REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #426
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I've been going to Nabil for about 8 years now, and he does an amazing job with fades. He charges $20 for a cut, I tip an extra $5. Check him out:

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/nabils-barber-shop-vancouver
Advertisement
franco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #427
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Revival of thread here need some insight.

In the last few months I started growing out my hair, previously just had a typical short hair asian style nothing special and went to your typical $12-$15 chinese lady places. Great lady and all but now that I've been growing my hair and doing the slick back style kind of hair I need and or want a "proper" hair cut.

I don't know shit, I've always used these hairdressers my entire life as I've never had any hair style worth investing money into except now. I don't feel her skills are cutting it for what I'm doing right now, some weeks it looks good some weeks it looks bad.

Here's what I'm looking for

- Located in Van, no downtown preferably east side but willing to listen
- No more than $30 all in tip included, lower the better but I know you gotta pay if you want quality so I'm realistic about it too
- Experience with asian hair I suppose an asset?
- style i'm going for is the slick back style, quiff, pompadour ish I guess?
- no long ass waits or ability to book a time an asset as well

Thanks!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:08 PM   #428
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post

In the last few months I started growing out my hair, previously just had a typical short hair asian style nothing special and went to your typical $12-$15 chinese lady places. Great lady and all but now that I've been growing my hair and doing the slick back style kind of hair I need and or want a "proper" hair cut.

I don't know shit, I've always used these hairdressers my entire life as I've never had any hair style worth investing money into except now. I don't feel her skills are cutting it for what I'm doing right now, some weeks it looks good some weeks it looks bad.

- No more than $30 all in tip included, lower the better but I know you gotta pay if you want quality so I'm realistic about it too

Thanks!
After buzzing my own hair for almost a decade, I decided to grow it out last year. The idea of paying somebody to cut my hair was always lost on me-- I was very used to shaving my own head and didn't value a haircut at any more than $20.

One day I decided to give it a shot and pay up for a haircut. Man Cave Barber Shop at Metrotown was my recommended place. They charge $20 (without tip). They definitely get the job done, but the skill levels of each of their barbers varies; I'd ask for a specific style and would get different results each time, with different barbers. It took me a few months to find the right barber to style my hair, but their services just didn't cut it for me.

Fast forward to this summer, I found the WSDM Club Barber Shop on Hastings. They've been open for about a year and it's run by a good group of kids. The atmosphere is very 'barber shop' and each of their barbers are very skilled. I comb my hair over and get a nice skin fade; the guys at this shop are top notch and take their time-- what they do to your damn head is straight up art.
The guy I go to specifically has actually been working with my hair to grow out certain sections and whatnot to get me the style I want in the future.
All the barbers I've seen at this joint are Asian, and a lot of their clientele are Asian as well, so they definitely know how to handle and style our hair.

TL;DR: WSDM charges $36 (without tip) but for someone like me who didn't pay for a haircut for about a decade, it's a lot for me to say that it has been worth the investment for me each time. Give em a shot!
FN-2199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:24 PM   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by FN-2199 View Post
After buzzing my own hair for almost a decade, I decided to grow it out last year. The idea of paying somebody to cut my hair was always lost on me-- I was very used to shaving my own head and didn't value a haircut at any more than $20.

One day I decided to give it a shot and pay up for a haircut. Man Cave Barber Shop at Metrotown was my recommended place. They charge $20 (without tip). They definitely get the job done, but the skill levels of each of their barbers varies; I'd ask for a specific style and would get different results each time, with different barbers. It took me a few months to find the right barber to style my hair, but their services just didn't cut it for me.

Fast forward to this summer, I found the WSDM Club Barber Shop on Hastings. They've been open for about a year and it's run by a good group of kids. The atmosphere is very 'barber shop' and each of their barbers are very skilled. I comb my hair over and get a nice skin fade; the guys at this shop are top notch and take their time-- what they do to your damn head is straight up art.
The guy I go to specifically has actually been working with my hair to grow out certain sections and whatnot to get me the style I want in the future.
All the barbers I've seen at this joint are Asian, and a lot of their clientele are Asian as well, so they definitely know how to handle and style our hair.

TL;DR: WSDM charges $36 (without tip) but for someone like me who didn't pay for a haircut for about a decade, it's a lot for me to say that it has been worth the investment for me each time. Give em a shot!
I know of this place. My buddies barber who started out working out of his home opened this shop up but although I agree that sometimes you can't put a price on a great haircut that could make all the difference at $36 before tip is way too steep considering I keep my sides short at a number 0 so I'd going every 2 weeks maybe 3 tops in some cases. Maybe I'm blinded because I've never gotten a "great" haircut and maybe once that happens is be willing, we'll see.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #430
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:

Thanks!
Where did you end up going?

I think I'm in the same boat. Hair is kinda of long. I just want a trim, but figured if it's just a trim, I could cheap out at those 10-15 cut places.

Wouldn't mind seeing what a style could do. Last time I paid 20ish bucks, the cut was disappointing.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #431
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I get my hair cut at this place in Sapperton - Columbia Street. It's a few blocks away from where my mom is staying (care home).

Can't remember the name of the place. It's next to where the old 7-Eleven used to be. 7 bucks. The guy is efficient. Latino, I think. Nice music playing all the time. I'm happy with the results. I just give him ten bucks and I'm good. When the beard needs trimming, it's an extra 5 bucks.

EDIT: Found it.......... Hassan's Haircut Barber and Styling. 451 E. Columbia Street.

Again, for 7 bucks, it's pretty good.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 02-07-2018 at 10:21 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #432
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Farzads. Probably too expensive for most of the people here but we'll worth it if you care about a good fade, and classic cuts.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #433
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I need to find me a good barber, I've been growing a beard since Oct and I have only lined it up with zero trimming. It's starting to get out of control lol
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #434
easy e

Masterfade, border of NW and Burnaby. $17, + $5 tip.

I went once, got a regular cut no fade. I saw others that got really nice skin fade. They have three chairs and barbers. I got cut by the lady, positive experience. I would go back and try a skin fade for the summer.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #435
easy e

P.s. skin fades aren't for everyone. I admire those that have a round head. Litbarbers on instagram has some cool posts. I always wanted a similar look but was gifted with a boxy head..
Old 02-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Where did you end up going?

I think I'm in the same boat. Hair is kinda of long. I just want a trim, but figured if it's just a trim, I could cheap out at those 10-15 cut places.

Wouldn't mind seeing what a style could do. Last time I paid 20ish bucks, the cut was disappointing.
LOL funny enough I took the plunge and went to WSDM and within 5 mins I knew exactly why it was $35. Have not looked back since I'm super happy now. The price is a complete afterthought.

My main guy is Red (Alfred) and he's great. I've also had Reign cut my hair once because Red had an emergency and he was fantastic too. They have a new guy I think his name is Mike, I believe he's $10 cheaper than the rest but his skill level will be lower too of course.

Last edited by winson604; 02-08-2018 at 11:38 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #437
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Reviving. Any recommendations near North Road/Coquitlam? Budget ~$20. Easy fade and combover
Cr33pUh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #438
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I've been going to Royal Oak Barbers on Kingsway, most of the guys there do a pretty good job, only $14 a cut.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #439
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Air plus hair salon in metropolis not bad
bmcmking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #440
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Bump! Any recommended place in Richmond or just over the bridge into Vancouver?
Old 03-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #441
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Alan’s golden scissors in Steveston. All the guys there are great! There’s a woman as well but I’ve always avoided her. Maybe I’m the only one but I like a man cutting my hair
Old 03-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #442
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
I go to Liminal Grooming Lounge on Brunette. Their barbers range from $25-35 (before tips) but the quality and consistency is unmatched anywhere else. I mostly get my cuts from the owner, Evan. The moment you get a cut from him, you'll understand why. He's won countless awards for best fade. That being said, his other barbers are all excellent as well. They are by appointment only, so you'll have to book on their website before going in.

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #443
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,682 Times in 3,121 Posts
i just go to this place in lansdown center. I think its called angels and heroes (LOL) and its 20 bucks. old lady with frizzy hair (looks a bit like a faye wong) is great along with a middle age chinese dude named uhhhh... william i think?
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:24 PM   #444
HELP ME PLS!!!

Power Hair.
been going for 10+ years, just off the science world station.

https://www.google.com/search?source...4d2ea2d47888,1,,,
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:23 AM   #445
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
LOL funny enough I took the plunge and went to WSDM and within 5 mins I knew exactly why it was $35. Have not looked back since I'm super happy now. The price is a complete afterthought.

My main guy is Red (Alfred) and he's great. I've also had Reign cut my hair once because Red had an emergency and he was fantastic too. They have a new guy I think his name is Mike, I believe he's $10 cheaper than the rest but his skill level will be lower too of course.
A late response, but I'm glad you checked them out!
I was exactly like you-- didn't realize what good cut was until 5 minutes into sitting in their chair!

I've since given my business to a barber that branched off from WSDM, but Reign and Red are my go to barbers whenever I go there.
FN-2199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:06 PM   #446
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

So now that the gov has shut down all hairdressers, what are you guys doing about your hair? Cutting it yourself? Asking wife/gf to cut it?
Blah_Teggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:22 PM   #447
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I cut my own. It's easy for me. 1/4 inch all around. The neck hairs need to be shaven, but whatever. Thinking of trimming the beard. Way too long. I let it go to 14 inches at one point. Windy days were a challenge. Now it's at 8 inches............ I might just lop it off altogether. Not N95 mask friendly.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:28 PM   #448
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie View Post
So now that the gov has shut down all hairdressers, what are you guys doing about your hair? Cutting it yourself? Asking wife/gf to cut it?
Just letting it run its course. Everyone is going to look all sorts of disheveled once this is all said and done.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #449
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie View Post
yup, when they started soft shut down and business were going to close... got some clippers and asked my bro to help.

if you have kids... you'll be happy you invested and start clipping their hair.

started to trim my dad's hair... falk, what does he care, he's 67 and 1/2 bald... then he practiced on me with my bro... vice versa. guys with fades are easier, just use # 2 first and then move to #1.. can't go wrong... gf can shave all day long. You ain't going to be k-pop star anytime soon... but hey... who is at this COVID19 times.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:29 AM   #450
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Started cutting my own (aka. getting the gf to do it) last year and it's been great. Save $30+ each time and no appointments required.

She's happy to do it fortunately so I'm not out $60+ for having to take her out for dinner in return