REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #126
degenerate extraordinaire

^ what a mindfuck that would be.

Skeleton and luge are some of the most extreme shit you can do imo. It's just between you and the board you are laying on.
Advertisement
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #127
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
I have a tremendous amount of respect for the other luge athletes. Being able to run on a course you know someone has died on, I don't think I could do it. You gotta wonder what they're thinking as they come up to that bend in the track...
They arent thinking of anything..
There is a saying "look where you wanna go.. not where you dont wanna go"..
Anyone that cant get this out of their head should just drop out.. They are more a risk to themself if they are thinking about this while going down the track.
I know its an asshole thing to say but pretty much the mentality that they need to have is that it was that guys fault for being inexperienced. This competition is really gonna be psychological.. Whoever has the most control over their brain will win..
Old 02-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #128
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

heard on the radio that they move the men's starting line to the women's starting line, thus slowing the whole course including that final turn.
4chinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #129
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penner2k View Post
They arent thinking of anything..
There is a saying "look where you wanna go.. not where you dont wanna go"..
Anyone that cant get this out of their head should just drop out.. They are more a risk to themself if they are thinking about this while going down the track.
I know its an asshole thing to say but pretty much the mentality that they need to have is that it was that guys fault for being inexperienced. This competition is really gonna be psychological.. Whoever has the most control over their brain will win..
That's a very good point. But I don't think it was his inexperience with the track that killed him. If you watch the video, it actually looks like he clips something when he comes up the other side, just before he's thrown off.

Either way, something went wrong and someone paid the ultimate price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #130
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,958 Times in 3,890 Posts
Agreed on the amount of balls and mental control it must take to do this stuff, there's no way you could get me to dive on a sled in only a spandex suit and do 150km/h down a curved track with no brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
Safety nets and High walls with line to show which is track and which is safety zone is a good idea

as for the nets,
theres gotta be room for the net to give out for the athlete in order for it to work, plus the amount of force would be tremendous, especially if you can hit 5G on that course
I think solid plexi would be best, you don't want it to flex out and then spring you back off the inside of the track. The impact with said wall of plexi wouldn't be that bad, nor your body falling back down to the track, it's slick ice so the impact would be the same as normally falling only a few feet. The vertical or side to side speed isn't the issue here, the problem was that his body went from 150km/h forward to 0km/h forward. You'd be pretty much fine sliding up a plexiglass wall and falling back down into the track, then sliding to a stop a ways down.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #131
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
this really sucks, even /b/ is all over him now

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #132
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
My god, this happens and then suddenly everyone is an Safety Engineering expert. WTF?

Hard to watch. RIP.

Let's examine all the possibilities as logically as possible without dumbass 20/20 outbursts like "They should have put padding!"

1. Situation as it is. Obviously we know the outcome.
2. Padding. Nothing would have changed. Odds are you can't even survive a 144km/h CAR accident.
3. No beams - Would have flung out and landed on concrete/skinned him alive
4. Higher wall - Still would have flung out and been seriously injured/killed.

Some sports are inherently dangerous. The only consolation this guy had is at least it was virtually instant death, compared to a lifetime of suffering if he had 'survived'.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #133
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
RIP.

Agreed that they should've increased the side wall or at least placed the beams somewhere else. Don't they do accident simulations here? Impact forces, etc??
Of COURSE the engineers do simulations. However it's like modelling a car accident that can happen at any time. Impossible to control all variables.

If you looked at crashing lugers at this turn, there are nearly an infinite different ways the outcome of the crash could have turned out.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #134
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Right before the beams, I noticed there was a slight turn on the wall which he bumped into as he was sliding along the wall. If that bend wasn't there I wonder if he would've hit the beam at all...probably his legs. But then again the outcome would be just as bad.

Rest in Peace...
───────▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
─────▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
───▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
──▐▒▒▒▄▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒▌
──▌▒▒▐▄█▀▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▐
─▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▌
─▌▒▀▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
─▌▀▐▄█▄█▌▄▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
▐▒▀▐▀▐▀▒▒▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
─▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
Jobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #135
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
Um, pillows would totally help. Would you rather jump off a building onto a layer of pillows or a concrete floor? If forced to choose I'd take 1 layer over 0 any day.

Since when is impulse F/t? Last time I checked it's F*t. You might want to pay more attention in physics class. Technically it's the integral of F(t)dt but this is getting beyond highschool physics.

The deceleration is actually pretty crazy. 143.3km/h = 39.8m/s. Assuming his helmet has 3cm of padding and the pillar didn't flex, the acceleration on the guy's head is 26408m/s^2, or 2694.7Gs. Your brain would turn to goo. His head would reach a full stop (assuming he doesn't bounce) in 0.0015s.

