REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #2526
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

any recommendations for a new set of ice hockey pants?
currently i am using a: BAUER VAPOR X:60 ADAPTABLE CORE PAD

this has been working great for me as i use it for both roller and ice (just put a shell on top) but i have hurt my hip twice.. not much padding in that area
Advertisement
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #2527
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
If you want to continue with a girdle then the TotalOne core pad would be a natural progression. We don't get the best selection here, but if you check out hockeymonkey you can find what look like better protective models (I'm thinking the CCM and Tackla).

If you want a traditional pant- I'm a huge fan of Bauer's supreme series. They aren't as full as older pants, but they aren't as tight-fitting as the CCM's seem to be. They are just right in that they're plenty protective, lightweight, and tapered for a good look. I'm currently rocking One80s, which I'm sure you can't find locally except on clearance. They're a great pant (just a notch below the TotalOne, but not the NXG).
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #2528
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

If you can find them, the CCM Tacks college pro stock pants are built like tanks. Almost no spot without padding. I've taken nasty spills onto my hips (usually the part that's exposed in the pants) when wearing tacklas and they hurt like a bitch. These ones even cover up that section. Not much loss of mobility but they are bulkier.
strike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #2529
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
any recommendations for a new set of ice hockey pants?
currently i am using a: BAUER VAPOR X:60 ADAPTABLE CORE PAD

this has been working great for me as i use it for both roller and ice (just put a shell on top) but i have hurt my hip twice.. not much padding in that area
orrr....

Bauer Vapor X 7.0 Sr. Hockey Pants

Spend another 20 bucks on something and they'll take 20% off AND give you a new jock short =D

SCORE!
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #2530
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I'm 5'6 and I am pretty sure I can fit a Jr XL. Was looking at all of the above suggestions you guys have mentioned on hockey monkey earlier at work.

Looking for protection without the heaviness and loss of mobility. I've got great mobility with what I'm using right now and it moves with me perfectly but lacks a bit of support in some areas
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #2531

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
I'm 5'6 and I am pretty sure I can fit a Jr XL. Was looking at all of the above suggestions you guys have mentioned on hockey monkey earlier at work.

Looking for protection without the heaviness and loss of mobility. I've got great mobility with what I'm using right now and it moves with me perfectly but lacks a bit of support in some areas
Supreme series fits that to a T. I came from a tank of a pant (Itech), and when I had to replace it I was pretty skeptical about the Bauer Supremes because it replaced a lot of plastic with HD foam. The guy at THS kept raving about them and after the first game I was hooked. I was even tempted to buy another pair on closeout just so I have one when my current set gets too beat up.

I find the Vapor series a bit tight for my liking (I'm 5'7 185 with thick legs, and the CCM/Vapor series was like wearing compression shorts), but since you're coming from a girdle you may not mind it.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #2532

In case anyone is bored and wants to read my first impression (no ice time yet) of my pads, you can find it here:

CCM Extreme Flex Pro Leg Pad Review - Goalie Store Bulletin Board
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #2533
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,192 Times in 2,274 Posts
My old easton pants decided to go, Synergy 300 or whatever..not really a gear whore.. but these finally ripped...

Today, I purchased TotalOneNXG pants... goddamn i can't wait to get on the ice with these. For a noob like me...

why did I buy? I saw it marked at $170 at sportchek.. with team assist.. 152 after taxes.

id say its a steal
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #2534
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
anyone know of a curve that's exactly the same as the ccm burns from a few years ago? people say getzlaf or lidstrom, but it's not as curved as the burns
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #2535

Finally used my new pads yesterday. Exceeded all expectations. Wow is all I can say.

A more thorough read is up at my GSBB review (link just a few posts up). I couldn't be happier and can only wish to play more goalie.

Last edited by m3thods; 07-28-2014 at 04:28 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 AM   #2536
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

im curious who else faces this problem
small space.. not much room to dry shit out..

aside from GRIT bags..what else...
Old 07-29-2014, 01:02 AM   #2537
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
im curious who else faces this problem
small space.. not much room to dry shit out..

aside from GRIT bags..what else...
Depending on how much space you actually have...

Option 1: Using wire racks like these:

Get Honey Can Do Modular Mesh Storage Cubes at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

I use these in addition with clothespins (for socks), hangers (jerseys, jock shorts) and a broken hockey stick shaft threaded through the holes to hang my skates upside down on the sides. The pants go on top and everything else inside the cubbies.

Option 2: Get a hockey tree

Option 3: Ultra low budget solution. Pick up a bunch of skirt/pant hangers and hang your gear up wherever possible. When I have 10pm ice times I find my gear is usually dry by the morning. As long as you're good about packing everything back up you shouldn't have to worry about your equipment taking up too much space.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:14 AM   #2538
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Depending on how much space you actually have...

Option 1: Using wire racks like these:

Get Honey Can Do Modular Mesh Storage Cubes at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

I use these in addition with clothespins (for socks), hangers (jerseys, jock shorts) and a broken hockey stick shaft threaded through the holes to hang my skates upside down on the sides. The pants go on top and everything else inside the cubbies.

Option 2: Get a hockey tree

Option 3: Ultra low budget solution. Pick up a bunch of skirt/pant hangers and hang your gear up wherever possible. When I have 10pm ice times I find my gear is usually dry by the morning. As long as you're good about packing everything back up you shouldn't have to worry about your equipment taking up too much space.
Option 3 is what Im doing at the moment guess i'll have to keep at it.
However, I've been doing this with the spare bathroom, but since girlfriend and I are going to have a new roommate, i've lost my space.

ugh.

anyone have experience with the rocket dryer?

I really cannot justify spending the money on a grit tower bag.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #2539

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
Option 3 is what Im doing at the moment guess i'll have to keep at it.
However, I've been doing this with the spare bathroom, but since girlfriend and I are going to have a new roommate, i've lost my space.

ugh.

anyone have experience with the rocket dryer?

I really cannot justify spending the money on a grit tower bag.
Will. Don't bother using a grit bag. It will NOT solve your problems and your old lady will murder you cuz of the smell. Not to mention it costs a fortune.

Get the rocket dryer. I've had one for a year now. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. It will be the best thing you've ever gotten for your gear.

BTW, do you have a balcony? If you do you can keep the dryer there. If there's a socket outside, even better. The unit not only dries gear in about an hour, it's very low cost to use (I've done the math), lowers chance of bacterial contamination in gear foam and fabrics, acts as a storage unit, and is very durable, light and collapsible.

It would only take about 1.5 minutes to set up, and will all fit inside a carry bag for storage/travel purposes. <----about the weight and size of a standard sleeping bag

it's very water resistant, so even if you hang gear that's dripping with water, the unit can take it, and still dry everything very quickly. I've been using it on my goalie gear for over an year now with zero issues.

Last edited by BallPeenHammer2; 07-29-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #2540

ALSO...

it's been 5 games in my new Warrior G2 goalie pads now. I gotta say...

....HOLY SHIT THESE PADS ARE FUCKING FANTASTIC!!! b-fly slides have never been easier. I only have to exert a portion of the effort to slide the same distance/speed as I did in my Brians. Everything feels connected, light and stable.

The knee and leg position is also very good. It's alleviated a lot of the soreness I got in my right knee and hips from simply playing.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #2541
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

probably gonna pick up the GRIT Gearbox... I found it for a good price. its got large vents on the side of the bag and the 32" model, its modular enough for easy enough storage and its practical.

I was staring at the 33" GRIT Tower. My biggest issue with the tower is

1. can't fit in my car
2. the base is so goddamn wide
3. WEIGHT

Will build a rack and put in the shower stall and just let it air dry, by the time i come back from work the next day, it should be alright.

Once a week hockey isn't TOO BAD.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #2542
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

One saying for wheel bags/grit bags: If your bag has wheels, you don't.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #2543
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinim View Post
pshhh
for living in small spaces. being as modular and efficient is important than wheels
lol

but i've heard that term before haha

I think my gear may even fit a jr size bag. have ot measure
Old 07-30-2014, 07:13 AM   #2544

if you need modular, I'd still go for the rocket dryer route. Just hanging gear dry won't eliminate the smell, given that the checmicals in your sweat is given time to sink into your gear. Sorry i forgot to take a pic last night. But i'd still do the rocket dryer. THe gear can be dry within an hour and the dryer stored in a closet somewhere cuz it's fully collapsable. That way you don't have to spend a bunch of money to get a large equipment bag or a grit one.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #2545
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
ALSO...

it's been 5 games in my new Warrior G2 goalie pads now. I gotta say...

....HOLY SHIT THESE PADS ARE FUCKING FANTASTIC!!! b-fly slides have never been easier. I only have to exert a portion of the effort to slide the same distance/speed as I did in my Brians. Everything feels connected, light and stable.

The knee and leg position is also very good. It's alleviated a lot of the soreness I got in my right knee and hips from simply playing.
I hear you on that. The G2's are absolutely night and day with my old setup as well (Reebok P3) Sliding is absolutely effortless.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #2546
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinim View Post
suckit.

My goalie bag is bigger than most downtown apartments, and weighs over 70lbs (when full of beer and gear). I would die if I didn't have wheels.

That said, when I play out I use this.

No wheels.

So give the goalies a break.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #2547
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
suckit.

My goalie bag is bigger than most downtown apartments, and weighs over 70lbs (when full of beer and gear). I would die if I didn't have wheels.

That said, when I play out I use this.

No wheels.

So give the goalies a break.
I was gonna go buy this bag.... hahhahahahah
Old 07-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #2548
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

goddamnit
sportchek has that bag on sale for 75bux
and its al gone..except in surrey...
so far...
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #2549
retired

As a goalie, wheels are more needed on the bags, shit gets heavy lol

As a player, I'll never use a wheel bag. Player gear is a feather compared to what goalies haul.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2014, 11:17 PM   #2550
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i use the same wheel bag for goalie and player. why bother have 2 bags
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote