REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #776
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
A good video about Vancouver way back in the 1930s.

-video shows the downtown area around Georgia and Granville:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/v...ver-bc-2729653
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #777
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
Horseshoe Bay 1918

^ Oh wow, are those the fast ferries we spent a bunch of money on?

Speaking of Fast Ferries, its already been 25 years...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...wake-1.5186615
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #778
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,104 Times in 974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Is this store still around? I remember going there as a kid and looking at all the gross stuff at the back
Old 10-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #779
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
You didn’t want a pocket pussy?
Old 12-17-2020, 01:28 AM   #780
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Part of BC history that I had no clue about (seems like a good place to post it) apparently in the 1700/1800s thousands of hawaiians immigrated to the gulf islands, they were called Kanakas (meaning 'Person' in hawaiian)

BBC article about it
BBC - Travel - The forgotten Hawaiian islands in Canada
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:20 PM   #781
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,280 Times in 1,968 Posts

The intersection of Lougheed & Barnet Hwys. I can't remember the exact year but I think it's late 70s.

When I was a kid, I had a friend who lived up on the Plateau well before it was colonized by another country. It was cool seeing some of the OG homes up there.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #782
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2021, 06:53 AM   #783
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/v...rY5sU_zbGkFC54
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #784

This might be a shot in the dark - does anyone remember the giant Skytrain bridge mural in Guildford Town Center that they had in the 80's and 90's prior to the renovation of the mall?

Nobody in my family remembers, and I have never been able to find an image of it online. It was huge, right above the old food court. I loved looking at it every time I went there!
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #785

Where above the food court like back in the main section of the mall by where San Fran was?
Old 02-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #786

Yah exactly! I think it was the 2nd floor hallway where London Drugs still is.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:16 PM   #787

Hmm I’m trying to remember but don’t recall..
Old 03-16-2021, 06:17 AM   #788
ESKETIT

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/v...EXSBHlq0ewu76k

https://www.vmcdn.ca/files/via/files...edium=referral

Neighbourhood Historical Information
Street and place names:
East 34th Avenue – In South Vancouver was originally Bodwell Road prior to 1910. South
Vancouver By-law 141, 1910 changed Bodwell Road to East 35th Avenue east of Cambie
Street. Then in 1929, after amalgamation, East 35th Avenue became East 34th Avenue.
Nanaimo Street – Shown on Plan 100, a resurvey of Hastings Townsite in 1906, and
named after the provincial government after the Nanaimo Mining Division. Nanaimo Street
was Vancouver’s eastern boundary from 1886 until 1910, when the sparsely settled
Hastings Townsite to the east voted to amalgamate with it. The jogs in the east-west roads
north of First Avenue (an area settled by the time of the amalgamation) reflect the different
surveys on either side of the old boundary line. Vancouver’s southern boundary was at
16th Avenue until 1929, where it abutted the municipalities of South Vancouver and Point
Grey.
Kingsway - Originally a foot trail for local First Nations, it then became a wagon road in
the mid-19th century. Stretching diagonally from Vancouver’s Main Street just south of East
7th Avenue and becoming 12th Street at the Burnaby-New Westminster border, Kingsway
is a living part of our region’s history and cultural fabric.
It was named after Kingsway, a thoroughfare in London, England. Completed in 1906 and
named in honour of King Edward VII. Vancouver By- law 1114, 1913 (covering the
distance between Main and Knight Streets), and South Vancouver By-law 197, 1913
(covering the distance from Knight Street to Boundary Road), changed Westminster Road to
Kingsway.
In 1911, Vancouver By-law 842 changed New Westminster Road to Westminster Road.
There was no comparable South Vancouver By-law. The Granville and New Westminster
Road, shown on Plan 187 (1885), was the popular name for the trail slashed between New
Westminster and the Granville Townsite. This trail was also known as the False Creek Trail,
constructed in 1860 on the recommendation of Colonel Moody, to link New Westminster
with the government reserve on English Bay.
Westminster Road became the auto route heading south once the Fraser River was bridged
at New Westminster in 1904. Nine years later Westminster Road was widened and paved
with asphalt. Vancouver City Council celebrated by changing the name to Kingsway. On
the improved route’s opening in October 1913, some 600 cars paraded four abreast along
Kingsway’s pockets of settlement amidst farms and empty lots to a celebration at Central
Park in Burnaby.
The booming 1920s made it possible for more and more families to afford an automobile
and thereby holiday trips no longer dependent on public transportation. Together with gas
stations, garages, and cafes, Kingsway acquired its first auto camps.
Determination grew to widen Kingsway to three lanes in each direction. No sooner had the
cost of the 1913 improvements been repaid in 1925, the talk began. Some work was
completed during the early 1930s, but it took until the end of the Second World War for
2308 East 34th Ave. Historical Research Summary
Prepared by Christine Hagemoen, July 2020
the project to get underway and until 1949 for it to be completed. By then Kingsway was
the main arterial highway not only heading south but also east along the new TransCanada Highway. Kingsway was re-opened as a six-lane highway between Vancouver and
New Westminster In 1949. It was described as ‘strikingly handsome’ in the newspapers.
However, the future so optimistically envisioned for Kingsway was not to be. Across North
America, the first generation of roads was mostly bypassed by extensive highway
construction beginning in the 1950s.
Source: “Street Names of Vancouver” (1990) by Elizabeth Walker;
https://2400motel.com/car-culture/ ; Birmingham & Wood Architects Planners “2400 Motel
Statement of Significance for The City of Vancouver” January 2007;
https://www.vancouverheritagefoundat...r-ofvancouver/
Significant historic buildings/businesses in the surrounding neighbourhood:
2400 Motel – 2400 Kingsway –constructed in 1946 just north of 33rd Avenue between
Nanaimo and Slocan. Its original name of 2400 Court signaled the growing sophistication
of accommodations. Auto camps were giving way to auto courts, which offered a common
open space, or ‘court,’ fronting furnished bungalows with kitchenettes. A large blue and
red neon sign greeted travelers as they crested the hill to 2400 and viewed Vancouver in
the distance. Car culture was at its height, and a future filled with tourists appeared to be
assured. The buoyant postwar economy permitted more and more families not only to own
cars but to afford the leisure they facilitated. The 2400 Motel was one of the first drive-in
motels in the area, and is now the last.
Source: https://2400motel.com/car-culture/ ; Birmingham & Wood Architects Planners
“2400 Motel Statement of Significance for The City of Vancouver” January 2007.
John Norquay School - 4710 Slocan St & Annex (B) – 5330 Nanaimo Street – 1913 –
present. Named for John Norquay (1841-1889), the first Premier of Manitoba. Originally
built in the Municipality of South Vancouver. "The school, opened in August 1913 under
the principalship of Mr. J. A. Hamilton previously in charge of Brock School, consisted of
four divisions, a fifth division being added during the term." By the 1919-1920 school year,
the enrollment had risen to 344 students. The first Norquay Annex (A) opened at 3323
Slocan Street in 1928 until 1955. In 1959, Norquay Annex (B) opened at 5330 Nanaimo
Street at E. 37th Avenue, which was replaced by Cunningham Elementary School in 1966.
George T. Cunningham Elementary School - 2330 East 37th Avenue - 1966 – present.
Named for George T. Cunningham (1889-1965), Vancouver politician and founder of
Cunningham Drug Stores Ltd. (now Shoppers Drug Mart). Replaced Norquay Annex (B).
Old 03-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #789
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
This might be a shot in the dark - does anyone remember the giant Skytrain bridge mural in Guildford Town Center that they had in the 80's and 90's prior to the renovation of the mall?

Nobody in my family remembers, and I have never been able to find an image of it online. It was huge, right above the old food court. I loved looking at it every time I went there!
I remember it. I think it was the view of someone standing on the Alex Fraser Bridge, looking at the Putullo/SkyTrain, and then you could see the old Port Mann off in the distance. Totally forgot about it till you mentioned it but I always looked at it as a kid
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #790

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I remember it. I think it was the view of someone standing on the Alex Fraser Bridge, looking at the Putullo/SkyTrain, and then you could see the old Port Mann off in the distance. Totally forgot about it till you mentioned it but I always looked at it as a kid
Yes, that is right! The view was looking down the Fraser River, and I remember that the SkyTrain and Pattullo bridges were in the foreground.

I'm glad someone else remembers it. I wonder if I contacted the mall owners if they would have any historic photos of it.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:07 AM   #791
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,104 Times in 974 Posts
Vancouver Technical Secondary 1916-

https://blogs.vsb.bc.ca/heritage/arc...ver-technical/
Old 04-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #792
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/v...couver-3663450

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2021, 10:29 PM   #793
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
That's a great story about the history of this bakery sign.

I wonder if there is any chance that this sign will be preserved?
Old 04-24-2021, 10:32 PM   #794

I’m tempted to go there and cut out a section if it’s just gonna Be scrapped
Old 04-25-2021, 07:53 AM   #795
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
Vancouver Technical Secondary 1916
Does anybody know what that chimney stack at the back of the school is? I don't recall if it still exists or not.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:51 AM   #796
ESKETIT

Google Earth launches time lapse feature so you can watch Vancouver grow from 1984 to 2020

https://earth.google.com/web/data=Cj...ver+is+awesome

A new feature of Google Earth allows a little bit of time travel.

The interactive map now has a timelapse feature, allowing people to see what cities looked like (from the perspective of a satellite) each year from 1984 to 2020. Users can watch neighbourhoods grow, logging and buildings like Rogers Arena appear.

Google took 24 million satellite photos and stitched them together to create the ever-changing map. It can switch between 2D and 3D mode as well, which creates an interesting viewing experience.

Now anyone can watch time unfold and witness nearly four decades of planetary change," states Rebecca Moore, the director of Google Earth, Earth Engine & Outreach. "Our planet has seen rapid environmental change in the past half-century — more than any other point in human history."
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #797

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Does anybody know what that chimney stack at the back of the school is? I don't recall if it still exists or not.
This got me curious. It's been over 25 years since I graduated from there but it looks like over the past years they've done a lot of renos to the school. The mechanic shop used to be on the east side of the school with the garage bays opening to the south but now they've moved it to the Flex building and the bays open to the east.
Looks like the smoke stack is still there.

They've removed the gravel field and added in another grass field.

The portables at the back is gone.

But from the overhead view, the smoke stack is still there.

No idea what it was used for.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2021, 12:04 PM   #798
RS Veteran

Damn, son. 25 years haha (But still young at heart!)

I never had any friends growing up in high school who went to Van Tech, although to be fair, I went to Britannia and anyone who went to Van Tech that we knew was likely kicked out and transferred there and so it did not garner the best reputation hahaha

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 04-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #799

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Damn, son. 25 years haha (But still young at heart!)

I never had any friends growing up in high school who went to Van Tech, although to be fair, I went to Britannia and anyone who went to Van Tech that we knew was likely kicked out and transferred there and so it did not garner the best reputation hahaha
Haha, yeah when I was there, things had gotten a lot better.
Terry Driver was grad 86, so I missed him by a bit.

I remember a few guys who got kicked out in grades 8 or 9 but after that ever guy was there till grad. I think a few girls got burnt out and something happened and didn't graduate till a few years later. I know 2 girls ended up being strippers.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 04-27-2021, 05:12 AM   #800
RS Veteran

lol did you ever end up seeing them in action?