REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #26
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

fights tend to be up close hand to hand and more often than not end up on the ground.

Boxing, Wing Chun, JuJitsu are pretty good.

I've done various martial arts, Jujitsu was really good for on the ground and submissions. Boxing and wing chun are good for fast/accurate hits.

Really... it depends most on who's teaching, and your own abilities.

I'd recommend NOT fighting at all if possible.
Advertisement
Kamui712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:40 AM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,845 Times in 8,207 Posts
Learn some BJJ. You will get mad street cred if you put a guy in a triangle during a fight!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #28

The best self defense is not looking like a sucker to begin with... your friend should've NEVER been walking at night with headphones on, that was a very dumb idea. You wouldn't walk around blind folded at night, so why would anyone walk around with basically ear plugs in? Building that street sense and always being aware of the situation you're in is going to help you a lot more then any self defense class ever will.

But for self defense, you NEED a weapon. Because it doesn't matter how much training in anything you have, if someone rushes you with a pipe, a bat, a machete or an icepick, you're done. So keep a weapon in your trunk, and if something goes down, make a run for your car (yes, run away first) and THEN decide if you want to come back. Otherwise just run and stay away safe, or if you really think it's worth it use your car as a weapon. Getting jumped on the streets is no joke, people get mangled, their faces busted over curbs, stabbed with dirty weapons, put in wheelchairs for life... don't believe you have to stay and fight, you can always run and live to fight another day.

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net

Last edited by CanadaGoose; 12-19-2009 at 07:57 AM.
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #29
Need to Seek Professional Help

well as eclypz said, learn to walk away
at my gym, tho we train muay thai, BJJ, best method, is ALWAYS the ABCs
Avoid [the problem first hand]
Breathe [relax yourself, dont' get yourself heated]
Communicate [Use your words]

following those is, if all else fails, then kick the guy's ass
but in all circumstances, it all starts with avoiding, whether it be avoiding situations where shit could occur, avoiding areas, certain gatherings, people, etc etc

besides, once you have the ability to severly hurt someone, you don't want to. for me anyway, i am a real hothead, but ever since i started training a few years ago, my temper has gone down cuz of the responsibility

like spiderman says, with great power comes great responsbility, use your spidey sense and try to bang felicia harding and mary jane at the same time
LengJai is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LengJai View Post
like spiderman says, with great power comes great responsbility, use your spidey sense and try to bang felicia harding and mary jane at the same time
Wahh~ ho leng jai, because SPIDEYSENSE is going to help you more then any martial art on the street. Avoiding getting yourself into a situation is a lot easier then trying to dig your way out of one.

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #31
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,828 Times in 2,512 Posts
just take a self defense course and boxing as stated above. self defense courses should teach you how to act, think, and avoid being a victim if possible. such as not walking around at night with headphones on, taking away a vital sense: hearing. and also when you know there's trouble you cant get out of, how to look meek and use surprise to your advantage.

and whoever said tai chi is useless, i hope that's a joke

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #32
Banned (ABWS)

jeff_alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #33
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,845 Times in 8,207 Posts
Press play
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #35
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,311 Times in 1,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k_powa View Post
spoon.ek9: Nothing in particular but I mean the flashy stuff, like some martial-arts are extremely flashy and could easily be countered.

"Sprinting" is a good idea but your SO or family member might not be as quick of a runner as you.

azzurro32: Exactly! I doubt busting an arm-bar or something of the likes is any useful during a all-out street fight. Boxing is a good suggestion or maybe kick-boxing might be good too.
if you're talking about something like wushu, then yes i agree. you're not exactly gonna do a no-hand cartwheel in a street fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
"tai gik" granny style
just because a technique is practiced slow, does not mean it's useless
you'd be surprised how many grannies and grandpas who would kick your ass
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,462 Times in 390 Posts
krav maga, hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcyrGuUnmMk

EDIT: if you get bullied, send a video explaining your problem to Mayhem from Bully Beatdown. :{D
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
I sold my Yaris 5 years ago, and seriously, IT IS better than your shit box civics. The mods I have for that car is probably worth more than your whole self-worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joreus View Post
After spending some time reading through this thread, I now know how to give a killer blowjob. Thanks revscene.

2005 richmond transportation device
nack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #37
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E N D L E S S View Post
The best self defense is not looking like a sucker to begin with... your friend should've NEVER been walking at night with headphones on, that was a very dumb idea. You wouldn't walk around blind folded at night, so why would anyone walk around with basically ear plugs in? Building that street sense and always being aware of the situation you're in is going to help you a lot more then any self defense class ever will.
It's best you don't jump to conclusions It was around 3:30-4:30pm, even in the Winter the sun would still be brightly visible. I never asked him if he had his headphones on or not, so I wouldn't jump to that conclusion as well.
s2k_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #38
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZGL-JIs3as
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #39
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
That's false. For instance my friend was walking home and he had a pair of earphones on, they weren't even white or ipod ones. The guys kicked the shit outta him and jacked him up. I'm sure he didn't provoke them or anything cause hes one of the nicest guys I know.
Quote:
It's best you don't jump to conclusions It was around 3:30-4:30pm, even in the Winter the sun would still be brightly visible. I never asked him if he had his headphones on or not, so I wouldn't jump to that conclusion as well.
Why wouldn't he assume that his headphone were on considering YOU were the one that said they were in the first place
GFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #40
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFunk View Post
Why wouldn't he assume that his headphone were on considering YOU were the one that said they were in the first place
Ooo I can see how that can be miss-interpreted. My bad, but I'm not sure if he had them on or took them off when he was walking or when he just got off the bus. better?
s2k_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #41
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,694 Posts
In my opinion, people should learn/train martial arts because to stay fit and for the enjoyment of learning the martial art.

It can be used for self defense, but probably best if you would never have to use it outside of an official event.

Too many factors take place in a street fight for any martial arts to really be practical.
And if you get jumped by a few guys... chances are, you wouldn't stand a chance anyway.

Real Life is not like Ong Bak and Jackie Chan movies.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #42
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
I've heard there's Krav Maga training in downtown Vancouver. Always thought about trying it but I would prefer to go with a friend and none of mine are interested.
There is,I think 2-3 places that teach it,but I want to learn it from this particular instructor in L.A.He is one of the best in the world when it comes to Krav Maga.You should just go yourself,you will quickly make new friends while your learning.

To OP,never carry a weapon on you if you don't know how to use it,especially if your being confronted.The last thing you want to happen is have the weapon being taken away from you and used against you by the attacker.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #43
Banned (BBM)

Like what endless said, use a weapon. go to canadian tires and buy urself a can of bearmace and use it when u feal threaten
kangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #44
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
hehe..bas rutten

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #45
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
I've heard there's Krav Maga training in downtown Vancouver. Always thought about trying it but I would prefer to go with a friend and none of mine are interested.

To OP: Best self-defense technique to learn would be sprinting. Being able to quickly avoid a fight is the best self-defense.
Msg 7seven.

He has krav maga training and will be able to point you in the right direction.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #46
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
fitness world offers Krav Maga, but don't go there..lol

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #47

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I can beat up everyone, I have no fear. hahaha
Old 12-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #48
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclypz View Post
Just learn to walk away...it's more effective.

Knowing how to fight gets you into more trouble than you know. It's always in the back of your mind that "I'm probably more trained than this guy...let's put my 3 years fighting training to use". Trained fighters don't walk away from fights....an untrained person will, and it's almost always the better decision.

And all it takes is for the guy to pull weapon on you....game over.
I tend to disagree in my own case anyways, Ive had 9 yrs of training in muay thai and a 7 years in bjj. For myself, knowing how to fight and what I CAN do the person has stopped me from fighting adn also the training helps you calm down and attempt to talk it out first.

I believe the ones who don't know how to fight would be the ones actually scrapping it out because they have something to prove whether to themselves or others. Ones who train extensively for a long tend not to fight unless absolutely forced to.
dimsum119 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #49
Certified Troll: Access Removed

learn sanshou
notching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #50

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimsum119 View Post
I tend to disagree in my own case anyways, Ive had 9 yrs of training in muay thai and a 7 years in bjj. For myself, knowing how to fight and what I CAN do the person has stopped me from fighting adn also the training helps you calm down and attempt to talk it out first.

I believe the ones who don't know how to fight would be the ones actually scrapping it out because they have something to prove whether to themselves or others. Ones who train extensively for a long tend not to fight unless absolutely forced to.
I agree with this. It teaches you discipline and self control. All that matters is that YOU know what you can do to the guy.