REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #2576
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,386 Times in 4,259 Posts
In my own experience (me and only myself) I would have just bought the best bike I could afford. I've been through too many different bikes to 'figure out" if I liked riding or not and this and that with upgrades etc. In the end, it ended up costing me MORE. So just get a Pinarello Dogma with Di2 shifting and call it a day.

Jokes aside, it's best to go to different shops, get measured properly, and test ride different bikes to see what works best for you in terms of sizing, fitting, comfort, and feel. Because when all those variables work in your favour, the bike will go a long way.

Then again, I have little to no self control. Don't listen to me.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #2577
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Current list for team jersey:

1. bcrdukes
2. 604CEFIRO
3. kayceeee
4. GReddy
5. dat_steve
6. Alphamale
7. OTG-ZR2
8. roastpuff

Just to re-cap - These are the following sponsors (in no particular order.)

- 49th Parallel Coffee
- Performance One
- Pacific Multisport
- Autowest BMW (tenative)

Strada Cycles will not be involved or on the jersey.
Question for you guys:

Do you have a preference to a jersey design and/or colour? (i.e. black jersey or white jersey.)

Since 49th Parallel Coffee is a sponsor, I was wondering if we could go with their default colours of black and/or white jersey with a celeste green?

Kind of like this -
Spoiler!

49th Parallel Coffee logo (two variations - front and back) and Performance One's logo on the back.

Update - Got in touch with Ron @ Jakroo. The Tour jersey is our best bet and is their highest quality jersey and also the Peloton Pro bib shorts. He will arrange for a fit/sample kit for us to try before we make a full commitment!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-29-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #2578
I bringith the lowerballerith

nice thanks dukes!

im doing for bibs n jersey.

those colours look good to me.

white might be bit cooler than dark colours especially for summer.

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #2579
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,153 Posts
Quote:
In my own experience (me and only myself) I would have just bought the best bike I could afford. I've been through too many different bikes to 'figure out" if I liked riding or not and this and that with upgrades etc. In the end, it ended up costing me MORE. So just get a Pinarello Dogma with Di2 shifting and call it a day.

Jokes aside, it's best to go to different shops, get measured properly, and test ride different bikes to see what works best for you in terms of sizing, fitting, comfort, and feel. Because when all those variables work in your favour, the bike will go a long way.
Yes, I'm going to visit a couple of shops with a friend of mine who is very much into biking - he regularly does centuries, and has done quite a few local tours (Whistler Fondo, Tour de Delta). He is going to help me get fitted and figure out what is appropriate for me - but now I have to figure out my budget, if I am able to spend over $1000 or if I need to stay under.

He says that he might have a lead on a frame that another friend has a frame lying around that I could get for relatively cheap and I can assemble my own bike - I need to figure out more about that. (Relatively cheap being ~$600, and the frame is a carbon something-or-other - Scott was the brand, if I recall correctly)
Quote:
Question for you guys:

Do you have a preference to a jersey design and/or colour? (i.e. black jersey or white jersey.)

Since 49th Parallel Coffee is a sponsor, I was wondering if we could go with their default colours of black and/or white jersey with a celeste green?

Kind of like this -
Spoiler!

49th Parallel Coffee logo (two variations - front and back) and Performance One's logo on the back.

Update - Got in touch with Ron @ Jakroo. The Tour jersey is our best bet and is their highest quality jersey and also the Peloton Pro bib shorts. He will arrange for a fit/sample kit for us to try before we make a full commitment!
I think white - cooler in the summer.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #2580
RS Veteran

If you guys have any ideas/suggesstions, feel free to post! Ron will have a mock up 3D design for us and we can make changes afterwards too!

roastpuff - Is the frame a Scott CR1? I know there's one on PinkBike.com. If you can get the frame and fork for $600, that's a pretty good deal. Don't forget, you'll need a cockpit, wheelset, and group set. That might run you over $1000 depending on how you go about it (waiting / hunting for deals etc.)

Old 04-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #2581

Quote:
roastpuff - Is the frame a Scott CR1? I know there's one on PinkBike.com. If you can get the frame and fork for $600, that's a pretty good deal. Don't forget, you'll need a cockpit, wheelset, and group set. That might run you over $1000 depending on how you go about it (waiting / hunting for deals etc.)
No idea. Like I said, he mentioned it in passing. I did some quick googling, and if it is the CR1, that's a good deal indeed. My friend also has some spare wheels to sell to me for a good deal as well, apparently - I have no idea what I'm getting into, I think.

I'm willing to wait/hunt for deals - that's not a problem.
fml
Old 04-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #2582

i'll hve some parts to sell as well. mainly shimano 105 group. shifters, FD RD, chain and cassette. i'll also have tektro brakes and probably fsa gossamer crankset bb30.

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 04-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #2583
I subscribe to Revscene

i agree with bcrdukes about spending more up front. Don't make the mistake of:
A) rushing into buying a bike that's the wrong size/geometry/riding style
B) buying a "cheap" bike (a walmart POS with downtube shifters) that you'll grow out of once the addiction gets a hold of you...and it will get a hold of you.

I'm not too picky on jersey colour schemes! my only comment is that celeste might be too much of a 'bianchi' type of colour?

i like this site when picking stuff like this: Browse Palettes :: COLOURlovers
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #2584

i also agree on spending more upfront, it saves a lot more money to get the end result, i learned the hard way,

bought a bike for around 500$, eventually after 3 months of riding i grew out of it, first it was too big, second it was somewhat entry level, then i bought another bike after for about 1500 and im a lot happier. even though i got some money back for the old bike, but its just a lot easiser and better to get a bike you like and you'd think you would be happy and keep for a while.

btw: the upgrade bug does not stop once it gets you.

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #2585
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
You guys know of a cheaper alternative to: Wiggle | BBB BTL-73 TorqueSet Torque Spanner Set | Workshop Tools

Looking for a torque set similar to that
That's not a bad price. I think I paid slightly cheaper for a simliar torque wrench on Amazon.com
Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/VENZO-Bicycle-Torque-Wrench-Socket/dp/B00811WQT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367280693&sr=8-1&keywords=venzo+torque+wrench
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #2586
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Question for you guys:

Kind of like this -
Spoiler!

Im in for sure! Maybe we can use the purple from the revscene color headline? And copy team skys jersey?
bd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #2587
RS Veteran

Updated list!

1. bcrdukes
2. 604CEFIRO (pending boss approval)
3. kayceeee
4. GReddy
5. dat_steve
6. Alphamale
7. OTG-ZR2
8. roastpuff
9. bd0n

dat_steve: I agree with you on the celeste green. But at the same time, it's one of the colours used by 49th Parallel. Would be a nice touch to make the team jersey easily identifiable by the cafe employees.

bd0n: The purple might be hard to match. The original vector design for RS from what I understand has been long "lost" so colour matching could be tough.

So I went to Pacific Multisport and a little birdie told me that SOMEBODY HERE didn't get SRAM Rival but instead, RED?! Fess up! Who are you!?

Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #2588

Quote:
Updated list!

1. bcrdukes
2. 604CEFIRO (pending boss approval)
3. kayceeee
4. GReddy
5. dat_steve
6. Alphamale
7. OTG-ZR2
8. roastpuff
9. bd0n

dat_steve: I agree with you on the celeste green. But at the same time, it's one of the colours used by 49th Parallel. Would be a nice touch to make the team jersey easily identifiable by the cafe employees.

bd0n: The purple might be hard to match. The original vector design for RS from what I understand has been long "lost" so colour matching could be tough.

So I went to Pacific Multisport and a little birdie told me that SOMEBODY HERE didn't get SRAM Rival but instead, RED?! Fess up! Who are you!?
That would be Mr. Sluggish poser. Me lol.

edit: just finished playing hockey. slammed my foot into the boards sliding sideways. ankle is busted/swollen. no riding for me in a while. hope it gets better before my wheel2heal 100km event this saturday. gg.

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by kayceeee; 04-29-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #2589
RS Veteran

All I gotta say is ballin' man. That is some straight up gangster shit.

Where and how much did you get it for? (You can PM me!)

Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #2590

just thought id try to make biking as easy as possible equipment wise. lol next is down to my fitness. which is a letdown for my bike lol

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #2591
I subscribe to Revscene

hey man if your purchases give you that extra motivation you need to ride/ride harder then all the power to you. in fact, the flasheir your get up the faster you'll probably ride since you wouldn't want to be dropped by a chump rocking anything less :P boom. rider logic lol

@bcrdukes - makes perfect sense about the celeste, i'm totally down to be sponsored that just sounds bad ass. i wonder if the mods/bawses here would support us at all, or would this be a purely 'external' revscene crew that communes within revscene haha

the sky jerseys are just so fking clean it's amazing. digging the simple coloured band around the single arm. i feel like the jersey should either be super simple or super loud :P
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #2592

it definitely gives me more motivation to ride more and improve, and i think it makes it more enjoyable riding as well. lol

yea i really like the sky gear, nice n simple yet beautiful.

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #2593
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
@bcrdukes - makes perfect sense about the celeste, i'm totally down to be sponsored that just sounds bad ass. i wonder if the mods/bawses here would support us at all, or would this be a purely 'external' revscene crew that communes within revscene haha
I don't think the mods are aware and I don't know how they can support us. This is purely among ourselves anyway.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #2594
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'm out on the jersey/bib because its just too baller for me. But some feedback:

Is it worthwhile to put so much effort into trying to match the coffee shop's colours, have their name plastered all over, when their 'sponsorship' is a free size upgrade on the drinks? I mean anything is better than nothing, but I personally find that kit plastered all over with random sponsors pretty tacky--unless the price is right of course because everything has a price. A simple, clean jersey >> coffee shop kit for free size upgrade. IMO of course.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #2595
RS Veteran

ok gaiz.

plain white jerseys for everyone

Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #2596

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayceeee View Post
i'll hve some parts to sell as well. mainly shimano 105 group. shifters, FD RD, chain and cassette. i'll also have tektro brakes and probably fsa gossamer crankset bb30.
Cool, I'll be interested in that if I do end up building a bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
i agree with bcrdukes about spending more up front. Don't make the mistake of:
A) rushing into buying a bike that's the wrong size/geometry/riding style
B) buying a "cheap" bike (a walmart POS with downtube shifters) that you'll grow out of once the addiction gets a hold of you...and it will get a hold of you.
Yes, definitely. I am into skiing as well so I have some experience with that at least - have to get a boot that fits you, and good gear does not come cheap. I understand both points in theory and how they apply to biking, though I have yet to put it into practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayceeee View Post
i also agree on spending more upfront, it saves a lot more money to get the end result, i learned the hard way,

bought a bike for around 500$, eventually after 3 months of riding i grew out of it, first it was too big, second it was somewhat entry level, then i bought another bike after for about 1500 and im a lot happier. even though i got some money back for the old bike, but its just a lot easiser and better to get a bike you like and you'd think you would be happy and keep for a while.

btw: the upgrade bug does not stop once it gets you.
I can relate on how the upgrade bug does not stop once it bites. I have too much ski gear cluttering the closet.

Guys, another question regarding possible bike choices. I mentioned the frame earlier, and building a bike - it is indeed a Scott CR1 but I need to nail down the price with my friend's friend. Frame and fork only. So I'd need a whole whack of parts for it - saddle, stem, handlebar, crank, groupset, wheels etc. If I bargain hunt, such as getting kaycee's parts and keeping an eye out for deals, do you think coming out under $1200-1300 is a reasonable target?

My friend went to one of the bike shops that he frequents today and he mentioned that the owner was willing to make a deal on a 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite, which is similar to the CR1. The price that the LBS owner offered was $1599, but it's a 2011 model and I think that $1500 is reasonable. I do not know for sure what groupset it has, but I think it is SRAM Apex. (Specialized Bicycle Components)

Opinions?
fml
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #2597
RS Veteran

This is my own experience from what I saw on Craigslist recently (give or take a few bucks here and there)

1. Frame/fork - $600 (let's just say that's how much you get it for)
2. Wheels - something like Fulcrum Racing 7s - $160
3. 105 groupset - $500 (let's just use this number for now)
4. Cockpit - Uhh...let's say $300 (stem, handlebar, seatpost, saddle?) Maybe less or more. (I have a spare handlebar, stem and seat post!)
5. Misc - cable housing, bar tape, and what have you etc. $50

That in itself is already around $1500 and change. Nothing wrong with a 2011 model. The Specialized would come with a warranty and the geometry is VERY similar to the Scott CR1.

I'm biased having owned a Scott myself and quite enjoy the hunt of building a bike. On the other hand, I prefer SRAM over Shimano. Then again, not everybody is as ADHD as I am.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #2598
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
No idea. Like I said, he mentioned it in passing. I did some quick googling, and if it is the CR1, that's a good deal indeed. My friend also has some spare wheels to sell to me for a good deal as well, apparently - I have no idea what I'm getting into, I think.

I'm willing to wait/hunt for deals - that's not a problem.
hey roastpuff. i m also looking for a frame to build my own bike as well.
just in case if you are not going to buy it. would you be able to hook it up? do you know the frame size?
Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist
this site have a fit calculator for you if you need it
tipy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #2599
RS Veteran

It's a 52cm.

Scott Cr1 Pro 2012 52cm - Pinkbike

Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #2600
Better safe than Surrey

Consider buying a quality bike from the beginning. When I was in the market for my commuter/CX bike, I was looking at mid range models but ended up with something a little better. It was hard on the bank account to get over the initial cost (I blew my budget, big time) but I don't regret it one bit. I'm glad I went the route I did rather than settling for something that would just fit my needs.

I would recommend buying a complete bike for your first until you get comfortable with riding and enough experience to know exactly what you want in a build.

Also, I agree with UFO about the sponsor logos on our jerseys. I like the concept of the SKY jersey with select placement of smallish logos. Enough to get the name out there but not too flashy.