REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

kayceeee 05-28-2013 04:44 PM

gonna book my fitting + wheels/tires/cassette installation once i pick up my wheels. should be at blaine by tues :fuckyea:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8248062)

this!

UFO 05-28-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipy (Post 8247893)
what about fitting english thread bb by bb30-english adaptor?
good idea or no?

kind of defeats the idea of bb30. bb30 allows use of larger bearings which will prolong durability in theory, and also allows the use of a larger diameter crank axle which can be made of aluminum allowing it to be stiffer and lighter.

Going bb30 to english, you'll end up with smaller bearings and having to use cranks with smaller diameter steel axles.

I suspect the bb30 issues may be due more to bearing quality than the system itself, in most cases. If bb issues are so recurrent, its worthwhile to have your shop check the tolerance and alignment of your bb shell as well and make sure that the bb shell is faced and square. But riding lots in mucky weather will also wear out bearings faster. Ceramic bearings could be a worthwhile upgrade even if its on your own coin.

tipy 05-28-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 8248113)
kind of defeats the idea of bb30. bb30 allows use of larger bearings which will prolong durability in theory, and also allows the use of a larger diameter crank axle which can be made of aluminum allowing it to be stiffer and lighter.

Going bb30 to english, you'll end up with smaller bearings and having to use cranks with smaller diameter steel axles.

I suspect the bb30 issues may be due more to bearing quality than the system itself, in most cases. If bb issues are so recurrent, its worthwhile to have your shop check the tolerance and alignment of your bb shell as well and make sure that the bb shell is faced and square. But riding lots in mucky weather will also wear out bearings faster. Ceramic bearings could be a worthwhile upgrade even if its on your own coin.

do you think this will work
Wiggle | Wheels Manufacturing BB30 to 24mm Crank Spindle Shims | Bottom Brackets
i am using ultegra 6750 and want to switch to bb30 frame with my hollowtech2

UFO 05-28-2013 07:22 PM

It will do the job, but its worthwhile to swap over to bb30 cranks while you're at it, IMO. The adapters will add additional weight, and you won't get the stiffness or weight savings that bb30 offer. But it will work at the end of the day

Wormiez 05-28-2013 07:50 PM

Was seeing what preference you guys have who ride multiple bikes with bike computers. Do you use just one computer for your bikes? And have multiple sets of speed & cadence sensor installed?

bcrdukes 05-28-2013 08:05 PM

^
Sorry, can't answer that question as I do not have a bike computer. :)

Any way, I just mounted the Continental GP4000s tires onto the Cinelli and Oh Mah Lawdy, mounting that shit is a fucking walk in the park!

Final conclusion - GP4000s are not in the same league as Pro Race 4 tires.

kayceeee 05-28-2013 08:37 PM

i only have one bike so neither can i

but with the garmin 500 im pretty sure you can use it on multiple bikes. not sure how many but at least two. you just need another set of sensors.

^ dukes: so im guessing you like the pro 4 more than the 4000s?

bcrdukes 05-28-2013 08:43 PM

Yeah, I like the Pro 4 Service Course much moreso than the GP4000s. I think people like dat_steve, 604CEFIRO and Alphamale would benefit from the Pro Race 4 the most. Race tire for race bikes and monsters.

Even on the box of the GP4000s, they are a city/touring tire so it made sense for me to mount them onto the Cinelli. Continental's marketing team does a good job to make you think they're race tires however hahaha

IIRC, OTG-ZR2 mounted his Michelin Pro Race 3s onto his wheels recently and he said he managed to pick up an average 4 or 5km/h on his rides.

dat_steve 05-28-2013 08:54 PM

ah ma gahh can't wait to ditch my squared ass vittorias.
Can't wait for my pro 4 to arrive... and new rapha jersey!
If I do the math right, these two items will get me an extra 5km/h moving and 20km/h looks wise.
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 05-28-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dat_steve (Post 8248306)
ah ma gahh can't wait to ditch my squared ass vittorias.
Can't wait for my pro 4 to arrive... and new rapha jersey!
If I do the math right, these two items will get me an extra 5km/h moving and 20km/h looks wise.
Posted via RS Mobile

Rapha adds an extra 30km/h according to the awesome radar. :D

UFO 05-28-2013 09:10 PM

Some of you guys here use the Kurt Kinetic trainer right? I'm looking at picking up a used unit, anything in particular to look for? They are supposed to be pretty bullet proof

bcrdukes 05-28-2013 09:13 PM

I have one, and yes. Mostly bullet proof. Spin the wheel, feel for resistance and listen for the fluid. If you can hear the fluid and there is resistance, it'd good to go. Play with the adjustment knob to ensure the spring is still intact and not fatigued.

kayceeee 05-28-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8248313)
Rapha adds an extra 30km/h according to the awesome radar. :D

+ 40 km/h with the caad :fuckyea::sweetjesus:

Spaceship_coupe 05-28-2013 10:26 PM

Thanks for the hill climbing tips everyone. I'm requesting to get this Saturday off so I can finally ride again. Here's a recent pic of my steed. I hardpark my bike as much as my car lol.

http://i.imgur.com/7ZQkoDr.jpg
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 05-28-2013 10:31 PM

Did that EC90SL fork come stock with the bike?

Spaceship_coupe 05-28-2013 10:39 PM

^No Mike. I've been slowly acquiring parts over the past 3 years of ownership. I recently put it on over a month ago.
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 05-28-2013 10:53 PM

Man, we have quite the Cannondale circle jerk going on here. :pokerface:

Wormiez 05-28-2013 10:59 PM

Nice bike! I noticed a number of you guys ride Cannondale :)

Any of you guys have any experience with lightweight CF rims?

bcrdukes 05-28-2013 11:01 PM

^
You should have gotten one too! :D

I'm too poor, fat, and slow. I only ride on aluminum clinchers. :okay:

Wormiez 05-28-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8248404)
^
You should have gotten one too! :D

I'm too poor, fat, and slow. I only ride on aluminum clinchers. :okay:

Probably my next ride may be a Cannondale.. But I gotta start loading up on Rapha gear to join the crew... :hotbaby:

This bike addiction is toxic.. Worst then modding cars..

kayceeee 05-28-2013 11:18 PM

cf rims are balling. But to really benefit you have to get them up to speed to get the deep aero advantage. I went with a lighter set of aluminum clincher because I'm not at the stage where I'll benefit from deep cf rims.
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 05-28-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wormiez (Post 8248409)
Probably my next ride may be a Cannondale.. But I gotta start loading up on Rapha gear to join the crew... :hotbaby:

This bike addiction is toxic.. Worst then modding cars..

Tell me about it. I sold my MR2 and cafe racer and ended up with 3 bikes and now my garage is full of bike parts. :alone:

I don't wanna turn out like slowguy. Go through 3 rotary engines on his RX-7, then buys STI, sells it, gets Forester, only to go back to an STI. Bad addictions! :okay:

OTG-ZR2 05-29-2013 01:17 AM

CF are a PITA cause you got to glue tires on, not many are clincher style.

-lincolnboi- 05-29-2013 01:32 AM

Need to sell my crappy mountain bike asap! Then I can either upgrade to a better xc rig, or get a road bike to ride with all you guys :alone:

604CEFIRO 05-29-2013 07:54 AM

Yea, my LBS said a major reason for creaks in bb30 is our weather... 4 seasons, lots of rain, salt etc...

I may consider ceramic bearings if it begins to creak again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 8248113)