REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Olympic security

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...screening.html

Coles: airport style security expected at all venues.

I don't know how they expect to pull this off. Consider this:

Hockey games are at: 12:00, 4:30, 9:00.
Hockey games are typically 3.5 hours long.
That leaves ~1 hour to get everyone out, and everyone in.

How can I sit in 2 hours of security and still see the game? Are they going to corral us outside the stadium waiting to get in?

Moreso, how am I going to see back-to-back games?
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Its going to be a mess

and CBS news (american btw) was saying our Security is the most costly EVER @ 900million ???!!!

like wtf.....
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

This year's Olympics is very strict. No liquids and no knives of any sort at all (even pocket knives). You will be asked to abandon it or come back without it. I work for GSS and I'm trained as a x-ray screener. Our goal is to get 200-250 people screened at every xray+mag per hour and there's ususally 2-5 xrays at every portal. Bigger venues like Stadium will also have multiple portal entrances. The guy on the left is actually one of my co-workers.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H.C View Post
This year's Olympics is very strict. No liquids and no knives of any sort at all (even pocket knives). You will be asked to abandon it or come back without it. I work for GSS and I'm trained as a x-ray screener. Our goal is to get 200-250 people screened at every xray+mag per hour and there's ususally 2-5 xrays at every portal. Bigger venues like Stadium will also have multiple portal entrances. The guy on the left is actually one of my co-workers.
8 gates x 5 xrays x 250 == 10,000
Canada place seating: ~20,000

Thus at best you're predicting 2 hours.
This just isn't going to work for that many hockey games.

Can you address my concern above: with only 1 hour between games, and 2 hours required to screen everyone, are they going to corral screened fans? if so, where?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
8 gates x 5 xrays x 250 == 10,000
Canada place seating: ~20,000

Thus at best you're predicting 2 hours.
This just isn't going to work for that many hockey games.

Can you address my concern above: with only 1 hour between games, and 2 hours required to screen everyone, are they going to corral screened fans? if so, where?

I don't work at a specific venue, so I can't tell you how that's going to work. However, I do know for bigger(more populated events) additional screening teams will be deployed to speed up the process. As well, express portals may be set up for people without bags to xray so that hopefully will really speed things up. As long as you stay in the venue, you do not need to be rescreened. I hope that helps.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Hockey games aren't 3.5 hours long, more like 2.5
danny_d19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_d19 View Post
Hockey games aren't 3.5 hours long, more like 2.5
When you watch on TV, sure. Skip skate/anthem, click, sitdown, watch, click, skip 3 stars.

At the stadium you want to be there early to watch the players skate, the anthem, have some time to get drinks/food before the game, watch the game, stick around for the 3 stars - then negotiate the crowd out.

That's easily 3.5hrs if you're lucky, and now Vanoc wants to add another 2 hours to it.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Its going to be a mess

and CBS news (american btw) was saying our Security is the most costly EVER @ 900million ???!!!

like wtf.....
olympics during the recession in a north american country, at a time when terrorists...scratch that, everyone...hates north america cause of the u.s.

I'm glad they spent a lot on security...
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Why are flags of non participating Countries considered prohibited? I wouldn't carry a flag of one but I can't see any good reason to not allow them. There total gestapo, next we'll be asked to board trains and spend the Olympics at camps.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Why are flags of non participating Countries considered prohibited?
Where does it say that? I plan on bringing a Canada flag to every hockey game, even if Canada is not playing.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #11

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Where does it say that? I plan on bringing a Canada flag to every hockey game, even if Canada is not playing.
I heard it on the radio, I think they mean Countries not taking part in the Winter Olympics but I still think it's retarded. If people want to support their Country whether participating or not they should be allowed to IMO.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
There has to be a fine line between security and enjoyment and I think VANOC has erred on the side of security. Unless CSIS, RCMP, etc. know something we can't possibly surmise, the money spent on security seems to have been overkill.

I would be concerned about that 2 tonnes (or whatever it was) of ammonium nitrate that went 'missing' earlier in the fall.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

probably more workers and machines will be available. i dont think they woud spend 900mil and not think of these problems OP mentioned.
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #14

Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
There has to be a fine line between security and enjoyment and I think VANOC has erred on the side of security. Unless CSIS, RCMP, etc. know something we can't possibly surmise, the money spent on security seems to have been overkill.

I would be concerned about that 2 tonnes (or whatever it was) of ammonium nitrate that went 'missing' earlier in the fall.
It was a clerical error - the ammonium nitrate has been accounted for.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...cal-error.html
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
so I guess I can't bring my leatherman around to games eh.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
i think they city should really enforce the security when Canada is playing the gold medal game ...hahahaha

especially Surrey, fans go nuts over there :P
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsimi1004 View Post
probably more workers and machines will be available. i dont think they woud spend 900mil and not think of these problems OP mentioned.
This is the Canadian government, its perfectly reasonable to expect they will f*** this up.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Its going to be a mess

like wtf.....
Unfortunately they'll need to spend more, there are still a few holes in security that I have voiced concerns with to the Integrated Security Unit. I have a few clients coming in that I'm co-ordinating private security for, some are even at hotels where heads of state and dignitaries are staying at and amazingly there are still going to be a few areas of concern at these venues, hopefully these are dealt with by games time.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

I'm also an Xray operator, I'm up in Whistler right now. Don't have a schedule yet, still waiting on it. If you're curious, I will constantly upload pictures to my Flickr Set -->copy & paste this
Code:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwu/sets/72157623332371230/
and blog about it on my tumblr.

Living in this right now...5star hotel yo.

As for this heightened security.. yea it's a lot, but I'm not complaining, the pay is good.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #20
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dub View Post
As for this heightened security.. yea it's a lot, but I'm not complaining, the pay is good.
Give me some of my tax money back !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #21
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It was a clerical error - the ammonium nitrate has been accounted for.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...cal-error.html
It's still missing

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

http://www2.canada.com/northshorenew...b-23e67aa208d1
stealth604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #22
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ooops... thats fucked up
Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #23
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

i'm planning to watch the games @ home. NOT gonna use public transit cuz it's one of the prime targets if terrorists do strike

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H.C View Post
dude i'm a screener with gss xray ppl have it easy u get tons of breaks lol. Anyways its going to be pretty chaotic during game time. from what i can see most of the money were spend on hiring MORE AND MORE ppl, I went to all my trainings already although i feel confident comes my first shift i know many that are still shaky on the procedures and my xray frd didn't even get to touch the xray machine during training and her first shift is already coming up next week lol.

anyways too ppl coming to the watch the games live, please check to see the list of prohibited items, don't bring unretractable umbralla, don't bring flag pole stick the whats allow and hopefully we can make it a smooth and fast process.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #25
Banned (BBM)

waste of money
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote