REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 03-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #51
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
I can't speak for everyone else, but me personally... the reason I went with BC is because I just needed two things from my suspension, I needed it to be stiffer than stock, and I needed height adjust ability, that is all.

Obviously these coils are more than enough for my needs so I'm happy, and no I don't think they're the "best shit in the world cuz of spring rates"

to me blowing unnecessary money on coils when you'll never see a race course, is the same thing as buying track racing tires when all you do is drive in the city. Sure you'll have excellent performance but what's the point really ? unless you're a baller or plain old showoff.....

Draft after all these replies, what are you leaning towards ?? good set of shocks to go with your after market springs, or are you going to look for another set of coilovers ?

here's a widebody 350z on the track using D2 coilover setup, body roll and handling look pretty good to me

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZyeTdWagri8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZyeTdWagri8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Advertisement

Last edited by G-spec; 03-19-2009 at 06:35 PM.
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #52
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
So what are the specs on that 350Z with D2 coilovers?
Are they the OTS D2's or the "pro" race ones? Custom revavled compression/rebound? OTS spring rates or custom rates? What sway bars are they running?

Without knowing these things, that video really is meaningless. And a set of coil-overs are gonna look good on a race track where the surface is as smooth as glass. Put them on the roads where you have bumps, potholes, rocks, and debris and you will know what I mean.

As for what you said about running "race" coilovers on the streets, the most important part of it is how much suspension travel you have, how well the shocks are vavled, and of course spring rates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #53
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
^And of course, by OTS, he means "off the shelf".

Fyi, for the inquiring minds.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #54

SumAznGUy I don't have any answers for any of your questions, but I don't think the video is totally meaningless. It gives you at least some idea of what D2 coils are capable of, I thought posting it for the OP would be better than nothing.

I guess according to your infinite suspension wisdom it jus don't cut it

oh well.... I tried
Old 03-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #55
How I Mod your mother

Adon: At this point I have chosen to just go with a set of lowering springs on my stock struts. I went with Tanabes with a very light drop. Ideally I'd like a strut + spring combo but nothing is available.

Maybe if there's an act of god and koni releases something I'll jump on those ASAP
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #56
Banned (ABWS)

Adon: Do you even know what the importance of body roll is? Shut up before you make yourself look like a bigger fool than you already are.
sean_wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:11 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adon View Post
SumAznGUy I don't have any answers for any of your questions, but I don't think the video is totally meaningless. It gives you at least some idea of what D2 coils are capable of, I thought posting it for the OP would be better than nothing.

I guess according to your infinite suspension wisdom it jus don't cut it

oh well.... I tried
And you wondered why I said you spewed out garbage. If you took the time to read even one sentence of what I took the time to write, you'd realize you are a total ricer.

So the car has no body roll, was the car using stock sway bars or aftermarket sway bars? What spring rates is he running? These 2 items alone is enough to keep the body from rolling. Since the race track is as smooth as glass, it's hard to tell how well those shocks will work on regular city streets that are NOT as smooth as glass.

On a smooth race track, I can lower the car to the point the suspension is sitting on the bumpstop which will effectively give me infinate spring rate, it will give me zero body roll, but you would never do that on city streets.

This is basic common sense, not rocket science.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing

Last edited by SumAznGuy; 03-20-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #58
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Ideally I'd like a strut + spring combo but nothing is available.

Maybe if there's an act of god and koni releases something I'll jump on those ASAP
Koni Yellow shocks have 3 height adjustable perches for your springs to sit on if you wanted to adjust height a bit.

a combo that works well and isn't too expensive is the H&R Sport/Race springs and Koni yellow shock.

i'd run that combo over any taiwanese coilover.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashimaro View Post
Koni Yellow shocks have 3 height adjustable perches for your springs to sit on if you wanted to adjust height a bit.

a combo that works well and isn't too expensive is the H&R Sport/Race springs and Koni yellow shock.

Not every koni shock has the 3 adjustable spring perches. The Koni yellow's on my S2000 on has 2.

The ones for my old Sentra, the fronts were inserts so you can shorten them to make them sit lower, but the rears were OE replacement style with welded spring perches that are NOT adjustable.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Not every koni shock has the 3 adjustable spring perches. The Koni yellow's on my S2000 on has 2.

The ones for my old Sentra, the fronts were inserts so you can shorten them to make them sit lower, but the rears were OE replacement style with welded spring perches that are NOT adjustable.
Good info dood...never owned a set of yellows myself
Old 03-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #61

Quote:
you'd realize you are a total ricer.

final straw you arrogant fucking prick, I been telling you in all my posts that your answers are proper and you call me a ricer.
Take a look at my mod list below and a picture of my car and call me a fuckin ricer again you asshole... half my mods are jdm shit, so call me a jdm hoe if anything, but a ricer ? you bring a tear to my eye ya prick

you see any stickers? big wings ?? hood scoops ? I even molded my thousand dollar spoiler cuz that's how clean and anti rice I want my shit..

Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #62
How I Mod your mother

Quote:

Thats great info, but like I said there's nothing available...
To be honest this angers me..

Fuckin koni, they dont even respond to my emails, I've emailed them like 5 times
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #63

Quote:

Fuckin koni, they dont even respond to my emails, I've emailed them like 5 times
Problem is that to them, your car's market is small. There are other car's that have nothing availble to them as well. To R&D and get the valving right cost money, yet they might not sell enough to justify the cost.

Cars like Civics and Rustangs, well there are so many on the road and race tracks that it makes sense to make them for those cars. But like I said, if you *MUST* have them, I am pretty sure the 8610 inserts will work.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #64

Quote:

well, your car is pretty new at the momemt, perhaps they haven't made an app for it yet?

Are there any other coilover brands out there for your car yet?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #65

Quote:
all of my mods are shit
Corrected your post.
Damn ricer.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #66
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Problem is that to them, your car's market is small. There are other car's that have nothing availble to them as well. To R&D and get the valving right cost money, yet they might not sell enough to justify the cost.

Cars like Civics and Rustangs, well there are so many on the road and race tracks that it makes sense to make them for those cars. But like I said, if you *MUST* have them, I am pretty sure the 8610 inserts will work.
Well I just mean all the other cars in my car's price range (civics, mazda 3, GTI etc) all have something available from koni. Besides the mazdaspeed3 and Si, I honestly cant see tons of 2.3L mazda 3's and civic EX's at the track.

I dont see too many of the new SE-R's or spec-v's around, but there are TONS of 2.0S and SL's on the road

The least they could do is email me back and tell me that there are no plans at the moment

Quote:
well, your car is pretty new at the momemt, perhaps they haven't made an app for it yet?

Are there any other coilover brands out there for your car yet?
I'm hoping thats the only reason nothing from Koni is available.. There are coilover brands, but they're from Megan and ksport. I'd rather not go with those
Quote:
Old 03-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #67

Quote:

I'm hoping thats the only reason nothing from Koni is available.. There are coilover brands, but they're from Megan and ksport. I'd rather not go with those
good call, i'd probably stay away from those as well.

Does Nismo have anything for your car? it'll probably be only a 1" drop at max with stiffer springs/valving, but it's tough to beat OEM quality...
Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #68
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
good call, i'd probably stay away from those as well.

Does Nismo have anything for your car? it'll probably be only a 1" drop at max with stiffer springs/valving, but it's tough to beat OEM quality...
As far as I know, Nismo completely abandoned the sentras. I guess like all other companies, they're focusing on the 350z, GTR etc
If you ask me, its pretty sad when your own company abandons you
Quote:
Old 03-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #69

Quote:
As far as I know, Nismo completely abandoned the sentras. I guess like all other companies, they're focusing on the 350z, GTR etc
If you ask me, its pretty sad when your own company abandons you
well, no offense to you, but it's not like the Sentra SE-R is a popular choice out there. I'm sure Nissan sees the lack of sales and doesn't want to put the R&D and/or marketing into making parts for it.

that sucks dood...i'm sure something will come out eventually...or perhaps some research to see if other parts will fit your car (ie: maybe Altima suspension is the same?)
Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #70
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
well, no offense to you, but it's not like the Sentra SE-R is a popular choice out there. I'm sure Nissan sees the lack of sales and doesn't want to put the R&D and/or marketing into making parts for it.

that sucks dood...i'm sure something will come out eventually...or perhaps some research to see if other parts will fit your car (ie: maybe Altima suspension is the same?)
Yeah, although it is nice to have a car that isnt seen everywhere you look, its the price you pay
Quote:
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #71

Quote:
Corrected your post.
Damn ricer.
head over to members journal section go in my thread and find 1 person to agree with you that all my mods are shit and that I'm a ricer and I"ll personally hand you a grand in cash at the spring meet on sunday
Old 03-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #72

Quote:
head over to members journal section go in my thread and find 1 person to agree with you that all my mods are shit and that I'm a ricer and I"ll personally hand you a grand in cash at the spring meet on sunday
sumaznguy - if i agree with you that his car is rice, you wanna split the money?

seriously though Adon, who cares what people think of your car. it's just Revscene. don't let it get to you dood.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #73
How I Mod your mother

^to add to that, I'd hate to see this thread head into fight club.
I'd like to be able to look back on this thread in the event something does come out

There's some good info here, I think
Quote:
Old 03-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #74

Quote:
Awwww, did I hurt your feelings? Do you need me to stroke your ego and make you feel better.

Yes, all your JDM mods are the Shiet!!!! You car is so Hawwwttt!!! *drool*

Can't refrain from flapping to the picture of your car...
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 03-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #75
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:

I was pricing this set up brand new and it runs over or close a grand MRSP (IIRC). So no, it isn't exactly cheap, hahah. It's certainly running into C/O area but cheap C/Os at that.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote