REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #101
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Here you go...

http://bit.ly/1l5NLds
Advertisement
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #102
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
Google is pretty accurate.

I think it took about 5 hours from the border to Portland non-stop last time I went.

Factor in your house to border, and border wait times.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #103
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Just got back from Portland. Drive is about 5.5 hours if you take I-5. Consider the traffic through Seattle if you're travelling through rush hour.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #104
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
RS never disappoints! So far I've used RS for most of my planning to many places (Hawaii, Seattle, New York) and many of the foodie spots you guys have recommended have been just as if not BETTER than those "Top 10" lists on Yelp and other websites.

I will be heading to Portland for the first time next month for 3 days to watch a real NBA game for the first time. (The Raptors pre-season exhibition doesn't count lol)

I've read through this entire thread already, got a list of places to hit up from all your input.

I've got down these as must try:
Pok Pok
Podnah's
Kenny & Zuke

Will probably stop at Serious Pie in Seattle or Maggiano's in Bellevue for lunch on the way down.
I've heard many things about Portland food carts but most of you don't seem too impressed lol, is there a "best" food cart to try?

Too bad I will only be IN Portland for roughly 2 days so there's limited space for my stomach haha.
Will definitely do a brewery crawl as well, if I survive.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:47 PM   #105
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Screen Door for their southern fried chicken
Pine St. Biscuits for their biscuits (obviously lol)

Glad to see you're checking out Kenny & Zuke's! Their pastrami reuben was soooooooo damn good!
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2015, 12:56 AM   #106
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
RS never disappoints! So far I've used RS for most of my planning to many places (Hawaii, Seattle, New York) and many of the foodie spots you guys have recommended have been just as if not BETTER than those "Top 10" lists on Yelp and other websites.

I will be heading to Portland for the first time next month for 3 days to watch a real NBA game for the first time. (The Raptors pre-season exhibition doesn't count lol)

I've read through this entire thread already, got a list of places to hit up from all your input.

Pok Pok
Podnah's
Kenny & Zuke

Will probably stop at Serious Pie in Seattle or Maggiano's in Bellevue for lunch on the way down.
I've heard many things about Portland food carts but most of you don't seem too impressed lol, is there a "best" food cart to try?

Too bad I will only be IN Portland for roughly 2 days so there's limited space for my stomach haha.
they literally have a food cart square (4 blocks long)
my girl and i had food from Nong's Khao Man Gai, and and dump truck, both pretty tasty

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...8.kbMMcAoCM6eQ

pok pok's was really good, portions are big but beware of long lineups if you dont go early (they do takeout though)
Old 10-23-2015, 01:09 AM   #107
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

The food trucks are overrated overall. Expensive and ho hum but there are a ton of them all over the city if you want the novelty.

I really like Cafe Broader and their sister location Broader Nord. Would rather hit up Whiskey Soda Lounge over Poks. Tasty & Sons, Tasty & Alder and Clyde Common are good if you like Tuc Craft here.

Goto Salt & Straw. Vastly superior to Earnst/Rain.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2015, 07:35 AM   #108
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

There is a pizza place called sizzle in downtown portland. It is the best pizza I've ate ever. I highly recommend it and it also opens late.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #109
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
^ food cart was MEH at best. We are just too spoiled in Van.

FYI, for POK POK or any other places, before you go, I would CALL them and make reservations or at least how long your line ups are. THE ONLY way to skip line ups are to go when they OPEN right away or before they close. No different than Van.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #110
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post

Pok Pok
Podnah's
Kenny & Zuke

To echo the post above me, pok pok is jam packed throughout dinner service. We arrived at 5pm and got a table right away, another option is getting take out, which is pretty common with the locals. There's salt and straw ice cream for dessert 2-3 blocks away if you're interested.

I stumbled upon this Vietnamese food cart late at night with my friends as options were limited and I was pleasantly surprised at the Vietnamese sub and salad roll sauce that he seemed to make from scratch while we waited. Sorry I don't have a name for you but it's located in the block with the permanent food trucks lol.
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #111
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post

Glad to see you're checking out Kenny & Zuke's! Their pastrami reuben was soooooooo damn good!
Agreed, Screen Door was amazing. Fluffy waffles and boneless fried chicken breast and a wad of butter and a nice healthy serving of Syrup.

Pok Pok was good. It was super full when we got there but they operate a bar like a block down so we chill there before going to Pok Pok.

I know now never to listen to yelp for ramen places raved by non-asian reviewers and run by non-asians. Went to this ramen place with 4.5 stars. Worst. Ramen. Ever. I won't ever touch Asian specialty foods in the states ever again either.

Ham for Chashu? fucking takoyaki-style tatter totts minus any tako? Fuck. Think of the worst ramen place you can in Vancouver run by chinese people and it would be more legit than ramen down in portland.

Did not try the food carts. Glad I didn't in hindsight. I do not see the appeal of these trucks. Most of the shit they serve are no better than PNE food most of the time and the higher end one like Vij's is overpriced food that falls short of the actual restaurant which isn't amazing to begin with. The worst offender are the Mac and Cheese trucks passing it off as some $10 mac and cheese with a bit of pulled pork on it.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #112
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
Agreed, Screen Door was amazing. Fluffy waffles and boneless fried chicken breast and a wad of butter and a nice healthy serving of Syrup.

Pok Pok was good. It was super full when we got there but they operate a bar like a block down so we chill there before going to Pok Pok.

I know now never to listen to yelp for ramen places raved by non-asian reviewers and run by non-asians. Went to this ramen place with 4.5 stars. Worst. Ramen. Ever. I won't ever touch Asian specialty foods in the states ever again either.
LOL, you do realize Pok Pok is run by a white guy right?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #113
I subscribe to Revscene

^saw a documentary on Andy Ricker (the founder), very inspiring start up story but he seems like a dick lol guy is basically half Thai.

Blue star donuts > Voodoo by a long shot.
My favorite breakfast spot is Gravy, their french toast alone is worth the drive down.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #114
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
bunk .... ( sandwiches )

ITALIAN CURED MEATS - sandwich

RUSSIAN FRIES
w/ Bunk cheese, caramelized onions & russian dressing
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #115
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
good suggestions here, me and the gf planning on going to portland in jan/feb

has anyone taken the Amtrak down from Vancouver central station?

i've heard pretty mixed reviews in terms of the time it actually takes, everyone says it's pretty enjoyable but is it worth it if it takes 8 hours as opposed to the 5 or whatever to drive and have a vehicle there?
Old 10-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
good suggestions here, me and the gf planning on going to portland in jan/feb

has anyone taken the Amtrak down from Vancouver central station?

i've heard pretty mixed reviews in terms of the time it actually takes, everyone says it's pretty enjoyable but is it worth it if it takes 8 hours as opposed to the 5 or whatever to drive and have a vehicle there?
that's gotta be based on the travellers. some folks don't mind "taking it all in" with transit etc

myself i wanna get to where i'm heading too. i would drive every single time if it meant 5 hrs travel and a car as opposed to 8 hr train with no ride after.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:28 PM   #117

to add to this thread. i can confirm this dispensary has top notch flowers. it's across the street from the nike factory outlet

7g's per person max for recreational in oregon. $60/quarter for their top shelf stuff.

Bloom Dispensary Portland
Old 11-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #118
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Just got back from my first ever Portland trip, it was awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Did not have enough time (and metabolism) for K&Z Deli, but I had the Reggie Deluxe (Fried chicken, gravy, bacon, fried egg, more gravy soaked in homemade biscuits) at Pine State and it was awesome, perfect hangover breakfast after we hit up all the brew pubs the night before lol.
The flights of beer were great, a couple of funky disgusting flavours (stay away from Fruitcake stout at Green Dragon lol) but most were freakin' delicious. The Super Dog IPA at Lucky Labrador stood out to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cho View Post
they literally have a food cart square (4 blocks long)
my girl and i had food from Nong's Khao Man Gai, and and dump truck, both pretty tasty
pok pok's was really good, portions are big but beware of long lineups if you dont go early (they do takeout though)
Managed to try NKMG food truck, it was good but nothing worth purposely heading down for. There is slightly better in Vancouver. Mama Lee's on Broadway is one off the top of my head. Also stuffed down a Cod & Chips at Frying Scotsman cart which was super fresh and piping hot.

Pok Pok was amazing, loved the seafood glass noodle, every dish we ordered was excellent and can't wait to go back to try the other dishes! We took our time cruising down to Portland so we got there pretty late when it was almost closing so we only waited 5 minutes for a table.

Stopped for lunch in Seattle at Paseo's for their sandwiches. They were rated very, very highly on Yelp (like Top 10 in North America or something?) so I was super excited to try it but IMHO it was definitely over hyped.

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #119
My homepage has been set to RS

damn..you making me miss portland.

Wish the exchange was better. Agreed that the K&Z special sandwich was rocking.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #120
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
Just came back from Portland too, went and saw Joey Diaz at Helium Nightclub.

My only thing to add to this thread... go to Casa Diablo Strip Club... Went there with my girlfriend and it was INSANE, pussies everywhere, she got molested a fuckload of times by the strippers, the place was like the movie Dawn Til Dusk inside. Honestly, the best stripclub experience I have had in my life, bar none.

And buying and smoking weed everywhere was also pretty cool, considering it's the United States. I'm a huge Portland fan at this point now.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #121

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
My experience in Portland this past weekend:

Friday night:
Went to Pok Pok for dinner. Arrived there at 6pm and it was a 2.5 hour wait! WTF! We decided to wait and walked around the area. There are some unique shops near by and they were open quite late. There is a bar across the street from Pok Pok and apparently they are the same owners. They can check your queue for Pok Pok which was pretty cool. I found the food for Pok Pok was too spicy and salty. The chicken was very salty and all a lot of the flavors for the other dishes were quite similar. For the long wait and pricey food, we all thought it wasn't worth it.

Next, we went to a place called Rum Bar. Everything on their menu is around $10 and are quite unique. They are also very strong... the girls couldn't finish their drinks lol. The atmosphere was really good and its a nice place to chill.

Next, we decided to check out the nightlife in Portland. The scene is not as big as Vancouver but its big enough to block of streets. We went into two clubs. One called The Dirty and another Barrel Room. The dirty was pretty ratchet lol. Poles with girls on it everywhere, a lot of rap and r&b music. I thought the club was a little too "ghetto" for me. Barrel Room had live music and a dance floor. Music was decent..top 40 hits and some EDM. I wouldn't really recommend those two clubs though... but there were others on the street that we didn't check out.

Saturday Morning:

We arrived at Screen Door at 10:30am. There was an hour wait. The food and service there was really good. I ordered the fried chicken waffle. The chicken was good but just a little dry. All the other dishes were very tasty as well.

Next, we went to check out the food trucks. There are many foodtrucks in portland and there are usually in large clusters all over downtown. We went to the one near Target. and there was a whole block full of foodtrucks. The foodtrucks to be honest are not as unique and good as the ones in Vancouver. Nothing looked that appealing and we ended up not ordering anything. You might be a little disappointment if you are comparing it to the ones in Vancouver.

Next we went to Woodburn Outlets. Outlets were good. Nike, adidas, columbia, northface etcetc. It is outdoors like all the other outlets in the states but it is covered.

For dinner, we went to Grassa. It is hand crafted pasta. The restaurant's format is like Fatburger. You order your food at the front entrance. Then you find yourself a spot and the waiters will serve you the food. The pasta was really good and portions were decent. It sort of have a hipster atmosphere to it and the service was great. I highly recommend this place for dinner.

Next we went to an arcade bar called Ground Kontrol. They have many old arcade games including many of the classics like donkey kong, time crisis, ninja turtles etc etc. Upstairs they have like 30 pinball machines. The change machine only accepts $5 and $1 bills. Most games only requires 25 cents or 50 cents per play. There is also a bar there and a seating area for finger food. It was quite packed in there and there was a small line with a $2 cover at 9pm.

Next, we went to check out a cider brewery called Nat Revelend Cider. They have tons of ciders to choose from. They have a 12 flight and it was quite delicious. The seating area is small but it wasnt crowded when we went. I surprisingly got a small buzz after sharing the flight with my friends lol. I highly recommend this place to check out.

Sunday Morning:

We went to Salty's for brunch. It's $44 and on weekends only but its all you can eat fresh seafood. They got dungeness crab, fresh oyster, clams, shrimp, salmon, etc etc etc. There are also breakfast food there too (bacon, hashbrowns) and also meat like prime ribs, ham etc. Food was really good and was quite satisfied. Service was excellent too. Make sure to make reservations.

Then we went home!

We stayed at Best Western by Hayden Meadows just off the highway exit. It is near downtown portland. About 10 min drive to everything. Also there is a walmart 1 min drive from the hotel which was a bonus.

We also used Uber for the first time. It is easy to set up and very very convenient. Way cheaper than a cab and there are many uber drivers in Portland.. even at 3am. If you are planning to drink, leave your car at the hotel and uber everywhere!

If you go to the popular places in Portland, be prepared to be waiting in line for a long time. We walked by voodoo donuts and it was like a 45 min wait at 8pm! Thank goodness it didnt rain when we went but if it did, it would of sucked!
Hope this was helpful for you guys!!

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold

Last edited by gilly; 12-02-2015 at 12:10 PM.
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #122
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

bump

planning on going down in the 2nd week of June.

What is there to do besides shopping? Any recommendations on hotels, locations, etc.

From reading this thread, all I can think of is going to Pokpok, and hitting up
Cannon Beach..
Old 05-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #123
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
woodburn outlets had actual DEALS. worth the extra 20 - 30 minute drive south.

Also, check out Big Al's. Bowling, Arcade, Carnival games and booze. Basically an adult chuck-e-cheese
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #124

seattle was bleh, wouldn't visit again.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #125
I subscribe to Revscene

For those who stayed in hotels downtown portland, what did you do re: parking situation?

me and the fiancee are heading down soon and we normally use the hotel valet, but at $35/day+tip (for in/out) it seems a bit steep.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote