REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #76
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuel_1 View Post
This thread is exactly why native people won't / can't assimilate, we are all the same to you. Me i'll be fine because I was raised by a woman who instilled confidence in me. I know I am your equal, most first nations don't know that.
Posted via RS Mobile
By "we are all the same to you" you mean that you're all poverty stricken, crime ridden, social outcasts, then no.

You guys are all the same because you guys get benefits that the rest of Canadians do not qualify for in tax exemptions, band funds, post-secondary educational favouring.

Even if you guys rise out of poverty, crime, and social class, you will still be ire of the nation until you have those entitlement removed from you.
Advertisement
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #77
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Sorry but the Natives are a lost cause and the government should just cut them off. It's a waste of money and resources.

Seriously, give them nothing...what are they going to do about it? Go to war? If they don't like it, they'll have to make something of themselves. If not then they'll just be another extinct race that won't be missed anywhere. You never hear anyone say "Damn, I wish the Aztecs weren't wiped out."

No one will care. They've made few contributions to the human race and are a drain on society.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #78
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
By "we are all the same to you" you mean that you're all poverty stricken, crime ridden, social outcasts, then no.

You guys are all the same because you guys get benefits that the rest of Canadians do not qualify for in tax exemptions, band funds, post-secondary educational favouring.

Even if you guys rise out of poverty, crime, and social class, you will still be ire of the nation until you have those entitlement removed from you.
by were all the same I mean regular people Im a much better person than you could ever hope to be
Posted via RS Mobile
deuel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Sorry but the Natives are a lost cause and the government should just cut them off. It's a waste of money and resources.

Seriously, give them nothing...what are they going to do about it? Go to war? If they don't like it, they'll have to make something of themselves. If not then they'll just be another extinct race that won't be missed anywhere. You never hear anyone say "Damn, I wish the Aztecs weren't wiped out."

No one will care. They've made few contributions to the human race and are a drain on society.
I could care less about them being cut off I grew up the same as everyone else here never had a tax exemption in my life. Why you ask I don't live on a shitty reserve that's why. Ya I was funded for my education that's the extent of my government hand out. Which was not a direct hand out the government gives the money to the bands who than use that money for different departments some use more for educational spending than others mine happened to be one of the ones that used less and my brother is paying off a student loan just like the non spoiled rich kids around here
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #80
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I don't have an educated opinion on this topic, but here's my strong thoughts. Correct me where I'm wrong:

The natives are a group of people who have been done wrong by the whiteman a million years ago or whatever, and Canada was nice enough to give them some land and voice, which they clearly like to express.

Ever since, the natives have their land placed under a bridge, near rivers, basically not the mo's desirable of places. they understandably hold a grudge.

My guess is they will probably never start respecting the whiteman even if they some how become the majority and start dominating in government, legal power , etc.

Now, Canada, especially BC, is very multicultural and we share the cities with Asians, Europeans, africans, etc... Many of whom migrate without speaking the language, and yet they become a part within the melting pot. But then, right across town we have a group of people who live along us, but for some reason they are not part of us.

Not only do we share land, these people have been given their own land, AND if that's not good enough, they are given perks. Like a house, or education, the kind of things the people around them have to work really hard for and lately most of them may never be able to afford all. And to run salt in the wound, majority of time the money and kickbacks are completely wasted, along with the people receiving them. Really nice of Canada.

I think this is where most people in this thread start sharing the same thoughts and anger. Wiith all of these advantages, natives still have the mindframe to ask why the rest of society around them, doesn't view them as equals. Gee, you think? Kind of reminds me of that joke about feminists who fight for equality, but where are they when the bill comes?

I'm not racist towards native people. Maybe just peeved at them. it's turned into a bad cycle now, and it has to end. Government needs to stop giving them money, the same money that can be very useful for society during recession so everyone benefits, not just one group. They need to say that's enough, no more complaints, demands, join the rest of us or quite frankly do your own thing.

I'd even be happy to see one last effort by putting that money into programs to councel, train, and rehabilitate to join one society, rather than to SUPPORT.

Ofcourse, that will never happen. I hate to say it, but as ignorant as it sounds... The natives are the cancerous moles on our back, time to remove it.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #81
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
My big thing with the natives is they don't know the difference between a sidewalk and road. Just tonight driving on that strech of road on Hastings near the PNE. A native guy was walking across the middle of the road dressed in black without looking, just barely missed from killing him, or breaking both his legs at the least.

PS, can someone please explain this to me. Natives use to live in the "nature" and shit hundreds of years ago. How come they want or need "land". Can't they just live in a normal house, like normal people? I mean it's fuckin 2010, BRO. BROLOSKI.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:20 AM   #82

But your views are all skewed and incorrect. Natives pay for their homes they just pay less than you, but struggle with those debts just as much or more because they have hard times gettingthe job that you got because your not a drunk. Who's to say he is? Well you of course cause all natives are the same once we come off the reserve were all just drunken savages lookingto hurt you than we scurry back to our fantastic free homes atthe end of the month when the next welfare check comes right? Wrong if you want natives to change stop treating them different in your every day life and maybe than they'll be able to accept that we are the same
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #83

Also it's not about what happened hundreds of years ago it's what happened less than a century ago it's what affected generations that still live today our ancestors try our parents and grandparents taken from their homes and brutalized my mothers father escaped it and his wife did not and she beat my eldest aunt and uncle because she thought that was how white people raised their children becuase that's the way she was raised by the white people at her residential school.

Don't get me wrong I am not against you all I am with you I want my people to take a step forward out of the shadows and become more respected. But they can't do it because we have to deal with everything that's said in these threads all the time
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-18-2010, 01:46 AM   #84
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
by were all the same I mean regular people Im a much better person than you could ever hope to be
Posted via RS Mobile
Good for you. Now how much of that did my friends and I pay for?

Whether you've used those benefits to the same degree as your peers or not, until it changes that the Native Indian status alone entitles you to government benefits, I don't see how "the regular people" will change their outlook on Native Indians.

Last edited by Noir; 07-18-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #85

You and your friends probably paid for about as much as my life as I have since I was old enough to pay taxes I have my tax returns go back a good 12 years with no exemptions my fathers go back atleast 40 (he's 58) my mothers go back a good 30 my sisters go back 15 my brothers go back 14 you get my drift? I pay taxes too I paid for "them" as much as you and your friends my family like hundreds if not thousands of off reserve natives pay taxes just as you do.

And for the record my native status was taken when my people finalized their treaty.

So am I still different than you aside from my skin color?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-18-2010, 02:58 AM   #86
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Oh god, not more native demands. Seriously, why are they still whining?

No one should have to apologize for winning. I don't get why white people even feel guilty about it.

I'm Chinese and Chinese people had to work on railroads or some shit here in Canada in basically slave conditions. You don't see me crying about head taxes and whatever my people had to do a hundred years ago.
Dude, i don't want to pay taxes on my new exhaust, I need a status card... STAT! and it better be in chinese.

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
a cocky native to FURTHER the stereotype...

Quote:
You and your friends probably paid for about as much as my life as I have since I was old enough to pay taxes I have my tax returns go back a good 12 years with no exemptions my fathers go back atleast 40 (he's 58) my mothers go back a good 30 my sisters go back 15 my brothers go back 14 you get my drift? I pay taxes too I paid for "them" as much as you and your friends my family like hundreds if not thousands of off reserve natives pay taxes just as you do.

And for the record my native status was taken when my people finalized their treaty.

So am I still different than you aside from my skin color?
Posted via RS Mobile
so uh... did you get into UBC with that kind run-on like sentence structure there?
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-18-2010, 03:03 AM   #87
Banned (ABWS)

If natives want to be on the same level as the rest of vancouver, maybe they should do something about it besides bitch. Look at philipino people or any other race, they come to canada, work shitty jobs, do their best to make ends meet and they find ways to make money, be comfurtable. all natives need to know is that hard works prevails in the end. Walking around acting to "thug" won't make ur family less poort, some kids need to stop fighting, drinking, blazing and go get a job, help out at home. Why is it that single moms do better than full natives family? Its bullshit, you got all ur offerings years ago. They should be thrilled that their requests are even being entertained.
Posted via RS Mobile
Ranterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #88

Nope I didn't, never had the thought of going to a university like that. Was there for hockey school once though. And what stereotype am I furthering? Please enlighten me if my people had the confidence I have we wouldn't be here right now talking about this would we? You want to put me in my place your gonna have to try a lot harder than that or maybe you could just open your eyes and see that what I am saying is truthful.

Ps. you sound like my English prof, never was good with punctuation when I type something meaningful.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #89
Banned (ABWS)

is this thread racist or are all the rants here completely justified?
BaoXu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:47 AM   #90
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Thank you for proving my point.

Cut them off and they either get their shit together or come by your house or mine and slit our throats for another fix.

It's nobody's problem until it becomes ours. <------ didn't come out right. Anyway........... this thread has run its course for me. I'll just sit back and enjoy.

Actually, I'm curious what it's like in Hong Kong.
I'm sure there are drugs there. And poverty must surely exist there too, but there isn't a social safety net like ours.

Doesn't that just force a more productive city?
Either you work, or you die from starvation.

I'm not sure if there's a minimum wage there, but I suspect not.

Just let free market run it's course without government interference from:
a. minimum wage
b. allowing unions
c. putting up with special interest groups
Old 07-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #91
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:

Are you Nisga'a? If so, can you help me (us) understand why the Nisga'a gave up their native status in that treaty?
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #92
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
But your views are all skewed and incorrect. Natives pay for their homes they just pay less than you, but struggle with those debts just as much or more because they have hard times gettingthe job that you got because your not a drunk. Who's to say he is? Well you of course cause all natives are the same once we come off the reserve were all just drunken savages lookingto hurt you than we scurry back to our fantastic free homes atthe end of the month when the next welfare check comes right? Wrong if you want natives to change stop treating them different in your every day life and maybe than they'll be able to accept that we are the same
Posted via RS Mobile
I have done ALOT of work, and I mean alot, working for a foundation here that rescues animals that are abused on Reserves. Basically, we would build pens for these animals so they would have a place to stay, instead of being chain up, to the point where their skin grows around their collars. I've seen dead dogs, due to the miscare of their owners. Due to the fact that I am an animal lover, and I have seen some fucking disgusting dogs, I would classify these people as "savage"

When going to the reserves to build these pens, 9 out of 10 times EVERYONE of age in the house is drinking, and sometimes smoking pot, from the time we get there, till the time we leave (usually 8am arrival 5pm departure). No one is thankful, no one gives a fucking rats ass about their pets, their homes etc. I have not once seen a property that is not covered in shit, garbage, cars etc. They have AMAZING fucking properties, beautiful views etc. One place in particular, I'm not sure of the reserve name, but they just had a brand new school built for them. GREAT, yet the rest of the reserve looks like a gigantic bag of shit.

I do not consider my self a racist, and have a few native friends who I've met at College, which is fucking great! Correct me if I'm wrong, BUT they get free schooling? Yeah, and I've seen MAYBE 1 or 2 in college/uni. The ones that I do know are trying to make a difference for their people. GREAT, to bad it's .00001% of their people, the rest? Who knows. I don't treat them different in "every day life", as I stated, I'm great friends with everyone I have met in College/Uni, but when "every day life" involves getting drunk all day, every day, it's kinda hard not to group them with the fucking drunks, drug addicts and other pos's of society?

I have seen first hand these conditions, and have spoken in depth with the owner of the foundation who works strictly (for the past 25 years I believe) with Native Americans and abused animals....so it's kinda hard not to group them into this catagory. It's difficult when the bad far out number the good, from personal experience (nothing more)

Last edited by _Hotsauce_; 07-18-2010 at 09:39 AM.
_Hotsauce_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Are you Nisga'a? If so, can you help me (us) understand why the Nisga'a gave up their native status in that treaty?
We had no choice that's what it means to sign a treaty to become self governed you are no longer wards of the court thus no longer a status native
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #94
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Let me get this straight, the aboriginals lost their land to European invaders, but to this day is getting compensated for losing?

I can't think of any example where the losing team gets compensated by the winners.

Everyone has to earn their way through life. NO exceptions. Everyone on here believes it, but the damn government is too PC to do shit about it.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hotsauce_ View Post
I have done ALOT of work, and I mean alot, working for a foundation here that rescues animals that are abused on Reserves. Basically, we would build pens for these animals so they would have a place to stay, instead of being chain up, to the point where their skin grows around their collars. I've seen dead dogs, due to the miscare of their owners. Due to the fact that I am an animal lover, and I have seen some fucking disgusting dogs, I would classify these people as "savage"

When going to the reserves to build these pens, 9 out or 10 times EVERYONE of age in the house is drinking, and sometimes smoking pot, from the time we get there, till the time we leave (usually 8am arrival 5pm departure). No one is thankful, no one gives a fucking rats ass about their pets, their homes etc. I have not once seen a property that is not covered in shit, garbage, cars etc. They have AMAZING fucking properties, beautiful views etc. One place in particular, I'm not sure of the reserve name, but they just had a brand new school built for them. GREAT, yet the rest of the reserve looks like a gigantic bag of shit.

I do not consider my self a racist, and have a few native friends who I've met at College, which is fucking great! Correct me if I'm wrong, BUT they get free schooling? Yeah, and I've seen MAYBE 1 or 2 in college/uni. The ones that I do know are trying to make a difference for their people. GREAT, to bad it's .00001% of their people, the rest? Who knows. I don't treat them different in "every day life", as I stated, I'm great friends with everyone I have met in College/Uni, but when "every day life" involves getting drunk all day, every day, it's kinda hard not to group them with the fucking drunks, drug addicts and other pos's of society?

I have seen first hand these conditions, and have spoken in depth with the owner of the foundation who works strictly (for the past 25 years I believe) with Native Americans and abused animals....I'd say she's got a pretty good idea of WTF is up.
You probably know more natives than I do and have been to more reserves than me too right? I've never encountered such attrocities not with any of my family or friends from the reserve ive owned two dogs and love em both one lived 15 years the other is now 16 my aunt has a 12 year old boxer we are not all the same just because your limited experience tells you so.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #96
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
I can't think of any example where the losing team gets compensated by the winners.

Slavery reparations
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Let me get this straight, the aboriginals lost their land to European invaders, but to this day is getting compensated for losing?

Everyone has to earn their way through life. NO exceptions. Everyone on here believes it, but the damn government is too PC to do shit about it.
It's not really just about losing our land it's more about what happened after losing our land you take a peoples land fine that's war you brutalize those people that's a crime of humanity.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #98
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Even every
young native gets a good sized handout when they reach a specific age.

Where do u get your facts? did u just step off the boat yesterday?
98twofourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #99
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Also it's not about what happened hundreds of years ago it's what happened less than a century ago it's what affected generations that still live today our ancestors try our parents and grandparents taken from their homes and brutalized my mothers father escaped it and his wife did not and she beat my eldest aunt and uncle because she thought that was how white people raised their children becuase that's the way she was raised by the white people at her residential school.

Don't get me wrong I am not against you all I am with you I want my people to take a step forward out of the shadows and become more respected. But they can't do it because we have to deal with everything that's said in these threads all the time
Posted via RS Mobile
I couldnt have said it better myself, its amazing the amount of ignorant assumptions people make and then base there treatment of native ppl upon there ignorant thoughts. I cant stand these threads because there are so many people who know fuckin diddly squat speaking up instead of picking up a book, or learning anything about what has happened to native canadians. Ill bet less then 5 people here have ever even heard of a treaty.
98twofourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #100
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
^

This thread is full of ignorance about the past and generalizations about native people. I'm sure most people on revscene are better than the posters in this thread, they just avoid replying because it's pointless arguing with a bunch of tools that only understand history through their presentist context
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: