REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #51
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
^you forget that some of us drive rice rockets and that extra stress on the alternator makes our cars significantly slower
Advertisement
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC8 View Post
wrong drl is bad for idiots at night... why? because drl gives them some light at night and they think their headlights are on.. but really they are not!! and the rear end is pitchblack since no lights on unless you turn it on

if their was no DRL the idiot when he/she turns on the car it will be dark then they will go hey I need to turn my headlights on.

this is my opinion.. drl is not needed I think it is just a waste of energy during the day and it makes idiots think their headlights are on.
Take it from someone who's been driving for 25+ years: there were just as many idiots driving around at night with no lights on, BEFORE DRLs became mandatory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #53
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Just the fact that it makes cars more visible is enough for me to have the drl's on even though I think the cars look better without them on
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #54
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by illicitstylz View Post
Just the fact that it makes cars more visible is enough for me to have the drl's on even though I think the cars look better without them on
That's the problem. In low light conditions, ie fog/rain/snowy/early mornings DRL's help when looking at the car from the front but this doesn't help seeing the back of the car. Also, DRL's have little to no benefit in increasing visability in high daylight.

Also, the argument is what to use for DRL's. High beam on lower voltage, corner markers, fog lights, or turn signals. In the low light situations, corner markers and turn signals are not going to help as much as fog lights or lower voltage high beams.

But then again, in the low light situations, people should have their night time low beams on.

Also, since matter cannot be created or destroyed, electricity to power the DRL's must come from the alternator which in turn means using more gas and creating more pollution (marginally at best)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #55
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
DRLs are great cause the majority of driver's don't really pay attention when driving anymore than any increase in visibility of moving vehicles will help.

This isn't saying that driving without caution is okay, but having DRLs just might save your ass the next time someone decides to roll through a stop sign in front of you trying to save time.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #56
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
If so many people weren't clued-out, we wouldn't need them.

In the spring I was on the I5 between Portland and Seattle in medium rain. Lots of tractor-trailers on the road kicking up huge spray. How many people had their lights on? Maybe 10%. Everyone is doing 80mph and you are almost completely invisible in that spray.

So, because these morons don't turn on their lights, we have DRLs. Same reason cars are being fitted with blind spot warning systems, lane departure warning systems, adaptive cruise control, automatic parallel parking, etc. Then these become required equipment after insurance companies lobby for them, and we all pay and extra $2k and have 500 lb more gear on our cars.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #57
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,257 Times in 1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
That's the problem. In low light conditions, ie fog/rain/snowy/early mornings DRL's help when looking at the car from the front but this doesn't help seeing the back of the car. Also, DRL's have little to no benefit in increasing visability in high daylight.

Also, the argument is what to use for DRL's. High beam on lower voltage, corner markers, fog lights, or turn signals. In the low light situations, corner markers and turn signals are not going to help as much as fog lights or lower voltage high beams.

But then again, in the low light situations, people should have their night time low beams on.

Also, since energy cannot be created or destroyed, electricity to power the DRL's must come from the alternator which in turn means using more gas and creating more pollution (marginally at best)
fixed
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #58
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsunu View Post
DRL increase vehicle visibility during the day and anything that increases car visibility is always good.
You'll notice my yellow drl's for sure.
CivicTypeRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #59
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Here in Vancouver, people especially with newer gen Hondas don't turn on their lights at night. Without DRLs, I have no idea how they see at night or they want to be rear ended?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #60
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^ they want to try out the takumi techniques from initial d
oinkoinkpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #61
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
maybe before they can get their licence people should LEARN HOW TO FUCKING TURN ON THEIR LIGHTS!

that will save MANY lives.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #62
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I got rid of my DRL on my car...it was easy;one snip of a wire, DONE!

I've went thru road blocks a few times and I never got pulled over for not having DRLs on.

I think what attracts attention from cops are speeding, window tint, loud exhausts, low ride height and ricer lights/car neon underglow..etc.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #63
I am on the internets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Please have DRLs. I don't want to hit you, and I don't want you to hit me.
+1 Turn that shit on. run your foglights.. whatev

the same fucken reason i got rid of my leet "clear" bulbs and installed yellow bulbs - common sense
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:08 AM   #64
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Motorcyclists are also glad that you have DRL's.
On a twisty road, or sometimes even in the city, you can barely see an oncoming car unless they had those lights. Also imagine if motorcycles didnt have DRL's either. Then they are even more invisible to cagers than they already are.

I am Pro DRL's whoo
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #65
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I hate it when people turn on both their headlight and DRLS... it blinds the fuck out of me when I'm driving across and infront of them.

It probably increases your visability, but your making everyone else angy.

learn how to read what a high beam symbol looks like on your dash before you get shot down one day.
Drift_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:14 AM   #66
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengy View Post
DRLs are stupid, only because they turn on the headlights only. Why not turn the friggin tail lights on too?? All the time I can barely see idiots in Vancouver with DRLs on in the pouring rain or fog.
drl in my 94 golf had the tails on as well.
kumbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #67
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

To answer the original question...

Yes, you can be pulled over for no DRL's, changed bulb color DRL's. The same reason you can be pulled over for a busted headlight or illegal HID's.

If the cop is being a jerk, he can give you a VI - especially if you have changed the color of the DRL's...it's also another reason to be pulled over. "DRL's are off ehh ... hmm what else you got little boy?" haha

By law, canadian insured cars should have working DRL's, 1990 and up.
vo_hantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #68
Banned (BBM)

DRL FTW
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #69
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Anyone that does not agree with the safety of DRLs has not driven into the sun everyday on their drive home. The sun is blinding, even with shades and the visor down, most objects fade into the glare.

How do you combat glare? More light. DRLs are visible even in the glare of setting sun.

Now you can argue if you drive correctly DRLs are not needed, yet if we all drove correctly no safety feature would be needed.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #70
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^+1

Also, having grown up and learned to drive in the BC Interior, I can tell you, with long, straight, undivided, wavy two-lane highways and the distortion you get above the road from heat waves, DRLs make oncoming traffic WAY more visible, WAY WAY sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #71
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

my buddy's been DRL-less for years. cops don't even notice.
Vip13 is offline   Reply With Quote