REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #2826
RS controls my life!

Hi bike people, I was wondering how these bikes stack up...?? Have any better options? What would you pick and why?
Looking for seawall riding, light trails, around the street stuff... super casual rider.

'13 Cannondale Trail 7 $529.95
Cannondale Trail 7 - Cap's Westwood Cycle, pedaling good clean fun for 80 years

GT Transeo 4.0 Satin Black 2013 $599.00 - 25% family friends discount at sportschek
GT Transeo 4.0 Satin Black 2013 - SportChek.ca

2010 Rocky Mountain Vapor 20.5 Mountain Bike - $400 (South Surrey) - off craigslist
2010 Rocky Mountain Vapor 20.5 Mountain Bike
Advertisement
Renxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #2827
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'm going to try and sway you back. Wheels are huge IMO. The RS10's get the job done, but they are heavy and on the flexier side. You'll have a stiffer and more responsive/efficient ride with lighter wheels, and knocking off 400g is ~25%, and that is rotational mass. The Reynolds are pretty darn good bang for the buck. Combine that with improved and ligher tires and tubes, and you are golden. The improvement gained from wheels > changing from mid-end to top-line drivetrain/brakes IMO. Just think of the difference you found from going 105-Red, and multiply that 2-3x.

And factor in you can probably sell your RS-10's for about $150, you're really only paying $200 to get that upgrade
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #2828
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Yea i kinda went through the same thing... i wanted new wheels too, but my buddy said to me, just ride and get your legs, and then think about getting nicer wheels. i ended up saving $ and bought a sweet kit instead lol.

but now i just ride a lot, and every time out i feel faster and stronger.

it looks like ur a smaller guy? us small guys have good power/weight ratio and can get up hills way more awesome

no mod is better than good legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayceeee View Post
thanks everyone.

decision made. no wheels!

and start riding more as is. until later on when i get stronger etc. getting stronger is a free upgrade vs parts/components.
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #2829
I bringith the lowerballerith

so many things to think about lol. i think im thinking too much lol.

yea im about 128 lbs.

so yea not a heavy powerful rider by any means.

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #2830
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
The RS10's get the job done, but they are heavy and on the flexier side.
Just some food for thought - I'm a heavier guy, 200lbs, 5'8. I had a set of the RS10 wheels that came with the Diamonback and Alphamale can attest to this - the wheels gradually went out of true more and more during a ride to Iona Beach. I had no idea what was holding me back and I had a hard time keeping up with the group.

It wasn't until we hit Iona Beach and took a look at the wheels and sure enough, out of true to hell. The next day, bam. It happened again. I bought a set of the old Reynolds Solitude (Alta Race - discontinued) and it was a noticeable difference in every aspect.

Even with my Fulcrum Racing 7 stock wheels, they're "better" but the maintenance factor with the spokes makes it somewhat a pain in the ass. With the Reynolds, so far, so good!

For you lighter guys - you have a major advantage over bigger guys like myself. Yes, you can just keep riding until you turn into a monster like 604CEFIRO but on the other hand, if you have some sort of goal in mind, be it weight reduction, improving your times/speeds, try a new set of wheels and decide for yourself later if it was a good or bad buy. For perspective, if you applied that train of thought with everything else, why not just sell the Cannondale and get an old hipster steel bike with downtube shifters and a half rusted drive train that weighs 28lbs?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #2831

kaycee how much was your groupset? and where u buy it from?
Old 05-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #2832

@604 $1700 on ebay.

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #2833
RS Veteran

604CEFIRO going to SRAM?!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 05-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #2834

i'll see what i can get back with the 105 5700 parts back and also maybe the rs10.

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 05-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #2835

no just wondering lol. will be sticking to my 105's for a long while until i get into the next tax bracket
Old 05-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #2836
RS Veteran

I bought my Campy Veloce groupset from Shiny Bikes in the UK. Their prices for Shimano and SRAM are also reasonable. The best part is that they sell retail parts, not OEM unlike most shops in the US do. kayceeee got really lucky and got retail SRAM Red.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #2837
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
@dukes @ roast: parts ordered, will pm you both when they arrive.
Quote:
thanks everyone.

decision made. no wheels!

and start riding more as is. until later on when i get stronger etc. getting stronger is a free upgrade vs parts/components.
Thanks for the order! Also, I agree with others that riding better is more important than throwing money at wheels/equipment. Let me put it this way - you have about 80lbs less weight to haul around than I do...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Have you had a chance to ride with them yet?

They are a great friendly group to ride with. They have riders of all levels. I'd say average age are older? I've only ridden with them a handful of times. But its fun. The group can get big... FB showed some rides last week with 16 going to cypress
The rides sound good, I'm probably interested in going to the novice ones to learn how to ride but I have ultimate games on Tuesdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Just some food for thought - I'm a heavier guy, 200lbs, 5'8. I had a set of the RS10 wheels that came with the Diamonback and Alphamale can attest to this - the wheels gradually went out of true more and more during a ride to Iona Beach. I had no idea what was holding me back and I had a hard time keeping up with the group.

It wasn't until we hit Iona Beach and took a look at the wheels and sure enough, out of true to hell. The next day, bam. It happened again. I bought a set of the old Reynolds Solitude (Alta Race - discontinued) and it was a noticeable difference in every aspect.

Even with my Fulcrum Racing 7 stock wheels, they're "better" but the maintenance factor with the spokes makes it somewhat a pain in the ass. With the Reynolds, so far, so good!

For you lighter guys - you have a major advantage over bigger guys like myself. Yes, you can just keep riding until you turn into a monster like 604CEFIRO but on the other hand, if you have some sort of goal in mind, be it weight reduction, improving your times/speeds, try a new set of wheels and decide for yourself later if it was a good or bad buy. For perspective, if you applied that train of thought with everything else, why not just sell the Cannondale and get an old hipster steel bike with downtube shifters and a half rusted drive train that weighs 28lbs?
Well, in any sport or any hobby there's a point of diminishing returns - that extra 100g shaved off the bike is not really going to help you THAT much compared to dropping off a few pounds from the engine. That's what I need to do rather than focus on the bike.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #2838

yeah even john@pms said it was a good deal. came in individual retail boxes, with warranty, rather than takeoffs on bikes or comes in bags etc.

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #2839
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
that extra 100g shaved off the bike is not really going to help you THAT much compared to dropping off a few pounds from the engine. That's what I need to do rather than focus on the bike.
There is a point of diminishing returns on everything. Who is to say that the 65 year old retired millionaire can't go out and buy a $20K bike with Campy Super Record EPS and let it just sit in his garage?

The point that needs to be driven across is if you want something and can afford it, go for it. What other people think is secondary.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #2840
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Have you had a chance to ride with them yet?

They are a great friendly group to ride with. They have riders of all levels. I'd say average age are older? I've only ridden with them a handful of times. But its fun. The group can get big... FB showed some rides last week with 16 going to cypress
Just joined their FB group. hopefully I can join their Tuesday and Saturday rides as often as I could to take advantage of this weather!
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #2841

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
There is a point of diminishing returns on everything. Who is to say that the 65 year old retired millionaire can't go out and buy a $20K bike with Campy Super Record EPS and let it just sit in his garage?

The point that needs to be driven across is if you want something and can afford it, go for it. What other people think is secondary.
Yes, but what I'm saying is the low-hanging fruit is usually the best way to get results. Let's not get into hypotheticals about millionaires and Campy bikes.
fml
Old 05-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #2842
RS Veteran

Sorry, the part about the millionaire and his Campy bike was real. I didn't make that up. He was a real customer at PMS.

If you are so inclined to belive that low-hanging fruit is usually the best way to get results, I'm surprised you even went for the BMC. Do you really need a 105 groupset? You were probably better off with Sora, or even 2300. Technically, even the pro teams could win races on Tiagra. Try a steel bike next time.

I don't know why you're imposing this kind of mentality. If kayceee wants to buy a lighter set of wheels for whatever reason it is, why not? If 604CEFIRO wanted to buy a Cervelo S2 tomorrow, why can't he? Point of diminishing returns for pretty much all of us.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #2843
I subscribe to Revscene

unfortunately in my personal experience and infinite wisdom...personal satisfaction derived from bling somehow manages to supersede the law of diminishing returns

sure your benefit from shaving off grams decreases with price point, but your benefit from looking like a baus at red lights also increases exponentially at the same time! plus, everyone knows anything with "Red" or "Ace" in it has to be fast. red is the fastest colour, after all.

makes sense...right? anyone??
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #2844
RS Veteran

BRB. Trading M3 for Corolla.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #2845
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^ really? Cool, bring your M3 over and I'll trade you the Corolla.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #2846
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renxo View Post
Hi bike people, I was wondering how these bikes stack up...?? Have any better options? What would you pick and why?
Looking for seawall riding, light trails, around the street stuff... super casual rider.

'13 Cannondale Trail 7 $529.95
Cannondale Trail 7 - Cap's Westwood Cycle, pedaling good clean fun for 80 years

GT Transeo 4.0 Satin Black 2013 $599.00 - 25% family friends discount at sportschek
GT Transeo 4.0 Satin Black 2013 - SportChek.ca

2010 Rocky Mountain Vapor 20.5 Mountain Bike - $400 (South Surrey) - off craigslist
2010 Rocky Mountain Vapor 20.5 Mountain Bike
Yes, I have better options...buy one of my bikes, you will save at least a hundred, and it will get you around the seawall no problem. And if you don't like it in a year or 2, you will be able to resell it for what you bought it for.
But sure, if you want a newer bike, out of those 3, then I'd pick the cheapest one.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #2847
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I'm sticking with my Jamis, the only way ill look like a baus is balancing at that red light
Posted via RS Mobile
hud 91gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #2848
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Got cut off at Kits today and fell.

Motherfuckers everywhere
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #2849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Got cut off at Kits today and fell.

Motherfuckers everywhere
You alright? That sucks.
fml
Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #2850
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
You alright? That sucks.
Left arm and leg is cut up cause I fell on the gravel path. I'm just happy that my bike didn't get damaged lol
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote