REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   OFFICIAL SPEED TRAP HEADS UP THREAD (https://www.revscene.net/forums/595993-official-speed-trap-heads-up-thread.html)

LiquidTurbo 11-12-2009 02:29 AM

OFFICIAL SPEED TRAP HEADS UP THREAD

Just a reminder to obey speed limits. Over the past two days I saw 5 places where people were being pulled over.

1. Bottom of the Hill at 72nd Avenue in Surrey getting onto the Alex Fraser (It's 50 all the way down the hill and 60 at the bottom until you are fully merged onto 91.)
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...73.58,,0,19.42

The weekend before I was doing 45-50 down the hill, (it was pouring rain), and a huge SUV was tailgating me down the hill. Passed me going about 70-80 when the lane opened up. Out of nowhere he gets pulled over by a police car I didn't even see was stopped on the side of the road.)

2. Heading Northbound into the George Massey Tunnel (The area is 80km/hr -> People were flying in at 110km+ getting pulled over)
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...2,297.3,,0,7.4

3. Heading Southbound exiting right off Oak Street
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...35.22,,0,10.21

4&5. School Zones. (Hidden behind Vans)

Any other speed trap locations you guys have seen recently?

At each location there were lots of cars being pulled over... Drive safe out there.:thumbsup:

Ikkaku 11-12-2009 06:17 AM

I'm pretty sure it was just a normal speeder pull-over but yesterday on Oak st. near marpole an unmarked fusion (I believe) pulled over a guy heading towards Richmond... the fusion took two lanes because his car was parked at an angle like / and the rear crossed the middle lane

Mugen EvOlutioN 11-12-2009 08:29 AM

road is pretty damn slippery these days

shenmecar 11-12-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6679841)

Even more reason to slow down people!

spoon.ek9 11-12-2009 08:54 AM

i always wanted to start an "Official Speed Trap" Thread.

Richmond Speed Traps:

Russ Baker Way (off-road parking lot by airport strip, also fire department sometimes)
Cambie Rd and Jacombs (they hide in the parking lot entrances to the school)
Cambie Rd and No.4 Rd (they hide in the mini mall lot)
Cambie Rd and Garden City (they hide on the residential street just before garden city)
No.5 Rd after the overpass (hiding after the downhill)
No.5 Rd and Granville Ave

Richmond "random" check stops:

Dinsmore Bridge (in both directions)
No.2 Road Bridge (heading into Richmond)
No.5 Road overpass (in both directions)

can't think of anymore.

penner2k 11-12-2009 09:03 AM

http://www.trapster.com/rl/Trapster.php

Type in the area you live in (or where you are going) and it will show you where all the speedtraps/redlight cameras are. It will also show common areas for speed traps.

RacePace 11-12-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ctr.ek9 (Post 6679865)
i always wanted to start an "Official Speed Trap" Thread.

Richmond Speed Traps:

Russ Baker Way (off-road parking lot by airport strip, also fire department sometimes)
Cambie Rd and Garden City (they hide on the residential street just before garden city)

can't think of anymore.

Knight St southbound just before you hit Westminster Hwy (hiding under the bridge)

Mugen EvOlutioN 11-12-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 6679847)
Even more reason to slow down people!

+1

fsy82 11-12-2009 10:54 AM

going up Nordel from alex fraser today there was a cop with a radar gun

jlenko 11-12-2009 11:28 AM

C'mon, don't spoil my fun!

I roll down my window and laugh very loudly when I pass you ricers all pulled over at these spots ;)

Mugen EvOlutioN 11-12-2009 12:26 PM

ok...........

cl9 11-12-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminate (Post 6679882)
Knight St southbound just before you hit Westminster Hwy (hiding under the bridge)

^ Cops were there almost every weekend

TRD Rs200 11-12-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl9 (Post 6680208)
^ Cops were there almost every weekend

seen lots of cars being pulled over at that spot

silk 11-12-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6679876)

Type in the area you live in (or where you are going) and it will show you where all the speedtraps/redlight cameras are. It will also show common areas for speed traps.

this is awesome

LiquidTurbo 11-12-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6679876)

Dude. Awesome Site!!! It would be so cool if you could sync that with a GPS.

penner2k 11-12-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 6680253)
Dude. Awesome Site!!! It would be so cool if you could sync that with a GPS.

What types of mobile phones does Trapster support?

* iPhone
* BlackBerry
* Android (the TMobile G1 and others)
* Nokia N95, N96, N97, 5800, E71, and other Symbian s60 phones
* Palm WebOS phones such as Pre and Pixi
* Windows Mobile touch screen phones with 6.0, 6.1, or 6.5 OS and GPS
* Unlocked J2ME phones with GPS (for example the Sprint Samsung Instinct)

You can download it for all these phones. Get a bluetooth gps for your phone and problem solved. It has different alerts depending on the situation. One for red light camera, one for common speed trap areas and one for active speed traps (reported in the past 4 hours I believe)
When you go through a speed trap you hit a button and it sends it to their server. Now anyone driving through there in the next 4 hours gets an alert that there is a speed trap there

penner2k 11-12-2009 10:29 PM

also

Trapster works on Garmin and TomTom.

After about a gazillion of you (our users) asked for Garmin and TomTom support, we implemented it! While other sites charge money for this data, we offer it absolutely free (for personal use by individual registered users). Check out our innovative approach to setting areas, routes, and alert types of interest, and for POI Mailer automated notifications! Note: Static trap types such as red light cameras and known police enforcement points stay in the same place for years. But real time trap types such as the motorcycle police with laser, a mobile speed van, or a checkpoint, move from place to place every few hours. Garmin and TomTom navigation devices are not connected, so our servers cannot deliver real time data to them. Therefore we suggest you additionally use our location based text message system to be alerted to the trap types that are not static in nature.

threezero 11-12-2009 10:33 PM

is trapster better now? try that for a while seems like all the spots on their are not updated and the new one weren't reported. radar detector would be more effective?

syee 11-13-2009 07:37 AM

Here's another place where you can download POI's for your GPS of red light/speed trap locations. Click me. Seems to be pretty up to date (last update was 10/25 for this list). I use it on my Garmin and it gives an audible alert when you're passing by any of these speed trap/red light locations.

This particular one is for US and Canada but if you go to their Custom POI page, you can get ones for Europe as well as POI's for just about anything you want. (like Starbucks, Mc Donalds, your favourite gas station, etc)

Oscar_Binswood 11-13-2009 09:59 AM

Highway 1 heading towards Surrey, right before Gaglardi exit cops were just picking off the last few people in the fast lane... Always seem to see cops have someone pulled over there.

spoon.ek9 11-13-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminate (Post 6679882)

they also hide at the bottom of the hill just before you get onto the bridge. i think it's an emergency lane/island thing.

how did i forget about wesminster hwy? lol

Richmond Speed Traps:

Westminster Hwy between No.4 and No.5 Rd

Soundy 11-13-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 6679675)
The weekend before I was doing 45-50 down the hill, (it was pouring rain), and a huge SUV was tailgating me down the hill. Passed me going about 70-80 when the lane opened up. Out of nowhere he gets pulled over by a police car I didn't even see was stopped on the side of the road.)

Ahahahah, I love when that happens.... don't see it nearly often enough, either.

(Watch, now it'll happen to me :P)

jonny123 11-14-2009 03:32 PM

awesome thread for the speed trap locations....

but that aside, use your judgement and common sense people! its getting wet out there, slow down, please don't tailgate and use your turn signals plz

Iceman-19 11-15-2009 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6679841)

Its called rain water, you may not have noticed, but water falls from the sky down here from time to time, it is called rain. When it makes the roads wet, they are not as good for traction as they are when dry. Learn this. It happens often.

Eff-1 11-15-2009 11:53 AM

This is now the official speed trap thread. All speed trap heads up posts go here and only here. Enjoy.