REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #226
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Gaborik or not, get ready for ride

Next few weeks will be interesting, to say the least

By Tony Gallagher, The Province
June 26, 2009 8:12 AM

The spectre of Marian Gaborik playing with the Vancouver Canucks certainly puts the cat among the pigeons when it comes to speculation.

Nobody buys a house in a city, as Gaborik has done in West Vancouver, unless there is a pretty fair chance he intends to come to Vancouver and given there is no way Canucks GM Mike Gillis could have spoken with him, it's fair to assume that his old Slovak buddy and former Minnesota linemate Pavol Demitra has sold him on the team and the area with respect to life here on and off the ice.

If he's "Plan B," that's one thing and, at this point, that's the most likely scenario if he comes. But is it possible that the Canucks could fit the Sedins in under the cap and they would be joined by one of the most dynamic players in the game (if he's healthy)?

It's all fantasy stuff right now --wild fantasy, in fact, which might be snuffed out with a Sedins walkaway -- but if the latter were possible it would call for the most careful of all salary-cap management. And it would certainly provide a most splendid come-on to the twins and the likes of Ryan Kesler and Roberto Luongo next year to all go ahead and take a little less money to make something like that possible long term.

To make all this dream a possibility in the same lineup, the Sedins and the Minny phantom would have to produce a cap hit of an average of $5.8 million US per, each, and not a penny more. Hard to believe Gaborik would work for that kind of money, given he's already turned down an average of $7.8 million over 10 years from the Wild, but that was under Jacques Lemaire -- what the hell, we're probably dreaming here, anyway. Work with us.

Then again, if he were to be joining a team with his buddy and the Sedins, plus the back end and Luongo all in place, taking less money might not be so unattractive.

The Canucks already have $34 million committed for next year and to fit this fantasy team in under the cap they would need co-operation from everyone.

There have been small signs of such co-operation already. Steve Bernier took a $500,000 per year pay cut to re-sign here and Alex Burrows could have gotten much more had he gone to free agency and he knew it. He chose to stay here. The question is, will the Sedins do the same?

Right now, it doesn't look good and that's about all you can say. With Gaborik buying real estate here and virtually no progress of any sort to report in negotiations between the twins and the Canucks, you would have to think "Plan B" is already out on the drawing board.

That makes the money more manageable, perhaps even for the Canucks to take a run at Jay Bouwmeester, if in fact he becomes available July 1, or the cheaper budget version -- which would be New Jersey's departing defender Johnny Oduya.

If they went for Bouwmeester, it would leave them in a position of being at least one top-six forward short, hoping that Mason Raymond or Cody Hodgson could be good enough to play at that level given the greater push from the back end.

Oduya or a cheaper version of a fifth defenceman would allow for another top-six forward to come in either by the trade route or through free agency and leave the team less vulnerable offensively, but less formidable on defence.

Clearly, if the Canucks were to get a Bouwmeester or even Oduya and add some cheaper depth, they would be in a position to consider moving Kevin Bieksa, who at his salary level would certainly command huge interest around the league. Rest assured they don't want to move Bieksa, but it is an option moving forward.

Gillis wouldn't comment on any of this wild stuff, obviously, but he did say Thursday from Montreal: "There are plenty of players available," indicating as he always has that if the Sedins choose not to re-sign in Vancouver, it will not be the end of the world for the Canucks.

"We really want them back and they've said they want to be back, but in order for that to happen certain things have to happen," Gillis said of the twins, presumably referring to them accepting the Canucks' financial parameters. "We're getting down to it now and we'll soon know in what direction we're going."

No matter how this turns out, the next two or three weeks are going to be one helluva ride for Canucks fans.

Tony Gallagher
© Copyright (c) The Province
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #227
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Canucks close to locking up Luongo

While his agent says there is no deal, doesn't deny an agrement has been reached

By Iain MacIntyre, Vancouver Sun columnist
June 26, 2009 9:23 AM

Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo talks to reporters at the end of the Canucks’ 2008-09 season.

Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo talks to reporters at the end of the Canucks’ 2008-09 season.
Photograph by: Mark van Manen, Vancouver Sun files

Of all the names been propelled through the jet-engine of the National Hockey League's pre-draft rumour mill, none was bigger Thursday than Vancouver Canuck goalie Roberto Luongo.

And he isn't going anywhere, except likely back to the Canucks for several more seasons. An ESPN.com reporter said Luongo and the Canucks had agreed on a contract extension that will be announced July 1.

The goaltender's agent, Gilles Lupien, offered an unequivocal denial.

"No, it's not true," Lupien told The Vancouver Sun. "I don't know where that started. It's amusing slightly. One guy says to someone: 'I think, I think, I think.' Next phone call it's a 10-year contract, then a 15-year contract. I've had no contact [with the Canucks]."

Lupien did everything but say "read my lips," which wouldn't have done much good since he was speaking on the phone from Montreal, where he, Luongo, and every rumour/report in the NHL resides this week. Lupien lives there year-round, Luongo for much of the off-season.

Told of the report, Canuck general manager Mike Gillis, also in Montreal for tonight's entry draft, quipped: "I didn't think ESPN covered hockey." But Gillis confirmed: "We've had preliminary discussions but can't conclude anything before July 1."

Somewhere between Lupien's denial and Gillis' non-denial is the truth, which appears to be excellent news for the Canucks even if it's bad news for the credibility of agents everywhere.

A long-term extension for Luongo not only guarantees the franchise retains its best player, it gives Gillis more cost certainty in a volatile economy and allows the Canucks to try maximizing in trade one of their best assets, minor-league goaltender Cory Schneider, without the worry they might soon need him in Vancouver.

A new deal for Luongo would also strengthen Gillis' bargaining position with impending unrestricted free agents Daniel and Henrik Sedin because it makes clearer how much the Canucks have left to spend and ends any possibility that Vancouver's leading scorers will leave as free agents next week, to be followed out the door a year from now by Luongo.

The Canuck captain has one season and $7.5 million remaining on his contract. Players can not sign an extension until July 1 the year before their contracts expire, but teams are allowed to negotiate ahead of that date.

Gillis and Luongo met last week in Las Vegas at the NHL awards ceremony.

Gillis made it clear after last season that he'd like to get his best player re-signed before the current contract slides into its final year. And Luongo, although widely criticized for not pledging permanent allegiance to the Canucks — the 30-year-old said he wanted to play where chances were best to win a Stanley Cup — acknowledged the Canucks' need to know his intentions this summer.

"Obviously, I understand that situation," Luongo said in May. "At the same time. . . this is something that's going to have to be discussed this summer with my agent and my family and we'll see where it goes from there. As long as there is a chance here to win a Cup, then there will be some serious consideration."

Summer began four days ago.

As for winning a Stanley Cup, the Canucks are vastly better with the Sedins than without them. Luongo knows this. It's quite possible he would take less than market value to stay in exchange for the Canucks' promise to do everything possible to keep the twins.

Gillis has not budged on his five-year offer to the Sedins for slightly more than $5.5-million-US per season, although their individual value, based on salaries of comparable players around the NHL, appears to be closer to $7 million annually apiece.

If the Canucks can get their offer to $6 million a year, the Sedins might take it for the chance to keep playing together in a city they love.

If they leave as free agents, there are plenty of high-end, high-priced players being shopped by teams desperate to lower their payrolls. But some of these contracts are potentially crippling.

On Thursday, the Boston Bruins were fielding offers on 21-year-old sniper Phil Kessel, who probably won't fit under the team's salary cap after next season. The Florida Panthers are holding an auction for the negotiating rights to Jay Bouwmeester, who becomes an unrestricted free agent on Canada Day.

Several teams have called the Canucks about Schneider, the 23-year-old former first-round pick who went 28-10-1 with a 2.04 goals-against average and .928 save rate this season before leading the Manitoba Moose to the American League final.

"There's a lot of players to be had," Canuck assistant general manager Laurence Gilman said of the buyers' market. "A lot of talk but not a lot of activity at this point. We've had a lot of discussions with teams about assets. It's been a busy day."

The Canucks pick 22nd in the tonight's opening round of the draft. Rounds 2-7 are Saturday.
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Old 06-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #228
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I don't see how it's do bad, I could see Burke making the deal for sure the only thing is that Burke suuposidely likes kaberle alot
I think it is a bad deal because Kessel is an RFA. He produced 60 pts last year while missing quite a few games at the same time Kaberle is a multiple time all-star, the 2008 all-star competition accuracy shot winner, and had 31 pts in 57 games. Kaberle is a good puck moving D-man that a lot of teams is after.
This years draft is a pretty good year, with lots of talented players even in the later picks. Being a #7 pick, I think Burke would be giving up a lot to pick up Kessels.

What makes you think it is a pretty good deal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 06-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #229
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Hockey Guru Bobby Mack thinks the Isles will take Hedman....I think the Isles will find a way to fuck up their first pick
Old 06-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #230

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts
the only way the Islanders can fuck up their first pick is if they get Schenn/Kane over Duchene/Hedman/Tavares lol otherwise any of those 3 is good for a 1st
Old 06-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #231
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I think it is a bad deal because Kessel is an RFA. He produced 60 pts last year while missing quite a few games at the same time Kaberle is a multiple time all-star, the 2008 all-star competition accuracy shot winner, and had 31 pts in 57 games. Kaberle is a good puck moving D-man that a lot of teams is after.
This years draft is a pretty good year, with lots of talented players even in the later picks. Being a #7 pick, I think Burke would be giving up a lot to pick up Kessels.

What makes you think it is a pretty good deal?
+1
Burke isnt stupid...i bet hes just fiddling with Bostons cock

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #232

Ya Burke's a smart cookie...he'll do everything he can to make himself the star of the draft....he'll try and pull something outta his ass.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #233
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

@Eklund Sedins are on the table...The Canucks MUST be close on Jay Bo. heading to the Bell Center now.7 minutes ago from TweetDeck

oh shit :noes:

Looks like Isles are going to take Duchene with the 1st pick.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #234
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,658 Times in 2,308 Posts
wow so many articles
Old 06-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #235
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,589 Times in 4,303 Posts
Man this is exciting, sucks I don't have computer net access right now
Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #236
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

can't wait to see how things turn out!
Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #237

Was on Dreger's twitter...: A Habs fan paid a scalper 100$ for a ticket to the draft..lol
Old 06-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
Was on Dreger's twitter...: A Habs fan paid a scalper 100$ for a ticket to the draft..lol
Doesn't surprise me
Old 06-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #239
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Class from 4-6, DVR set to record draft. This thread is now dead to me for the next 5 hours
Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #240
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,001 Times in 1,698 Posts
Wow so many articles. I usually read all of them through, but it started to get too much. lol
This is too crazy.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 06-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #241

TSN has revised the article. Now it is Kessel's plus a draft pick for Kaberle.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 06-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #242
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
This is just as bad of a joke trade as the Pronger one.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282921

Phil Kessels for Kaberle and the #7 pick.
Kessels is an RFA.
The offer is actually Kessel and Boston's pick (possibly 2nd rounder) for Kaberle... I personally think that's a good deal and would jump on it if I were him.... a Jeff Carter for Kaberle offer will not be coming Burkey lol..

Ooops: sorry SumAzn...we posted the same time and I quoted you lol
Old 06-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #243
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,589 Times in 4,303 Posts
Good on you for being able to do that, I need to know now lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Class from 4-6, DVR set to record draft. This thread is now dead to me for the next 5 hours
Old 06-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #244
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I'm excited.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #245

https://twitter.com/darenmillard

just got a note from the leafs. so far no deals to move up.. kypreos and maclean on sportsnet in 40 min.. we have big news from van

7 minutes ago from mobile web

btw. this is a confirmed twitter account cause it's on the sportsnet page
Old 06-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #246
RS controls my life!

I like that offer for the Leafs. Kessel still has a ton of potential.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #247
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,196 Posts
This is more exciting than December 25th!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 06-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post
The offer is actually Kessel and Boston's pick (possibly 2nd rounder) for Kaberle... I personally think that's a good deal and would jump on it if I were him.... a Jeff Carter for Kaberle offer will not be coming Burkey lol..

Ooops: sorry SumAzn...we posted the same time and I quoted you lol
Well, I called it.
Latest update on TSN says it was a major miscomunication. Boston thought they were getting Kaberle and the #7 pick while Toronto thought they were getting Kessels plus a pick.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 06-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #249

TSN-Moderator: Brent Wallace notes that Roberto Luongo, who is reportedly close to signing a contract extension, is at the Canucks draft table.

oh shit
Old 06-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #250
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Here we go..
Closed Thread