REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #326
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,575 Times in 2,277 Posts
10 seconds wonder how much that costed to lol
Advertisement
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #327
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

MSN Tracking Image
MSNBC.com

Fox, Conan need to set rules if he joins network
Both will need the same vision, flexibility and more for a successful deal
By Josef Adalian
TheWrap.com
updated 11:08 a.m. PT, Mon., Feb. 8, 2010

After weeks of flirting, Fox and Conan O'Brien are about to take their relationship to the next level.

Nobody from the network or Team Coco will talk about it openly, but it's clear both camps have begun doing their respective due diligence as they try to figure out how a deal might be hammered out to bring O'Brien to Fox. Given the desire to get a show launched by January at the latest, industry insiders believe it's now a matter of days or weeks (not months) before formal conversations begin.

To make Conan on Fox a reality, however, everyone involved will have to eschew the dynamics of past network deals for late-night talent. This dance won't be about a big star demanding monster amounts of money for his services (CBS-Letterman), nor will it be a case of a network rolling the dice on a largely unproven figure in the hope that the investment will eventually pay off (ABC-Kimmel).

Instead, if Coco is to find a home on Fox, both parties need to act as if they're launching a business together — with shared risk and mutual reward. That means managing expectations, committing to a long-term plan and figuring out a way to ensure nobody gets soaked if the whole venture simply doesn't click with viewers.

It will also require a greenlight from News Corp. chief Rupert Murdoch, who last week made it clear that he's very open to the idea.

"Certainly if the program people can show us that we could do it, and be fairly confident of making a profit on it, we'd do it in a flash," Murdoch said during a earnings conference call. "We're giving it a lot of thought and a lot of examination."

Beyond generalities, both sides are starting to clam up about the matter. Even in off the record conversations, people from both Fox and the O'Brien camp are suddently hesitant to talk about what's next or possible game plans.

That's a good sign. The NBC-Conan divorce was a messy spectacle because both parties lost faith in each other and decided there was little to lose by lobbing grenades at each other via the media.

(Msnbc.com is a joint venture between Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

If Fox and Conan are going to get together, all parties need to agree to not posture in the press — or in private — and instead focus on whether a mutually beneficial deal can be struck.

Other ground rules for a successful marriage, based on conversations with numerous people familiar with the late-night landscape:

— Everyone needs to realize The Coco Show will start out more like a syndicated series than a network show. That's because some affiliates simply aren't going to want to give up their current profits to take a chance on running O'Brien at 11, after their 10 p.m. newcasts. And Fox probably isn't in the mood to start making too many concessions to affiliates in order to get them on board.

As a result, it's quite possible that O'Brien on Fox would launch with far less than full national clearance at 11 p.m. Some stations will delay it until 11:30 p.m. or midnight, if they carry it all.

That means....

— Fox and Conan must be partners, both sharing the same long-term vision. Any deal needs to be structured with maximum flexibility, ensuring that if things don't go as well as hoped — clearances lag, ratings don't immediately spark — Fox doesn't take a bath.

NBC insiders have said the network was paying in the neighborhood of $1.5 million per week, all-in, for O'Brien's "Tonight Show." Fox and Coco will need to get creative in order to figure out how to reduce that sum to account for the lower ad revenues a new show would generate at the start.

It's worth noting that O'Brien never shied away from helping NBC turn a profit, agreeing to shill for the likes of Intel and other Peacock sponsors in order to generate additional revenue streams. So maybe "The Conan O'Brien Hour" will originate live from the Facebook Theater, or Max Weinberg will head up the iPad Orchestra. We're also pretty sure Andy Richter would be willing to have a sponsor's name tattooed on him if need be.

It also goes without saying, then, that...

— It can't be about a big paycheck for Coco. Nobody expects O'Brien to work for free, but he'll almost certainly have to take a pay cut in order to make a Fox deal work. The mega-coin offered to other one-named talents — Dave, Katie, Simon, Seth — simply isn't going to be on the table, at least not in the front-end of any agreement.

This shouldn't be a problem. Forget about the $30 million or so O'Brien just got from NBC. "This has never been about money for Conan," one Coco insider said weeks ago when O'Brien's reps were deciding how to extract him from his Peacock deal.

Indeed, just as Jay Leno makes a point of not even spending his NBC coin, O'Brien long ago stopped worrying about cash flow and started focusing on what his TV legacy would be. He needs to make sure his reps, WME and Gavin Polone, check their natural blood-from-stone instincts.

And yet...

— In return for flexibility, Fox will likely need to ensure some upside for O'Brien in success.

Team Coco is represented by some of the shrewdest sharks in the agency and management world, and they're not going to make a sucker deal for a talent who's proven in recent weeks to be a man with a loyal core of fans who'd follow him to any number of cable networks.

Whether this means a bigger payday the longer the show survives, or a Letterman-like package where O'Brien owns his own show is unclear.

But however it's structured, Fox can't be seen trying to take advantage of its biggest bit of leverage — namely, that it's the only broadcast network apparently available to make a deal with O'Brien.

Finally, the biggest requirement for a deal between Fox and O'Brien will be....

— Managing expectations across the board.

Here's the reality: Coco on Fox isn't going to beat Dave and Jay out of the gate, particularly if the show isn't cleared in pattern by all Fox stations and affiliates. Fox knows that, but it needs to make sure O'Brien knows it knows that.

Having suffered the humiliation of being ousted by the network that raised him, O'Brien is unlikely to jump into any new deal that doesn't give him some guarantee of at least one or two years to make his mark, no matter what the early ratings.

The network also needs to figure out how to school both affiliates and the media about what success means for Conan on Fox.

NBC did a masterful job setting a low bar for "The Jay Leno Show," telegraphing months ahead of time that it expected ratings for the series to be tiny relative to scripted fare. But it said that would be OK, given the money it would save.

What NBC never anticipated — at least not publicly — was how bad Jay ratings would hurt affiliates. Or how the 10 p.m. strategy made it harder for the network to develop much-needed new scripted hits since it had fewer primetime at-bats.

Fox ought to be transparent about its ratings expectations, the cost of production for the Conan show and how it plans to make a profit. That way, if the numbers aren't so hot in the beginning, there won't be a drumbeat of stories declaring the series a disappointment (or worse).

Some media observers last week seized on Murdoch's mention of "profit" as the critical word in his comments about O'Brien, noting the very real obstacles in the way of a quick and easy transition from NBC to Fox.

And indeed, there are voices inside Fox who don't quite get why the network would want to take the plunge into late night, a daypart that's delivered it little but pain over 20 years (think Joan Rivers and Chevy Chase). Fox-owned stations already make a tidy profit airing repeats of News Corp.-owned properties such as "The Simpsons," and some Fox affiliates aren't keen on the idea of handing over more ad revenue to the network.

What's more, Fox would be entering the late-night game at a time when many viewers seemed to have moved on from the idea of going to bed with the likes of Jay and Dave and Coco. Many folks have opted against after-hours monogamy, playing around with whatever's left on their DVRs or checking out the myriad of options on cable.

All valid points, of course.

But the Ben Silverman-Jeff Zucker theory of retreating from bold moves in order to "manage for margins" had a cold logic to it as well — and look how well that turned out for NBC.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35298707...t-television//

MSN Privacy . Legal
2010 MSNBC.com
Old 02-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #328
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,191 Times in 3,797 Posts
lol that superbowl ad was awesome!

and i hope Conan doesn't go to FOX... i can just imagine how they're going to make him a right-wing political nutjob :/
i hope conans balls are strong enough to keep that from happening though
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #329
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 5,999 Times in 1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
and i hope Conan doesn't go to FOX... i can just imagine how they're going to make him a right-wing political nutjob :/
i hope conans balls are strong enough to keep that from happening though
Fox News =/= Fox.

Have you seen Family Guy? The least right-wing show ever.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #330
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,191 Times in 3,797 Posts
i know, its been odd how different their shows have been

but given this isnt going to be a sitcom or animation

and is going to deal with politics (monologue) i hope it doesnt get the fox news treatment
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #331
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Conan will be performing at the Orpheum April 13th, dubbed the Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television Tour Anyone else grab their tickets yet?
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #332

Woohoo grabbed it! 2nd row lower balcony, right near the aisle! $80 a pop.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 03-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #333
Banned By Establishment

SOOO wanna go but i can't afford $200 >_<
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #334
(╯□)╯聽不到 ╮(□╮)

Thanked 11,150 Times in 2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shun Izaki View Post
SOOO wanna go but i can't afford $200 >_<
its 60/80/100 for seats
guess u have a date?
SNAP!
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #335
RS.net PIMP

or you can go for the meet and greet with Conan package for $695! lol
Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #336
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Grabbed 4 tickets to the show

Will be good
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #337

What seats did you guys get?

Last edited by stuff99; 03-11-2010 at 03:52 PM.
stuff99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #338
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 4,915 Times in 1,475 Posts
oh wow, i should get tickets for this!
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #339
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
cant wait!

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #340

Heads up, first show sold out, but a second show added in Vancouver the day after
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #341
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
guess u have a date?

thats too funny.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #342
RS.net PIMP

haha I have a buddy thats thinking about wearing a Leno mask to the show just to see peoples reaction.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #343
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Ugh Toronto was sold out pretty much right away, and I've just spent the last 2 lectures refreshing twitter to see if they can find another venue here
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #344
My homepage has been set to RS

Woohoo got tix to the 2nd show
DsZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #345
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

friend got me tickets to the first show
lacubrious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #346
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,744 Times in 989 Posts
got tickets to the 14th =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #347
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,368 Times in 4,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
got tickets to the 14th =)
Same. No time to see if the GF wanted to go but got tix for L Orchestra

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #348

I'm selling my April 13 (orchestra level) tickets cause I get better seats for the April 14th show.

Anyone interested?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #349
(╯□)╯聽不到 ╮(□╮)

Thanked 11,150 Times in 2,243 Posts
got tix to 2nd show woohoo!
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #350
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

its gonna be awesome!

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!