REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #101
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

RIP..
Advertisement
Mkhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #102
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

ok this is in bad but I will admit I laughed (and felt bad after)..
anyways found this on the Joe Rogan board

Spoiler!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #103
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

im not a rocket scientist but wouldnt higher walls and a net that could withstand luge speeds or something that is designed to keep the lugers INSIDE the track seem more safe? maybe it wont make a difference but anything is better than going straight into a concrete wall @ 100mph...
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #104
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

That's just horrible. Wasn't there tests done on this track before? Why are there concrete poles after a high speed turn? Making it padded doesn't help. If they crash, they will break their neck.
I don't think inexperience was much of a factor, since how can you really control at 144km/h in a practice run?
The designers of the track should have made it slower and safer. Maybe put safety netting and removing the concrete poles.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #105
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

whats worse than going down a frozen slide at 100mph wearing nothing?

doing the exact same thing except going headfirst.

these 2 sports belong in the winter xgames not the olympics
rice cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:23 AM   #106
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5-S View Post
Seems like Sean needs a good ass whooping
Posted via RS Mobile
It was probably in bad taste, but im heartless.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:44 AM   #107
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post

That's just horrible. Wasn't there tests done on this track before? Why are there concrete poles after a high speed turn? Making it padded doesn't help. If they crash, they will break their neck.
I don't think inexperience was much of a factor, since how can you really control at 144km/h in a practice run?
The designers of the track should have made it slower and safer. Maybe put safety netting and removing the concrete poles.
I agree on putting netting or putting higher barriers, but removing the poles would prob do more harm in terms of structure.
Like others said, the designers probably done many calculations, designs and test simulations to meet the requirments and regulations of the track.
I think inexperience was a big factor, along with many others, like chance and luck. Like the others said, one big freak accident.
Why would we make something slower and safer when the world is going the other way? Technolgy is a major factor. If they cared a bout slower/safer, they would pad thenselves up and use dull skates so going down the hill.
Maybe everything was so technically advanced (board, clothing, track) that the average luger couldn't handle it, but then that goes again with experience and luck/chance.

It is just the nature of luge. I'm surprised there arn't more deaths.
But now the utilitarian view is, since his death, others will learn from it making it safer hopefully.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #108
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

RIP. It was pretty hard to watch when they showed it.
Posted via RS Mobile
Alpine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #109

Thanked 7,408 Times in 3,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post

Many people have tested the track and people have gone over 150 km/h. He didn't have to 144 km/h he could have gone slower but he wanted the fastest time in the practice session.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #110
R&R
I STILL don't get it

rip, imo they should postpone the use of the luge track
R&R is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #111
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

I see that most ppl here dont have any physics knowledge at all... whether that was a side wall, or a concrete beam, or pillows he would have died. IMPULSE know it? FORCE/TIME(s)
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #112
I STILL don't get it

apparently, they're blaming the athlete for not following the right line through the course. whatever weight shifting they do can't possibly offer such a precise amount of control that they can change lines if they fuck up a corner exit.

they're fucking ice sleds, not F1 cars, you insensitive safety officials.

sure... make the walls higher, just so the next athlete can now safely do an assgrind 180 into the pole right after that one. i guess that gives the next dead athlete style points.

i sure hope they make the safety wall reach the roof to catch anyone that can't take a proper line through the ice.
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #113
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
I see that most ppl here dont have any physics knowledge at all... whether that was a side wall, or a concrete beam, or pillows he would have died. IMPULSE know it? FORCE/TIME(s)
I agree. Forget the paddings, he needed more time to slow down. He went from 140km/hr to 0 in 1sec. His heart, lungs, brain, vessels, etc all got knocked out of place when he smacked at the wall with so many g's.
kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #114
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^ i would agree
netting/fences would just cut into him considering the speed
and im assuming the pillars were also designed to help hold some weight, cuz a human body flying around a corning at 140+ km/h would exert A LOT of force onto the track
RIP
-10 Fit
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #115
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,848 Times in 8,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
yeah, cause the sled's got brakes right?
give me a break...no one on this board is using a tragedy to shit on the games.

read the bbc link, other athletes have already injured themselves on this track and have expressed their concerns before this accident. Accidents happen, but when it's the first to kill an athelete in a sport that's been around for ages something tells me there's a poor design in the track
Unless they totally cancel the luge event and tear down the track, you are wrong. This was a freak accident caused by a mistake in an event he knew was deadly going in. All the bullshit here and on news sites making up stories as if the athletes were warning people this would happen is just bullshit.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:28 AM   #116
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
Um, pillows would totally help. Would you rather jump off a building onto a layer of pillows or a concrete floor? If forced to choose I'd take 1 layer over 0 any day.

Since when is impulse F/t? Last time I checked it's F*t. You might want to pay more attention in physics class. Technically it's the integral of F(t)dt but this is getting beyond highschool physics.

The deceleration is actually pretty crazy. 143.3km/h = 39.8m/s. Assuming his helmet has 3cm of padding and the pillar didn't flex, the acceleration on the guy's head is 26408m/s^2, or 2694.7Gs. Your brain would turn to goo. His head would reach a full stop (assuming he doesn't bounce) in 0.0015s.

They really should pad those things and raise the walls to be honest. Might not reduce the injuries by too much but keeping them inside the track would be a whole lot safer. Also the extra 0.05s or whatever deceleration time provided by a pad may have prevented this guy's death. Then again, nobody ever anticipated someone flying out. Design oversight if anything. Hopefully the raised wall will prevent another fatality at this point. And yes, they do keep walls low on purpose. Not just so people can see better, but also to minimize costs. Concrete isn't free you know.

Last edited by slammer111; 02-13-2010 at 02:46 AM.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #117
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
wow thats horrible

im not sure if it was those pillars that killed him or when he initially wiped out because if u watch the video the moment the luge leaves him his head looks like its crushed into the ice sheet before flipping into the pillars
Upon closer look, his head never hit anything until it hit that pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Can Lugers control their speed or do they just brace for the ride?

I know they're supposed to tackle a course as fast as possible but if they have control over speed, isn't part of tackling courses managing your turns?
They have some control, otherwise victory would purely depend on the initial acceleration at the start. I think he just over pushed that run... and sadly, it cost his life.

This can be partial blame on both sides. I assume the designers had made the track how all tracks have been designed in previous years. (I'm not 100% sure did other tracks in previous years had poles so close or not, or were they padded or not.) But also, the luger himself went too fast, his own error.

Although common sense would tell you that putting poles so close like that is not very smart. An Engineer may be able to calculate what angle to make the turns according to the expected speeds of a luger, and the size and strength of the colums (poles) to use for supporting the track, but their main concern probably isn't going to be "WHAT IF's" for lugers that make mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimdiu View Post
btw doubling the wall height won't work, so if he actually went out of control and on to the wall...the way he comes back down would've killed him too since the other side of the track is open...
A higher wall would have helped. The way he fell off, he would have hit the wall and just rolled back into the track (he wouldn't have flew out to the other side). Probably still injured, but death would have been unlikely. Another thing they could have done is to make the base of the pole farther away by making them diagonal. So the top point is still the same, but the bottom can be farther away from the track. That may have helped a bit.

I'm not a luger myself, so I don't know the techniques on what to do if something goes wrong. While exiting that corner, he knew he was already in trouble, as you can see both his hands were not holding the luge anymore. In other words, he bailed. I'm thinking would it have been any better if he had decided to hang on to dear life... He probably didn't expect to go out of the track if he decided to let go of the luge.

He had already "crashed" earlier prior to that. And I think it said over a dozen other lugers had wiped out on this track. I don't know what's the rate for previous years. Is this common to have that many accidents? All of them walked away without injuries... It's unfortunate that this one wasn't so lucky.

Are they planning to do anything about this now for safety?
And how will this effect other lugers in the actual games? It's only natural to be a bit hesitant of pushing it as hard as they can, knowing someone has died by doing so.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 02-13-2010 at 06:11 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #118
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
After the investigation, they said it was pilot error that lead to the crash.

They made some changes to the track. I think they raised the wall.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #119
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,200 Times in 2,279 Posts
I believe a higher wall could have led to the lugers pushing either harder cuz theres more room to go
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #120
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
Higher walll, and now men start at the women's start. Starting from the women's start they loose 2 turns and about 10 stories of height.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #121

One good idea someone came up with was to plexiglass the side of the track.. people can still watch.. Cameras can still tape and it would keep him in the track..
One thing I dont like is they are talking about putting speed limits in place. If they do that they should just remove the event from the Olympics. They dont have speed limits in any other events. Its all about pushing yourself to your limit. That is why this finally happened. Hell this guy was only going 144 km/h.. Someone has done over 150 km/h and survived.
If they had more time I'd say use plexiglass and then have some sorta shock absorber attached from the glass to those beams to minimize impact and then allow them to go all out..
Old 02-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #122
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
the new NHL glass used at GM place etc. flexes like 2-3 feet outwards on impact

i dont know if a big hit is the same impact at somone hitting it at 140km/h but could be an idea
Old 02-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #123

I'm sure they can figure something out. With a shock system in place it would absorb some of the impact. I'm sure the NHL glass would do just fine..
Old 02-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #124
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,200 Times in 2,279 Posts
Safety nets and High walls with line to show which is track and which is safety zone is a good idea

as for the nets,
theres gotta be room for the net to give out for the athlete in order for it to work, plus the amount of force would be tremendous, especially if you can hit 5G on that course
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #125
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I have a tremendous amount of respect for the other luge athletes. Being able to run on a course you know someone has died on, I don't think I could do it. You gotta wonder what they're thinking as they come up to that bend in the track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote