REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 03-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #26
Need to Seek Professional Help

BC racing does have some shock dyno pictures up on the NASIOC website if anyone was interested. I wouldn't know how to read them though.

Companies such as HKS, Megan, Tein get their coilover designs from BC racing.
The new BC racing coilovers have their own design which are different from the ones they produce for other companies.
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2009, 03:45 AM   #27
I STILL don't get it

Link? I actually am interested. Haven't found any reviews for miata applications but there's a group of purists for you. They do seem like good value and I'd be spending that much for shocks alone sometime down the line.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #28
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
The BC Racing coilover shock dyno on NASIOC reinforces how crappy they are. Basically, it shows that softest and hardest on compression settings were the same. They also found the same results on the 8th Gen Civic forums.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #29
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Heres a question... depending on your car... who actually thinks that swapping your stock suspension for an aftermarket one will actually improve your handling and not just the initial turn in?

Also, just curious, who actually takes full advantage of coilovers and aftermarket suspension?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #30
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHui_BC View Post
Heres a question... depending on your car... who actually thinks that swapping your stock suspension for an aftermarket one will actually improve your handling and not just the initial turn in?

Also, just curious, who actually takes full advantage of coilovers and aftermarket suspension?
I think the only ones that take full advantage of coils are the ones who track their cars
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla

Last edited by !Yaminashi; 03-11-2009 at 09:44 AM.
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHui_BC View Post

the way i see it, with my set up,
shock/spring with roll bars front and rear. the turn is is much better with the help of the stiffer suspension as well as the front roll bar. and with the reduced body roll without sounding too dumb i'm sure it helps mid turn as well.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #32
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Wow. How the hell did I miss this thread.

Based on opinions that don't matter, my own, IIRC BCR crap is a direct knock-off of some other knock off bullshit.
Back a few years, when I was younger and naive, I ran Ksport coil-overs because everyone said they were made by D2, and that was supposed to be some good shit. Well, they got the shit part right.

There are 2 basic concepts in a good coil-over system. One is the spring rates, and second is a good shock that is vavled for those springs, and have adjusters that actually work.

Don't take the word of the manufactuer who posts up dyno graphs of their shocks. You want the real definate answer, take the shocks to someone who has a shock dyno, and do some reading from books on how to read the dyno graphs. Any moron can post on the internet, but only someone who actually know's will write a book and get it published.

That being said, Koni shocks are one of the better shocks that actually show their adjusters actually work when you turn the little knob.

Oh, and using that time attack crap as definate proof, I have a bridge that i can sell you. It is right next to some beach front property in Oklahoma. "tuners" get thrown around quite a bit. I see it quite a lot with all the fan bois and their prasise for AJR and their T1R garbage.
Take a look at some of the better prepared cars that autoX in the US, or the cars that run certified racing series in the US/World wide. One thing you will notice is they do not use BCR, Tein, JDM crap coil-overs. They get what the rules allow them, but a lot of them will run Koni race, or the higher end Koni's, Penske, Moton's DC Klein for bimmers.

You want a good coil-over system that is proven, get some koni race and have Koni motorsport or one of their 3 other certified shops re-vavle the shocks to match them to a set of GC coil-overs. All else is FAIL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing

Last edited by SumAznGuy; 03-14-2009 at 11:35 PM.
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2009, 03:08 AM   #33
RS Veteran

^
Thank you.

Also, when you get your shocks rebuilt or revalved, whatever the fuck you do, you should ALWAYS get a shock dyno for EACH shock that you had work done to. No ifs, ands, or buts. Bilstein, Koni, Ohlins, and Penske will do that for you, not some shitbox company in Taiwan.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 03-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #34
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
draft if you want a cheap setup a lot of people just get koni yellow's with ground controls. tho some people hear knocking because of the sleeves its still good.... for some =P
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #35
How I Mod your mother

Unfortunately koni has nothing available for my car at the moment
Otherwise I'd already be dropped
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Old 03-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #36
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
^ dude, seriously.... you're a winner man, relax... I understand what you're saying, but you're not hearing me.....

What you're doing is comparing 4 thousand dollar coilovers when we were doing comparisons between D2 and BC which both cost about 1 grand.. I just don't fucking get it? because the OP is in the market for 1k coils, and you're going on about setups that go for over 3k..... then you try telling us how all these German made setups shit on anything Taiwan made... like that's really news.... even Hyde or Timpo would know something like that.

nobody here is disagreeing with you, like the guy up there said most of us will never track our cars so BC racing was more than enough suspension for us... and offcourse they're fuckin functional, don't say somethin like that, you're thinking of E-Bay coils homie

It's been a while since I got rid of my 94 RX-7, but if I remember correctly I had a Billstein setup on that car, cuz that was a gotdamn race car for me. But my coupe weighs almost 3800 lbs with me inside the car, (I'm 200lbs) it's a heavy ass car, believe it or not it weighs more than the gotdang 4 door G sedan. So I doubt there's much even top notch coil setups can do for my car.

So if you're trying to tell ME it's I wasted my money buying BC or D2, then I'll tell you the exact opposite, cuz the real waste of money is be blowing 4 grand on coils when my car strictly sees city streets, and it's been months since I went past 3500 rpm.....

Last edited by G-spec; 03-15-2009 at 06:57 PM.
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Unfortunately koni has nothing available for my car at the moment
Otherwise I'd already be dropped
What car do you have?
Koni also has the race in insert form that should fit your application.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #38
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
What car do you have?
Koni also has the race in insert form that should fit your application.
I drive an 08 sentra SE-R
Quote:
Old 03-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adon View Post
^ dude, seriously.... you're a winner man, relax... I understand what you're saying, but you're not hearing me.....
If you don't know what you are talking about, then maybe you shouldn't post to avoid looking like an idiot.

Let's start of with what a good "coil-over" package should have. First off is travel. On the K-sport/D2's that I have seen, they have limited suspension travel. When i say limited, 3 inches of travel is not enough. You have 1 inch of travel for droop, 1 inch of travel goes to the bump stops so you don't bottom out the shocks, that leaves you with 1 inch of travel.
Second, is springs and spring rates. Most aftermarket coil-overs use generic springs. There is no one size fits all for spring rates, so in the end the springs might be too soft or in most cases too stiff for the application. Second is the spring itself. Most of these cheap coil-overs use cheap springs, springs that may vary in spring rates between the springs with the same quoted rates. Lastly is, these cheap springs may but mostly won't have the same QC as the better springs. G/C uses springs made by Eibach, so you have lots of spring rate and spring length choices.

Since BCR offers a replacement shock for less than $100, can you get them rebuilt or re-vavled? Most if not all of the cheaper shocks cannot be re-built or re-vavled for a reason.
Hell, even the higher end JDM stuff cannot be re-built or re-vavled. And on that topic, do you know why you would want to get the shocks re-vavled?

Lastly, these cheaper coil-overs offer X number of adjustments, but how much changed do they actually make to the characteristics of the shocks? I have faith in Koni's and other higher end shocks. Many people have dyno'd their JDM shocks and most fail when it comes to this.

Most of the crap I have seen you post on this thread is total garbage. Your 3800 lb G, why wouldn't a properly setup coil-over help your car? I can tell you why it would help. Besides lowering your car, a proper setup with stiffer springs will help keep the body from rolling, and will improve mechancial traction. Hell, my car is on stock springs due to the class I run in, but the re-vavled koni's is my way to stiffen the suspension so it acts like I have stiffer springs.

Also, you compare the BCR with Tein coil-overs with EDC, why can't I compare them to true race shocks?

Lastly, most of the people who post on the internet about their BCR or Ksport/DS coil-overs are people who have little to no expertise in this area, but because of the internet, anyone can post their views/comments/reviews of anything they feel like. I've seen reviews where people say all-season tires were as good as snow tires. Talk about major FAIL.

If you want to be cheap, then why spend $1000 on a set of coil-overs. Spend the money on a set of lowering springs and be done with it.

I went over both D2 and BCR's site. Both mention their shocks were re-buildable, but no where on their site does it say who or where they are re-built and no mention of getting them re-vavled.
BCR says their shocks are compression and rebound adjustable, but that is not true. They only have one adjuster that is meant to adjust compression but might have some affect on rebound indirectly.
No mention of who makes the springs or what the spring rates are or whether or not you could change the springs.

Not a lot of useful info on their sites.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing

Last edited by SumAznGuy; 03-15-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I drive an 08 sentra SE-R
I had an 02 SE-R, if the suspension is anything similar, DO NOT get the Ksports or BCR's. Your car has limited suspension travel to begin with. Driving around on the bump stops is not a lot of fun.
Koni has inserts that work on the older SE-R's and I do believe they will work for your application. Then get them professionally installed and shortened, and get s set of GC sleeves and springs or lowering springs.

http://www.koniracing.com/8611.cfm
The 8610 should be the right ones for your application.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing

Last edited by SumAznGuy; 03-15-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #41
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
SumAznGuy, I wasnt even talking to you, I was pointing to bcrdukes, guess I should have quoted him.... but aight I'll respond all the same

the stuff I posted in here is garbage ? for real ? how so ?

because the OP was asking about 1k coils, and I'm trying to point him to one of the best coils you can buy for under $1500, so he wouldn't have to go with Ebay brands he was leaning towards. I post a direct answer related to the OP's question and you call it crap ?

but let's take a look at what you're posting and how relevant it is ? as informational your posts are, you're yappin about high end coils and their suspension travel and dampening and whatnot. But hey.... this don't mean shit to the OP, you know why ?? cuz he's asking about a set of 900 dollar fucking coilovers.

your posts are informative and correct, and bcrdukes posts are valid as well, nobody is disputing that.... but you guys are trying to sell a family man a 2 seater super coupe, when all the guy needs is a minivan...

....although your last post about the Koni's is a good suggestion, he could go with those.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adon View Post
SumAznGuy, I wasnt even talking to you, I was pointing to bcrdukes, guess I should have quoted him.... but aight I'll respond all the same

the stuff I posted in here is garbage ? for real ? how so ?

because the OP was asking about 1k coils, and I'm trying to point him to one of the best coils you can buy for under $1500, so he wouldn't have to go with Ebay brands he was leaning towards. I post a direct answer related to the OP's question and you call it crap ?

but let's take a look at what you're posting and how relevant it is ? as informational your posts are, you're yappin about high end coils and their suspension travel and dampening and whatnot. But hey.... this don't mean shit to the OP, you know why ?? cuz he's asking about a set of 900 dollar fucking coilovers.

your posts are informative and correct, and bcrdukes posts are valid as well, nobody is disputing that.... but you guys are trying to sell a family man a 2 seater super coupe, when all the guy needs is a minivan...

....although your last post about the Koni's is a good suggestion, he could go with those.
Easy, your BCR crap is no different than the D2's that the OP was asking about. No, those are not as bad as Ebay crap that you mentioned, but really no different than the other $1000 crap on the market.

You mention we are selling him a 2 seat coupe when he wants a mini-van, well you are trying to sell him a 4 door sports sedan.

As a racer, there is one thing that I always remind myself.
1) Fast
2) Reliable
3) Cheap
Pick 2 of the above.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 03-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #43
I STILL don't get it

And this is where we step back and realize that coilovers may not be the only solution to the problem. If Drafts' budget is firm then he should probably look at shocks then springs if there's money left over. Functionality is derived from purpose.

A lot of people buy coilovers just to say that they have coilovers.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #44
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsMaw View Post
And this is where we step back and realize that coilovers may not be the only solution to the problem. If Drafts' budget is firm then he should probably look at shocks then springs if there's money left over. Functionality is derived from purpose.

A lot of people buy coilovers just to say that they have coilovers.
Budget isnt really an issue, I'm willing to pay good money to have a good functional set up. I only wanted coilovers at first because of the ability to raise the car back up in the winter, but then bcrdukes pointed out that I would need an alignment everytime. I totally didnt think of that in the beginning

My only issue is the lack of product availability for my specific application
Quote:
Old 03-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #45

I wouldn't say you would need a new alignment everytime you raise and lower your car. On the 08 Sentra, the rear suspension is non-adjustable, per se.
Front can only adjust for toe, stock.

Since raising and lowering the car doesn't require suspension removal, the alignment should be pretty good. Only thing to check would be for changes in camber since lowering the car will add static (car is in sitting state) camber.

Biggest concern is the adjusters and locking screws will rust and thus raising and lower of the car might not be that straight forward. It would suck if one of the screws would snap on you from the rust and then you can only lower/raise 3 corners.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 03-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #46
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
I went over both D2 and BCR's site...

...Not a lot of useful info on their sites.
That's where the "Contact Us" function comes in handy.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121944
mspeedP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeedP5 View Post
That's where the "Contact Us" function comes in handy.
So why should I have to contact them to find important information about their products? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

If you look at Koni NA site, they list a lot of the important stuff.

Not even a quick reference guide to see what spring rates or who will be doing the rebuilding of their shocks.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 03-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #48
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
BCR crap is no different than the D2's that the OP was asking about. No, those are not as bad as Ebay crap that you mentioned, but really no different than the other $1000 crap on the market.
I love these threads.

just to add to that list, BCR is most likely the same as D2, K-sports, T1R, Attack, Skunk2 etc...

i believe that you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, people in Vancouver don't want to pay to play sometimes or just can't justify it and buy Taiwanese coilovers thinking it's the best stuff in the world just cuz they have retarded spring rates (it's stiff, it must be good shit!!).

To the OP, sounds like you should stick to some H&R springs and maybe Koni yellows for the same price as BC coilovers.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #49
RS Veteran

It's not just people in Vancouver, it's people all over. People, in essence, are cheap and too lazy to do their own research.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #50
Banned (BBM)

Just out of curiosity, whats your guys views on Stance coilovers? I've done alot of research and it seems that they are the best bang for your buck coilovers sub 2000$.
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote