REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #51
Banned (BBM)

well i guess we better pray that GT3 is cheaper to maintain

afterall the original price tag MSRP is lower than other exotics, Lambo, F430 etc

nonetheless....great pick up
Advertisement
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #52
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Should be. Not too much huge of a diff to std 911. And 911 arent bad reliability wise
Posted via RS Mobile
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #53
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
The only $25k M3's I've seen are higher mileage pre '04 cars. And in reading your list of repair items, that $25k M3 will quickly turn into a $35k M3 if you are unlucky.

The M3 is a good jack of all trades car, but I don't think it's by no means a used car bargain. There are going to be a lot of young kids with $25k in hand buying a beat on M3 and finding themselves in over their head when they have issues with the sub-frame, VANOS or simply having to pay for a valve adjustment.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic car. A good buddy just picked up a clean example last year. But, IMO, no, it's not the best used car purchase for $25k.

Kev
Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #54
Banned (BBM)

it is still one of the best 6 cylinder car ever made tho

just gotta prepare a deeper pocket for mainteance after picking it up for cheap ($25-32g)
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #55
I subscribe to Revscene

Unreliable car
Posted via RS Mobile
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #56
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

The E46 n/a with an exhaust sounds worse than any fartcan civic i've ever heard. It's probally one of the worst sounding bmw's ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livre View Post
The M3 looks better, sounds better, and its a BMW after all not a Chevrolet.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #57
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
The E46 n/a with an exhaust sounds worse than any fartcan civic i've ever heard. It's probally one of the worst sounding bmw's ever.

.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #58
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

this thread is so much of fail...
With lower labour rate and 10% discount in parts, ispection2 is actually cheaper than I thought..
lol

Last edited by ALEX1988; 06-26-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: youtube posting fail
ALEX1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #59
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Yah. If you are getting all the maintenance done by the stealership of course its going to be expensive. Its not that bad if you bring it to a indy shop
Posted via RS Mobile
ShyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2010, 01:41 AM   #60
Need my Daily Fix of RS

e39 m5 > e46 m3
sleazyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #61
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
With ITB and the highly tuned inline 6, BMW is stuck with that sound unfortunately. But u can always stick your fart can from a civic on your BMW to make it sound like one.
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #62
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
The only $25k M3's I've seen are higher mileage pre '04 cars. And in reading your list of repair items, that $25k M3 will quickly turn into a $35k M3 if you are unlucky.

The M3 is a good jack of all trades car, but I don't think it's by no means a used car bargain. There are going to be a lot of young kids with $25k in hand buying a beat on M3 and finding themselves in over their head when they have issues with the sub-frame, VANOS or simply having to pay for a valve adjustment.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic car. A good buddy just picked up a clean example last year. But, IMO, no, it's not the best used car purchase for $25k.

Kev
No kidding, sounds like these cars can get you WAY over your head if youre not careful about planning and staying on top of routine maintenence.

BMW is the only euro brand that id ever consider buying from, but those big $$$ repair bills keep me from pulling the trigger.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #63
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I think it's hilarious how people on RS make it sound like owning European cars guarantees massive repair bills.

Yes, the car is slightly less reliable than a Honda/Toyota, but it's not an exotic or something. You can still rely on your car to start every day and get you from point A to point B without any issues.

Parts are a bit more expensive, yes, but hourly labour rates from an independent shop shouldn't be any more than you'd pay at a Honda/Toyota dealership, for example.

There are a few known issues on early-model M3's, but even then they affect a small percentage of vehicles... you're not guaranteed (or even likely) to get one needing subframe repairs or VANOS failure or whatever else, especially if you have it inspected before buying.

Besides, you get what you pay for... the e46 M3 is a brilliant car. Even if it costs you a few hundred dollars more in maintenance every year, wouldn't you be willing to pay that for pleasure of driving it every day?

My e46, although not an M3, is reliable enough even with 140,000km on it... and it's a sheer joy to own and drive. I'd never trade it in for a lesser car even if it meant I'd save a thousand dollars a year on maintenance.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
I think it's hilarious how people on RS make it sound like owning European cars guarantees massive repair bills.

Yes, the car is slightly less reliable than a Honda/Toyota, but it's not an exotic or something. You can still rely on your car to start every day and get you from point A to point B without any issues.

Parts are a bit more expensive, yes, but hourly labour rates from an independent shop shouldn't be any more than you'd pay at a Honda/Toyota dealership, for example.

There are a few known issues on early-model M3's, but even then they affect a small percentage of vehicles... you're not guaranteed (or even likely) to get one needing subframe repairs or VANOS failure or whatever else, especially if you have it inspected before buying.

Besides, you get what you pay for... the e46 M3 is a brilliant car. Even if it costs you a few hundred dollars more in maintenance every year, wouldn't you be willing to pay that for pleasure of driving it every day?

My e46, although not an M3, is reliable enough even with 140,000km on it... and it's a sheer joy to own and drive. I'd never trade it in for a lesser car even if it meant I'd save a thousand dollars a year on maintenance.
If it were as small as an extra 2k a year on maintenance, I wouldnt mind at all.

Its all the horror stories ive heard about M3's that ive heard about them having poor oiling problems in the block, that VANOS problem etc.

Ive owned hondas for the last 8 years though, so ive also been spoiled with cheap repair costs.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #65

You honestly think that sounds good?

Those clips sound like complete shit... No way would I invest in aftermarket pipes for an M3 after hearing that garbage.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnold View Post
If it were as small as an extra 2k a year on maintenance, I wouldnt mind at all.

Its all the horror stories ive heard about M3's that ive heard about them having poor oiling problems in the block, that VANOS problem etc.

Ive owned hondas for the last 8 years though, so ive also been spoiled with cheap repair costs.
Most problems are on 01-02 models, IIRC, and even then they certainly aren't "common". There will be some lemons out there, no doubt, but if you do your homework and keep up with preventative maintenance I highly doubt you'll have any problems at all. As with any car, get a pre-purchase inspection and try to get a hold of maintenance records to ensure any recalls have been done.

90%+ of e46 M3's are still on the road without any major problems. For an $85,000 car (new) with outstanding performance, you're not likely to find anything that's much cheaper to own.

Quote:

Those clips sound like complete shit... No way would I invest in aftermarket pipes for an M3 after hearing that garbage.
I like the sound of the high-strung I6 engine with the stock exhaust. It can get a bit raspy at high-RPM but what do you expect? It's a 3.2L straight-6 that revs to 8300rpm or whatever, so it's not gonna sound like a 5.0L V8.

S54 motor was on the "best engines" award list four years in a row I believe. Not as smooth as the non-M straight-6's but still incredibly balanced compared to V6's and 4-bangers. The car is just a blast to drive, only other car that compares in terms of outright driving joy (for me, anyway) was the S2000. Except the M3 has torque, so it has usable power at the bottom end when driving around town.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #67
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:

what about this?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #68
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:

you drive a 10 years old honda...
you probably can't even afford the engine oil needed in the M3 even if the car is given to you for free.

my 02 Carbon Black E46 M3 was the first batch of cars with SMG in HK, and so far only small electrical problems occurs till now (windows went down on its own, and alarm went off on its own) both fixed by BMW within a day. Other then the schedule maintenance and wear and tear (brakes, clutch, tires....etc) maintenance the car has been fine.

my 05 Silver Grey in van had absolutely no problem even after I drove it like I stole it most of the time. I even used the launch control almost daily. BMW even gave me a new clutch before the warranty period was over.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #69
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
I like the sound of the high-strung I6 engine with the stock exhaust. It can get a bit raspy at high-RPM but what do you expect? It's a 3.2L straight-6 that revs to 8300rpm or whatever, so it's not gonna sound like a 5.0L V8.
the rasp is what make the M3 sound so good, especially mixed in with the ITB sound from the engine

even a 360 Modena's 3.6 high revving V8 is raspy as hell
Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
That sounds pretty badass!

Although straight pipes and wide open throttle on most engines with any sort of power will sound mean.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
you drive a 10 years old honda...
you probably can't even afford the engine oil needed in the M3 even if the car is given to you for free.

my 02 Carbon Black E46 M3 was the first batch of cars with SMG in HK, and so far only small electrical problems occurs till now (windows went down on its own, and alarm went off on its own) both fixed by BMW within a day. Other then the schedule maintenance and wear and tear (brakes, clutch, tires....etc) maintenance the car has been fine.

my 05 Silver Grey in van had absolutely no problem even after I drove it like I stole it most of the time. I even used the launch control almost daily. BMW even gave me a new clutch before the warranty period was over.
Half of the guys I work with drive diesel trucks worth at least as much as any e46 M3. Its not some kind of special exclusive car....

The rest of this post is most likely bullshit anyways lol.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
the rasp is what make the M3 sound so good, especially mixed in with the ITB sound from the engine

even a 360 Modena's 3.6 high revving V8 is raspy as hell
Agreed. I actually really like it. Form over function. The nice thing about the M3, imo, is that it's very civilized when you're driving around town. It's quiet, comfortable, and won't bounce you around over every bump and dip in the road. Engine noise is audible under moderate acceleration, but just a pleasant grumble. The rasp of the exhaust takes over at high RPM's.

Quote:

Although straight pipes and wide open throttle on most engines with any sort of power will sound mean.
Sounds cool, but if that's the sound you're looking for then you will want to avoid driving within 10 miles of any police as you're absolutely certain to get pulled over. That thing was loud as hell, not something I'd want on a DD anyway. Not that it would ever pass AirCare anyway, so it's a moot point...

Quote:
Half of the guys I work with drive diesel trucks worth at least as much as any e46 M3. Its not some kind of special exclusive car....
That's the point. For $25k you can own a very high performance luxury sports car, which means it's entered the "affordable" realm for many average people. It's not a 911 or an SL63, but it's very quick and very very fun to drive. Would you rather a diesel truck or an M3?

I own an e46 330ci and if M3's were only $25k back when I bought this car I would be driving one right now, no question about it. It's really a bargain for that kind of car. Very few other vehicles have the same balance between daily comfort/practicality and raw, high-revving sports car performance.

You could get a faster car, like a Z06, but would you want to drive it around town every day? Especially one that's 8 years old? I don't really mind the car overall, and there's no denying it's fast, but it's far less practical than an M3.

Last edited by Amaru; 06-27-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #73
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:

Would love to hear some sort of mean sound from your B18C1 engine !
I've said that just to pick on you ! Just to let you know, I do have a B16 EG civic and a E46 M3.
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:40 PM   #74
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Agreed. I actually really like it. Form over function. The nice thing about the M3, imo, is that it's very civilized when you're driving around town. It's quiet, comfortable, and won't bounce you around over every bump and dip in the road. Engine noise is audible under moderate acceleration, but just a pleasant grumble. The rasp of the exhaust takes over at high RPM's.
The M3 actually doesn't sound "happy" when you are driving it slow around town, it always want you to step on it harder, but once you step on it a bit, it opens up and the car itself will feel excited and will bring a smile on your face.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #75
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:

having a open throttle and having independent throttle body is a big difference, not very many cars from factory actually have independent throttle body.