REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Fishing spots around greater Vancouver (https://www.revscene.net/forums/616899-fishing-spots-around-greater-vancouver.html)

afro1314 06-08-2010 01:59 PM

Fishing spots around greater Vancouver

With the warmer weather hitting, more and more people are starting to take their fishing rods out..

My friends and I have been going around town trying to look for good fishing spots, but so far, haven't had much luck.

I know there was a thread of fishing on No. 2 Rd in Richmond, but the only fish we got was a bull head. We also tried fishing by the waters near North Shore AutoMall, Ambleside where the rocks are and Garry Point but still no luck.

Is there something that we are doing wrong here? We tried all types of baits ranging from shrimps, anchovies, flour n peanut butter, pork neck? etc..

Is it the time of day? We tried day and night..

Anyone got any idea on what we are doing wrong or just at the wrong places..we are looking for all other types of fish other than the bull head..

Greenstoner 06-08-2010 02:07 PM

why dont you try some lakes ?

PinoyDrifta 06-08-2010 02:09 PM

well i use worms and i fish of 2 rd docks for pikeminnows, white fish, peamouth chub...and i do pretty good...hardly any bull head...i use a 4lb test line and small hooks and weights and wait for bites...works for me...i ussually fish for these small fish so i can use them as bait for bigger fish...ie: sturgeon...u can catch all sorts in the waters of gary point 2 rd docks 3 rd docks...there are some bull trout and cutty...biting in just be patient and you will catch...actually im gonna go fish now....2 rd docks...come if u like...

Presto 06-08-2010 02:10 PM

One of my sister's co-workers is a hardcore fisher. His early-morning, pre-work, fishing outings are done on the Capilano River, in North Van. He seems to catch some coho almost everytime he goes.

1exotic 06-08-2010 02:16 PM

What your doing wrong:
- your fishing in Richmond.

Take some FRESH shrimp and go fishing early in the morning in an actual lake... or even the ocean (that's usually the best bet to catch bigger and better fish).

There's quite a bit of good lakes in the lower mainland but not sure about Vancouver.

Eastwood 06-08-2010 02:23 PM

You might have to leave Vancouver. The Island is full of great fishing spots.

PinoyDrifta 06-08-2010 02:58 PM

fishing in richmond is actually really good...u just have to look for the spots...where they are biting....during the late summer around august and sept....the pacific salmon....run thru the fraser river....and yes u can catch them...trust me...know your shit first before u make an opinion....

PinoyDrifta 06-08-2010 03:26 PM

lol 1exotic...trust me i have fished Richmond for the past year or so...and i have caught all sorts of things...and yes trust me these rivers along the dykes of richmond is KNOWN as the Fraser River and it is a hwy for fish....lots of FISH!!!

afro1314 06-08-2010 04:32 PM

i don't have gear nor know anything about fly fishing or lake fishing, we mostly fish off shores, we look for rocky areas to see if there is any rock cod or anything like that.
we were lucky last weekend and got 2 small green lings near ambleside, but that was like 2 fish in 5 hours.

any suggestions on bait/time of day et?

- kT 06-08-2010 07:49 PM

what type of fish are you looking for? just any kind?

i'd suggest going to a lake. one of the best trips i remember from when i was kid was when i went to buntzen lake with my dad for rainbow trout. caught a whole bunch off a little boat, then went home and had it for dinner. must say, best fish i've ever eaten

another place i remember is that little island just across from the little dock at the end of 2 road. again, you'd need a boat, but when i went we got a whole bunch of pretty big salmon

but i guess the real question here is - do you own or have access to a boat?

afro1314 06-08-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by - kT (Post 6983485)
what type of fish are you looking for? just any kind?

i'd suggest going to a lake. one of the best trips i remember from when i was kid was when i went to buntzen lake with my dad for rainbow trout. caught a whole bunch off a little boat, then went home and had it for dinner. must say, best fish i've ever eaten

another place i remember is that little island just across from the little dock at the end of 2 road. again, you'd need a boat, but when i went we got a whole bunch of pretty big salmon

No...no access to a boat, so that's why we fish offshore. We are looking for more tidal water fishing...

Posted via RS Mobile

1exotic 06-08-2010 11:16 PM

I have a boat and ocean fishing is the best hands down ^

if you find good spots you'll be pulling in monsters every minute... also so much flexibility to get around as there's a lot of good places.

PinoyDrifta 06-09-2010 12:25 AM

i just came home from fishing at 3 rd docks...hooked a 5 and a half foot sturgeon...jumped out of the water got him close...then my leader snapped...and buddy of mine landed his 3 foot sturgeon...

nismook 06-09-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinoyDrifta (Post 6983918)
i just came home from fishing at 3 rd docks...hooked a 5 and a half foot sturgeon...jumped out of the water got him close...then my leader snapped...and buddy of mine landed his 3 foot sturgeon...

Where is this? on Google MAPS

TOPEC 06-09-2010 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nismook (Post 6983943)
Where is this? on Google MAPS

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,187.36,,0,4.2

afro1314 06-09-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinoyDrifta (Post 6983918)

what did you use to catch sturgeon, that's by the dock right? i've been there a couple of times but didn't get anything except bullheads

PinoyDrifta 06-09-2010 01:30 PM

right now im using my 8 ft salmon rod...with a 100 lb braided line....i know my rod is not big enough it will soon come in the mail...but for the moment thats my gear...and use Eulachon as bait...

TOPEC 06-09-2010 01:33 PM

whats the min line needed to catch sturgens?

PinoyDrifta 06-09-2010 01:36 PM

some people use 60 lb 80 lb 100 lb other 130...-150...but really i would use 100 is good enough for shore fishing..well thats what i have been told...and most people there use that...with a 10-12 foot ugly stik......and use atleast 8-12 ounce weight...with a 75lb nylon sturgeon leader..

shenmecar 06-09-2010 01:41 PM

how about crabbing? i only know of the dock at Jericho that you can crab, where else is a good crabbing spot?

Spectre_Cdn 06-09-2010 02:19 PM

Question for those fishing at 2 rd. and 3 rd.:
Is the fish you catch safe to eat (the ones that are worth eating that is)? Because the water in that section looks murky and polluted with all the boat traffic.

TOPEC 06-09-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinoyDrifta (Post 6984551)
some people use 60 lb 80 lb 100 lb other 130...-150...but really i would use 100 is good enough for shore fishing..well thats what i have been told...and most people there use that...with a 10-12 foot ugly stik......and use atleast 8-12 ounce weight...with a 75lb nylon sturgeon leader..

wow, lol my 11foot ugly stick only has a 40lb line ont he reel, maybe i'll catch small sturgens lol.

PinoyDrifta 06-09-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn (Post 6984607)
Question for those fishing at 2 rd. and 3 rd.:
Is the fish you catch safe to eat (the ones that are worth eating that is)? Because the water in that section looks murky and polluted with all the boat traffic.

Yeah sure the fish out of fraser river is good to eat but pick out what u wanna eat!!!
Posted via RS Mobile

distanc3 06-09-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 6984559)
how about crabbing? i only know of the dock at Jericho that you can crab, where else is a good crabbing spot?

local crabbing has be abolished and raped by C-lais with no ethics. They take all everything that they pull up and kill the crab population. Remember most local places if not all restrict crabbing after sundown.

afro1314 06-13-2010 03:49 PM

oh hold on guys..it's another sunny weekend and i still didn't really get the answer to my question yet.

I'm looking for tidal water, off shore places to fish in greater vancouver. and what kind of bait do you use?

i don't have a boat nor going to fish in a lake.

thanks