REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #1951
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
What the hell is "CDC"? Its not crack I am on, just some heroin. I can not believe you guys like Kyle Wellwood.
Advertisement
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #1952
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,311 Times in 1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cressydrift View Post
What the hell is "CDC"? Its not crack I am on, just some heroin. I can not believe you guys like Kyle Wellwood.
CDC = Canucks Fan Forum.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 08-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #1953
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cressydrift View Post
He's a plug, he produces decently as one and has an upside. For the money there paying him (especially last year) what more can you ask for?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #1954
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
CDC = Canucks Fan Forum.

canucks dot com

and look at what wellwood is getting paid. it's not like he's getting 4 mil a year. at the money he's getting, he's worth it.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
Old 08-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #1955
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Canucks' defence upgrade worth cap hit

Progress: Faster, deeper defence will put smile on Luongo's face

By Jason Botchford, The ProvinceAugust 30, 2009 11:12 AM

Christian Ehrhoff is coming off a 42-point season with San Jose and will be the fastest Canuck D-man.

Swaggering away from one of his best days as a general manager, but one that pushed his team well over the NHL's salary cap, Mike Gillis couldn't help a smile as he gave a reporter something to think about.

"We'll be compliant with the cap on Oct. 1, no doubt," he said. "In fact, we'll have space. We can still sign Mats [Sundin] and we can still do other things."

The next question is as simple as it is obvious: Uh, how?

"Lots of possibilities," was his response, as confident as ever.

Maybe "possibilities" are the most intriguing things Gillis picked up last week when he kissed off cap space, and raided the San Jose Sharks' closet, helping himself to a form-fitting Canali suit, and a reliable pair of Nikes.

Without any risk at all, Gillis snatched swift-skating, risk-taking Christian Ehrhoff, and the steady Brad Lukowich from the Sharks. All he left as a thank you were two longshot prospects in Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi, who appeared to be drifting in quicksand in the Canucks organization.

Not done, Gillis also signed wily free agent, and former client, Mathieu Schneider to a deal that will barely cover his Yaletown rent.

It leaves the Canucks defence deeper, faster, more dangerous, and much, much more interesting.

Off the ice, as fans have already begun fantasizing, the Canucks are positioned like we haven't seen in years to pull the trigger on a blockbuster trade. But, be warned, a deal like that may not be in Gillis's playbook.

Gillis finally has the defence — versatile, balanced and nine deep — Dave Nonis wished he had when he said it was one of the best five in the league on the eve of his ouster.

Remember those stories last season about how the Canucks foundered each time Sami Salo was out of the lineup? Ehrhoff will make you forget.

Remember the lack of shots on the power play or every time you winced, watching Pavol Demitra play the point? Schneider and his cannon will make you forget.

Remember Ossi Vaananen stumbling through eight minutes of ice time in the playoffs? Lukowich, and his two Stanley Cup rings, will make you forget.

In two moves on one day, the Canucks have addressed, and repaired, their most glaring weakness. And somewhere Roberto Luongo is smiling.

"Right now, we have basically nine NHL quality defencemen and in my opinion the weakest part of our team last year was that we didn't have more guys that could play more minutes," Gillis said.

"On defence I think we are better [than last year]. I think we are definitely deeper and we have more offence."

Certainly Gillis, whose team is anywhere from $500,000 to $2 million over the cap depending on the 23 players who make the team, isn't done. At some point, whether it be a trade, a serious long-term injury, or a veteran being banished to Winnipeg, another shoe has to drop.

But Gillis sure doesn't sound like a guy prepping to tear down the blueline he built to deal for a premier forward, like, say, Dany Heatley, who appears destined for San Jose anyway.

"We have to have a lineup where we have multiple 20-goal guys, and multiple 40-point defencemen if we are going to be successful," Gillis said. "We don't have a $5-million-plus defenceman on our roster and in all likelihood we may never be able to.

"That's the way we have to win with Roberto in net because he is that good. If we continue to get development out of guys like [Steve] Bernier, Mason Raymond and Kyle Wellwood, and they contribute 20-plus goals, we'll be in really good shape."

Schneider is a good pickup. He's low risk, high reward. Lukowich is solid. But Ehrhoff is the prize. Sure, he isn't Dan Boyle or Sergei Gonchar, and, yes, he makes mistakes. But at 27 years old, and coming off a 42-point season, he's already a top-four defenceman and the fastest player on the Canucks blueline. He also has a chance to get significantly better by polishing his vast array of skills.

Gillis spent two months trying to pry him out of San Jose and it only happened after the Sharks exhausted all of their options in trying to deal for Heatley with limited cap space.

"He's a good skater, he's 6-foot-2, he has a lot of tremendous features which any team would like," Gillis said. "He's been on [vice-president of player personnel] Lorne Henning's radar for some time."

For now, speculation of what's next will run amok in Vancouver. But when you hear Heatley's name remember this: Trading for him would leave the Canucks with four players — including the Sedins and Luongo — chewing up nearly 50% of their payroll. That would fly in the face of Gillis's stated objective, which is to build from within and shop in the bargain bin, something he had a lot of success doing last week.

E-mail Canucks reporter Jason Botchford at jbotchford@theprovince.com
© Copyright (c) The Province
Old 08-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #1956
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

New Canuck Mathieu Schneider: Vancouver's the only place to be

Almost became a Canuck last September

By Jason Botchford, The ProvinceAugust 30, 2009 11:18 AM

The Canucks didn't make Mathieu Schneider's short-list. That's because he didn't have one.

Vancouver was the only place the unrestricted free agent wanted to play, providing hard evidence to the theory that GM Mike Gillis is slowly changing the culture of an organization which has been marred historically by too many losing seasons and playoff failures.

Yes, Schneider is Gillis's former client. The two share a history and a friendship. But friendships only go so far and generally aren't enough to make a player, without much hockey left, shun both money and options.

"I'm not sure how things were run before Mike, but in talking to people within the organization, everything has just been done right [since he took over]," said Schneider, 40, who started courting the Canucks once last season ended.

"That was something that I was looking for. I kind of handcuffed my agent, Pat Morris. I told him this is the place I wanted to be, and until we exhausted negotiations with Vancouver, we really didn't want to negotiate with anyone else. We never really took any offers from any other teams.

"At this point in my career, it's not about making another million bucks. It's more about being in a situation where my family would be happy and I would be happy."

Schneider said he never considered retirement despite his arthroscopic shoulder surgery after the season, which left him with a four-to-six month recovery period. Despite the surgery, and his age, at least six teams inquired about him.

He turned them all away for a paltry $1.55 million base salary with Vancouver. To understand how thrilled Gillis is with this signing, all you need to know is that he tried to trade for Schneider last September when he was set to make $5.75 million for the season.

"I knew last year when I was in Anaheim Mike was trying to trade for me," Schneider said. "I found out later from a couple of people on the Ducks organization that he was about a day away from getting me before I got traded to Atlanta."

With both sides wanting a deal, the only thing that held up the signing was Schneider's health. Only recently was his shoulder healed enough for him to pass a physical.

Even though he thinks he will be ready for training camp, the Canucks will be cautious, and will likely keep him out of preseason games.

"We don't know if he'll be participating in exhibition games, but that's probably our choice more than it is his," Gillis said. "All the reports we saw [indicate] he's going to be fine. He's on the ice now, he's shooting the puck. He's going to be ready for camp, but maybe not participating in actual games.

"I think 40-year-old players in the NHL have a lot to give in a lot of different ways. Not always in the most obvious."

Schneider gives the Canucks a power-play quarterback but, maybe more importantly, he's a veteran who can mentor Alex Edler, a player who has all the tools but hasn't yet figured out how to make the most of them.

"I go back to even in Detroit where I partnered with Niklas Kronwall for a couple of years and Brett Lebda," Schneider said. "When I was in Anaheim, they had me playing with Kent Huskins. I have been working for the past five or six years with younger defencemen, and to me that has been so much fun and kept me younger.

"Last year [in Atlanta] I was able to play with Zack Bogosian who I think is just going to be a tremendous player in this league.

"Playing with these guys has been so much fun for me, and I look forward to doing it again in Vancouver."

E-mail: jbotchford@theprovince.com
© Copyright (c) The Province
Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #1957
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Ehrhoff should be in town now.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #1958
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

he'll be at the deutsches haus
Old 08-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #1959
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
sweet rumor right here

http://nhlpa.wordpress.com/

To Canucks:

Alex Frolov (UFA by 2010)

To Kings:

Pavol Demitra (UFA by 2010)
Shane O’Brien (RFA by 2010)
2010 3rd-rounder

LOL! anything is possible now
Old 08-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #1960

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
I’ve been getting Twits...
milli vanilli had more credibility...
Old 08-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #1961
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmb View Post
sweet rumor right here

http://nhlpa.wordpress.com/

To Canucks:

Alex Frolov (UFA by 2010)

To Kings:

Pavol Demitra (UFA by 2010)
Shane O’Brien (RFA by 2010)
2010 3rd-rounder

LOL! anything is possible now
Shitty trade unless Frolov resigns.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #1962
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
Interesting trade......
Old 08-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #1963

Quote:
It was royal wedding of sorts in Sweden Saturday as Canucks centre Mats Sundin tied the knot in front of crowd that included fellow hockey stars and Swedish celebrities.

The 38-year-old Sundin married 26-year-old Josephine Johansson, his girlfriend of two years, at the church of Maria Magdalena in central Stockholm.

Among the approximately 200 wedding guests were Canucks forward Daniel Sedin, Peter Forsberg, Joe Nieuwendyk Marius Czerkawski and Tie Domi, who was Sundin’s longtime bodyguard with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“I was Mats’ babysitter on the ice for 13 years. Now, it is Josephine’s turn to take over,” joked Domi to the Swedish sports website www.aftonbladet.se.

“Mats is a happy man now,” said Domi.

While the marriage officially brings an end to his bachelor life, the status of Sundin’s hockey career is less clear. Last week, his agent, J.P. Barry, said he expected Sundin to make a decision on his professional future soon after his wedding. “I’ll get a clear picture pretty quickly,” Barry told The HockeyNews.

“He’s not going to wait as long [as last year] or anything like that. This is an important event for him and then he’s going to make some decisions after this.”

Sundin, 38, waited until mid-December to sign with the Vancouver Canucks last season. He suited up for 41 games, scoring nine goals and 19 assists. He added three goals and five helpers in eight playoff contests.

The possibility of Sundin returning to Vancouver is still a possibility, according to recent remarks from Canucks general manager Mike Gillis, who says re-signing the big Swede remains a possibility.

Although that seems doubtful considering the Canucks jumped $2 million over the NHL’s $58.9-million salary cap on Friday with the signing of free-agent defencemen Mathieu Schneider and the acquisition of blue-liners Christian Ehrhoff and Brad Lukowich from the San Jose Sharks.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #1964
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Shitty trade unless Frolov resigns.
I think it's a even shittier deal if he resigns!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #1965

Quote:
The possibility of Sundin returning to Vancouver is still a possibility, according to recent remarks from Canucks general manager Mike Gillis, who says re-signing the big Swede remains a possibility.
terrible sentence.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #1966
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,311 Times in 1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fobulaus View Post
I think it's a even shittier deal if he resigns!
No kidding. Maybe it is because we need someone who speaks russian with Shirokov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ienhz View Post
terrible sentence.
Well, I won't be upset if he starts to play before the season starts with all the camps and what not. Let's be honest here, he didn't get into his groove till much later. He was pretty amazing in the playoffs when he was back into form.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 08-31-2009, 12:06 AM   #1967

It'll be interesting to see if Sundin comes back to Vancouver or goes to another team but I think he would fit in prefect in Vancouver.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 AM   #1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Well, I won't be upset if he starts to play before the season starts with all the camps and what not. Let's be honest here, he didn't get into his groove till much later. He was pretty amazing in the playoffs when he was back into form.
lol, i was actually just talking about the sentence composition.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:29 AM   #1969
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,609 Times in 549 Posts
I'd totally keep Sundin over Demitra, but where are we going to get the money to pay him
Old 08-31-2009, 01:37 AM   #1970
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,532 Times in 4,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I'd totally keep Sundin over Demitra, but where are we going to get the money to pay him
Something is in the works........

On another note, Sundin is a cradle robber, eh? OK, maybe not. I'd hit it.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:35 AM   #1971
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,704 Posts
Frolov doesn't seem like an upgrade... Canucks' turn to do a salary dump, right?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 08-31-2009, 04:33 AM   #1972
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,323 Posts
He had about 100 million reasons to get a prenup, for his sake I hope he did.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 08-31-2009, 04:47 AM   #1973
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Well, Frolov is an upgrade over Demitra. He's playing on the Kings. He's lost some of his form but hey, he's 27.

$4m isn't a great contact, though. Dumping Demitra's $4m to take on his $4m and getting rid of SOB's good, affordable $1.6m is stupid.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 AM   #1974
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
If that trade actually goes through, don't we only take the cap hit of 2.9 mill for frolov? That's what the cap hit was originally supposed to be on the kings.

http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=LAK&season=0910
97 Civic CX (POS)

Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 AM   #1975
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,584 Times in 610 Posts
that trade makes no sense and will never happen unless lombardi is on drugs
Closed Thread