REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Pro Tips for Life Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/610572-pro-tips-life-thread.html)

SkinnyPupp 04-02-2010 01:19 AM

If you open your mouth, the breath with exhale from there rather than the nose, which makes "blowing your nose" into "breathing out of your mouth"

- kT 04-02-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6891101)
If you open your mouth, the breath with exhale from there rather than the nose, which makes "blowing your nose" into "breathing out of your mouth"

just try it
if you don't need to blow your nose, just try opening your mouth and breathing out with your nose
works fine

SkinnyPupp 04-02-2010 01:33 AM

If you need to blow your nose, it means it's blocked up by snot. It will be impossible to get rid of it with your mouth open... Why are you even arguing this? Why am I? :lol I'll just bust out the fails instead.

moomooCow 04-02-2010 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerius (Post 6890813)
This is how i pull it off:

Stop infront of the last sensor, when another car drives by to turn behind you, wait till they stop and move to the first sensor. They usually catch on and stay put.

That's what I do too. Also, from my experience, you have to get on top of the sensors before the perpendicular light changes to yellow in order to activate cheats!

-If you find yourself hitting every red during day time, try and get to the front of the line, then if you accel to ~65 at normal pace and keep at it, you'll be able to make the next light. :thumbsup: Not sure if it applies outside of Vancouver

-At night ( I'm not sure when it starts ) on 49th, crossing Knight Street, that light is controlled solely by the sensor so if you have a car infront of you, let him get ahead of you about half a block? and have him activate the light so that when you get there it'll be green :thumbsup:. Else if you notice on coming traffic heading to the light, just time it so they get to the sensor first. Off the top of my head, I'd say it takes about 10 seconds for the light to change ( granted that it did not just turn red for you. )

- kT 04-02-2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6891110)
If you need to blow your nose, it means it's blocked up by snot. It will be impossible to get rid of it with your mouth open... Why are you even arguing this? Why am I? :lol I'll just bust out the fails instead.

i'm arguing this because i'm sick atm (with a stuffy nose) and after reading your post, i tried blowing my nose and i could do it just fine

i'd throw some fails your way, but it seems like you've disabled fails on your posts or something, since you've been failed 0 times in 0 posts

SkinnyPupp 04-02-2010 02:24 AM

You'd be wrong anyway, so no reason to bother trying ;)

I don't know anyone who has blown out their eardrums by not opening their mouth when blowing.. But if you want to insist on it, go for it :thumbsup:

LiquidTurbo 04-02-2010 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by - kT (Post 6890967)
-Don't baby your car during the break in period. It is not bad to bring the engine to redline every now and then. It is actually good for the engine, proven by many people, that the engine seals expand much better when it is exposed the full range of what it is capable of. The thing you don't want to do is keep it under 3000 rpm during break-in, because I guarantee you that your piston rings wont seat evenly. Highway driving is bad for new cars, because usually you'll drive at a fixed RPM, which means again, the piston rings will not seal fully and you'll burn oil in the later days.

Thanks. I guess you know more than the engineers who designed my car!

- kT 04-02-2010 09:06 AM

Keep in mind, these are just tips i've found online, and aren't written by me

I just found them helpful, if you don't like em, the exit button is just a click away

TOPEC 04-02-2010 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6891085)
How the fuck can you blow your nose with your mouth open?

Quote:

Originally Posted by - kT (Post 6891089)
how can't you =\

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6891101)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6891110)

Quote:

Originally Posted by - kT (Post 6891136)
i'm arguing this because i'm sick atm (with a stuffy nose) and after reading your post, i tried blowing my nose and i could do it just fine

i'd throw some fails your way, but it seems like you've disabled fails on your posts or something, since you've been failed 0 times in 0 posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6891144)

I don't know anyone who has blown out their eardrums by not opening their mouth when blowing.. But if you want to insist on it, go for it :thumbsup:

it actually works, just try breathing through ur nose with ur mouth open.
it's weird but it works. no BS.

underscore 04-02-2010 10:20 AM

^ but only if you block the back of your mouth with your tongue. which is the same damn thing as closing your mouth. when you actually pay attention, if you think about using your nose with your mouth open and tongue out, your body still blocks off the back of your mouth, you should be able to feel this. I just tested all this and I get way less "nose pressure" when I'm sitting like an idiot with my mouth open and tongue out.

So in the end, it's all the same damn thing as you are not going to blow out your eardrums by blowing your nose.

