REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Banned By Establishment

To all left lane blocking $@#!%

[youtube]wJGST0XNAIg[/youtube]
[youtube]Z_HJ1IJWz7Y[/youtube]

since there was 2 threads on the discussion, i made this one to be the end-all be-all on this topic. this article conforms to the MOTOR VEHICLE ACT and note the websites name: DRIVE SMART BC. Not drive stupid, not drive like an oblivious idiot that thinks they're saving lives by slowing everybody elses down, not driving 10km over the speed limit means im allowed in the left lane when somebodys tailing me.

Quote:
Left Lane Blockers
Wed, 2008-04-09 20:05 — DriveSmartBC

No one likes a left lane blocker. These are the drivers who inhabit the left hand lane on multiple laned roadway and are oblivious to the traffic behind them that want to pass by. Clearly, they believe that if they are travelling at or close to the speed limit, there is no need for them to move over to the right hand lane for others.

If you are driving in the left hand lane and you are driving at a speed less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing, you must drive in the right hand lane. It is important to note that the words speed limit do not appear anywhere in the last sentence. If you are slower, move over. If you choose not to, you are at risk of being ticketed for failing to keep to the right.

There are two exemptions to this rule. The first allows you to move into the left lane to pass someone travelling slower than you are and the second allows you to use the left lane to prepare for a left turn at an intersection or into a driveway or private road. Preparation for the left turn will depend on the traffic volume at the time, but it is unlikely that a kilometer or more will be considered acceptable.

Left lane blockers increase the risk caused by aggressive drivers. The aggressive driver cares for no one but themselves and will try to get by using any means available. By refusing to move over, the left lane blocker contributes to unsafe lane changes and tailgating behaviour. A defensive driver will reduce the risk by giving right of way even when the law does not require them to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA
Driver on right

150 (1) The driver of a vehicle must confine the course of the vehicle to the right hand half of the roadway if the roadway is of sufficient width and it is practicable to do so, except

(a) when overtaking and passing a vehicle proceeding in the same direction,

(b) when the right hand half of the roadway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair,

(c) on a highway designated and marked by signs for one way traffic,

(d) if necessary when operating snow removing equipment, or

(e) if

(i) the movement of a vehicle, or combination of vehicles, is permitted by and is done in conformity with the terms of the oversize permit issued under the Commercial Transport Act, and

(ii) the width of a vehicle, or combination of vehicles, or the width of a load on the vehicle makes the operation of the vehicle or combination of vehicles on the right hand half of the roadway unsafe.

(2) The driver of a vehicle proceeding at less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing must drive the vehicle in the right hand lane then available for traffic, or as closely as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing a vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when preparing for a left hand turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) The driver of a vehicle passing around a rotary traffic island must drive the vehicle to the right of the island.
It doesn't matter if it's a highway, regular city street, gravel dirt road, alleys, even in your local mall or airports ESCALATORS! if you're going slow or not moving, move to the right. Notice how we have parked cars on the right side of the road on 2way streets? Notice how cyclists stay on the right side unless they have to turn left? God.. I can't believe there were some left lane blocking supporters in the previous 2 threads
Advertisement

Last edited by BNR32_Coupe; 06-25-2009 at 12:05 AM.
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I just hate anyone that doesnt pay attention when they're driving, doesnt matter what lane they're in.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
95% of the lane blockers don't realize they are being tailgated... so although I absolutely agree with the OP, this isn't going to solve anything.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
*sigh

It's just a matter of courtesy. You can do the speed limit on the fast lane if you want. Just be courteous and move over when someone is behind you and looking to pass.

Either change lane quickly or speed up a little until it's safe to make a lane change.

That's all. Courtesy & Common Sense.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

this needs to be stickied to every board in BC. also on the front page for every newspaper so people can learn to pay attention and stop driving slow in the left lane.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

^^agreed
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
*sigh

It's just a matter of courtesy. You can do the speed limit on the fast lane if you want. Just be courteous and move over when someone is behind you and looking to pass.

Either change lane quickly or speed up a little until it's safe to make a lane change.

That's all. Courtesy & Common Sense.
Yeah umm.. you can put it lightly like that.. or you can be like "GTFO of the way SLOW SHIT!"

either way, they won't get the message, i just hope a few members on this board will. flashing highbeams doesnt seem to work either.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I'm an advocate of "GETFO of the SLOW SHIT!" but I was talking with my buddy, and he brought the opposite pov:

POSTED LIMIT = 50, so, If Bob is driving 50 he is technically going the speed limit. Therefore, he has the right to be on the left lane. Since POSTED LIMIT does not say "Flow of Traffic/hr". BOB is in the right to drive 50 on the left lane.

What do you guys think of that?

I would tail Bob, until he moves to the right so I can be on on my way, but my buddy made me think, and now I'm more understanding of "Slow" drivers.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
You guys do realize that tailgating is an actual offense right..?

Besides, if the driver in front of you is dumb enough to not know the "keep to the right if you're going slow rule", do you really think the person is going to be the type to realize you're tailgating? Not to mention that if this person slams on the brakes, who do you think will be at fault? Oh and do you think that this is the type of person that is looking for a free lunch with injury?

I think so.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I'm an advocate of "GETFO of the SLOW SHIT!" but I was talking with my buddy, and he brought the opposite pov:

POSTED LIMIT = 50, so, If Bob is driving 50 he is technically going the speed limit. Therefore, he has the right to be on the left lane. Since POSTED LIMIT does not say "Flow of Traffic/hr". BOB is in the right to drive 50 on the left lane.

What do you guys think of that?

I would tail Bob, until he moves to the right so I can be on on my way, but my buddy made me think, and now I'm more understanding of "Slow" drivers.
Your buddy is wrong, and he's the type of person im trying to reach across with this thread. There should be no reason to slow down another person. Even if you're already breaking the law and going 60 in the left lane, if buddy wants to go 80, you must move over to let him pass. No exceptions to slowing down society, except when you have to turn left,etc. There's a thread on this in the police forum already, and the even the police agree
Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe View Post
Your buddy is wrong, and he's the type of person im trying to reach across with this thread. There should be no reason to slow down another person. Even if you're already breaking the law and going 60 in the left lane, if buddy wants to go 80, you must move over to let him pass. No exceptions to slowing down society, except when you have to turn left,etc. There's a thread on this in the police forum already, and the even the police agree
This is true. If someone really wants to break the law like that, there isn't really anyone to spot that person. If you are going slower or at traffic keep right. Left lane is for passing cars that are going faster. Though his might mean breaking the law, it is the decision of the person to make for themselves. If they want to get a speeding ticket, you shouldn't be the one to prevent them.

And you never want to put yourself in a position where the aggressive driver targets you instead of just himself/herself.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I'm ok with city streets, but on the highway the left lane shouldn't really be clogged up with slow drivers.

I wish they would ticket people for blocking those who want to pass.

Even better, they should make the left lanes 20km/hr faster than the right.

so for those who want to drive 80km stay right, and those driving 100km can use the left lane.
Drift_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

this morning on hwy 1 eastbound, i passed about 25 cars that were going 75km in the left lane while i was going 100km on the right lane which was left completely wide open lol.

that should NOT have happened the way it did. fuck stupid drivers.
feelthesunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I've always stated that if you get passed on the right.. your in the wrong fucking lane. If you ever see a car moving faster than you on your right... move over cuz your holding up traffic.

Berz out.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
i remember during my class 7 test, i had to drive on the left lane and slow down traffic with people honking me lol

but still people on the left lane going as fast as the people on the right lane pisses me off
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

How about this: left lane blocking slows the flow of all traffic behind. If emergency vehicles need to respond quickly, they may not be able to because of congested traffic. So keep your ass to the right.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #17
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Highways

Speedsters on the Left. (even if you are speeding 50km over) eg Auto Bahn.

Slow asses on the right. ( when you are not passing and just cruising at speed limit)

The city needs to advertise this shit all over the roads and TV.
Drift_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

I hate it when the person in the left lane is on the phone or something and I have to move to the right to pass and as I pass they give you the deer in headlights look with a cell phone to their ear and mouth wide open as something is shocking that they are being passed on the wrong lane

MY FEEDBACK
jimzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
ugh, when i travel to the states it always states slower traffic keep to the right. We have a choice to speed or go above the posted limit, we are actually encouraged to in society they need speeders because its a blatent tax on people.

In the states they have signs on the road that say something along the lines of "5 cars pull over in passing zone"

I speed, but I can't stand people who drive side by side going the same speed in the city. It makes me want to gouge my fucking eyes out with a rusty spoon.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #20
Banned (BBM)

Yes I agree that you shouldn't block the left lane on the highway or in the city. But I disagree that you(woob thinks this, but you and some others seem to imply this too) somehow think that if one guy wants to go 80 while "flow" is 60-70, EVERYONE should move over thus creating a "merge point" at every single block. Let's face it, after the 20 cars move(haha funny idealistic concept) and the slow lane slows to a crawl, that speeder going 80 (already WAY TOO FAST in the CITY) now catches up with traffic stopped at the light up ahead (+ more because cross streets will always dump more traffic onto your street so it never ends), and now another merge point commences up ahead.

This is YOUR idea of traffic? Give me a fuckin break.

If there's LITTLE traffic, then YES use the left lane to pass, do whatever. But if there's flow and everyone's doing above the limit ALREADY, there comes a point where you should realize that the guy who wants to go 80 is IN THE WRONG. Not the 50+ "left lane blockers" up ahead.

Know what else is funny? That website is written by Skidmark and all I totally respect that but look it says:

Quote:
If you are driving in the left hand lane and you are driving at a speed less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing, you must drive in the right hand lane. It is important to note that the words speed limit do not appear anywhere in the last sentence. If you are slower, move over. If you choose not to, you are at risk of being ticketed for failing to keep to the right.
So if the flow is 60-70, what makes that guy who wants to do 80 the "normal speed of traffic" ?
You have a point if you just said "don't drive the limit in the left lane when flow is 60-70". But instead you and the other few supporters of aggressive driving, expect everyone to move over when flow is already 60-70 because of ONE guy going 80 (who btw won't get anywhere any faster due to traffic lights, left turners, and simply TRAFFIC - but this isn't my point).
vna888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
^shutup you dumb troll, you are a dangerous driver and I'd beat the fuck out of you in rl.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #22
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_Monkey View Post
Highways

Speedsters on the Left. (even if you are speeding 50km over) eg Auto Bahn.

Slow asses on the right. ( when you are not passing and just cruising at speed limit)

The city needs to advertise this shit all over the roads and TV.
Yes the City needs to ADVERTISE THIS about highway driving.
What they should advertise is that on the highway, keep right except to pass (maybe have "Keep Right Except to Pass" signs).
On city streets, particularly metropolitan areas, if and ONLY if traffic volume permits this, KEEP RIGHT except to pass (or turn left w/e). But that this isn't feasible all the time due to traffic volume.
And no trying go faster than the flow just because you think you're fuckin god.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #23
Banned (BBM)

*edit* see later posts
some people can't read

Last edited by vna888; 06-24-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #24
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vna888 View Post

Your e-penis sure grew another inch right when you posted that.

Funny how the guy going with the flow is the dangerous driver, but the idiot who wants to go 10km FASTER than the flow and get everyone to move out of his way, ISNT the dangerous driver? Not to mention this is in the fuckin CITY.
Well, if he backs off from meeting you IRL, then yes, he is an e-thugger. But if you and him actually meet and he kicks your ass. Not so much.

Making a rebuttal like that is only trying to grow your own e-penis. Why not man up and kick his ass IRL? You know, since you're acting like you can defend yourself, I don't see a reason not to.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #25
Banned (BBM)

lol that's funny.
"wtf happened? Oh we had a fight on the internet and it led to this...."