REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #701
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,584 Times in 610 Posts
looks like the hawks are gunnin for it now and thinkin about it later.
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #702
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,592 Times in 4,306 Posts
Tell me one bad move Gillis has made so far? what not happy with sundin? it was a 1 year deal that didn't hurt us but helped us by getting less pressure on the twins. If you notice every move Gillis has made so far has been percise and smart, there's still a number of very good players out there no need to freak out cause he didn't sign some high name players the first day.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #703

I trust Gillis. He made his promise of how the club would perform last year and delivered. He knows what he needs to do.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #704
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Let's hope our prospects can come up and contribute next season.

We do have Hodgson, Grabner and Walsky who all will be given a shot to gain a roster spot.

So let's hope MG can get us a puck moving defencemen and another top 6 forward.. then I think we're gonna be just fine =D
Old 07-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #705
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
FuuuuuCcccCCkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. Oh well, I guess we have to go with what we have. Hopefully we can get Lu to sign a long term deal.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #706
In RS I Trust

watch Gillis trade Lu to the Lighting for lecavlier then cory will be #1
Old 07-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #707

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
watch Gillis trade Lu to the Lighting for lecavlier then cory will be #1
I think Lu is staying for good.
If not, why would MG make Lu call the draft?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #708
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,463 Times in 5,704 Posts
sign Sundin 2 years @ 3.5
Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #709
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Yup I agree, everyone needs to keep in mind the Canucks still need to keep enough cap space and expiring contracts for next year to resign Kesler and Luongo. Take Chicago for example, with the Hossa signing they fucked themselves for next summer when Kane, Toews, Keith, Barker, Bolland and Versteeg need new contracts.

I couldn't agree more! I mean Hossa is good but it will be tough for them to manage the cap... I would love to see Barker here..
Old 07-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #710
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
all of the teams who got the big names have handcuffed themselves, Gillis still has the canucks in a relatively good position
Good position for what?
Old 07-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #711
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
sign Sundin 2 years @ 3.5
that seems about right.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Good position for what?
Good position for RFA offer sheet frenzyyyyy
Old 07-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #713
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Sounds like Havlat and Saku Koivu are close to signing in Minnesota
Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #714
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Sounds like Havlat and Saku Koivu are close to signing in Minnesota
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283486

Forward Martin Havlat has a verbal agreement to play for the Minnesota Wild.

The paperwork is still being completed so the deal isn't official, but there is a tentative agreement in place.

In 81 games with the Chicago Blackhawks last season, Havlat registered 29 goals and 48 assists for 77 points.

The 28-year old was selected 26th overall by the Senators in the first round of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.

The Czech Republic native has 169 goals and 227 assists for 396 points in 470 career regular season games with the Senators and the Blackhawks
Old 07-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #715
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

I like how Mike Komisariks signing is still front page news on tsns website even though Gionta and Gaborik signed with their respective clubs. Stupid ass Leafs.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #716

Havlat to Wild is official.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/07/01/wild_havlat/
Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #717
degenerate extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Why wouldn't that be significant? He is able to retain 2/3 of his scoring line. And instead of having to find 3-4 top 6 forwards, he only has to look for 1-2 the most. He jsut cut his headaches in half.
this was more towards the cdc crowd of bringing in all the big rfas today
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #718
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Minny got a good deal on Havlat if he can stay healthy
Old 07-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #719
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

damn I feel so out of the loop being in HK and only getting info from my frds. can someone tell me what remaining moves we have? it seems all the rumblings and all the players we were gonna sign (rumored) are all gone now. wtf

who the fuck is aaron rome
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #720

Quote:
Good position for what?
the future?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #721
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Good position for what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
Good position for RFA offer sheet frenzyyyyy
This guy (Hondaracer) just seems to go where the wind blows.

Quote:
odds are were still gonna make a splash in the free agency pool, so it should be an exciting day tom!
Quote:
all of the teams who got the big names have handcuffed themselves, Gillis still has the canucks in a relatively good position
First he calls for a splash, now he favours the current "non-splash" because it refrains from handcuffing the team
Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #722
In RS I Trust

whats so bad about looking at the current situtation as a postive aspect?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #723
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Matthew Sekeres

VANCOUVER — From Thursday's Globe and Mail Last updated on Wednesday, Jul. 01, 2009 11:31PM EDT

After signing Daniel and Henrik Sedin to salary-cap friendly extensions, the Vancouver Canucks are not finished with their summer shopping.

The twins could have become prized free agents yesterday, but wound up agreeing to five-year, $30.5-million (all currency U.S.) contracts each late on Tuesday night. The deals hand the Canucks cap savings, and allowed the team to continue browsing.

The twins’ $6.1-million average annual salaries are clearly discounted for the home team, and further reflect the sluggish market for free agents, uncertainty about the cap in 2010-11, and their desire to remain together.

Vancouver has about $10-million in cap space, and will have about $20-million committed to three players once goaltender Roberto Luongo’s extension is announced, which should be soon. Luongo, 30, is expected to sign an extension worth as much as $7.5-million annually.

“It’s not the most comfortable place to be, but they are core guys and you can’t replace them,” Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said yesterday. “We’re going to have to work really hard to fit a team around them.”

Gillis will prey on teams that are tight to the league’s $56.8-million spending limit and are trying to shed salary. The Canucks still require one or two defencemen who would step into the everyday lineup, or compete for a role on the third pairing.

“We’re pretty active, so we’ll see how the next couple of days turn out,” Gillis said. “We have some plans over the summer, and clearly Roberto is a big part of those plans.”

Gillis said the team would also speak with free-agent centre Mats Sundin, who played a half season for Vancouver in 2009-10. Sundin, 38, is on a fishing trip in his native Sweden, and the sides are to talk this month.

Yesterday the Canucks called defenceman Scott Niedermayer, who re-signed with the Anaheim Ducks for $6-million. Gillis said Niedermayer’s desire to remain in California was evident quickly, but player agent Kevin Epp told Vancouver’s Team 1040 AM that the Canucks “pushed hard” to sign his client, and were seriously considered.

The Canucks also signed defenceman Aaron Rome to a one-year, $550,000 contract. The 26-year-old has played 26 NHL games over three seasons in Columbus and Anaheim, registering three points and 33 penalty minutes.

The Sedins, 28-year-olds who have played eight seasons in Vancouver, ended up with contracts equivalent to forward Mike Cammalleri, who signed with the Montreal Canadiens for the same term and $100,000 less a season.

Cammalleri, 27, has had two 70-point seasons. The Sedins have had four each, and on the open market, in a more certain economy, would have likely commanded $7-million annually.

“We never said that we’re the guys who want to go after the big money,” Henrik Sedin said. “Vancouver was always our No.1 option.”

Only two players received more money than the Sedins yesterday: wingers Marian Hossa, who signed with the Chicago Blackhawks, and Marian Gaborik, who signed with the New York Rangers. Only Hossa and former Canuck Mattias Ohlund received longer contracts.

Hossa received one of the decade-long deals the Sedins were seeking and will make more total money ($62.8-million) at a cheaper annual price ($5.23-million). Gaborik, 27, got $7.5-million over five seasons from the Rangers, and Ohlund, 32, signed with the Tampa Bay Lightning for seven years at $3.75-million a year.

“The economy is really poor, and you’re seeing a variety of different terms as teams try to manage their cap situations and manage the economy,” Gillis said about the opening day of NHL free agency. “We’re all fighting a similar demon in that respect.”

Ohlund was forced to leave Vancouver after spending his first 11 seasons with the Canucks. Vancouver had no intention of re-signing Ohlund, and never began discussions with his camp.

With the Sedins, negotiations went into the dying hours.

The Canucks announced the extensions just minutes before the signing period began at 9 a.m. PDT. The agreements, which come with full no-movement clauses, came only after Gillis and assistant general manager Lauren Gilman flew to Stockholm this week for a summit meeting with the twins and their representation. They spent just 18 hours on Swedish soil, but both sides have said it was critical to reaching common ground.

“We didn’t want to leave that stone unturned,” Gillis said. “All along, I think both sides wanted to come to an agreement. Sometimes it takes the final hour.”

Vancouver has extended qualifying offers to its three restricted free agents: defenceman Shane O’Brien and forwards Kyle Wellwood and Jannik Hansen. O’Brien and Wellwood have arbitration rights.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #724

Quote:

First he calls for a splash, now he favours the current "non-splash" because it refrains from handcuffing the team
Did you just call me Hondaracer? =(
Old 07-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #725

Quote:

umm ok? signing the sedins wasn't a splash?

and yes i do favor moves that put the organization in better positions..

if we signed gaborik for 7 million i would say that would have handcuffed the team, if we signed him for 4 million i'd say thats a good signing

see how that works?