REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Olympic Protests

-----
Advertisement

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 01:46 PM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
Protesters wont last long anywhere

I cant help but laugh at none of these "Protesters" coming out to the events in Surrey, Richmond, etc. they talk big behind a TV camera but when there's 20,000 people who support the games in one spot they are all scared shitless to come out with their retarded causes

guess what, the games are here and your only hurting your cause by protesting them, no one gives a shit that you want a free hand out and that you would prefer the olympic money to go to buying you a downtown condo.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I just laugh at all these idiot protesters who complain about how much money is being spent on the Olympics, so they conduct disruptive protests which only leads to driving up costs spent on security.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
I just laugh at all these idiot protesters who complain about how much money is being spent on the Olympics, so they conduct disruptive protests which only leads to driving up costs spent on security.
The decision was made about the olympics LONG ago. The best way to make it cost less is by helping in as many ways as much as possible.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #5

the best thing to do is make it as big of a success as possible, that helps out everyone, the tax payers, homeless, etc.

but homeless retards who want downtown condo's for free dont have the mental capacity to understand that concept.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Protesters wont last long anywhere

I cant help but laugh at none of these "Protesters" coming out to the events in Surrey, Richmond, etc. they talk big behind a TV camera but when there's 20,000 people who support the games in one spot they are all scared shitless to come out with their retarded causes

guess what, the games are here and your only hurting your cause by protesting them, no one gives a shit that you want a free hand out and that you would prefer the olympic money to go to buying you a downtown condo.
You need to step back and see things from other people's perspective, my friend.

I'm not a big fan of protesters. Most of them are attention seekers and they always have a hidden agenda (professional protesters). They like to play the role of saviour. However, some of the things VANOC and government officials has done with tax payers' money, is a blatent waste. I would much rather have the money wasted go toward supporting the athletes and people in need.

I know you've been born with a silver spoon in your mouth (at least that's how you go about portraying yourself at times), but there are a lot of people hurting out there and their voices are never heard. I have experienced povery first hand, living my first 16 years of my life in the downtown eastside.

Let me say this agaIn. Those protesters are a bunch of yahoos. They incite others to do some pretty dumb things. Some of the things I've seen them do is pretty pathetic, but...............

"There but for the grace of god go I"

Not all of us are fortunate to be born into good situations.........
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
the best thing to do is make it as big of a success as possible, that helps out everyone, the tax payers, homeless, etc.

but homeless retards who want downtown condo's for free dont have the mental capacity to understand that concept.
You're not far from the truth there. You call them homeless retards and some of them actually are. Mental illness. Why do you think they are there? They are outcasts. People who nobody wants or wanted.

Make fun of them - that's cool.

As for the organizers of the protests, they don't care about anything except media exposure. They can go to hell.

There are Olympic protesters at every games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
The decision was made about the olympics LONG ago. The best way to make it cost less is by helping in as many ways as much as possible.
True........

so, let's get the homeless "retards" and put them in charge of what?

What has VANOC done to include them?

Quote:
Buddy, you have money. You have a good life. And, more power to you.

I complain about the amount of money spent on the Olympics. Does that make me and countless others idiots?

BTW, I don't hate the Olympics. I love it like everybody else. I support our athletes and I hope both our hockey teams kick butt. I don't mind our tax dollars spent on supporting our "amateur" athletes.

What I don't like is the other stuff. We could have made these games an example of fiscal restraint in tough times. Wouldn't that be awesome. Vancouver shows the world how to have a good time without breaking the bank.

Perhaps one day the Olympics will become more about the athletes than money. When the events start, we'll all forget about it, I guess.

GO, Canada, GO!!!!!

This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
It's been said before, but I agree, a lot of the protesters are just a bunch of attention-seeking morons who have nothing better to do with their "Arts" degrees. They're reasons for protesting heavily imply that all the money spent on the Olympics will solve poverty in the Lower Mainland forever. Forever? What about 15-20 years (or less) down the road when the money has dried up? What will the homeless people at the time do? It's all back to square one with nothing left to show for it. However, I do acknowledge that it's entirely possible to argue the other side based on the usefulness of the venues after the Olympics.

I'm in a single-parent family with an income barely above the poverty line, but my family lives a relatively comfortable life despite not being able to do as much as other people I know, my mother tries to compromise. It's not necessary, but nonetheless, I understand that those true homeless people have run into issues that put them into their situations. It's the retard organizers that make me hate the protesters.

Last edited by CorneringArtist; 02-10-2010 at 07:08 PM.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
The Olympics are here, and no one is gonna stop it. I wasnt neither for nor against the Olympics, but since its here. We may aswell embrace it with open arms.

We all know the Money could of been better spent somewhere else. We can say that about alot of things. But i know one thing though. Im totally against giving the homeless money. Cause your never gonna please them and thats a Gaurantee. They complain about having no Food, You Give them food, they complain about having no money, u give them them welfare, they complain about no shelter, you give them that, and then they just complain about not getting enough money or shelters.

Dont Believe me? Has anyone out there ever complained about how much they make at work? And when your boss gave u your raise, "how soon after" did u complain about something else? The workers complaint is actually warranted, but homeless complaint isnt to me.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
MG1

Hondaracer, I am sorry I went off the deep end a bit there.

I really can't blame you. When I was young, I used to hate people who looked able bodied, but begged on the streets. I was like wtf? Get a job, you lazy fuck!

Until one day, I came across one of "them" and started talking with him (not at him). His story was so sad. Not every crackhead or homeless moron is that. Down on their luck. Illness, fears, etc.

Nothing is black and white. I learned this the hard way.

All of us can do more, me included, but it's easier to laugh at people than to deal with the problem. I was compelled to help this fellow out some more, but I have my own family to look after. I have a comfortable life............ I don't know. I wish poverty would just go away. I watch TV and see these photos of kids suffering from war and famine and such and I can't stand it - to the point I turn to a different channel.

I just can't do it. My car, my hobbies, my habits........... I am ashamed of myself. I can be out there volunteering instead of watching hockey games. I can be sponsoring children overseas. I can be doing a lot of things. Sorry............

Old 02-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Buddy, you have money. You have a good life. And, more power to you.

I complain about the amount of money spent on the Olympics. Does that make me and countless others idiots?
If you re-read what I wrote, I was referring specifically to the idiots who complain/protest by conducting disruptive protest, the only thing that does is hurt their own costs and drive up the costs needed to be spent on security.

Just look at what happened today with Harper's visit, protesters disrupted his visit so the ISU had to re-route and deploy additional resources to his location. Just watch what will happen when the Olympic Torch makes its way through downtown Vancouver, no doubt the protesters will try to disrupt them. Now I realize that a lot of these protesters are professional protesters who just want to start trouble, but the majority of these protesters with them who actually care about the cause are just enabling the trouble makers and even welcome them, which IMO, makes them no better.

If you want to hang a banner, make a sign or just voice your complaints in a non-disruptive manner, then all the more power to you.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
The workers complaint is actually warranted, but homeless complaint isnt to me.
I wish I can play god for one minute and put you in their shoes. I'll predict one week before you start begging for mercy, if you don't die before that time.

Some of these people never asked to be homeless. Somewhere, somehow, their lives got turned upside down.

Most of the homeless out there cannot get jobs, either. Think about why. Because they're homeless. No mailing address and stuff makes a person difficult to employ. Right, I thought so......... you're going to answer by saying that's just an excuse. Buddy, everything is an excuse in the eyes of another person.

I don't know you. I don't know your background. I am just replying to your statement. That's all.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
I should also probably say that i know not all homeless are are junkies or straight up morons. But cause of them and the system, they are the ones getting the money and not the ones that are down on there luck, or just couldnt make ends meet who actually need it
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
MG1

I don't know guys. I get so worked up when it comes to the topic of poverty and homelessness. I grew up in the DTES and for me, at the time, it was no big deal. Now that I'm on the other side of the tracks, looking back, it bothers me when I hear people talking about the less fortunate. Maybe I should just let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
I should also probably say that i know not all homeless are are junkies or straight up morons. But cause of them and the system, they are the ones getting the money and not the ones that are down on there luck, or just couldnt make ends meet who actually need it
Thank you for that. There are a lot of people who suffer quietly in the DTES. Language barrier, illness, parents abandoned them, you name it.

My thanks button ain't working no more...........

EDIT: nvm. It's working again.

God damn it. I'm missing my favourite TV show, Criminal Minds. I missed out on good take out Chinese food, too. Damn kids. Didn't leave me anything. Life's tough, I tell ya......

