REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Conan O'Brien "quits" The Tonight Show (https://www.revscene.net/forums/602463-conan-obrien-quits-tonight-show.html)

dub.g 01-12-2010 12:45 PM

Conan O'Brien "quits" The Tonight Show

well not make it officially quit, but Conan has said he will not be part in moving Tonight Show to its 12:05 slot

Quote:

Conan O'Brien released a statement announcing he will not participate in NBC's decision to push The Tonight Show to 12:05 a.m. in order to accommodate a half-hour Jay Leno show at 11:35:

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.
Somewhere Jimmy Fallon just came.

NOTE: For those of you following this debacle religiously, Deus Ex Malcontent has an awesome audio clip of Patton Oswalt summing up why Jay Leno is a cash-hungry prick. And Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter lays out a detailed plan for NBC to pull its head of its peacock ass.

Conan O'Brien's Statement:

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan
http://thesuperficial.com/2010/01/br...n_turns_do.php

Quote:

Conan O'Brien wants nothing to do with the "destruction" of "The Tonight Show" -- and in a cryptic new letter, insinuates he's rather leave NBC than move to a new time slot.

O'Brien just released a candid letter to the "People of Earth," in which he addresses his "personal disappointment" in losing the show. Conan adds, "The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't The Tonight Show."

Conan also rips NBC, claiming the network promised him the opportunity to build a lasting audience, but "sadly, we were never given that chance."

He also reveals that he has not received an offer to work for another network.

But if you read the last line carefully, O'Brien hints at his desire to work for another network saying, "My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work."
http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/12/conan-...-work-for-nbc/

give Conan more respect, as much as i like Leno, this was Conan's time to shine, NBC didnt even give him time to build a new Tonight Show franchise.

so why is Jimmy Fallon still have a job?

Jsunu 01-12-2010 12:51 PM

apparently the jay leno show was part of the problem, iirc its low ratings created a domino effect for local news and the late shows in general (the low ratings were expected but not the large effect on the rest of the NBC programming).

trip 01-12-2010 12:54 PM

i hate jimmy falon

conans a class act though but to be honest. i never catch him on at 1130 and i never catch jays show either

instead i end up with fucking jimmy falon

Vansterdam 01-12-2010 01:01 PM

jimmy falon fail. i still liek all 3 though. conan,leno, AND KIMMEL!

trip 01-12-2010 01:02 PM

wait wait wait

what will happen to carson daily and the last call??

oh right

no one cares

LOL

Domani 01-12-2010 01:19 PM

good for Conan for standing up for his crew.

Jsunu 01-12-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip (Post 6766884)
wait wait wait

what will happen to carson daily and the last call??

oh right

no one cares

LOL

lol, last time i saw it, it had turned into a weird docutainment show

StealthFighter 01-12-2010 01:38 PM

as much as i admire leno for being a huge car nut. he should have just stepped aside. maybe it was the money for leno.

Conan is funnier than any other late night talk show host. kimmel is second. I hope he shows up on another network.

stuff99 01-12-2010 01:51 PM

Leno's never been about the money but I think he enjoys working.

I totally lost respect for Leno.

Letterman was right to be a bitter old man all these years.

I'm a big Conan fan and to see this happen to him sucks.

Here's Letterman's advice for NBC haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN6Q2YFFteQ

raygunpk 01-12-2010 01:59 PM

i love conan. i feel his show got cut back on content a little after his "promotion". the demographics of leno and conan are just so different too.
craig ferguson is funny, anybody ever watch him?

azzurro32 01-12-2010 02:05 PM

Props to him for standing his ground. I'm a leno fan so works out for me
Posted via RS Mobile

SaviorSelf_666 01-12-2010 02:08 PM

I perfer conan over anyone! Wow and I really just did set my DVR to record him last night too!

3seriesBeeM 01-12-2010 02:11 PM

I rarely watch any of these but when I do catch them i like lenos show better than conans. I have never watched carson daily so i do not know, and I also do not like fallon.

dub.g 01-12-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

'The Tonight Show' with Jay Leno ... The Sequel
Jay Leno will get his one-hour show back, and it will be called "The Tonight Show".... sources tell TMZ.

We're told NBC honchos still have to sit down with Jay's rep and put the finishing touches on a new deal, but NBC has signed off on the plan if Conan O'Brien leaves ... and Conan has made it clear that he's leaving the network, and not on good terms.

O'Brien took several cheap shots at Leno in his blistering letter, denigrating Leno's show as a "comedy program."

Sources tell TMZ Jay and Conan have not spoken with each other since NBC announced the switch.

It's looking increasingly like Conan may be making a deal with Fox for a late night show from 11:00 PM to midnight.
http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/12/the-to...levision-deal/

Eastwood 01-12-2010 02:41 PM

Conan is the tits. Where is his show going to go now...

Jsunu 01-12-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub.g (Post 6766988)

Wait so what was all this bullshit about passing the torch and "retiring". Now Jay is back on his old job and we lost Conan and replaced him with..... JIMMY FALON!!?!!? shit...

sonick 01-12-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsunu (Post 6767003)
Wait so what was all this bullshit about passing the torch and "retiring". Now Jay is back on his old job and we lost Conan and replaced him with..... JIMMY FALON!!?!!? shit...

I'd suggest taking TMZ's reports with a grain of salt.

akalic 01-12-2010 02:51 PM

werd.

1. who passes the torch and then takes it back..SERIOUSLY, leno is overrated anyways
2. i've chuckled more watching two and a half men than jimmy falon, no joke

my two cents

Kamui712 01-12-2010 02:53 PM

the music guy w/the sunglasses is annoying, he repeats the last 2 words of everything letterman says

Jsunu 01-12-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6767007)
I'd suggest taking TMZ's reports with a grain of salt.

Oh i do, but if he does leave it would make the most sense to give jay back his show, that or leave it the jay leno show and destroy the tonight show name forever.

trip 01-12-2010 02:59 PM

im pretty sure jay leno and nbc will now lose alot of viewers

+1 here

dub.g 01-12-2010 03:00 PM

iv actually been following this whole Leno/NBC/Conan ordeal for the past week and half on TMZ and everything they have posted is true..

Didnt actually think NBC would give Conan the offer of take the 12:05 slot or leave....

hope Fox treats Conan right, because thats one network i really have no respect to, they cancelled alot of shows too early..

akalic 01-12-2010 03:00 PM

or...just push leno somewhere else.
i think conan made it clear (if you actually read the article) that he had no intentions of leaving but given the circumstances he would stand by his word and have to leave and go to another company.

Jsunu 01-12-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akalic (Post 6767019)
or...just push leno somewhere else.
i think conan made it clear (if you actually read the article) that he had no intentions of leaving but given the circumstances he would stand by his word and have to leave and go to another company.

Honestly I would think they would much rather keep Leno because he does has a larger appeal (even though i much prefer Conan. Really, I would think the execs at NBC WANTED Conan to leave so that they would return the late night shows to the status Quo.

But this is all speculation on my part.

drunkrussian 01-12-2010 03:32 PM

fucking tmz took a polite fair letter by conan and made him sound like he's "ripping" leno?

but anyway, imo leno is a good guy, but his jokes are cheesy and lame, his interviews are good but not as fun as conans and his skits and "variety" portions of the show don't come close to matching up to conans. I'd honestly rather see some sorta funny car-themed show hosted by leno on nbc instead :-p