REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #226
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,462 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotong View Post
it can also smoke your imaginary lambo
you cant forget the zonda man
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
I sold my Yaris 5 years ago, and seriously, IT IS better than your shit box civics. The mods I have for that car is probably worth more than your whole self-worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joreus View Post
After spending some time reading through this thread, I now know how to give a killer blowjob. Thanks revscene.

2005 richmond transportation device
nack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #227
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivan6 View Post
you cant forget the zonda man
Zonda would have trouble even passing an RSX Premium, let alone the Type-S.

Koenigsegg CCX might have trouble passing the RSX-S but would probably pull once it hit 5th gear.

However, RSX has lower maintenance costs and is more reliable. Zondas and Koenigsegg's are poser cars.

Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #228

Thanked 1,462 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post

Koenigsegg CCX might have trouble passing the RSX-S but would probably pull once it hit 5th gear.

However, RSX has lower maintenance costs and is more reliable. Zondas and Koenigsegg's are poser cars.

you got me there man, DAMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
I sold my Yaris 5 years ago, and seriously, IT IS better than your shit box civics. The mods I have for that car is probably worth more than your whole self-worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joreus View Post
After spending some time reading through this thread, I now know how to give a killer blowjob. Thanks revscene.

2005 richmond transportation device
nack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #229
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,701 Times in 1,158 Posts
Hey guys, what would you think - between the choice of a similar condition (mint-ish) M3 coupe, or a VW Phaeton W12, what would you have?

I really really admire the Phaeton - VW's most unrecognized amazing car. But I also like the M3.

Torn!
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #230
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Hey guys, what would you think - between the choice of a similar condition (mint-ish) M3 coupe, or a VW Phaeton W12, what would you have?

I really really admire the Phaeton - VW's most unrecognized amazing car. But I also like the M3.

Torn!
Those are completely different styles of car. The M3 is a great sports car, but the Phaeton is a fantastic luxury car. It depends what you would want...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #231
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:

Torn!
Which do you value more: luxury, or performance? The M3 is a driver's car, built for those who regularly enjoy spirited driving. The Phaeton is a large luxury vehicle built for comfort.

If you like to drive fast and you prefer a smaller car, get the M3. If you prefer luxury and want something a bit bigger, go for the Phaeton.

I have no idea how reliable the Phaeton is, but I would imagine they'd both be similar in terms of cost of ownership.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #232
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

The Phaeton is quite the luxury cruiser...most underrated luxury vehicle. They're totally different cars though. You gotta ask yourself what you're looking for.

I went from a M3 to a E55 and I don't like the change. I'm wanting to go back to a smaller better handling car.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #233

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
Set aside $15k a year in maintenance and contingency funds for a E46 M3 over 100k+ km, is this accurate?
no, not $15K a year.....avg maintenance costs for a M3 under 100K kms, would be approx. $1K to $2K per yr, depending if you need to replace consumables like pads, rotors, tires. Regular annual maintenance is like any other car....every 30K kms you have to do a valve adjustment ($200).

The E46 is a very reliable car, the potential vanos, rear subframe, SMG issues are not common...just worst case scenarios.....
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #234

Quote:

Torn!

there is a reason Phaeton's are cheap......totally different cars man....
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 07-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #235
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
no, not $15K a year.....avg maintenance costs for a M3 under 100K kms, would be approx. $1K to $2K per yr, depending if you need to replace consumables like pads, rotors, tires. Regular annual maintenance is like any other car....every 30K kms you have to do a valve adjustment ($200).

The E46 is a very reliable car, the potential vanos, rear subframe, SMG issues are not common...just worst case scenarios.....
Thanks guys - I'm simply going by some of the older E46 (non-M3) recommendations - they certainly don't seem cheap.

One I'm looking at are 25k-30k range but several of them are approaching 100k range if not over. Would the cost still be 2-3k a year in maintenance then or is this simply the time/reason people sell them?
JDMStyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #236

There is a low mileage 2004 selling at a coquitlam chrysler dealership I think. It has 50K kms and is asking $28k.

Around 100K km, expect the fuel pump and alternator and battery to go. After you fix these things it should be good for awhile. I had all of those replaced for less than $1K.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #237
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
Around 100K km, expect the fuel pump and alternator and battery to go. After you fix these things it should be good for awhile. I had all of those replaced for less than $1K.
This is an interesting topic.
On my S, it was 4 years old when I bought it and within a month, I had to replace the battery. Then 3 months later, I had to get the valves adjusted.
Knock on wood, 4 years later, still on the same alternator and belts but I do have the replacement belts sitting at home. My biggest repair cost was to rebuild the head thanks to some crack vavle retainers and new LCA's since the compliance bushings wore out. Head was over $1K for parts and labour while the LCA's were $800 for parts and labour.

Based on these regular items, the cost of maintenance on an M3 really isn't that much higher if not lower than my S.

I remember hearing about some of the horror stories about how much parts cost to repair older BMW's. One guy said he had to pay $700 for a new rad on his older 535.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #238

Rebuilt alternator was $200, new BMW fuel pump $350, $100 (Mini-CSL Battery). It's really not that expensive compared to other cars. You just gotta know where to look. There are always going to be people who will tell you they spent $800 for a alternator on his honda civic. Well yes, if you go to the dealership to get it fixed then yes probably.

I did all the servicing myself on the M3 including the valve adjustments. It's not that hard to work with and is a lot cheaper to maintain than you all make it out to be. Just be prepared to have some money ready for maintenance when the car hits 100K km. After that you're good to go for awhile.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #239
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

No, again you misunderstand. Poser cars are base models that are pumped out by the thousands like 330's 335's etc. Ideally ones where u can slap an M badge on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post

Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #240
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
There is a low mileage 2004 selling at a coquitlam chrysler dealership I think. It has 50K kms and is asking $28k.

found the car on craigslist:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...835070813.html
6mt, coupe, low mileage, no accident.
28k is a steal..
ALEX1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
Thanks guys - I'm simply going by some of the older E46 (non-M3) recommendations - they certainly don't seem cheap.

One I'm looking at are 25k-30k range but several of them are approaching 100k range if not over. Would the cost still be 2-3k a year in maintenance then or is this simply the time/reason people sell them?
The price gap between 330ci ZHP and M3 are probably $5K difference. For approx $5K more you get a far superior car even though they look similar.

Spend a little extra up front for a clean title low km and you will be way further ahead. I bought my 03 M3 with 18K kms on it and sold it at 52K kms....I was anal on fluid changes, but I never had a single problem on my M3...other than someone rear ending me. I would stay away from any M3 over 100k kms even if it sounds like a good deal....as Shyguy stated, most things start to go....especially FCABs and RCABs.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #242
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Just checking, but I am pretty sure it is a 6 spd and not a 5 spd like the ad right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX1988 View Post
found the car on craigslist:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...835070813.html
6mt, coupe, low mileage, no accident.
28k is a steal..
anyone looking for an M3...this is the one to get.....55K kms and asking $28.9...I bet if you offered him $25K, they would take it.......looks stock and if it doesn't have any serious accidents.....this is a good one!
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R