REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #51
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

deleted
Advertisement

Last edited by Gnomes; 07-09-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #52
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

hows the nightlife in portland? recommendation of clubs/bars?
ursher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #53
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Need a hand on Portland hotels, saw the post for the Ramada which we've put into consideration, but a LOT of the other hotels we've been looking at are in VERY shady neighborhoods. Looking for around $120 or less a night.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #54
Not a mod

Subscribed
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #55
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Need a hand on Portland hotels, saw the post for the Ramada which we've put into consideration, but a LOT of the other hotels we've been looking at are in VERY shady neighborhoods. Looking for around $120 or less a night.
Try looking at hotels on the Jensen Beach area, it's about 15 mins away from Downtown Portland.

I booked at the Red Lion hotel, 2 queen size beds for 97 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #56
Fanboy

Quote:
You can stay near the airport for $50 a night using Hotwire.
Regular price is $109 night, try booking Rhodeway inn
invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #57
"Entertainment" mod.

I got 2 rooms at Rodeway for $64 for the night each. Not a terrible location either. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #58
Fanboy

Yea its an excellent deal. Free wifi and breakfast included allthough it between 6-9am and only scrambled eggs and muffins.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #59
I don't get it

Just went to Portland...Aloft by Starwood near the airport and Candlewood Suites are both recommended. I stayed 2 nights at Aloft which is walking distance to Target, BestBuy, Food etc...and in a safe area.

Candlewood suites is sort of out of the way, but new and nice.

Both had free wifi, but only Candlewood suites had continental breakfast.

Candlewood was $95/night and Aloft was roughly $120/night. Both highly recommended.

Also, if you are Portland, definitely goto Andina restaurant. My #2 favourite restaurant in the world.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #60
I don't get it

Candlewood Portland - Portland Hotel - Candlewood Suites Long Term Stay Hotel | Candlewood Suites Hotel in Portland | Best Price Guarantee or First Night Free

Aloft Portland - Hip Hotels - aloft Hotels: Contemporary & Modern Rooms
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #61
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
I got 2 rooms at Rodeway for $64 for the night each. Not a terrible location either. Thanks!

Is the Rodeway inn close to transit by any chance?
vancitylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #62
Fanboy

They have a shuttle service to the airport if thats what you're looking for.
Look it up on their website
invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #63
Not a mod

Just arrived in portland today and spent most of the day in downtown. Ive been pretty disappointed so far. Headed south to Woodburn in the morning. Hopefully find some good deals there.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #64
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

ALoft is the best. Drunken pool with friends and not having to worry about driving. Walk back to your hotel room.

Go to Washington Square. Much more civilized than DT.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #65
"Entertainment" mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancitylove View Post
Is the Rodeway inn close to transit by any chance?
It's in a fairly industrial-looking area next to I-205.

But honestly, I kinda made the mistake of driving DT (never doing it again), and found the area a bit disappointing activity-wise. However, the food carts are good eats. Lloyd Center was a bit of a shithole, and we didn't have time to go to the outlets.

Oh, and nature-type hipster women who look like they don't shower...or shave.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #66
Not a mod

Woodburn outlets have the same shops as Tulalip and the prices and selection are identical. I would much rather stick to Seattle next time around; cheaper hotels, nicer downtown, and located closer.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #67
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCrusher View Post
Woodburn outlets have the same shops as Tulalip and the prices and selection are identical. I would much rather stick to Seattle next time around; cheaper hotels, nicer downtown, and located closer.
This, if i were to do it over again, I would still travel to Portland, but book the hotel in Seattle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #68
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
If you are going all the way to Portland for shopping, do what I used to do.

Book a hotel allowing early check-in, and call to confirm the day you leave. I'd leave at 10~11PM at night (I will explain the time choice in a bit), make my car comfy with a whole bunch of pillows and blankets. My wife usually just sleeps the entire way there. If I get tired, I just stop by one of the rest areas along I-5 and sleep for as long as I think I need. I usually end up arriving PDX around 9~10AM in the morning.

We then grab some awesome breakfasts among the numerous choices in PDX and go to the Hotel for check-in (usually around 11~12). We'd sleep a bit if we feel tired, otherwise, shower/clean up and shop. The next day, we usually just eat eat and eat and leave PDX around 5~6PM (after an early dinner, and grabbing a pastrami sandwich to go) and head straight back. Between gas/pee/food stops, I usually end up arriving at border around 10~12.

I get mad amount of allowances plus choices to bring booze/smoke from the dutyfree shop.

With the 48hr allowance now up to 800, this is no brainer... Assuming a trip for two people and both max'ing out their allowances, tax saving alone covers the gas, hotel... etc. Not to mention the savings if you are a drinker/smoker.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
If you are going all the way to Portland for shopping, do what I used to do.

Book a hotel allowing early check-in, and call to confirm the day you leave. I'd leave at 10~11PM at night (I will explain the time choice in a bit), make my car comfy with a whole bunch of pillows and blankets. My wife usually just sleeps the entire way there. If I get tired, I just stop by one of the rest areas along I-5 and sleep for as long as I think I need. I usually end up arriving PDX around 9~10AM in the morning.

We then grab some awesome breakfasts among the numerous choices in PDX and go to the Hotel for check-in (usually around 11~12). We'd sleep a bit if we feel tired, otherwise, shower/clean up and shop. The next day, we usually just eat eat and eat and leave PDX around 5~6PM (after an early dinner, and grabbing a pastrami sandwich to go) and head straight back. Between gas/pee/food stops, I usually end up arriving at border around 10~12.

I get mad amount of allowances plus choices to bring booze/smoke from the dutyfree shop.

With the 48hr allowance now up to 800, this is no brainer... Assuming a trip for two people and both max'ing out their allowances, tax saving alone covers the gas, hotel... etc. Not to mention the savings if you are a drinker/smoker.
That's too tiring. Here's my plan, similar to yours but more relaxing.

7PM leave Vancouver
9PM eat in Tacoma
1AM arrive in Portland

Sleep in a hotel, usually 3* is only about $40-$50 around PDX area via priceline.

*Insert 1 or 2 days of shopping*

Come back starting at 4PM
Arrive border at 10PM, depending on where you stop for food in Seattle.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
That's too tiring. Here's my plan, similar to yours but more relaxing.

7PM leave Vancouver
9PM eat in Tacoma
1AM arrive in Portland

Sleep in a hotel, usually 3* is only about $40-$50 around PDX area via priceline.

*Insert 1 or 2 days of shopping*

Come back starting at 4PM
Arrive border at 10PM, depending on where you stop for food in Seattle.
It's actually not tiring at all. I would just sleep whenever I felt like (just find the nearest rest area).

The whole idea of doing that is spending the minimum amount of money on hotels while maximizing duty-free allowances.

In the case I suggested above, I spend 1 night at hotels but have allowances for 48hrs.

If you leave any earlier or later, you would have to factor the hotel money in and as someone suggested, it might not be worth the drive down. (if the purpose of going is purely shopping)
Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #71
Not a mod

Hehe, your talking about maxing your 48 hr personal exemption which is $800 per person yet not willing to spend an extra $60 for an extra night in a hotel ?!?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #72

If that's the case, I would just buy everything online and ship it to PR for pick up in increments. It takes about 1.5-2 tanks if gas to get there back.

It works for you, that's great. But for me I'd see it very tiring to sleep in a car in rest areas.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #73
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
planning to head down to portland next long weekend with a stay over at seattle, and 2 nights in portland

heres my plan
leave friday prob arnd 6pm
prob be at seattle arnd 8/9pm?
check in (need hotel recommendations)
grab some food (need recommendations)
check out some night views(kerry park was recommended) and pike market area during night time
next morning check out pike market again when its open, space needle, pioneer square, dono what else to do, need recommendations
start heading to portland around 2 or 3pm?
check into aloft for 2 nights
need some suggestions to go and visit and eat
stay over at aloft
go shopping (need suggestions)
stay over at aloft
next day check out
grab a bite somewhere
drive back home from portland

food that i will definitely check out r cheese cake factory and in n out burger, but i dont know what else is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.

Last edited by TOPEC; 07-12-2012 at 08:53 PM.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #74

I dont think theres any in n out burger in Portland... Please prove me wrong s:
Old 07-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCrusher View Post
Hehe, your talking about maxing your 48 hr personal exemption which is $800 per person yet not willing to spend an extra $60 for an extra night in a hotel ?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
If that's the case, I would just buy everything online and ship it to PR for pick up in increments. It takes about 1.5-2 tanks if gas to get there back.

It works for you, that's great. But for me I'd see it very tiring to sleep in a car in rest areas.
The idea about my travel plans was maximizing the exemption allowance by minimizing the cost.

If one were to travel to Portland with shopping specifically in mind, why waste the 12hrs one would spend on the trip if the person can't save much money at all?