REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:24 PM   #7451
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
Why not put in some mileage and come back to tell us?
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 06-28-2017 at 09:31 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #7452
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
time Xpresso. just joking. they wear out crazy fast. anyhow, what hipster dukes suggested. just put some mileage on them and decide

Last edited by trollguy; 06-29-2017 at 08:59 AM.
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #7453
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

I used the A530 on my cross bike that I used for commuting, and also on my fixie. used for 2 years. Solid intro pedal. Buy it if it suits your needs.

Comments about it being shit is because its a hybrid pedal and "uber racers / fancy pants" think its ghey

It's a ghey pedal, but works just fine. ymmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Depending on how you ride and what you use it for ... the A530 can serve its purpose. These people can't all be wrong, can they?

BikeRadar verdict 4 out of 5
"Good value multi-purpose option, especially for new-to-clipless riders"

REI Review ... 4.6 out of 5 (54 Reviews)
https://www.rei.com/product/764688/s...rt-road-pedals

Amazon Review ... 5.5 out of 6 (907 Reviews)
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-A530-.../dp/B00AAOIAQC

Chain Reaction Review 4.6 out of 5 (135 Reviews)
Shimano A530 Clipless Road Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles

Wiggle Review 4.5 out of 5 (917 Reviews)
wiggle.com | Shimano A530 SPD Single Sided Touring Pedals | Road Clip-In Pedals

JensonUSA Review 4.5 out of 5 (94 Reviews)
Shimano PD-A530 Pedals > Components > Pedals > Mountain Pedals | Jenson USA
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #7454
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
@ForbiddenX I still have a set of a530 hanging around and you can try them before you buy them if you want.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #7455
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
I was in your shoes last yr.
These were the milestones before I went full retard on cycling.

1) START with riding regular pedals.
2) Go ride 10km a day then up 5-10 every ride.
3) It wasn't until I hit 50 km that I was confident with cycling + traffic + know the roads well enough
4) once I hit 100km a ride, I then invested in a carbon bike + pedal shoes.

If you go to straight to step 4 and get shoes, that'll just be one more thing to learn and right now, you haven't even done any riding yet.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2017, 06:46 AM   #7456

Thanked 4,015 Times in 1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
@ForbiddenX I still have a set of a530 hanging around and you can try them before you buy them if you want.
Now that's bro!
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #7457
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Thanks for all the info about the pedals guys. I'll PM you ZN6 and probably will take you up on that offer :P

Where do you guys usually like to ride? I went around the stanley park seawall the other night as well as the great northern way.

Tried doing the seawall on the way to granville island from false creek... but there were a ton of people. Nearly crashed into someone swerving into the lane with a huge purse, my brakes did not fail me but i toppled over my bike

Doing about 20-25KM a night just to get used to biking again but I want to start increasing my speed and distance.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #7458
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I have a set of these Wellgo R120 on my kid towing bike that sees regular shoe and occassional clipless use. I got them because they were cheaper than A530's, and the pins on the non-clipless pedal side offer much better grip than the A530 with regular shoes, especially in the wet. They are compatible with Shimano SPD cleats FYI

As with any single sided clipless pedal, finding the cleat side when you are wanting to clip in is annoying (I only use double sided MTB clipless pedals even on my road bike). And same goes when I'm using flat shoes, finding the platform side with a pair of flipflops is annoying too.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #7459
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I have the Shimano m530 on my road bike. It's double sided so it's not annoying trying to find the clip in side and there's enough surface area for you to wear normal shoes if you wanna do short trips.

Seawall is a terrible place to get a decent ride in. Tons of people that don't know the difference between bike/walking lanes. Give the central valley greenway route a try. It's fairly flat.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #7460
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^ I use the M530 as the pedal of choice on my mountain bike. Good performance, dirt cheap, reliable. Not great to use without clipless shoes though, I'd personally prefer the 'poorly' reviewed non-clipless side of the A530 for a better platform even if it takes a couple of seconds to find the right side of the pedal.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #7461

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
Thanks for all the info about the pedals guys. I'll PM you ZN6 and probably will take you up on that offer :P

Where do you guys usually like to ride? I went around the stanley park seawall the other night as well as the great northern way.

Tried doing the seawall on the way to granville island from false creek... but there were a ton of people. Nearly crashed into someone swerving into the lane with a huge purse, my brakes did not fail me but i toppled over my bike

Doing about 20-25KM a night just to get used to biking again but I want to start increasing my speed and distance.
Ouch ... first scratch on that beautiful bike?

Yah, stay away from Seawall and especially the Seaside/False Creek route on weekends. Good intro rides:
1. Go over Cambie pedestrian/bike bridge into Richmond and do North River Road (starting from No. 6) back and forth. Ride nice, single file, and let cars go by. Too many trucks on weekdays.
2. Iona Beach is another popular one on weekend. Weekdays, lots of UPS, Fed Ex, and other trucks.
3. UBC, marine Dr., Spanish banks, Jericho beach, find your way to 16 and Imperial, around Pacific Spirit, then back on the SW Marine Dr.
4. Richmond - over Cambie ped/bike bridge, along River Road, down McCallan and onto Railway to Steveston, get some fish and chips, then East on South Dyke to No. 5, and back.

Oh and sign on to Mapmyride or Strava if you haven't already.

Last edited by whitev70r; 07-01-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #7462
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post

Hit me up, you have spd shoes though? They're a different cleat than what you have now.

Deep cove is a pretty good ride. It's relatively quiet if you go early enough.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #7463
ZN6

Nice seeing you at the populaire again this year tomatogunk. I didn't stick around since they didn't put out the watermelon this year at the end.

Also great meeting 604cefiro for the first time. I leeched on to a few groups and move up o quicker groups. Felt kinda bad that I used them just to keep on track. My garmin had errors routing the gpx file for some reason and the paper i had got all mangled up in sweat and shame.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #7464
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Hey man hope you had a great ride yesterday

I was really grumpy from the crash so I apologize if I came off rude or annoyed lol

Come out to Wednesday nights at Stanley park with Bicicletta / Pender folks 👍

Hope to see you soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
Nice seeing you at the populaire again this year tomatogunk. I didn't stick around since they didn't put out the watermelon this year at the end.

Also great meeting 604cefiro for the first time. I leeched on to a few groups and move up o quicker groups. Felt kinda bad that I used them just to keep on track. My garmin had errors routing the gpx file for some reason and the paper i had got all mangled up in sweat and shame.
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #7465
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Hey man hope you had a great ride yesterday

I was really grumpy from the crash so I apologize if I came off rude or annoyed lol

Come out to Wednesday nights at Stanley park with Bicicletta / Pender folks 👍

Hope to see you soon
No worries man, I'd be grumpy too if i had to bail on the bike. I'll come check it Wednesday! Where do you guys usually meet?

I'll probably get dropped on the descents since I'm always a bit scared and have to dab the brakes. Any tips? I lost the group after the kilgard descent when it was -6.6%. I lost about 3-4 mins cause those guys were well going over 71kph which was the top speed I hit then got kinda scared with the S turn. I had to take a wide turn as I felt the wheels were wanting to push out so hunkered down into the drops as far as possible. The climbs I can power through though and I can get back up to speed.

Aldo saw another propel and gave the guy a thumbs up.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #7466
ZN6

Getting pretty pissed off with my garmin edge now. Calibrated elevation 5-6 times now and it loses calibration in a few weeks. Lost my westwood and seymour ride too.

Anyone have this issue?

Last edited by ZN6; 07-02-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #7467
ZN6

Garmin software is fuckin' junk. I've had a few rides where everything is topped out or completely zero. This is like the least reliable thing I've ever spent money on.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #7468
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
what model?
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #7469
ZN6

Edge 820. Some people have issues v with 520 as well from what i read on bike forums. The Garmin site just tells you to go set elevation and it works for a while, then messes up again after a week. Sometimes it messes up after a few days.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #7470

Damn ... keep your head on a swivel everyone, ride safe!

Cyclist injured by motorcyclist on Vancouver's North Shore
Cyclist injured by motorcyclist on Vancouver's North Shore - British Columbia - CBC News

A cyclist has been injured by an out-of-control motorcycle on the road to Cypress Mountain Resort on Vancouver's North Shore.

West Vancouver police say the cyclist was struck by a motorcyclist who lost control of his bike headed up Cypress Bowl Road around noon on Monday.

The bike skidded on its side into the cyclist, who was riding on the side of the road.

Both were taken to hospital with minor injuries.The cyclist sustained some bruises and scrapes, and is being assessed for a possible concussion, and the motorcyclist is being assessed for an ankle injury.

The motorcyclist was issued a speeding ticket by police.

Last edited by whitev70r; 07-09-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #7471
Rs has made me the man i am today!

The saddle is surprisingly comfortable

-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #7472
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
r mechanical disc brakes that much better than caliper brakes in terms of stopping power and modulation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #7473
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
I think the short answer to your question is yes, but caliper brakes can have good stopping power and modulation as well, depending on your wheel, brake pads, caliper, and a bunch of other variables.

Some people don't like disc brakes because of the weight penalty and/or lack of compatibility/support, and fickleness of maintenance, but this has changed for the better over the years. Some people will claim it is zero-maintenance, some people will say it takes 10 seconds, while others will not touch it even with a ten-foot pole.

For ease and simplicity, I prefer caliper brakes. Get a good set of pads paired up with a good set of rims, and you're good to go. I did try a road bike with disc brakes, and as awesome as some people claim them to be, I felt that it was overkill for my style of riding.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #7474

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
rain & winter bike = disc period

Any issues, sound, friction, fickle of sand will cause hte disc to have tons of rubbing sound.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #7475
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Hey guys! I'm in search of the Felt Deep Six cruiser and I didn't have any luck finding one online from some of the local shops. Before I head into the shops in person I was wondering if there are any shops you guys recommend buying/ordering from.

Thanks in advance!
lil_kid is offline   Reply With Quote