REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Pro Tips for Life Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/610572-pro-tips-life-thread.html)

underscore 04-04-2010 11:26 PM

^ exactly. it does put pressure on it, but not enough to make it blow on its own.

The_AK 04-06-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6891870)
^^^ EXACTLY. Just because your LIPS are parted, doesn't mean you MOUTH IS CLOSED. God damn you guys can be retarded sometimes.

So whether you are making the "MMMMMM" sound (mouth closed with lips) or "NNNN" sound (mouth closed with tip of tongue) or "NG" sound (mouth closed with back of tongue), it's all the same damn thing. You can't blow your nose without doing one of those, and that means your mouth is closed. And you can't pop your fucking eardrums blowing your nose, unless you are retarded.

This thread is already stupid using the stupid "lifehacks" term I hate so much, now it's totally retarded with dumb advice about blowing your nose with your mouth open, and ruining your car during the break-in period.

So next time you go swimming, part your lips. Should be fine since your mouth should still be closed.

LiquidTurbo 04-06-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishing666 (Post 6894848)
skinnypupp, what is your connection to revscene that makes you a moderator?

Dude, that's the worst lifehack tip yet.

tiger_handheld 04-06-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishing666 (Post 6894848)
skinnypupp, what is your connection to revscene that makes you a moderator?

clearly you have not seen the improvements the pupp makes. As much of a nazi he is - he does implement some cool shit. its a love hate thing i guess.

SkinnyPupp 04-07-2010 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 6895901)
So next time you go swimming, part your lips. Should be fine since your mouth should still be closed.

As long as your tongue keeps your mouth closed, you are correct. For once in this thread (unfortunately you were trying to be sarcastic... fail)

ajax 04-07-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6894427)
You're right, I have a strong bias against idiocy. Go ahead and blow your nose with your mouth open. Otherwise, your eardrums may explode!

I guess it doesn't matter though, because 2012 is right around the corner...

Could you tell me exactly where I agreed with the eardrums exploding?

The_AK 04-07-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6896274)
As long as your tongue keeps your mouth closed, you are correct. For once in this thread (unfortunately you were trying to be sarcastic... fail)

Thats a pretty bad LifeHack :\

FN-2199 04-07-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6888249)
Why would you actually want to stop yourself from sneezing?
Its not like your body just randomly causes you to sneeze. If you sneeze its for a reason.

Well, what if you were at a funeral while somebody is making a sentimental speech?

Are you just going to let it loose?

What if you're taking a piss?

Are you going to unleash your sneeze and risk pissing like dog everywhere?

- kT 04-08-2010 01:00 AM

a few more good ones

-Measure your hand from your fingertips to palm and memorize it. Now you can judge the size of anything without a ruler. I've used this my whole life to estimate distances of all kinds of things. Also pick a finger that is pretty close to 1cm or a joint close to 1 inch and remember which is which. You will never need a ruler to estimate again.

-Sore throat or canker sore? Gargling with salt water works wonders for both. Putting salt directly onto the canker sore usually kills it by the next day, at the expense of a short period of immense, agonizing pain.

-Upon waking, drink at least 500ml of water. You are most dehydrated after your done sleeping and it immediately starts your metabolism/bowel movements.

FN-2199 04-08-2010 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by - kT (Post 6897745)
a few more good ones

-Measure your hand from your fingertips to palm and memorize it. Now you can judge the size of anything without a ruler. I've used this my whole life to estimate distances of all kinds of things. Also pick a finger that is pretty close to 1cm or a joint close to 1 inch and remember which is which. You will never need a ruler to estimate again.

An even better one for bigger measurements:

An average person's foot size is about 10 inches, so measure your foot size and add on a few inches to make 12 inches (1 foot). Estimating bigger distances made easy!

- kT 04-08-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iRomey (Post 6897764)
An even better one for bigger measurements:

An average person's foot size is about 10 inches, so measure your foot size and add on a few inches to make 12 inches (1 foot). Estimating bigger distances made easy!

harder to measure with feet then with hands :p

Greenstoner 04-08-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by - kT (Post 6898094)

just measure your shoe size for the big stuff, simple
disregard the inches

FN-2199 04-08-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by - kT (Post 6898094)

Note that I said "bigger measurements."

I wouldn't want to be measuring how big a room is with my hands :p

- kT 04-08-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iRomey (Post 6898117)
Note that I said "bigger measurements."

I wouldn't want to be measuring how big a room is with my hands :p

must've missed that :p

well for the small, everyday measurements, the hand trick works wonders
for bigger measurements using your feet/your shoe should probably be just as good

The_AK 04-14-2010 07:55 PM

http://i41.tinypic.com/2aietyg.jpg

seakrait 04-14-2010 08:11 PM

^^^ i wonder how many flies it would actually take to lift one of those matches. you know, if they survive the freezing process.

Walperstyle 04-28-2010 02:22 AM

The whole 'brainfreeze' and other headaches are actually from your stomach/digestive track.

Its a common mis-conception that a headache is actually your head. 90% of the time it can be fixed by taking a shit, or by eating something different to mix with the substance.

This is also why you have a Hangover. Its the poison in your digestive track. Ever have the beer shits? Feel better afterward? Usually the water does help, but by then its on its way out anyway. Water just helps fill your system afterward, but eating some food is always better. Keep eating and drinking until it stays down.

The most immediate headache is the 'brainfreeze'. A cold subject landing in ones stomach sends immediate pain to the head. Unlike drinking booze, this is very quick, and often can be cured by drinking warm fluids, or eating something warm.

This is my 2 cents. My aunt had horrible migrane headaches that she would always go take some t3's. After 40 years of this, I get her to keep track of what she eats, and it turns out it was something in her diet. PROBLEM SOLVED.

disclaimer: my fiance has some bad headaches too, but in her situation, there is a small brain tumor. SO, Go get a MRI every few years just to be safe and catch things early!!!

Walperstyle 04-28-2010 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slammer111 (Post 6889023)
Just wondering, how much faster (WPM) are we talking? Also did you ever play with DVORAK as well? I've been tempted to try it out as well but I'm afraid it'll eventually mess up my QWERTY skills.

Dont do it if you are any good at typing without looking at the keys. I can do about 90wpm now, and I wont dare try something different. ...better to just learn a new language.

simsimi1004 04-28-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walperstyle (Post 6928545)
The whole 'brainfreeze' and other headaches are actually from your stomach/digestive track.

Its a common mis-conception that a headache is actually your head. 90% of the time it can be fixed by taking a shit, or by eating something different to mix with the substance.

This is also why you have a Hangover. Its the poison in your digestive track. Ever have the beer shits? Feel better afterward? Usually the water does help, but by then its on its way out anyway. Water just helps fill your system afterward, but eating some food is always better. Keep eating and drinking until it stays down.

The most immediate headache is the 'brainfreeze'. A cold subject landing in ones stomach sends immediate pain to the head. Unlike drinking booze, this is very quick, and often can be cured by drinking warm fluids, or eating something warm.

This is my 2 cents. My aunt had horrible migrane headaches that she would always go take some t3's. After 40 years of this, I get her to keep track of what she eats, and it turns out it was something in her diet. PROBLEM SOLVED.

disclaimer: my fiance has some bad headaches too, but in her situation, there is a small brain tumor. SO, Go get a MRI every few years just to be safe and catch things early!!!

brainfreeze has to do with bloodvessels in the roof of mouth, not your stomach. a lifehack for it would be to put something warm in contact with your rooftop whether that be a thumb,warm drink, etc.

Walperstyle 04-28-2010 03:38 AM

Not saying you are wrong, but the 40+ people I've 'cured' might disagree with you. Each person is different.

You can go take a mouth full of ice cream right now and swollow it. It happens when it gets down past your throat. At least with everyone I've talked to. The pushing your tongue up to the roof of your mouth shuts off the air, and helps your body warm up the passage way.

I dont know about you, but i can hold ice in my mouth (and at the back of the throat, its kind of hard but I can, no I dont suck dick) without getting a headache/brainfreeze.

edit: I just did it again because I doubted myself.

TekDragon 04-28-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX_Renesis (Post 6888627)
is there any hacks to curing a headache fast?? lol

Just above the little bit of webbing between your thumb and index is a meaty part of your hand. Pinch the meaty part, and you will feel pain. You're squeezing on a nerve. However, you will relieve the headache. Push as hard as you feel comfortable.

TOPEC 04-28-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walperstyle (Post 6928545)

r u serious? LOLOL

TOPEC 04-28-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekDragon (Post 6929274)
Just above the little bit of webbing between your thumb and index is a meaty part of your hand. Pinch the meaty part, and you will feel pain. You're squeezing on a nerve. However, you will relieve the headache. Push as hard as you feel comfortable.

i'll keep that in mind and see if it works.

ForbiddenX 05-19-2010 10:21 AM

Not sure if this has been posted but if you want fresh fries from mcdonalds or other fast food joints try this:

Ask for UNSALTED fries! They have to take out all the old fries, clean out the thing where they salt the fries and then fry a new batch of fries just for you!

After that go back and ask for some salt packets.

It works ;)

Mugen EvOlutioN 05-19-2010 11:03 AM

interestn