They really should pad those things and raise the walls to be honest. Might not reduce the injuries by too much but keeping them inside the track would be a whole lot safer. Also the extra 0.05s or whatever deceleration time provided by a pad may have prevented this guy's death. Then again, nobody ever anticipated someone flying out. Design oversight if anything. Hopefully the raised wall will prevent another fatality at this point. And yes, they do keep walls low on purpose. Not just so people can see better, but also to minimize costs. Concrete isn't free you know.
K that formula was me in my tired mode. But regardless. That pillow would of done shit all. Why don't you go jump off a bridge thats 600m above water. Water is soft right? To be effective you'd need like 8000000 pillows to be able to even walk away.
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #136
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
K that formula was me in my tired mode. But regardless. That pillow would of done shit all. Why don't you go jump off a bridge thats 600m above water. Water is soft right? To be effective you'd need like 8000000 pillows to be able to even walk away.
I agree, padding on the post would have done nothing.

What would have done something is a taller wall, which they ended up figuring out had to be put in.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #137
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I don't like how the Woman luge is starting from the Junior position. I think luge and skeleton for both men and woman should start from the shorten track, while bobsled starts from the upper position.
keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #138
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Georgians thank Canadians for their compassion following luge death

http://www.vancouversun.com/Georgian...616/story.html

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #139
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,587 Times in 4,319 Posts
The changes made to the track were done to appease the general public, media, athletes and other mourners.

It's a 2 year old course with no fatalities.
Fast? Yes.
Dangerous? Not for the experienced.
Accidents happen.

There was nothing wrong with the track or it's design. I can appreciate why they made the changes to it but also feel that shortening it almost 200M on top of adding the new wall was a little much.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #140
I subscribe to Revscene

clearly it is a dangerous track if someone dies on it.. And why the hell did they want to make it the fastest track in the world? for bragging rights? that was a retarded decision.
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #141
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
The changes made to the track were done to appease the general public, media, athletes and other mourners.

It's a 2 year old course with no fatalities.
Fast? Yes.
Dangerous? Not for the experienced.
Accidents happen.

There was nothing wrong with the track or it's design. I can appreciate why they made the changes to it but also feel that shortening it almost 200M on top of adding the new wall was a little much.
Safety of the track was in question by alot of experienced Luger:

"I think they are pushing it a little too much," [Hannah] Campbell-Pegg said. "To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives."

"American luger Tony Benshoof told NBC: "When I first got on this track, I thought that somebody was going to kill themselves."
[...]
"There is a human limit," says Canadian luge coach and former German doubles medalist Wolfgang Staudinger. "I hope we don't increase the speed of our tracks. Whistler is on the limit."

http://deadspin.com/5470753/tracks-s...re-fatal-crash

Just because the luge was 21 when he died didn't mean he was inexperienced:

""But the argument that Kumaritashvili wasn't really good enough to tackle such a fast layout was rejected by Saakashvili.

“Look, much more decorated sportsmen, as well, have seen the problem,” he said. “This sport of luge, I have found out, is a matter of experience, and it's like Formula One, you need to have experience accumulate with years.

“Having said that … Nodar was a very rapidly progressing sportsman. The last result he showed he was 12th in training. That's a very high result. He came here on merit. He had to go through international competition, he was at this place before – so the last thing you can blame this on is inexperience.”

Kumaritashvili's father and uncle were both lugers, and his uncle was a coach of the French team. His hometown of Borjomi, Saakashvili said, was once the training centre for the entire Soviet Olympic team. And though facilities there have largely been destroyed by war, he said, “I don't think his uncle would have put him at risk if he had not been sure what kind of training and preparation he had gone through.”"

http://www.vancouversun.com/Georgian...616/story.html
Sky_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:25 AM   #142
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Understandably so, this event held back a fellow luger from Georgia from competition.
Instead of competing in an event on the track today (where he was officially stated on the score sheet), he left flowers on the curve 16 and left the Olympics. Such a sad sad event, RIP.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centr...rs+friend+cant

Quote:
WHISTLER - They were fast friends in the fastest of winter sports. They grew up together in the in the town of Borjomi in the thick of the Georgian mountains. They were classmates and training partners; a couple of 21-year-olds eager to test their skills at their first Olympics.

Luge was their sport, their passion.

And now Nodar Kumaritashviliv is gone and his buddy Levan Gureshidzev has become a man so wracked with sorrow he couldn't bring himself to do what they both loved.

Every competitor in Saturday night's opening runs of the men's singles event wore a strip of black tape on the left side of their helmet. It was a symbolic tribute to Mr. Kumaritashvili, who lost control Friday morning coming out of the left side of curve 16 and was catapulted from his sled into a metal pole.

But Mr. Gureshidze wore no stripe, no helmet, no spandex outfit. He was listed on the start sheet but did not compete as the 38th racer down the same track that claimed his teammate. Instead, he laid a bouquet of flowers at curve 16. How do you slide when your friend is gone and so many grieve his loss? It was a question left to others to explain.
chouchou is offline   Reply With Quote