OTG-ZR2 04-02-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by - kT
-Don't baby your car during the break in period. It is not bad to bring the engine to redline every now and then. It is actually good for the engine, proven by many people, that the engine seals expand much better when it is exposed the full range of what it is capable of. The thing you don't want to do is keep it under 3000 rpm during break-in, because I guarantee you that your piston rings wont seat evenly. Highway driving is bad for new cars, because usually you'll drive at a fixed RPM, which means again, the piston rings will not seal fully and you'll burn oil in the later days.
This is very true, at break in period the con rods stretch ever so slightly. This means piston moves towards head a tiny bit more (.001-.004). If the con rod is not fully stretched once the motor is broken in, there is a chance the upper piston ring will break at high RPM's because of colliding with the TDC wear groove left by the piston.

The_AK 04-02-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6891144)

Take a deep breath, close your mouth, plug your nose, and try to breathe out of your nose.

As for keeping your mouth open when exhailing, try clenching your teeth and breathing out of your nostrils, then try to breath out fast = Blowing your nose

MaximalLazy 04-02-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 6891427)
Take a deep breath, close your mouth, plug your nose, and try to breathe out of your nose.

As for keeping your mouth open when exhailing, try clenching your teeth and breathing out of your nostrils, then try to breath out fast = Blowing your nose

As underscore says, your tongue will still block the passage, therefore it's the same as closing of the mouth.

SkinnyPupp 04-02-2010 06:53 PM

^^^ EXACTLY. Just because your LIPS are parted, doesn't mean you MOUTH IS CLOSED. God damn you guys can be retarded sometimes.

So whether you are making the "MMMMMM" sound (mouth closed with lips) or "NNNN" sound (mouth closed with tip of tongue) or "NG" sound (mouth closed with back of tongue), it's all the same damn thing. You can't blow your nose without doing one of those, and that means your mouth is closed. And you can't pop your fucking eardrums blowing your nose, unless you are retarded.

This thread is already stupid using the stupid "lifehacks" term I hate so much, now it's totally retarded with dumb advice about blowing your nose with your mouth open, and ruining your car during the break-in period.

ajax 04-04-2010 04:13 PM

Thanks for the tips! Some users may actually appreciate them unlike a certain member who hates anything that isn't his way with extreme bias.
Posted via RS Mobile

FiveDime 04-04-2010 06:42 PM

here's a life hack for you guys.

Leaving the oven door open after your finished baking w/e. Free Heat ftw!

SkinnyPupp 04-04-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajax (Post 6894235)
Thanks for the tips! Some users may actually appreciate them unlike a certain member who hates anything that isn't his way with extreme bias.
Posted via RS Mobile

You're right, I have a strong bias against idiocy. Go ahead and blow your nose with your mouth open. Otherwise, your eardrums may explode!

I guess it doesn't matter though, because 2012 is right around the corner...

weitaro 04-04-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 6891427)

nevermind..

shenmecar 04-04-2010 07:44 PM

- Milk is good to cure a flaming mouth (due to spicy food)

underscore 04-04-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weitaro (Post 6894459)
I tried breathing out really fast with both nose and mouth..and it works.

definitely doable

the instant you try to have air flow through your nose, the back of your mouth blocks off your mouth to force the air pressure to flow out your nose.

YOU CAN'T BREATHE/BLOW OUT YOUR NOSE WITH YOUR MOUTH *ACTUALLY* OPEN

fuck...

- kT 04-04-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 6894496)
- Milk is good to cure a flaming mouth (due to spicy food)

to add onto this, drinking water when your mouth is burning up is counter productive, as it actually spreads the spiciness around your mouth, making it worse

hk20000 04-04-2010 09:48 PM

if the only thing available to you is water when your mouth is burning, drink it and keep it in your mouth cavity for a while before swallowing helps. Repeat the process and gradually the spice is lifted off the tongue.

DuhDang 04-04-2010 10:28 PM

The eardrum blowing up from sneezing is not about opening your mouth. Have you seen people try to sneeze silent. That can cause some damage.

fishing666 04-04-2010 10:34 PM

skinnypupp, what is your connection to revscene that makes you a moderator?

- kT 04-04-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuhDang (Post 6894836)
The eardrum blowing up from sneezing is not about opening your mouth. Have you seen people try to sneeze silent. That can cause some damage.

as well, one of the things that is advised that you don't do when you have a ruptured eardrum is blow your nose (i can provide sources if needed)

because i can't find any link between blowing your nose and rupturing your ear drum (aside from furthering the damage), i'm going to go ahead and assume it's a myth. i don't check every single one of my facts before i go ahead and post them, so if you see one that you know isn't true, just post a comment and i'll remove it

like i said, i'm just getting these online, not throwing them out at the top of my head