REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Ever been VIed for not having DRLs?

So far from my personal experience, I have gotten a VI for lowered suspension, and ticketed for no license plate. Do cops in Vancouver care about having day time running lights on when headlight are not on?
Advertisement
blazn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Banned (BBM)

nope never

my friend never ran DRL in his ride, never got hasseled

its a minor thing, tho i gotta say it is definitely a huge part of safety.

Seen wayyyyyyyy too many morons with their stupid new car driving at night, and not turning on ANY sort of light on other than their stupid auto. lit cluster
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Please have DRLs. I don't want to hit you, and I don't want you to hit me.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Please have DRLs. I don't want to hit you, and I don't want you to hit me.
So how does DRL's keep you from hitting me and me from hitting you?

Pedestrians don't have DRL's and I don't see them hitting me or me hitting them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I cannot believe the above question is actually being asked.

Please take 10 mins and think. Make it 5 mins.

If I can spot you more easily, regardless if I'm in a car or on foot, I'm that much more aware of your presence, and I can conduct my actions in a more informed manner. I don't want to surprise a driver/pedestrian because they didn't see me, and I don't want them to surprise me because I didn't see them. Surprises aren't fun for either pedestrian or driver.

I don't mean for this to be offensive, but I have to ask, are you seriously telling me you didn't think of this?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #6

So how does DRL's keep you from hittng me and me from hitting you?
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
hahahahah wtf are you talking about? i guess 30-40% of the cars on the road are invisible to you then.

yeah, everyone else on this planet is unable to see 2000-4000lb MOVING objects because there's no DRL! that MUST be it.

it's this type of thinking that leads the gullible to believe you can't see white cars in snow and that black cars are instantly invisible at night.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
So how does DRL's keep you from hittng me and me from hitting you?
they're important because if someone forgets to put their headlights on at night, they still have drls and are still somewhat visible. without headlights or drls they're almost invisible at night
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ctr.ek9 View Post
it's this type of thinking that leads the gullible to believe you can't see white cars in snow and that black cars are instantly invisible at night.
This would explain why people drive around in the day time with their high beams on right?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
they're important because if someone forgets to put their headlights on at night, they still have drls and are still somewhat visible. without headlights or drls they're almost invisible at night
And does these DRL's keep them from getting their black cars from getting rear ended at night?
And the DRL's also light up their dash clusters so they can see their speed-o-meter at night?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

DRL increase vehicle visibility during the day and anything that increases car visibility is always good.
Jsunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
hahahahah wtf are you talking about? i guess 30-40% of the cars on the road are invisible to you then.

yeah, everyone else on this planet is unable to see 2000-4000lb MOVING objects because there's no DRL! that MUST be it.

in that case why have street lights? headlights should be enough to see a huge object late at night. lets save on our taxes and stop giving electricity to street lights they are completely useless.

oh and bicycles.. why do they have reflectors? such a distraction to us drivers
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsunu View Post
DRL increase vehicle visibility during the day and anything that increases car visibility is always good.
So it is ok to drive around in the day and night with my high beams on because it increases car visibility and that is a good thing.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #14
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Quote:
in that case why have street lights? headlights should be enough to see a huge object late at night. lets save on our taxes and stop giving electricity to street lights they are completely useless.

oh and bicycles.. why do they have reflectors? such a distraction to us drivers
do you honestly think DRLs (DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS) are meant to be used at night? think about that for a second. only dumbasses don't know to turn their lights on at night and that's my exact point. if you have your headlights on at night, there is no basis for your argument of street lights being used or not. i guess everyone who drives to UBC at night just crash 100% of the time into objects and people huh?

bringing bicycle reflectors into your argument just shows how weak your case is.
Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

DRLs are stupid, only because they turn on the headlights only. Why not turn the friggin tail lights on too?? All the time I can barely see idiots in Vancouver with DRLs on in the pouring rain or fog.
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #16

Quote:
do you honestly think DRLs (DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS) are meant to be used at night? think about that for a second. only dumbasses don't know to turn their lights on at night or forget to turn them on and not notice that the lights on their dash are off and that's my exact point. if you have your headlights on at night, there is no basis for your argument of street lights being used or not. i guess everyone who drives to UBC at night just crash 100% of the time into objects and people huh?

bringing bicycle reflectors into your argument just shows how weak your case is.
Corrected you sentence.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #17
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
So it is ok to drive around in the day and night with my high beams on because it increases car visibility and that is a good thing.
EXACTLY

Ok give me a good argument to WHY we shouldn't have DRL on. And no, "it burns out the bulb faster" is a bullshit excuse.
Jsunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengy View Post
DRLs are stupid, only because they turn on the headlights only. Why not turn the friggin tail lights on too?? All the time I can barely see idiots in Vancouver with DRLs on in the pouring rain or fog.
The other issue is what constitutes are DRL's.

In most cars with fixed headlights, the DRL's is the high bean run at less than 100% yet cars with pop-up lights like the NA miata's use a different light.

91-93 MR2's have pop up lights. What do they use as DRL's?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsunu View Post
EXACTLY

Ok give me a good argument to WHY we shouldn't have DRL on. And no, "it burns out the bulb faster" is a bullshit excuse.

To be honest, I can't think of a good reason not to have DRL's, just like the arguement for them.

But since they are manditory by law to have them, I will break that law and go without. Fight the power. Stick it to the man.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #20
Hopeless Romantic

Do it for the lols. I don't have DRL on my car, but honestly how hard is it to turn a dial/flick a switch to turn on your lights at night. If you're not on a well lit road how can you not see that your headlights are on... I can turn on the lights for my gauge cluster while still keeping my HID's off with no DRL..
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
RS controls my life!

Quote:
do you honestly think DRLs (DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS) are meant to be used at night? think about that for a second. only dumbasses don't know to turn their lights on at night and that's my exact point. if you have your headlights on at night, there is no basis for your argument of street lights being used or not. i guess everyone who drives to UBC at night just crash 100% of the time into objects and people huh?

WELL PUT... HENCE DAYTIME... they are for VISIBILITY for mainly oncoming traffic and pedestrians on the road... even in the daytime cars can blend into the environment around them, so if I'm at a crosswalk without the yellow blinking lights I would like to see traffic before crossing because not every douche bag driver stops for pedestrians

As for the Sum guy ranting about the high beams, I know you're sarcastic but for the rest of you high beams are to EXTEND YOUR OWN VISIBILITY, they are aimed higher so not only are you not enhancing your own.. you are blinding other drivers

for the OP, cars now a days are engineered not only for performance but to encompass a lot of the laziness and douche bag actions we perform almost on a daily basis... hence a lot of safety features are built to protect the driver and the environment around the driver... KEEP YOUR DRLs on because in the morning I'm super tire and fatigue driving to work and you might be on coming still drunk from last night's party... when you swerve, I might not have seen you in time... and If I don't end up dying I will probably come back here and flame you
I mean those LV and Gucci also doesn't make you any smarter
Shirlz - Things to do in Vancouver | Web Developer Resource
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #22
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengy View Post
actually i dont think DRL is stupid, its just the idiots in vancouver forgets to turn on their first stage lights at night time. How the fuck can u forget? its like getting into ur car, first thing u do is get in, buckle up, and drive. And when it becomes dark outside, u simply fucking turn the knob otherwise
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #23
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I got some led drls in my fogs so it's visible there's light but it's not bright, I use to roll with no DRLs at all, but i tun on my night time lights *one click rather then 2 for full headlights* most of the time anyways
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #24
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi128 View Post
I got some led drls in my fogs so it's visible there's light but it's not bright, I use to roll with no DRLs at all, but i tun on my night time lights *one click rather then 2 for full headlights* most of the time anyways
i do 1 click too when i know daylight is shitty; whether it be fog/cloudy day/early morning. it's not rocket science to know when to fully turn your headlights on

fyi, i don't use the DRL's on my car. the bulbs are there w/o any wiring hooking it up :P
Spoiler!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #25
GC8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,146 Times in 121 Posts
Quote:
wrong drl is bad for idiots at night... why? because drl gives them some light at night and they think their headlights are on.. but really they are not!! and the rear end is pitchblack since no lights on unless you turn it on

if their was no DRL the idiot when he/she turns on the car it will be dark then they will go hey I need to turn my headlights on.

this is my opinion.. drl is not needed I think it is just a waste of energy during the day and it makes idiots think their headlights are on.
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote