REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #26
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Please have DRLs. I don't want to hit you, and I don't want you to hit me.
So every car made before 1992 or whatever year they became mandatory is out to hit you and you will hit them? LOL

Not saying they don't make things MORE visible, but your argument is kind of missing its point considering a HUGE percentage of cars do not have them at all.

You know what should be banned? All the cars (I notice HONDA'S in particular suffer from this) who light the entire dash up when the headlights aren't on!!! That's just stupid! I've lost count how many times I've been out at night and seen some Honda Accord or whatever else cruising around with no tail-lights on because they think their headlights are on because the guage cluster is fully illuminated... even my wife's Honda Fit Sport does this. I can't even begin to think of the reason they wired it that way.
Advertisement
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #27
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ctr.ek9 View Post
i do 1 click too when i know daylight is shitty; whether it be fog/cloudy day/early morning. it's not rocket science to know when to fully turn your headlights on

fyi, i don't use the DRL's on my car. the bulbs are there w/o any wiring hooking it up :P
that's exactly what i did before, i just took the fuse out for my drl
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #28
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Actually DRL's also help determine whether a car is turned on or not. So say for example you're driving on a single lane road and you want to overtake the car in front of you. You choose to turn into the lane heading in the opposite direction to overtake this person ahead of you. Now imagine seeing a car up ahead without their DRL's turned on.

Is it moving towards you or is it parked?

Now some people would think that its parked and continue to proceed into the other lane to overtake the car. At the point they would crash into a dumb ass such as yourself who chose to turn off his DRL's because he "wanted to be cool".

So you're actually endangering the lives of other drivers when you deactivate them off.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #29
GC8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,146 Times in 121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
So every car made before 1992 or whatever year they became mandatory is out to hit you and you will hit them? LOL

Not saying they don't make things MORE visible, but your argument is kind of.... well.... I won't say it
well technically he has the DRL so only thing that could happen is him hitting the car without DRL
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #30
GC8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,146 Times in 121 Posts
Quote:

Not saying they don't make things MORE visible, but your argument is kind of missing its point considering a HUGE percentage of cars do not have them at all.

You know what should be banned? All the cars (I notice HONDA'S in particular suffer from this) who light the entire dash up when the headlights aren't on!!! That's just stupid! I've lost count how many times I've been out at night and seen some Honda Accord or whatever else cruising around with no tail-lights on because they think their headlights are on because the guage cluster is fully illuminated... even my wife's Honda Fit Sport does this. I can't even begin to think of the reason they wired it that way.
this is on most new cars... the reason the dash light i son and it usual brighter is so it can compete with the sun. during the day you pupil are smaller so u need the extra light to see the dash. I find it stupid that some people who think its cool and have the dash light on the brightest at night... you will just strain you eyes
if you havent noticed when you turn on your headlights the dash should dim! to make it easier on your eyes at night
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #31
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Actually DRL's also help determine whether a car is turned on or not. So say for example you're driving on a single lane road and you want to overtake the car in front of you. You choose to turn into the lane heading in the opposite direction to overtake this person ahead of you. Now imagine seeing a car up ahead without their DRL's turned on.

Now some people would think that its parked and continue to proceed into the other lane to overtake the car. At the point they would crash into a dumb ass such as yourself who chose to turn off his DRL's because he "wanted to be cool".

So you're actually endangering the lives of other drivers when you deactivate them off.
So what if the dumbass forgot to turn off his headlights? Will that prevent you from over taking the other car?

Also, can you name a road in Vancovuer where you will be over taking another car, and have cars parked on the side of the road where they are close enough to be in the lane and you cannot tell if there is a driver or not? It is a far stretch for you example to be valid.

The honest truth is that there is no harm to have DRL's on in the day. Sure, there might be some premature wear on the lights, but bulbs cost what $1 or 2 each, unless you have those PIAA bulbs. But what is $80 over 3 or 5 years for a set of bulbs?

But don't fool yourself in thinking DRL's are the end all to human mistakes/stupidity.

NNS, if you don't want me to hit you with my car, then don't be driving your car in the oncoming traffic lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Now imagine seeing a car up ahead without their DRL's turned on.

Is it against the curb, or in the driving lane? It's not that hard to tell if it's light out. If it's dark out, you should have your lights on anyway.

Honestly.. Who gives a shit... not everyone needs to pass everyone else out there.

I think that DRL's are stupid.. because they don't turn on the rear lights. So, I disabled my DRL's and wired up the marker lights to come on whenever the engine is running instead.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #33
How I Mod your mother

DRL's are especially important in the rain. Driving home from work yesterday there was a civic behind me with no drl's and it was silver. It wasnt invisible, but if I had just glanced I wouldnt have known it was there.

I've seen alot of cars around lately with no DRL's actually. Saw an older audi TT pull into the gym parking lot with no lights on at all last night around 8:30
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #34
Media Officer / MOD

^ then they are idiots,

when the weather isn't right you should turn on your lights even if you have DRL. some people just don't have any common sence
Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #35
RS controls my life!

lets just put it this way... stealth =/= cool.. stealth = why there are so many accidents even without the influence of alcohol
I mean those LV and Gucci also doesn't make you any smarter
Shirlz - Things to do in Vancouver | Web Developer Resource
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #36
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
we kinda have a nation of 300 million people to south of us that don't run drl and they seem to be doing fine.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #37
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:

That is exactly why I pulled the fuse on my DRL. I'd get in the car and without even realizing it I'd be driving without my lights on since the dash was lit up.
When I pulled the fuse then the dash lights only came on if the headlights were on.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #38
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
Quote:
do you honestly think DRLs (DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS) are meant to be used at night? think about that for a second. only dumbasses don't know to turn their lights on at night and that's my exact point. if you have your headlights on at night, there is no basis for your argument of street lights being used or not. i guess everyone who drives to UBC at night just crash 100% of the time into objects and people huh?

bringing bicycle reflectors into your argument just shows how weak your case is.
i didnt say thats what they were made for, i gave an example of a situation where they come in useful. people DO forget to turn on headlights all the time. you've never caught yourself with your headlights off before part way through your drive? why do you think new cars have auto headlights? because people do forget all the time. all im saying is more visibility is not a bad thing. i dont see how you can argue that.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #39
Media Officer / MOD

actually on a 7th gen accord if the dash lights are off you can't see the cluster as the plastic in front of the cluster isnt clear it's actually tinted so they actually need the lights

that being said I believe when purchasing a car some simple things such as this should be told to everyone. Just see way too many people driving with out proper lights
Old 09-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #40
Need my Daily Fix of RS

well my stupid car lights up the dash at all times, and has no drls

both how the car came so i didn't disable anything, and the only thing that lights up is a little icon when the headlights are on
Old 09-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #41
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
The other issue is what constitutes are DRL's.

In most cars with fixed headlights, the DRL's is the high bean run at less than 100% yet cars with pop-up lights like the NA miata's use a different light.

91-93 MR2's have pop up lights. What do they use as DRL's?
The MR2's use their fog lights as DRL's... I've seen some cars running around with their side markers as DRL's as well. My black MR2 had flush mounted headlights and I just left the headlights on all the time. Pull the key and open the door, the lights turned off on it's own. My USDM MR2 has no such feature
Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #42
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
it's this type of thinking that leads the gullible to believe you can't see white cars in snow and that black cars are instantly invisible at night.
My gray car must be invisible all the time. I've been rear ended 3 times in the past year and a half. Most recently 3 weeks ago. I could be just sitting at a red light and I'll hear screeching tires behind me... guh..
Old 09-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #43
Banned (BBM)

happened to my last car as well

time to switch i guess
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
My gray car must be invisible all the time. I've been rear ended 3 times in the past year and a half. Most recently 3 weeks ago. I could be just sitting at a red light and I'll hear screeching tires behind me... guh..
No, it's cause you have a sexy ass and they wanted to give it to you hard.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #45
Banned (BBM)

from behind
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #46
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
My HIDs turn on the moment I turn my key to the "on" position before starting the car up, so I never worry about forgetting to turn on or off my low beams at night.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #47
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
i didnt say thats what they were made for, i gave an example of a situation where they come in useful. people DO forget to turn on headlights all the time. you've never caught yourself with your headlights off before part way through your drive? why do you think new cars have auto headlights? because people do forget all the time. all im saying is more visibility is not a bad thing. i dont see how you can argue that.
so it's useful for stupid drivers to be fooled into thinking their headlights are on? when in fact, only DRLs are on in the front and all tail lights are off. the point here is, if DRLs did not exist, people would be forced into remembering to turn their headlights on. thus, there would be sufficient light for BOTH directions of traffic. you cannot argue that light in the front is beneficial when people in the back are equally (if not more) screwed by the lack of light. instead, we coddle the retards and give them something that creates a false sense of security.

as for the comments about hondas having their cluster lights on all the time, this is ADJUSTABLE. the setting you have without the headlights on can be set differently than when you have them on. i used to drive a 2004 civic lx and at first i thought it was stupid too. then i fiddled around with it and came upon this discovery.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #48
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124Y View Post
My HIDs turn on the moment I turn my key to the "on" position before starting the car up, so I never worry about forgetting to turn on or off my low beams at night.
Do you have Bi-Xenon? What does HID have to do with high beams?
TruboChrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #49

Maybe this will stop the argument on DRL's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

Or open another can of worms?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #50
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,796 Times in 1,762 Posts
I don't understand why people here hate for DRL's so much that they argue tooth and nail against them. A couple of extra lights turn on during the day, bigfuckingdeal.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: