REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 06-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Fishing spots around greater Vancouver

With the warmer weather hitting, more and more people are starting to take their fishing rods out..

My friends and I have been going around town trying to look for good fishing spots, but so far, haven't had much luck.

I know there was a thread of fishing on No. 2 Rd in Richmond, but the only fish we got was a bull head. We also tried fishing by the waters near North Shore AutoMall, Ambleside where the rocks are and Garry Point but still no luck.

Is there something that we are doing wrong here? We tried all types of baits ranging from shrimps, anchovies, flour n peanut butter, pork neck? etc..

Is it the time of day? We tried day and night..

Anyone got any idea on what we are doing wrong or just at the wrong places..we are looking for all other types of fish other than the bull head..
Advertisement
afro1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
why dont you try some lakes ?
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #3

well i use worms and i fish of 2 rd docks for pikeminnows, white fish, peamouth chub...and i do pretty good...hardly any bull head...i use a 4lb test line and small hooks and weights and wait for bites...works for me...i ussually fish for these small fish so i can use them as bait for bigger fish...ie: sturgeon...u can catch all sorts in the waters of gary point 2 rd docks 3 rd docks...there are some bull trout and cutty...biting in just be patient and you will catch...actually im gonna go fish now....2 rd docks...come if u like...
PinoyDrifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
One of my sister's co-workers is a hardcore fisher. His early-morning, pre-work, fishing outings are done on the Capilano River, in North Van. He seems to catch some coho almost everytime he goes.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
What your doing wrong:
- your fishing in Richmond.

Take some FRESH shrimp and go fishing early in the morning in an actual lake... or even the ocean (that's usually the best bet to catch bigger and better fish).

There's quite a bit of good lakes in the lower mainland but not sure about Vancouver.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

You might have to leave Vancouver. The Island is full of great fishing spots.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #7

fishing in richmond is actually really good...u just have to look for the spots...where they are biting....during the late summer around august and sept....the pacific salmon....run thru the fraser river....and yes u can catch them...trust me...know your shit first before u make an opinion....
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #8

lol 1exotic...trust me i have fished Richmond for the past year or so...and i have caught all sorts of things...and yes trust me these rivers along the dykes of richmond is KNOWN as the Fraser River and it is a hwy for fish....lots of FISH!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #9

i don't have gear nor know anything about fly fishing or lake fishing, we mostly fish off shores, we look for rocky areas to see if there is any rock cod or anything like that.
we were lucky last weekend and got 2 small green lings near ambleside, but that was like 2 fish in 5 hours.

any suggestions on bait/time of day et?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
what type of fish are you looking for? just any kind?

i'd suggest going to a lake. one of the best trips i remember from when i was kid was when i went to buntzen lake with my dad for rainbow trout. caught a whole bunch off a little boat, then went home and had it for dinner. must say, best fish i've ever eaten

another place i remember is that little island just across from the little dock at the end of 2 road. again, you'd need a boat, but when i went we got a whole bunch of pretty big salmon

but i guess the real question here is - do you own or have access to a boat?
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
what type of fish are you looking for? just any kind?

i'd suggest going to a lake. one of the best trips i remember from when i was kid was when i went to buntzen lake with my dad for rainbow trout. caught a whole bunch off a little boat, then went home and had it for dinner. must say, best fish i've ever eaten

another place i remember is that little island just across from the little dock at the end of 2 road. again, you'd need a boat, but when i went we got a whole bunch of pretty big salmon
No...no access to a boat, so that's why we fish offshore. We are looking for more tidal water fishing...

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by afro1314; 06-09-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
I have a boat and ocean fishing is the best hands down ^

if you find good spots you'll be pulling in monsters every minute... also so much flexibility to get around as there's a lot of good places.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #13

i just came home from fishing at 3 rd docks...hooked a 5 and a half foot sturgeon...jumped out of the water got him close...then my leader snapped...and buddy of mine landed his 3 foot sturgeon...
Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #14
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyDrifta View Post
i just came home from fishing at 3 rd docks...hooked a 5 and a half foot sturgeon...jumped out of the water got him close...then my leader snapped...and buddy of mine landed his 3 foot sturgeon...
Where is this? on Google MAPS
nismook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #15
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismook View Post
Where is this? on Google MAPS
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,187.36,,0,4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #16

Quote:
what did you use to catch sturgeon, that's by the dock right? i've been there a couple of times but didn't get anything except bullheads
Old 06-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #17

right now im using my 8 ft salmon rod...with a 100 lb braided line....i know my rod is not big enough it will soon come in the mail...but for the moment thats my gear...and use Eulachon as bait...
Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #18

whats the min line needed to catch sturgens?
Quote:
Quote:
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #19

some people use 60 lb 80 lb 100 lb other 130...-150...but really i would use 100 is good enough for shore fishing..well thats what i have been told...and most people there use that...with a 10-12 foot ugly stik......and use atleast 8-12 ounce weight...with a 75lb nylon sturgeon leader..
Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #20
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
how about crabbing? i only know of the dock at Jericho that you can crab, where else is a good crabbing spot?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #21
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Question for those fishing at 2 rd. and 3 rd.:
Is the fish you catch safe to eat (the ones that are worth eating that is)? Because the water in that section looks murky and polluted with all the boat traffic.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #22

Quote:
some people use 60 lb 80 lb 100 lb other 130...-150...but really i would use 100 is good enough for shore fishing..well thats what i have been told...and most people there use that...with a 10-12 foot ugly stik......and use atleast 8-12 ounce weight...with a 75lb nylon sturgeon leader..
wow, lol my 11foot ugly stick only has a 40lb line ont he reel, maybe i'll catch small sturgens lol.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
Question for those fishing at 2 rd. and 3 rd.:
Is the fish you catch safe to eat (the ones that are worth eating that is)? Because the water in that section looks murky and polluted with all the boat traffic.
Yeah sure the fish out of fraser river is good to eat but pick out what u wanna eat!!!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #24
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
how about crabbing? i only know of the dock at Jericho that you can crab, where else is a good crabbing spot?
local crabbing has be abolished and raped by C-lais with no ethics. They take all everything that they pull up and kill the crab population. Remember most local places if not all restrict crabbing after sundown.
distanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #25

oh hold on guys..it's another sunny weekend and i still didn't really get the answer to my question yet.

I'm looking for tidal water, off shore places to fish in greater vancouver. and what kind of bait do you use?

i don't have a boat nor going to fish in a lake.

thanks