REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #26
Banned (BBM)

good to see there are protesters
Advertisement
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Sure the money towards the Olympics could have been better used to strengthen out infrastructure etc. but if you put billions of dollars into homelessness you think that solves the problem? in 10 years there would be 30 times the homeless because they see a free meal ticket in Vancouver
You hit it right on the ball here.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #28
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,528 Times in 4,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eFx[A2C] View Post
The olympics brought us some infrastructure that we could use after the olympics are done with. The government has thrown A LOT of money into the Dtes and it didn't fix anything.
That's because the government doesn't know how to fix the problem. Politicians are so messed up. Money rarely gets into the hands of the people who need it - programs that don't work and hiring consultants.

Similar to how governments deal with the First Nations people. Throw money and the chiefs get rich, not the indians.

How does one find the chief of an indian reserve? Look for the house that is 5 times bigger and has three new cars parked in the driveway.

Every child in this country with a native background (1/16th native or more), gets funding from the federal government. This is on top of what other students get. This money is spent on hiring social workers to go around teaching these kids how to make bannock and suncatchers. Once in a while the money is spent on bringing in an artist to show the kids how to carve wood.

The government doesn't care how the money gets spent. All the politicians care about is that money was thrown at the people and that means they tried. It keeps the opposition party quiet.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #29
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

The time to protest would've been before we got the games. It's too late now, they're going to happen whether you like it or not so enjoy it or ignore it, just don't ruin it for others. I'm not an olympic supporter but I'm not going to go ruin it for others. I'll be on a plane to Hawaii for 2 weeks tomorrow. Mother nature and El Nino will take care of the games.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
Anybody hear about these, apparently there are a bunch of Olympic protests going on during the week.
http://www.straight.com/vancouver/ca...-2010-olympics
To sum it up, it's just a bunch of poor assholes complaining about how the Olympic money could have been spent on them instead.....kinda tempted to give these people a little egging
I've been listening to the bitch organizing all this, flapping her jaw on the radio all day (well, the same flap, just repeated every newscast)... saying how she isn't encouraging violence, but she "could understand" if someone were to try to grab the torch away from a torchbearer...

Now I'm not really a violent person, but if I was the torchbearer in question, I'd be severely tempted to see how robust it is when used as a club.

Of course, it would be terrible to see a protester try to grab the thing and be set on fire by it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #31
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I've been listening to the bitch organizing all this, flapping her jaw on the radio all day
She's not a bitch. She's a c*nt. It's all about her. She gets her 15 minutes of fame. For all the wrong reasons. She has no clue. Anyway.............

Old 02-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #32

Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Buddy, you're late for the party. Again. What you're saying has been said before. We get it. It's too late. Just like the HST. It's too late. But protesting, no matter how stupid or useless does bring to light, the issues. There's a chance that in the future, organizers of such events will think more about shit.
The opposition should have channeled their displeasure into a political force. The NDP is eerily silent and has been for quite some time...

Quote:
It's been how many years since the announcement that the Olympics were coming here? The organizers had enough time to do something creative to address the issues with the homeless. They couldn't come up with much of anything. A lot of these people today may not have expressed their feelings so much if steps were taken to address the issue. Of course, there will always be some who will never be satisfied. But............
Well, it's tough politically to give the homeless free or severely below-market housing in the DTES which is the last undeveloped/un-gentrified neighbourhood in the downtown core. It would have also been extremely difficult to 'ship' the homeless out to the suburbs or out of province. Seven years to deal with the problem seems like it was enough to get something tangible done, but I think change will take much more time (~20-30 years.) and here's why:

- Drug use. It's enough of a challenge to cut the demand since drugs like crack and heroin are highly addictive, but how do you cut the supply when drugs are so easily available? Organized crime is huge in this city and there are plenty of middle-class kids who are ready to assume the ranks of those who have been taken down by the police.
- Mental issues. Is there enough political will to build a new Riverview-like institution to get these people off the streets?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #33
I don't get it

How many protesters does it take to change a light bulb?

None, protesters can't change anything.
Toeknee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #34
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
The Anti-Poverty Committee. They faked a flower delivery to Gordon Campbell's office in order to get in (as much as I dislike Campbell himself).They're the worst of them all, they're like the IRA "representing" homeless people when really they're just attention-hungry Arts majors with nothing better to do. If it was up to me, I'd have their leader executed to prevent the retard from continuing their crap.
there was this chick in one of my classes a few years ago bragging about how she and her APC members invaded an MLA's office. I called her a dumb mother fucker. i wish i didn't hold back. fucking dumb cunts
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #35
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,537 Times in 556 Posts
Why can't these retards enjoy it while it lasts? It's a once in a lifetime opportunity in our home town, and even if people can't afford tickets, they can still find ways of enjoying the games one way or another.
It's like people don't know how to loosen up and party once and a while.
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #36
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Throwing money at education doesn't solve anything, either.
I disagree. There are many programs for children that can be beneficial for them and society in the long run. Many of these programs help children who don't have a family that provides them with adequate parenting. These are programs with on-on-one counselling for kids who are on the verge of falling over to the wrong side of the tracks.

Quote:
Money needs to go towards educating young parents on how to raise their children properly. Why should the education system have to try and fix society's problems? Everything boils down to lousy parenting skills. How many children can read by the age of three? What ever happened to that? Kids come to school not knowing how to spell their own names or tie their own fucking shoes.
This I agree on, however I do not agree that you can force someone to be a better parent. If a child is unlucky enough to be born to a bad parent, it's only hope for survival is to have people in the school system who can be surrogate parents and provide some of the life skills that are non-existant at home. Again, I agree that this is the parents' job to do, however if SOMEONE doesn't help the child, they will wind up on the streets. It's better to spend the money on them earlier rather than later.

Quote:
Your perception of DTES is skewed. The crackheads and junkies are what you see on the outside. There's more. Finding a solution is not easy. Like others have mentioned, the truly homeless and disadvantaged are lost behind all the fucking junkies and people who have, by choice, as you put it, ruined their lives.
I grew up downtown. My perception is not skewed, it is first hand. People live there because it is a trap that sucks you in and you can't get out. Whether you are an addict or clean but disabled and poor, you can 'survive' in the DTES because all the resources are close by to just barely keep you alive, whereas doing so anywhere else in Vancouver would be inconvenient. Birds of a feather flock together, so the community keeps growing as it supports itself in it's state of perpetual poverty. People from the DTES rant and rave that it's a family and a community, but the same thing that keeps them together keeps them down. Throwing funding at this community does not help because it does not help them get OUT of the community. They need to get the fuck out of there and start fresh AWAY from the poverty with a community that does not approve of panhandling and sleeping on the sidewalk. They need mental institutions for people who are mentally ill, and they need affordable housing AWAY from the poverty of the DTES, where people can hold their head high and start to regain some self respect.

I also think it is absolutely ludicrous to build 'affordable housing' in the most expensive real estate in vancouver.

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 02-10-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #37
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,409 Times in 3,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post

I also think it is absolutely ludicrous to build 'affordable housing' in the most expensive real estate in vancouver.
100% agree. If you are poor what would you try to live in the most expensive place in the world?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:53 AM   #38
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
We can say the same thing for the fucking retards who fucked up the Stanley Cup Finals with their riots downtown

Remember this albino dude from the Stanley cup riots? He's with the ORN now along with Chris Shaw.

Quote:
However, some of the things VANOC and government officials has done with tax payers' money, is a blatent waste.
I hear this a lot, but never any specifics. Just a bunch of hyperbole thrown out there and yelled out loud over and over. Can you name some things that are a waste of taxpayer's money? And attach a dollar amt to it. I'll start.

1. Security - $900B
2. What else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
I am by no means saying that the Olympics are the best way to spend $6b.
Same as above.. what exactly is in this $6B? As far as I can tell, someone pulled it out of their ass. I'm looking for someone to prove me wrong.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #39
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I can't stand these jackass protesters. Most of them aren't even poor folks that the money would go towards. They're assholes that live off the system. I remember a few years ago, some asshole went on Pratt and Taylor and said outright that he didn't want to work more than 3 days a week and wants the government to provide his housing.

FUCK YOU. I'd burn the money before I'd give it to a bunch of goddamn hippies.

The Olympics are awesome. My only problem with it is that it's going to be a bitch to get anywhere in the next couple weeks.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #40
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I can't stand these jackass protesters. Most of them aren't even poor folks that the money would go towards. They're assholes that live off the system.
And they're the people who are getting all the attention. Negative attention. Not helping matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
I grew up downtown. My perception is not skewed, it is first hand.
Interesting. Which neighbourhood?

Quote:
People live there because it is a trap that sucks you in and you can't get out.
Countless people have made it out. Most of the people who ended up there had little to no choice. Remember, I'm not talking about the crackheads and junkies. I don't know how many times I have to say that. Those people need to be dealt with some other way. They have an addiction. I'm talking about the people who live in poverty. I thought I explained this all in another thread. There are families who live there because the rooming houses are the only places they can afford to live in.

Quote:
Throwing funding at this community does not help because it does not help them get OUT of the community.
It can, if it is put in the right places. Housing drug addicts is a waste of money. They need to be shipped to detox centres far, far away from the DTES or any urban area. BTW, the DTES is pretty much staurated and there are places far worse than the DTES. Surrey, Abbotsford, Chiliwack, just to name a few.

Quote:
They need to get the fuck out of there and start fresh AWAY from the poverty with a community that does not approve of panhandling and sleeping on the sidewalk. They need mental institutions for people who are mentally ill, and they need affordable housing AWAY from the poverty of the DTES, where people can hold their head high and start to regain some self respect.

And so.................... this takes............... funding.

Good ideas you have there. Honestly, the government needs to shake their heads and get their shit together. You're one of the very few here who is actually thinking about ways to solve the issue rather than mock the people who are in this situation.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:11 AM   #41
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

tell them to gtfo, the Olympics are happening like it or not.
TRD Rs200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #42
MG1

Also, why are we talking about this shit? Because of those numbnut protesters. Like it or no, they bring the subject to light. Always a silver lining to every cloud.

I agree with everybody here about the way they conduct themselves. They are an embarrassment.

Like I said previously, we can all help by volunteering and stuff, but there is no direction by any organization. Not even by the protesters. At least not anything that is viable. Remember the Richmond food bank thread? Another example that makes you shake your head. In order to get food to the ones who really need it, you have to waste most of it on other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Rs200 View Post
tell them to gtfo, the Olympics are happening like it or not.
Buddy. This isn't China.........

I'm so glad I live in a part of the world where a person can stand up and say, "This sucks!" Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong or even how you go about expressing your displeasure.

Beats living in a place where you have to go up against a tank to say, "No More."

Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
[IMG]
Same as above.. what exactly is in this $6B? As far as I can tell, someone pulled it out of their ass. I'm looking for someone to prove me wrong.
Here's an old column I found from the Vancouver Sun: http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/O...886/story.html

The $6 billion is somewhat skewed because money has come from various taxpayer-funded sources such as the Government of Canada, municipal governments, and Crown corporations. But, what people don't realize is that if that money wasn't spent on the Olympics, it would have been spent on something else instead - the value of which would have been just as questionable.

First rule you learn in Public Budgeting 101 - never spend less than you spent the year previous.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #44
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
IMO if they want to voice their opinion then go for it. But in doing that please respect others by not interrupting what others are doing. it is YOUR/THEIR opinion, and it should not be forced onto others.

ie: that anti-olympics thing that is supposed to go on doing the relay today at UBC, if they are really going to attempt to stop the relay... they are just bringing more negative light to their efforts. If they stood by the side, had some banners up and just minded their manners, people would actually think about the issues they are trying to bring up.

just my 2 cents

I should start my own ANTI-ANTI Olympics group lol
Old 02-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #45
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
I'm so glad I live in a part of the world where a person can stand up and say, "This sucks!" Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong or even how you go about expressing your displeasure.

Beats living in a place where you have to go up against a tank to say, "No More."
I thought those rights have been suspended during the games. You can get fined $10,000 plus up to 6 months in jail for having anti olympic signs on your property.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Picard View Post
IMO if they want to voice their opinion then go for it. But in doing that please respect others by not interrupting what others are doing. it is YOUR/THEIR opinion, and it should not be forced onto others.

ie: that anti-olympics thing that is supposed to go on doing the relay today at UBC, if they are really going to attempt to stop the relay... they are just bringing more negative light to their efforts. If they stood by the side, had some banners up and just minded their manners, people would actually think about the issues they are trying to bring up.

just my 2 cents

I should start my own ANTI-ANTI Olympics group lol
I will play Devil's advocate for a minute and say that by being confrontational, they are the most effective in getting their message across. Disruption and chaos sells papers, airtime, etc. so the media will jump on any chance to film anything that appears to be disruptive.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #47

Thanked 2,552 Times in 845 Posts
fuck that

the Heineken house is here
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #48
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
While I'm not supportive of the protesting, I do find 'Squatchi' rather comical:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qXcRUWD1NV...6-Squatchi.jpg
Quote:
Inventing new quasi-Olympic mascots has become a medal sport unto itself.

First it was the Poverty Olympic mascots that included Itchy the Bedbug.

Now there's "Squatchi" – a renamed version of official Games mascot Quatchi that a coalition of social justice groups has unveiled to bring attention to issues like homelessness.

They say the rebranded Squatchi, who has been "liberated from the forces of corporate promotions," is so named to reflect the importance of squatting to agitate for more affordable housing.
I don't support the protesting - the disruptive/destructive type - but I do think that the 3 levels of government could do a much better job of allocating their money to the different parts and people of the city. Everything needs moderation... you can spend $x dollars on one thing (such as the Olympics or crappy projects like public art) but a reasonable amount needs to be spent on pressing issues. You don't need to spend billions into the DTES to have some change. As stated, obviously throwing money into the wide-open arms isn't going to do diddly squat. The more important thing is how the money is spent and how the programs that receive the money are run.

I wasn't 100% of the Olympics coming to town, but I've been caught up in the fever after going downtown and seeing the torch pass by my neighbourhood. It is a treat to have the Olympics in our town, especially for the kids. Social services are just an issue that the government(s) need to address, likely forever.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #49
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Does anyone think that the Olympic will further drive up the cost of living? I'm thinking along the line of increased foreign investment buying up all the land causing prices to artificially inflate. People who are in borderline poverty will become poor and be displaced by influx of richer people. Overall effect will still be net positive but at the expense of the under-priviledged.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #50
Banned (ABWS)

What actually inflates the cost of living is us. The more we demand, the more it's going to cost.
So assuming the Olympics will bring more visitors into this city in the long run, then the price will increase to adjust for the shifted-right demand curve.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote