubby cheeks that doesn't do a bad job either..
Posted via RS Mobile
One of them used to be a Sportchek guy but both also had the privilege of being trained by Tobi at Cyclones.

I don't doubt Sportchek has their fair share of good (along with the not so good) sharpeners but I'd prefer to have someone who sharpens all day rather than have to try to be a jack of all trades.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #2328
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUETIGER View Post
^^^i notice there aren't many puckmarks on your gear hahaha
HAHA True. That was taken last summer for a friend's photography portfolio.

At that point I only had the pads for about....2 months? =D and the gloves, only about 4. HAHA
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #2329

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I finally pulled the trigger on those clearance 11k's on Goaliemonkey. A few shots to the stomach where my chestie and pants meet were the last straw.

The only thing I wished for was for me to act when it was 25% on Black Friday That said I think they got cheaper now, so with the current coupon code it's about the same price (I remember pricing them out to 300 after exchange and tax last November).

Now May just needs to come so I can check out the new GNetik 5.0s. THS has the Ritual G2 offshore sample in store. It looks and feels EXACTLY the same as the custom. I just don't know how they will hold up in the long run. That said, I guess that's what everyone in non-custom P4s/CCMs are worried about since they moved all offshore.

hypa- you still in the SubZeros? iirc they were 33+? I was wondering how tall you are, and your ATK/FTK? I don't want to be a dork and try on pads months before actually purchasing. Also, it'll give me an idea on what size I'd need to expedite the purchasing process lol
I'm drooling over the 5.0's and G2 offshore.

Personally, I don't see that much of an issue with the RBK off shore stuff. I only have an issue with the fact that they still charge the offshore pro models the same price (or more) as everyone else.

I WOULD try on the pads in store, especially at THS. THey actually ENCOURAGE that, as there's no real way to find out unless you do. Bring your skates with you to do it.

They also have demo sets that you can try out on ice for a few days. They only need a deposit.

TRY ON YOUR PADS BEFORE YOU BUY!!! Cuz once you do, you can't return them.

As for the 11K's.....get a clavicle/neck bib. they hang short on the neck.....not good when you take a shot around the collar area.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #2330
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
I'm drooling over the 5.0's and G2 offshore.

Personally, I don't see that much of an issue with the RBK off shore stuff. I only have an issue with the fact that they still charge the offshore pro models the same price (or more) as everyone else.

I WOULD try on the pads in store, especially at THS. THey actually ENCOURAGE that, as there's no real way to find out unless you do. Bring your skates with you to do it.

They also have demo sets that you can try out on ice for a few days. They only need a deposit.

TRY ON YOUR PADS BEFORE YOU BUY!!! Cuz once you do, you can't return them.

As for the 11K's.....get a clavicle/neck bib. they hang short on the neck.....not good when you take a shot around the collar area.
Do you normally bring your pants as well? I'm in older V2's that aren't very bulky, so I guess it's not necessary. Skates for sure I had planned to bring for a fitting. I'll be buying local so no buying blind online.

I didn't know about the demo sets- I'll definitely check them out!

And I have a Reebok clavicle protector already. It integrates quite nicely with the 11k. At least better than with my old Vaughn. The neckline on the Vaughn was a bit lower already, so there was no way I was going to play without extra clavicle/neck protection. I only just removed my dangler, but that's because the 11k floaters get in the way when I turn my head. There's very little daylight to my neck as it is, so I hope that nothing gets by. It closes nicely when I tuck my head into my shoulder (or raise my shoulders up, whatever way you want to call it).

The arms are already softening up nicely. Yesterday I couldn't put on the straps of my mask. This morning- I was able to secure one strap lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
Holy crap those X7.0s for $295. I'm currently in a 6D, but a 6EE looks intriguing enough to try them. HMMMMMM

And which Rituals are you getting? the 32s or 34s? lol those prices are crazy

Last edited by m3thods; 02-28-2014 at 09:19 AM.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #2331
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
I finally pulled the trigger on those clearance 11k's on Goaliemonkey. A few shots to the stomach where my chestie and pants meet were the last straw.
Good call on the 11k's. Taking pucks to the guts is tough. It happened to me a couple of times when I went with the Ventus chestie, and Warrior Ritual pants and my old Boddam jock. Most of the time I was tense enough to shrug it off, but the one time I wasn't ready for it to hit me there, it took the wind out of my lungs.

I bought the matching Ventus jock the next day.

Quote:
hypa- you still in the SubZeros? iirc they were 33+? I was wondering how tall you are, and your ATK/FTK? I don't want to be a dork and try on pads months before actually purchasing. Also, it'll give me an idea on what size I'd need to expedite the purchasing process lol
I love my Subzeros.
Ended up going with the 33+2, after demoing the 34+1 at the hockey shop. Those were a little too tall for me. My overall height is about 5'11", atk is about 16.5" (iirc, but darn close). My legs aren't very long. In fact, my 33+2 are a little big. A wider stance, and longer toe tie have helped significantly. Also, skating.

I still have my Reebok 33+2 Premier Series pads. They're a little smaller than my Brians, and a lot heavier. The 33+1/33+2 size seems to work well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUETIGER View Post
Just get 3 sets of gear! Hahaha
Oh man, I wish!
Magic Ice has a set of the Vaughn vintage color pads. They're 34+1, and so supple. Not a lot of use on them, plus he has the matching glove and blocker.

They're pretty much the same as these.

so sweet..... with my matching CCCP Tretiak jersey.

Quote:
so much win!
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #2332
kwy

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
^Those are fucking sick
1989 BMW 525i
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2006 Mazda 3
2008 Jeep Liberty
2003 Infiniti G35
1995 Eagle Talon
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1981 Pontiac Trans Am
1992 BMW 535i
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #2333

Thanks Hypa!

I'm a lowly 5'7 but my ATK is ~17 (FTK ~19.5). I'm guessing I'm a 32/33 depending on the pad.

And those Vaughns look a lot better than the other vintage pads I've seen (Lui's Reeboks, the Brians). Too bad they don't fit me, and I haven't found a Vaughn glove that I liked lol
Old 02-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #2334

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:

And which Rituals are you getting? the 32s or 34s? lol those prices are crazy
I'm thinking about getting the 34+1.5, but they have a single break. I'm currently using Reebok Revoke 7000's that have a double break. Is there much of a difference? I have a pretty narrow butterfly and I've heard that narrow butterfly goalies should stick to double break pads.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #2335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
One of them used to be a Sportchek guy but both also had the privilege of being trained by Tobi at Cyclones.

I don't doubt Sportchek has their fair share of good (along with the not so good) sharpeners but I'd prefer to have someone who sharpens all day rather than have to try to be a jack of all trades.
Do you work at that Cyclone? Because I know that Darren was trained at Chek before he went to Cyclone, on their machines at least.
Just wondering where you get your info from.
Posted via RS Mobile
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #2336

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting the 34+1.5, but they have a single break. I'm currently using Reebok Revoke 7000's that have a double break. Is there much of a difference? I have a pretty narrow butterfly and I've heard that narrow butterfly goalies should stick to double break pads.
It's not a hard and fast rule but it's pretty common. You can make single-break pads work but you probably won't be able to close the 5-hole with that nice seal (a page or two back you'll see JS Giguere's butterfly. It'll look closer to that). You can try and curve the thighs and make that nice S, but it'll take a while. The nice thing about single-break is that they technically won't break down as easily.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #2337
retired

I'm still waiting on my custom G2's. Just swung by THS today, and it's most likely looking for end of April/May.

I did buy new blades for my skates. I forgot to bring my skates to the shop, so I was putting them on at home. I dropped a screw in the sink... lol

And the other bolts wont come off... sigh. Looks like I will have to pop by a shop tomorrow to get the put on.

Do you guys tie your chesty to your pants? Before I didn't, and took a few shots to the gut, felt it, but heck, I knew all that beer would pay off someday haha
I haven't had any issue with pucks killing my gut now since I started to tie the 2 together.

Last edited by Truenosan; 03-01-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #2338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post
I'm still waiting on my custom G2's. Just swung by THS today, and it's most likely looking for end of April/May.

I did buy new blades for my skates. I forgot to bring my skates to the shop, so I was putting them on at home. I dropped a screw in the sink... lol

And the other bolts wont come off... sigh. Looks like I will have to pop by a shop tomorrow to get the put on.

Do you guys tie your chesty to your pants? Before I didn't, and took a few shots to the gut, felt it, but heck, I knew all that beer would pay off someday haha
I haven't had any issue with pucks killing my gut now since I started to tie the 2 together.
I used to with my old Vaughns because they were borderline short. With my 11k they run almost to my crotch, so I can't really tie them to my pants properly. I played yesterday with it untied (first game overall with my new 11k) and took a few shots in the lower gut. Unless you're leaping or diving, I can't see pucks sneaking up off my nuts and underneath my c/a to my gut.

Speaking of the 11k- great great pad. Stiff at first, but softened up considerably yesterday. 1-2 more sessions and it's going to be perfect.

HM is running another 20% deal (if only I waited 1 more week lol). It brings the c/a under 200USD, which I think is an absolutely steal (even at the price I bought them at).

Anyone have opinions on a good goalie bag? I'm looking at a carry bag so I can fit it in the car (roller bag frames suck and are heavy). I'm looking at the Sher-Wood SL800 online which seems like a good deal, but there's no mention on what zippers are being used (and zippers are my biggest pet peeve with expensive bags). I'm also looking to put everything including pads in the bag. I'm done with the "player bag while holding pads out" idea. Too much work lol
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #2339
retired

THS has plenty of bags to choose from. The ones made by Eagle? I think can fit your pads in them too. It is just one big deep bag.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #2340

Quote:
Do you normally bring your pants as well? I'm in older V2's that aren't very bulky, so I guess it's not necessary. Skates for sure I had planned to bring for a fitting. I'll be buying local so no buying blind online.

I didn't know about the demo sets- I'll definitely check them out!

And I have a Reebok clavicle protector already. It integrates quite nicely with the 11k. At least better than with my old Vaughn. The neckline on the Vaughn was a bit lower already, so there was no way I was going to play without extra clavicle/neck protection. I only just removed my dangler, but that's because the 11k floaters get in the way when I turn my head. There's very little daylight to my neck as it is, so I hope that nothing gets by. It closes nicely when I tuck my head into my shoulder (or raise my shoulders up, whatever way you want to call it).

The arms are already softening up nicely. Yesterday I couldn't put on the straps of my mask. This morning- I was able to secure one strap lol
You can bring the pants as well. Actually, you SHOULD . 'cuz pant/pad integration is very important.

i hope so. I had a Simmons 997 for a while and a dangler, but still had a shot go up and hit me in the throat. I got the neck bib the very next day. Mine is the one that wears like a shirt
http://img.inlinewarehouse.com/new_p.../TCREEPJ-1.jpg

It has extra back and heart guard protection which is nice. Sport Chek was clearing them out for $50!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #2341
retired

In case some of you didn't know, if you need any alterations to your gear, such as re-palming your gloves, or in my case, I had new velcro patches to replace my worn one on my pads, take it to Henry's Shoe Repair on Main and 49th.

This guy is amazing, he's an old timer, and he knows his shit lol
Old 03-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #2342

I was referred to him by a couple of the local hockey shops. I hear only great things about him, and plus his place is open 7 days 11-11 (says Henry last time I called).

I'll definitely make the effort to see him next time I need stuff done.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #2343
RS controls my life!

Do anyone play Stick and Puck during the day? I've been looking for a partner to play once a week to improve on ice skills.

Let me know.
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #2344

Quote:

I've always tied them to my pants because I like my gear more on the snug side. I'm a pretty fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda tender, so I like everything to move with me.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #2345

Quote:
In case some of you didn't know, if you need any alterations to your gear, such as re-palming your gloves, or in my case, I had new velcro patches to replace my worn one on my pads, take it to Henry's Shoe Repair on Main and 49th.

This guy is amazing, he's an old timer, and he knows his shit lol
I compared him to Cecil at THS. I think Cecil's work is a bit more detailed. Plus, Henry actually charges a lot more. I asked him to make me a elastic/velcro knee lock strap for me and he wanted $30. Cecil charged me $30 for BOTH.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #2346
retired

Quote:
I compared him to Cecil at THS. I think Cecil's work is a bit more detailed. Plus, Henry actually charges a lot more. I asked him to make me a elastic/velcro knee lock strap for me and he wanted $30. Cecil charged me $30 for BOTH.
I know Cecil at THS is good. I usually take my stuff there, however, I needed it done asap, and driving out there during the work week wasn't feasible. Henry's is open 10-11.

Just wondering, how come you needed a knee lock strap made? I bought new double elastic ones at THS for like $8 each.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #2347

Quote:
I know Cecil at THS is good. I usually take my stuff there, however, I needed it done asap, and driving out there during the work week wasn't feasible. Henry's is open 10-11.

Just wondering, how come you needed a knee lock strap made? I bought new double elastic ones at THS for like $8 each.

Cuz I'm a picky motherfucker. LOL. JK

The ones on my brians were that flimsy single layer one that was horrible. So I swapped them out with the ones on my Bauer RX8's before I sold them.

I lost one but wanted something that looked and felt similar so I had cecil make me one.

I had henry make me one too but didn't look nearly as nice. and costed me double.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #2348
retired

Quote:
Cuz I'm a picky motherfucker. LOL. JK

The ones on my brians were that flimsy single layer one that was horrible. So I swapped them out with the ones on my Bauer RX8's before I sold them.

I lost one but wanted something that looked and felt similar so I had cecil make me one.

I had henry make me one too but didn't look nearly as nice. and costed me double.
function>form? lol jkjk
Old 03-07-2014, 03:29 AM   #2349
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Any one know where I can pick up another Oakley decal for my visor? Some how lost it on my one side.

Last edited by moefoe81; 03-07-2014 at 03:39 AM.
moefoe81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #2350

^Aside from ebay I think you'd be hard-pressed to find one. They don't sell Oakley here anymore so you'll be looking state-side. I've never seen their visors in an Oakley retail store also, but you could always try calling the online hockey retail giants in the US for a clue.