REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Street Fighting and Self-Defense

I know the demographic of RS tends to be a little childish with these types of topics but it's an honest question, so could we please keep it on topic?

I would like to know is there a type of martial-arts, like MMA, muay-thai, kick boxing or boxing that would be best to learn/have the knowledge of during a street fight? I'm not asking this cause I want to start shit but it's just to protect myself as you know people these days kids loves to start shit for no reason and it's better to know how to protect yourself/self-defense then to rely on someone there to help you.

I know that some forms of martial-arts are pretty much useless in a street fight, I also know that anything goes during a street-fight, like weapons and what-not.

Mods feel free to move this to Sports section but I thought this topic should be better suited in OT.
Advertisement

Last edited by s2k_powa; 12-18-2009 at 05:15 PM.
s2k_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Neither of those.

On the streets, you fight to kill.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Certified Troll: Access Removed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu0rMM0iV7A
notching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
I considered taking mma lessons over summer with this exact intent in mind, plus interest in the sport as well.

However, when it comes to real life and practicality in a street fight, I figured you bshould just use any weapon you can in order to give yourslef the advantage. A baseball bat should theoretically always be better in a street fight than a fighting technique, unless he's a ninja of course.
Posted via RS Mobile
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Just learn to walk away...it's more effective.

Knowing how to fight gets you into more trouble than you know. It's always in the back of your mind that "I'm probably more trained than this guy...let's put my 3 years fighting training to use". Trained fighters don't walk away from fights....an untrained person will, and it's almost always the better decision.

And all it takes is for the guy to pull weapon on you....game over.
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

^wat if he is being cornered?then u cant walk away and must fight
Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shead View Post
^wat if he is being cornered?then u cant walk away and must fight
How often is some random guy going to corner you to fight you for no reason?
When push comes to shove, you'll defend yourself, whether you had any training or not.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

kick the guy in the balls and run like hell.
u do whatever u can to get out of the danger
fishing666 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclypz View Post
then he probably did something to deserve it. People don't hurt each other for no reason. And you don't have to be trained to defend yourself. When push comes to shove, you'll defend yourself, whether you had any training or not.
That's false. For instance my friend was walking home and he had a pair of earphones on, they weren't even white or ipod ones. The guys kicked the shit outta him and jacked him up. I'm sure he didn't provoke them or anything cause hes one of the nicest guys I know.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

touche.
Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k_powa View Post
That's false. For instance my friend was walking home and he had a pair of earphones on, they weren't even white or ipod ones. The guys kicked the shit outta him and jacked him up. I'm sure he didn't provoke them or anything cause hes one of the nicest guys I know.
he got blind sided....unless your training gave you eyes on the back of your head, you wouldn't have seen it coming regardless.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #12
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,279 Times in 1,634 Posts
Quote:
I know the demographic of RS tends to be a little childish with these types of topics but it's an honest question, so could we please keep it on topic?

I would like to know is there a type of martial-arts, like MMA, muay-thai, kick boxing or boxing that would be best to learn/have the knowledge of during a street fight? I'm not asking this cause I want to start shit but it's just to protect myself as you know people these days kids loves to start shit for no reason and it's better to know how to protect yourself/self-defense then to rely on someone there to help you.

I know that some forms of martial-arts are pretty much useless in a street fight, I also know that anything goes during a street-fight, like weapons and what-not.

Mods feel free to move this to Sports section but I thought this topic should be better suited in OT.

out of curiosity, which types of martial arts do you think are useless in a fight?
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #13

btw, just to clarify something. I have nothing against training so long as its for the right reasons. I have seen too many of my friends go this route to "protect themselves" and end up being the aggressor, because they know they can kick everybody's ass. (some do it for the art...some do it to stay fit, etc)

To an extent, this is no different than saying "I'm going to buy a gun to protect myself against all the others with guns out there"
Old 12-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,279 Times in 1,634 Posts
it's never a bad idea to learn how to protect yourself. when and why you use that knowledge is up to you.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #15
NSX
NA1

There are too many variables in a street fight. Thing is, when youre fighting on the streets, there are no rules, and where there are no rules, its fighting for survival. You never know what the other person is going to do. If a guy pulls out a machete, no type or style of martial arts will save you. (perfect example is that thead where the cop got slashed.) Weapons, size, speed, Number of people, cheap shots, blindside, jump from behind, etc...all comes into play. People take whatever advantage they can get...not to win, but to survive.

Best suggestion here is actually from Eclypse. Walk away, use your communication skills, and just give up your pride and whatever material they want from you.

Having said that, the best type of martial arts is something that will stop your opponent quick and fast, not the bestlooking....perhaps one that involves kicking the nuts, gouging the eyes, pressure points, and breaking small joints.

Heres a vid. Seems silly, but a lot of truth in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHFPzNrkKQ0
NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #16
I bringith the lowerballerith

Next summer,I plan on taking a trip down to L.A for a few weeks to learn krav Maga from a former Israeli spec-ops insctructor that has a training studio down there.He trains LAPD officers and prison gaurds and anyone else who wants to learn.

Currently I have been trained in Filipino knife fighting,it's a pretty brutal form of martial arts if your the guy on the recieving end.

I have walked away from many fights,I do not feel like fighting anyone and risk getting hurt.The worst part of a fight is,what if the guy your fighting has Hepatitus C or AIDS?
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #17
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Your friend should never be walking alone at night with headphones on.

The only time I walk at night with my ipod with headphones on,is when I'm out walking the dog,I can get away with it cause I have a pitbull right beside me.Other than that,I won't walk at night with headphones on......ever.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
Your friend should never be walking alone at night with headphones on.

The only time I walk at night with my ipod with headphones on,is when I'm out walking the dog,I can get away with it cause I have a pitbull right beside me.Other than that,I won't walk at night with headphones on......ever.
EAST VAN. HARDCORE.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #19
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
out of curiosity, which types of martial arts do you think are useless in a fight?
"tai gik" granny style
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #20
Get Money, Get Paid

Thanked 1,264 Times in 262 Posts
you mean tai chi?

Anyways, if you're getting jacked, best is to give up whatever it is. You can be a man and fight but if the dude has a gat under his shirt, game over..all for an ipod.

However, if you're in a backyard streetfight and you know you're throwing down with another dude, thats different. Thats why Kimbo never got stabbed
Volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
Next summer,I plan on taking a trip down to L.A for a few weeks to learn krav Maga from a former Israeli spec-ops insctructor that has a training studio down there.He trains LAPD officers and prison gaurds and anyone else who wants to learn.
I've heard there's Krav Maga training in downtown Vancouver. Always thought about trying it but I would prefer to go with a friend and none of mine are interested.

To OP: Best self-defense technique to learn would be sprinting. Being able to quickly avoid a fight is the best self-defense.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

To answer your question I would say boxing. Be logical, you aren't going to bust an armbar during a street fight. I've thought about Steven segals style, but that looks much easier in the movies, and you need years to pull off a move like that fluently.

So take boxing, get in shape and learn to throw precise strong punches if your not gonna walk away.
Posted via RS Mobile
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:01 AM   #23
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

spoon.ek9: Nothing in particular but I mean the flashy stuff, like some martial-arts are extremely flashy and could easily be countered.

"Sprinting" is a good idea but your SO or family member might not be as quick of a runner as you.

azzurro32: Exactly! I doubt busting an arm-bar or something of the likes is any useful during a all-out street fight. Boxing is a good suggestion or maybe kick-boxing might be good too.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:28 AM   #24
x_x

just makes it look too easy...

jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:29 AM   #25
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

kick him in the shins
or palm him in the nose.

that usually gets the job done.

although i've never done both so...
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote