REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:09 AM   #2501
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post

They are finally here!!! I got the call this morning, and just rushed out of work to go pick them up. Cant wait to try em out tonight.
I'll call.

And raise you with:

I was supposed to try them out Thursday but caught a weird flu bug. So no dice 'til Sunday =(
Advertisement
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #2502
x_x

This thread is full of goalie gear whores!

Nice pads though, id love to put some fresh puck marks into them
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #2503
retired

I just tried the pads out last night. Words cannot explain how much awesome they are full of. Big upgrade from Rebook P3 pads.

They are already loaded with puck marks.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #2504
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
I LOVE YOUR PADS GUIZ!!

Here's mine

A HUGE thank you to Danny and the guys at Larry's Sports in North Vancouver.

- 32in
- +2in thighrise
- double break
- HD foam/Jenpro toe bridge
- soft foam recessed knee w/out outer knee flap
- tight fit leg channel

I'll get more nicer pictures up by the end of the weekend. Gonna give it the full "studio" treatment

Last edited by m3thods; 07-19-2014 at 12:00 PM.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #2505
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Does anyone have hockeymonkey code for coupons or cash coupon? I forgot to use my $10 coupon for last month.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #2506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Does anyone have hockeymonkey code for coupons or cash coupon? I forgot to use my $10 coupon for last month.
Their coupon code is on the website. You're better off using that since you can't piggy-back HM rewards bucks with their coupon code. You tend to get more off with their code, unless you're buying something less than $10.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #2507

Quote:
I just tried the pads out last night. Words cannot explain how much awesome they are full of. Big upgrade from Rebook P3 pads.

They are already loaded with puck marks.
Much awesome? Such epic?

Dem feels?

I'm still stuck at home with the flu. Le Sigh =(
Old 07-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I LOVE YOUR PADS GUIZ!!

Here's mine

A HUGE thank you to Danny and the guys at Larry's Sports in North Vancouver.

- 32in
- +2in thighrise
- double break
- HD foam/Jenpro toe bridge
- soft foam recessed knee w/out outer knee flap
- tight fit leg channel

I'll get more nicer pictures up by the end of the weekend. Gonna give it the full "studio" treatment
Ahhh....So you ended up getting it from Larry's and not THS? lol
Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #2509
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
All you guys with new pads are making me want to get some new ones. I currently am using revoke 7ks.. they feel like logs compared to pro model pads lol
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #2510
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
Much awesome? Such epic?

Dem feels?

I'm still stuck at home with the flu. Le Sigh =(
Much awesome, such epic.

I absolutely love em. Just finished a game right now, and still cant catch anything lol
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #2511
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
All you guys with new pads are making me want to get some new ones. I currently am using revoke 7ks.. they feel like logs compared to pro model pads lol
I've got a pair of good condition Revoke Pro's in 35+1 that I'd be willing to part with for cheap. I got a good deal on them but they are a bit big for me, so I'd be more than happy to pass my deal along.

As to gear review, I've had a handful of skates with my goaliemonkey spec 18k catcher and 14k blocker. I'll start with the blocker, it seems to work as well as any other blocker I've used in the past, but with really good protection for the fingers, especially for the $70 that it cost brand new. No complaints or issues whatsoever. The 18k catcher--WOW. I no longer fear stingers on the fingers anymore. Popouts are a thing of the past. This catcher seems to gobble up any puck that gets near the pocket. The only slight beef I have with it is that it doesn't seal up to the ice as well as my old glove did, but I've made some adjustments to that part of the game and it's a tradeoff I would gladly make any day of the week. I also picked up a NOS Brian's Altramax chesty. It's an older pro-spec model, but its really beefy overall. Mobility seems to be pretty good, no complaints with this guy either. It's a bit on the heavy side being older, but meh.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #2512

Quote:
Ahhh....So you ended up getting it from Larry's and not THS? lol
Yeah I've done a lot of business with Danny, so he hooked me up with a killer deal. I don't have the same sway at THS lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #2513
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Thanks UFO, but those will be huge on me. I'm currently using a 33+1 pad.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #2514

Quote:
Much awesome, such epic.

I absolutely love em. Just finished a game right now, and still cant catch anything lol

LOL oh? How do you like the glove and blocker so far?

Any issues given that they DO feel quite different than the normal stuff?

On your blocker, I would recommend to do a modification on it. Takes about 2 minutes and only requires a new cinch (Which you can buy at fabricland) and a leather hole punch ( which I have, and home depot has for about $9)

which is to undo the string attaching the cuff protector, and reversing it, punching the holes a bit bigger for the tabs, and cinch it. It makes removing the palm MUCH easier.

See attached pics!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #2515
retired

Quote:
LOL oh? How do you like the glove and blocker so far?

Any issues given that they DO feel quite different than the normal stuff?

On your blocker, I would recommend to do a modification on it. Takes about 2 minutes and only requires a new cinch (Which you can buy at fabricland) and a leather hole punch ( which I have, and home depot has for about $9)

which is to undo the string attaching the cuff protector, and reversing it, punching the holes a bit bigger for the tabs, and cinch it. It makes removing the palm MUCH easier.

See attached pics!

Thanks for the advice! I love the blocker, and how it has extra protection over the fingers. The glove I'm still trying to get used to, I'm having a hard time catching the pucks. Not sure if it's the angle that's all different from my old one, but either way, it's taking a while to get used to.

The pads, just absolutely love them! No complaints, and it's so nice to be able to pop em off in 2 seconds after the game.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #2516

Are you two Warrior guys ditching the elastic toes/heels? They were such a bitch to put on when I was trying them on. I know someone on GSBB (chakal) moved the D loop onto the outside of the pad protection to make it easier for the heels. chakal also moved to a sliding toe bridge.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #2517

Quote:
Are you two Warrior guys ditching the elastic toes/heels? They were such a bitch to put on when I was trying them on. I know someone on GSBB (chakal) moved the D loop onto the outside of the pad protection to make it easier for the heels. chakal also moved to a sliding toe bridge.
I actually figured it out. It's no longer difficult anymore =)

I'm still on the fence. Given that I haven't actually used my pads yet. I still have my toe hook system, but I'm going to try out the response straps tonight. As for what Chakal did, it's for the TOE strap. Which the D ring can be moved onto either side of the calf wrap due to a gap that was seemingly put there on purpose. ( I Think they engineered it that way)
Old 07-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #2518

My bad I didn't remember correctly. All I could remember was skipping the toe part because I couldn't get that posted for the life of me. If you paid attention to my face that day we were trying on pads, you would've noticed a liter of sweat lol

I definitely don't play enough goalie. Current team would rather have me out as a forward, so I think next year I'll just straight up ask if I can be the goalie lol
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #2519

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I love the blocker, and how it has extra protection over the fingers. The glove I'm still trying to get used to, I'm having a hard time catching the pucks. Not sure if it's the angle that's all different from my old one, but either way, it's taking a while to get used to.

The pads, just absolutely love them! No complaints, and it's so nice to be able to pop em off in 2 seconds after the game.
It could be the angle that the catch is at. What was your old glove? P3 as well?

If so, that could be why. RBK gloves traditionally have a "thumbs up catch angle that gives you a better catch coverage vertically whereas the Warrior would have a bit more of a "thumb out" catch angle. Vaughns and Bauer Reactors have traditional "baseball style" catches where it's even more of a thumb out angle which gives you more lateral catch space when your wrist/arm is at a neutral position but loses a bit on the vertical space.
See attached:

P4

G2

Both shots taken at full close, in a position where the glove would be square to the shooter, wrist in neutral position in accordance to forearm (no excessive tilting or pivoting)
Note that the P4's cuff actually even angles down a bit, to prevent skipover, whereas the G2, one would have a tilt it a bit on their own to compensate.

Keep at it. It should be ok. I've already been used to the Warrior glove (I started out with a thumb out catch glove before the P4, which I hated)

Just remember that with the warrior you may need to be a bit more active VERTICALLY When catching VS the P3's.

Blocker wise I agree. I love the finger protection and all other aspects of it. I myself (And my gf lol) love the fact that my glove and blocker never stink anymore LOL.

I don't know what kind of style you play, but I would HIGHLY recommend undoing the velcro straps on the calf from calf landing on the pad. It makes the pad seal in the Bfly quicker (I'll post pics later).

Last edited by BallPeenHammer2; 07-21-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:53 PM   #2520

Quote:
My bad I didn't remember correctly. All I could remember was skipping the toe part because I couldn't get that posted for the life of me. If you paid attention to my face that day we were trying on pads, you would've noticed a liter of sweat lol

I definitely don't play enough goalie. Current team would rather have me out as a forward, so I think next year I'll just straight up ask if I can be the goalie lol
Yeah same here. I was sweating buckets beside you earlier LOL

In terms of the response straps, with the help of Cam at THS, I got the figured out so now it only takes a couple seconds. I DID put the D loop for the heel strap on the outside and kept the toe D loop on the inside of the calf wrap. Super easy to do. Not to mention one can actually adjust the straps as well. Very easy to do and to change in case anything broke. I understand why they kept it IN the calf wrap stock though, given that it could break from a shot. Again, I like the fact that they DID have the common sense to have a split at that area so one could simply push that D-ring tab to the other side for easier access =)

On that note, I'm keeping both of the response straps on the pads. I like them =)

Last edited by BallPeenHammer2; 07-21-2014 at 11:01 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #2521
retired

My old trapper was a Brian's Zero G double T.

I wasn't really fond of the angle on that, however, since I have been using that for over a year and a bit, I got so used to it.

I just love how the G2 trapper sits flush with the ice when you want to cover the puck.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #2522
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Hey all,

Since all of you guys are goalies I might as well ask I'm looking for a full-time intermediate to advanced goalie for my winter weekday team in Burnaby. Its based out of Burnaby 8 Rinks through ASHL.

Let me know if your interested

Thanks
rsx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #2523

Awww I wish I could help but I'm not at that level yet. The others should fall in that category though
Old 07-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #2524

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx10 View Post
Hey all,

Since all of you guys are goalies I might as well ask I'm looking for a full-time intermediate to advanced goalie for my winter weekday team in Burnaby. Its based out of Burnaby 8 Rinks through ASHL.

Let me know if your interested

Thanks
pm'd
Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #2525

Quote:
My old trapper was a Brian's Zero G double T.

I wasn't really fond of the angle on that, however, since I have been using that for over a year and a bit, I got so used to it.

I just love how the G2 trapper sits flush with the ice when you want to cover the puck.

Yeah they catch very similar to the P4.

I'm not a huge fan of Brian's gloves myself. =p