Quote:
If you re-read what I wrote, I was referring specifically to the idiots who complain/protest by conducting disruptive protest, the only thing that does is hurt their own costs and drive up the costs needed to be spent on security.
Right.

My bad. I just jumped at the opportunity to rant.

BTW, I hear Arnold is part of the torch run. Cool. Lots of exposure for the games. He owns property in Summerland, so he's paying taxes, LOL.

I just hope we didn't bribe him by offering his state billions of litres of free water and gigawatts of hydro electricty. And.... a promise to shut down Hollywood North.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

what good can protesting now bring?
Money has already been spent setting up this game. The majority of Vancouver's population is in favour of the game. Ppl around the world are here. Hobos have already spread to Richmond by free riding the new skytrain built for the Olympics. The game is already here.

Fine, let's say the protesters win the protest. So what's next?
Spent money to unbuild those buildings? Reimburse money to all the visitors and the Olympics money for wasting their time? Bribe the hobos to go back to downtown?

We've gone too far to go back and so have the hobos.

btw, I am not dissing those protesters.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #17
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
what good can protesting now bring?
Money has already been spent setting up this game. The majority of Vancouver's population is in favour of the game. Ppl around the world are here. Hobos have already spread to Richmond by free riding the new skytrain built for the Olympics. The game is already here.
Buddy, you're late for the party. Again. What you're saying has been said before. We get it. It's too late. Just like the HST. It's too late. But protesting, no matter how stupid or useless does bring to light, the issues. There's a chance that in the future, organizers of such events will think more about shit.

It's been how many years since the announcement that the Olympics were coming here? The organizers had enough time to do something creative to address the issues with the homeless. They couldn't come up with much of anything. A lot of these people today may not have expressed their feelings so much if steps were taken to address the issue. Of course, there will always be some who will never be satisfied. But............

BTW, to address another issue some brought up in this thread about security costs to keep these yahoos in check. I don't think billions were spent on security for small time Vancouver protesters. I think they were here for more important reasons. Let's hope the protesters in the DTES are the only things they have to deal with during the games.

Protesters costing us money? We can say the same thing for the fucking retards who fucked up the Stanley Cup Finals with their riots downtown or the dickheads at the rock concert who destroyed GM Place. Spoiled, rich fucktards. Nuff said.......

Old 02-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #18
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Honestly, I feel that the money that they're pouring into the olympics could be much better spend elsewhere. But being a business major, I also know that this money literally wouldn't exist for social programs.

It's the same rationalization as most people make on an annual basis. A lot of people have personal debt, which is costing them money. However, come boxing day, a great many people would rather buy a big-screen TV than pay down $600-1200 of personal debt. Why? Because they feel the value of what they are purchasing (both in terms of actual value and long-term "showoff" value) is better than the amount of money they can pay their debt down.

This is basically what's happening with the Olympics. Yes, I agree the retards are getting sidelined (that's a separate issue that has to do with the downsizing of Riverview in the 70s and 80s...yay de-institutionalization policies that happened before I was born!) and that addicts and low-income people are getting shafted. At the same time, the money that they want wasn't coming to them before the olympics. I admit, the olympics were supposed to bring more money to low-income people in the form of below-market housing, but the economic collapse in the US kind of fucked that idea.

What's here is here, and disruptive protesting will only result in a reduced economic benefit post-games. There was a protest group...I can't even remember their name right now, but they did everything they could to just randomly disrupt and fuck shit up. They even invaded an MLA's office and trashed it just to show how far they'd go. Yet all they did was drive up the costs of securing EVERYTHING by making VANOC pay for extra cops and private security to protect meetings and presentations.

I am by no means saying that the Olympics are the best way to spend $6b. But it's here, and there's nothing we can do about it. Should we ignore the issues? Fuck no. Should we enjoy the ride? Fuck yes.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #19
MG1

Evey time I think about this year's Olympics, this Irish Rovers song comes to mind.......

Could've been the whiskey
Might've been the gin
Could've been the three or four six-packs,
I don't know, but look at the mess I'm in
My head is like a football
I think I'm going to die
Tell me, me oh, me oh my
Wasn't that a party

Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #20
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Aren't the natives going to terrorize the Olympics? Some girl at school told me this, can anyone verify.
SMDBICH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #21
racing & tech mod.

I'm sorry, but throwing money at the DTES is NOT going to solve the problem. All the money that went towards the olympics could have been funneled towards DTES and it would not have changed a damn thing except making their drug addicted lives easier and more comfortable. The solution involves a major governmental, judicial, and police reforms, and a national attitude adjustment in regards to homelessness. These are not things that will change with just money money money. (although more funding towards mental institutions would be an obvious exception)

If anything the money should have been spent on the SCHOOL SYSTEM, to better educate our kids so they know the differences between their, there, and they're. I don't feel too bad about cuts to adults who have made poor decisions in life, but I'm infuriated when the government cuts education and social and welfare funding to kids.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #22

without replying to each individual post i'll say this

I feel for the mentally ill who got kicked out of riverview etc. and dont have a place to go, people who dont have the means to support themselves need others to speak for them, but most of the time it would seem that even the mentally ill could potray their case to the public better than most "advocates" that are in the media

the people i dont feel for:

Natives who already receive government funding and want more money for social housing

People who are too lazy to find jobs, and dont want to work in order to live rent-free in a neighborhood that has $500,000 condo's next door

Drug Addicts that got themselves into the predicament in the first place, i dont give a shit if your dad touched you as a kid, there are very successful people in this world who got passed little issues in their lives when they realized some things in life are worth working hard for and putting a little effort into

I have absolutely -zero- time for the homeless coalition in it's entirety, when the "leader" or whatever he calls himself came on the Team1040 before and explained to Pratt and Taylor how he doesn't work more then 3 days a week because he "doesn't feel like it" the sense of entitlement he had was enough to make me want to find him and spit in his face

Sure the money towards the Olympics could have been better used to strengthen out infrastructure etc. but if you put billions of dollars into homelessness you think that solves the problem? in 10 years there would be 30 times the homeless because they see a free meal ticket in Vancouver

I'm all for a hand-up, but these people looking for hand-outs can go fuck themselves.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #23
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

The olympics brought us some infrastructure that we could use after the olympics are done with. The government has thrown A LOT of money into the Dtes and it didn't fix anything.
eFx[A2C] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #24
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
If anything the money should have been spent on the SCHOOL SYSTEM, to better educate our kids so they know the differences between their, there, and they're. I don't feel too bad about cuts to adults who have made poor decisions in life, but I'm infuriated when the government cuts education and social and welfare funding to kids.
Throwing money at education doesn't solve anything, either.

Money needs to go towards educating young parents on how to raise their children properly. Why should the education system have to try and fix society's problems? Everything boils down to lousy parenting skills. How many children can read by the age of three? What ever happened to that? Kids come to school not knowing how to spell their own names or tie their own fucking shoes.

Your perception of DTES is skewed. The crackheads and junkies are what you see on the outside. There's more. Finding a solution is not easy. Like others have mentioned, the truly homeless and disadvantaged are lost behind all the fucking junkies and people who have, by choice, as you put it, ruined their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMDBICH View Post
Aren't the natives going to terrorize the Olympics? Some girl at school told me this, can anyone verify.
The natives here in the west coast are pretty much docile (whimps). If they bring the natives from eastern Canada, there will be tonnes of trouble. OKA!!!!!!

Look at the Cheam Indian Tribe. They go out to hunt whale illegally. They call it a protest - their right to hunt whale. The government freaks out and it becomes a media frenzy. Those braves, and I use the term loosly, came back with zero catch each time they went out. They barely made it back alive in their (most likely made in China) warrior ships. I don't think they do the traditional whale hunt anymore........ "Guys, this is hard work, let's go back to stringing nets from one side of the river to the other and catch salmon instead." LOL.

All kidding aside, the natives are not going to protest. VANOC knew better than to piss off the First Nations people. They're taken care of.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #25
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post

There was a protest group...I can't even remember their name right now, but they did everything they could to just randomly disrupt and fuck shit up. They even invaded an MLA's office and trashed it just to show how far they'd go. Yet all they did was drive up the costs of securing EVERYTHING by making VANOC pay for extra cops and private security to protect meetings and presentations.
The Anti-Poverty Committee. They faked a flower delivery to Gordon Campbell's office in order to get in (as much as I dislike Campbell himself).They're the worst of them all, they're like the IRA "representing" homeless people when really they're just attention-hungry Arts majors with nothing better to do. If it was up to me, I'd have their leader executed to prevent the retard from continuing their crap.